DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My top movies of 2009 (so far)

Emperor

Damn Empy, stop posting a new list every few days. 

Well I watch new stuff! Last night I watched The Hurt Locker.  Very good film but still lacked that knock out punch that made me fall in love with the film.  However after mulling it over I have decided to give it the number 4 slot on my list.  I think I have seen the core of what will make up the best picture nominations this year... and I have to say no movie stands out this year.  I think Up in the Air should win but in any other year this might not even be nominated.  I would be alright if Precious won.  I will not be alright if Avatar wins.  It isn't fair to make a pretty movie with a recycled plot and win best picture.

1. 500 Days of Summer

2. Up In The Air

3. District 9

4. The Hurt Locker

5. Star Trek

6. Zombieland

7. Adventureland

8. Taken

9. Sunshine Cleaning

10. Inglourious Basterds

Just out of Top 10:  Precious, I Love you, Man, Avatar, Invictus, The Hangover, The Road, Watchmen, Away We Go

Movies that could make the list but haven't seen yet...

Moon, Sherlock Holmes, Where the Wild Things Are, Up, The Lovely Bones, A Serious Man, Nine, A Serious Man, Bronson, Moon and Fantastic Mr Fox

1.500 Days of Summer

2.Star Trek

3.District 9

4.Zombieland

5.Adventureland

6.Up

7.Taken

8.Inglorious Basterds

9.The Hurt Locker

10.Moon

Almost made the list:  I Love You, Man, Public Enemies

Edit: Saw Zombieland.  It was great.  Moon was really good too, very well done.  Hurt Locker barely edged Moon out of the #9 spot.  Hurt Locker was more actioney and funny while Moon was more 2001: A Space Oddessy-ish and thought-provoking.  Sam Rockwell did a great job as pretty much the only character; he can be found in many side-roles in the past decade, but he's really come into his own recently and I expect much more out of him.

• 2 weeks later...

Moon just made the list. 

1. 500 Days of Summer

2. Moon

3. Up In The Air

4. District 9

5. The Hurt Locker

6. Star Trek

7. Zombieland

8. Adventureland

9. Taken

10. Sunshine Cleaning

Just out of Top 10:  Inglourious Basterds, Precious, I Love you, Man, Avatar, Invictus, The Hangover, The Road, Watchmen, Away We Go

Movies that could make the list but haven't seen yet...

The Blind Side, An Education, Sherlock Holmes, Where the Wild Things Are, Up, The Lovely Bones, A Serious Man, A Serious Man, Bronson, and Fantastic Mr Fox

• 4 weeks later...

Watched An Education, Crazy Heart, Blind Side, Sherlock Holmes, Avatar, and Men Who Stare At Goats since I last updated.  None made the list.  Up in the Air did make the list and I took of Inglorious Basterds and switched around Moon and Up in the Air

1.500 Days of Summer

2.Star Trek

3.District 9

4.Zombieland

5.Adventureland

6.Up

7.Taken

8. Moon

9. Up in the Air

10.The Hurt Locker

Almost made the list:  I Love You, Man, Public Enemies, A Serious Man, Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day

Still to see:

Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Precious, A Single Man, Julie & Julia

• 7 months later...

Damn Emp, necro much...

But I just watched a few other movies from 2009 and needed to add them to my list. Unlike Krak who adds the 2009 movies to his 2010 list... loser :P Bolded are new...

1. 500 Days of Summer

2. Moon

3. The Hurt Locker

4. Up In The Air

5. District 9

6. A Serious Man

7. A Single Man

8. Star Trek

9. Zombieland

10. Adventureland

Honorable mentions: Taken, Sunshine Cleaning, Watchmen, The Hangover, I love you man, Inglourious Basterds

Archived