DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Step too far [ATTN Lavinya and then Open]

tismeb4u

Corin was a thunderhead building on the horizon. Only this thunderhead was moving swiftly toward a dedicated target. Internally he fumed at the whole thought; it was preposterous. How dare she. The woman already controlled almost all of his waking time and also some of his non waking. How dare she now step in and dictate, dictate of all things, his training methods and partners. Anger seethed within him, the void farthest from his mind. Cool thought, the voids isolation, a moment of collective reasoning and he probably could have reined it under control. But he didn't want it under control. Not this time, not now. He grasped on to that anger, fueled it with more reason and basket in it's growing glow. She had gone to far and enough was enough. He would straighten this out once and for all. He was not a mat or shawl underling for her to trample and command as she wanted. A lawful order in the confines of the true relation between the Guard and the Aes Sedai he could handle. I could couldn't I? A small twitch of his head cleared the thought as he entered one of the plain doors from the yard into the Tower.

Novices , normally flirty or cool in their attempt to mimic the sisters, scattered beneath the glare that was chiseled into a molten face of determined anger. Corin did not slow or soften that expression for them or the Accepted that look to challenge him for a moment until his steps carried him past while she was still pulling herself up to full height. A martial battle drum, the hard ringing beat of his boots on the polished floor stones announced his passage. Only the luck of the Wheels generous Weaving brought no sisters in his path or his journey would surely have ended there. Flames in stand lamp guttered in the wake of his passing; the red cloak swirling the air currents to whip the flame tops nearest him.

He had both fought with and against mercenaries in the year he was abroad looking futilely for Sirayn. Blood and ashes the flaming woman should have know that. How could she possible have decided to put his training in tie with them without so much as even the courtesy of asking. The fires within leaped at the thought and he relished their caress. No, he was not about to train with something he despised. Oh sure, some of the groups where not that bad, but there was more rotten apples then not that he had found. Perhaps it had to do with the area's he had to work out of on his failing chase. But it still set a bitter taste in his mouth that he was not yet about to let go. How in the deepest pit of Shayol Ghul did she think he had afforded to be on that search as long as he had? It's not like he was noble born and everything he kissed turned to gold. Bloody flaming goats hind end was all he would have found at the end of his lucks kiss.

Storming through intersecting halls Corin's gaze swiveled down both crossing halls and spotted the shape that would bear his fury. The cadence of the battle march hardly missed it's beat as his step swung around to carry him down the crossing hall. She seemed to pay no mind to the sound that reverberated off the walls; rung loud in his own ears. Nothing else existed to him in that hallway save for his target; the archers arrow destine on the archer's target without fail once loosed. No tapestry, no lamp stands, no servants nor any other occupant in the Tower existed in the focused view of Corin's target. If there were others they were oblivious in the rage that welled up for it's release.

The stopping step as he arrived right behind her should have driven his boot through the stone floor with the force that was exerted in it's mating. It was pale in comparison to the sudden snap of her neck and shoulders when his grasp caught her upper arm and whirled her in place. He used her own forward momentum to complete the spin with force, fingers burying to a bruising level in the tender flesh of her right arm. “Who do you think you are woman!” His voice was raw with the heat of his anger and bounced heavily off the wall behind her. “You have no bloody right to tell me who I will train with. No bloody right at all. Mothers milk in a cup, you are not my commander nor my keeper. My training is my own, the cloak earned and the right given.” As if to emphasis the point his left hand rose with a clutch of the red cloth, darker next to the white of his over clenched knuckles, to ensure she could see the cloak. “Don't presume to think for one moment that I dance to your tune. I am not some fool girl in the snowy white of Tower servitude.” His face had closed to mere inches from her own as he had ranted at her. He could feel the tender folds of skin bulging between his fingers under the pressure of his grip but her pain mattered not to him. She was incapable of pain, incapable of any feeling other then the task of ruining his life in payment for what he had done to her and to her master; Sirayn. The thought bloomed stormy disapproving eyes in his mind. But he only challenged them more; sneering both mentally at the disembodied eyes and physically at the prize in his hand. “I decide who I train with not you Aes Sedai,” challenge laced heavily around the title as it slipped from his mouth. He purposely left her name off of it. Title she claimed by right of passage and even he could not fully rebuke that portion of the training ingrained into his fibers. But he did not have to offer it warmth or the acceptance of her existence beyond title only. There was a slim chance that the idea had been Saline Sedai's alone. But he gave it no time to live, no opportunity to become a reasonable explanation. He was angry, beyond angry. Everything since his arrival seemed to bloom into this one perfect storm of anger that seethed within him and rushed forth in his actions and words.

She had no warning. Upon reflection, Lavinya recognised that the echoing, purposeful footfalls should have given her some sort of indication of the storm about to crash over her head, but she had been far too preoccupied with matters that for once did not include Corin bloody Danveer. It had been a rare moment, all too soon ruined by the man himself. Shocked outrage had surged through Lavinya from the moment she was whirled bodily to face Corin and his terrible rage. Indeed, she had been well prepared to firmly set down the cur who dared to lay his hands on her person before she realised just who the man handler was and that he was in an exceedingly volatile mood. Every muscle in his frame seemed to be tensed; his powerful hand clenched tightly about her slim arm reminding her just how strong the warrior was. His fingers bit deep, no doubt leaving bruises. This was a man at the edge of his control. For the first time, Lavinya felt a hint of fear in his presence.

A maelstrom of emotion was swirling within Lavinya, shock flicking to fear to confusion, joining to bubble in a red hot fury as wild as his own. What under the light had riled his temper this time? It was true he had been excessively surly since his return and often short tempered, but this rage was just confusing. Surely he was mistaken about something…unless he had found out about Elise. But that was impossible, and thankfully evidently not the issue. Lavinya narrowed her eyes, glaring frostily at Corin for all the world as though she had him in a crushing grip and not the other way around. Her initial shock had rendered her momentarily speechless, allowing the fool man to continue his embarrassing tirade. Corin was way out of line. It was time for leniency and patience to make way for a firm reminder of who she was and that his place was at heel.

“Enough!” Lavinya’s voice was hard and cold as steel. Gone was the woman filled with romantic notions of love – Lavinya was every inch the forceful, unyielding Aes Sedai .“You go too far Master Danveer.” Fury danced in her eyes as she glared up at him, the weeks of pent up frustration begging for an excuse to lash out. “Remove your hand before I remove it permanently from your arm.” The ice in her tone was hardly diminished by the soft menace of her voice. She had tolerated far too much of his disrespect and scorn. She was Aes Sedai! Kings and queens would bend their knee to her, and here she was plagued by a tormenting ingrate who thought nothing of insulting and abusing her in public. “It is you who have forgotten your identity.” Corin’s grip seemed to tighten for a moment before relaxing just enough for Lavinya to yank her arm free, denying the urge to rub the vivid red prints that stood out against her tanned skin. “A Tower Guard once, you have yet to prove yourself worthy of that title once more. And this outrageous display does little to help your cause. You are lucky I don’t haul you back to the yards right this second for a sound whipping.” Lavinya was painfully aware of the public spectacle they were making. Had Corin lost all common sense? Did he not see how much worse he had made it for himself by launching his attack in front of witnesses? Lavinya could hardly let him of easily now, even if she had been of a mind to. And at the moment the idea of beating some sense into the fool was vastly pleasing.

“Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t do just that, child.” She sneered the last in a nasty parody of the way he had used her title moments before. If he wanted her to be naught but the ring and shawl, she would give satisfaction.  “And then you can explain to me just what has caused you to lose your wits in such a dramatic fashion, since I have no bloody idea what you are in a lather about.”

Lavinya

Just give me an excuse...

Confliction surged within him as Corin regarded her; Lavinya’s voice filled with authority and challenge washing over him. Training relaxed muscles in the preparation for the dance. She stood her ground and offered up to him a challenge. Steel and martial training against the One Power and her weaving of it. Could she actually do it? Could she weave Saidar to do such a thing to a guard? Once more her tone challenged him and he squeezed down on her arm as a reminder of who stood in control at the moment. The other feeling that surged to make up the confliction was in the pit of his stomach. It was not fear or even regret. The feeling slipped past his conscious ability to discern like water through his fingers when trying to grasp it. What feeling could possibly reside within that would not fit the molds he applied?

With his conscience distracted Corin’s grip on Lavinya’s arm slacked slightly and he felt her pull free before he could adjust. The unplaced emotion within forgotten as he faced off against her; his free hand now empty closing to shake under the force of the clench. The woman needed to be put over someone’s knee and swatted like the spoilt brat she was being. A muscle twitch in his face was his only response to the comment about whipping as tension seized it. A haze of red threatened to color his vision as fury tried to reach a fevered level but he drove it down hard; using the energy he wanted to use on her internally instead. He needed to find the flame, find clarity in the void. Only he resisted its calling. Too much had he done with out emotion. She wanted him to open up to her? Well he was open now. Every raw feeling was there in the tension and set of his jaw; the slight vibration of his hands. Let her look and see what he felt; then let her explain herself.

The chaotic dark laughter that rumbled up from deep on his chest echoed off the dispassionate stone walls before he knew it had life. The vision of her frail form trying to man-handle him into the yard and attempt to swing the whip with any accuracy was absurd. She could straighten her back as much as she wanted. But in the end if she did not have the use of Saidar she could do nothing against him. From the dark swirling recesses of his mind a picture of dark tendrils reaching out of the glinting silver bobber as the heated water leached its contents to make the tea flicked into view. It had been the scene that night he had made that special tea for Sirayn. The thought of Lavinya without the use of Saidar has brought the image back. An image he had thought he had finally gotten over; had thought he had finally come to terms with. It bound his tongue to the roof of his mouth as he met Lavinya’s challenging gaze with his own.

“No bloody idea,” a violent whisper filled with unbelief. “You stand there like the world owes you their lives and servitude and try to tell me you have no bloody idea why I am here!” His voice had been slowly climbing until he ended yelling in her face. He stepped in close to her again, body almost pressed against her. She seemed to tense for a moment, sending a thrill rushing though him. Her back was just short of meeting the wall, but it remained iron straight. “Next you will try to tell me that it was not your goat kissing idea to have me training with the Red Arms. That you hadn’t even thought of it. Well let me tell you woman,” for all the anger that stormed within him his face had begun to slip toward blankness. The void was slipping over him as he had always trained. It was rising to collect him subconsciously; his focus else where allowing it to claim him. “I will train in the yard with the guards as I have always and you can take your idea and go kiss an ox’s hind end.” His voice by the end settled into the quiet edge of naked steel common with the void. “I’m not your mentee Aes Sedai. I’m not your personal puppet and I am definitely not your bondmate Aes Sedai.” The last was emphasized with movement. His left hand streaked past the side of her head. Her title punctuated with the sickly wet sound of flesh meeting unyielding stone, the sound of cracking bones at odds with the emptiness in his eyes.

Pain lashed up his arm, like lightening bolts it drove through his shoulder and crashed against the smooth glassy surface of the void. Enveloped it but did nothing more, not even a crack in its surface as the pain battered it and then fell away. When he let the void go it would be there waiting for him. A wolf waiting in the dark for the opportunity to pounce. Letting his bleeding left hand fall back to his side, Corin adjusted the Red Cloak on his shoulders as if to emphasis he still wore it. They had taken him back under several conditions. But for now it was his again and he would not stand here and listen to her try to belittle his owner ship of it. Without asking or waiting for permission to leave he spun on his heels as if to depart, pausing while the black spots in his vision subsided. He would not let her see him fall. He would not give her that satisfaction. 

Corin

Defiant

Lavinya had hoped in vain that her authoritative tone would quell Corin's outburst somewhat. Instead, he laughed at her. Laughed. At her. If looks could kill, Corin would have departed to meet his maker in that moment. Any guard with an ounce of common sense would have at least moderated their tone, but Corin seemed to have gone well beyond any sense of control, his voice rising until he was shouting in her face. She tried to appear unaffected, but when he took a menacing step forward she could not help but fall back, her spine stiff as though fighting her apprehension. His words still made very little sense, though comprehension was dawning at the edges of her mind. Unfortunately, his actions were reviving barely suppressed memories of the last time someone had dared to treat her so disgracefully. The image of Linten swam into view, physically threatening her, rejoicing in her fear. Lavinya was sickened by it, panic rising like bile in her throat.

Desperately Lavinya held onto her courage, the hard eyes that stared down Corin belying her inner battle. Corin was not like that monster, she reminded herself. He was intelligent and kind and filled with a pain he refused to let her share. This was a momentary lapse, a brief lowering of his guard. It was natural that he would turn his anger onto her, she decided. Corin didn't enjoy seeing her cower, did not revel in the position of power. Telling herself this did not prevent her from jumping with alarm when Corin's fist slammed into the wall beside her head, as though the blow had been aimed at her person instead. Indeed, she believed he really did want to hit her, so terrible was his rage.

The notion hurt almost as much as his last statement.

The sharp sting of unshed tears burned her throat, but Lavinya swallowed them away. She would not disgrace herself that much as to cry, not in front of Corin or the interested witnesses in the corridor. She had survived Linten's cruelty, surely Corin was a walk in the park in comparison. If only it wasn't midnight and she wasn't blindfolded and bound. No, he was not her warder. Nor would he likely

ever be, now. A cruel reminder of just how badly she had blundered.

"Stop." The word was soft but no less of a command. "I have not dismissed you, guard." Lavinya stepped forward before Corin could continue to walk away, reaching out to grasp the wrist of his injured hand. Not bothering to ask permission, Lavinya channeled, delving briefly to assess the damage done. She heard Corin's sharp intake of breath at the rush of saidar but paid him no heed, her grip as firm and unrelenting as his had been, if decidedly more gentle. It must be hurting like the pit of doom, no less than he deserved. Furious brown eyes clashed with green as she found his gaze. "If you are through trying to intimidate me and parading through the tower like an uncivilised brute I suggest we finish this delightful conversation in private." Sarcasm dripped from her words like honey as her fingers shifted to put a slight pressure on a skinned knuckle, heedless of the blood staining her fingertips. "When I am satisfied that you are repentant for this disgraceful display, I may deign to heal you." Abruptly Lavinya let him go and strode down the hall, opening a door partway down into an empty classroom.

Standing back, Lavinya pointed into the dim depths of the windowless room. "Inside, now, before I lose what little is left of my patience. You are correct that you are not my warder, master Danveer, but you will do as I say, as ordered by the captain of the guard." Challenge again shimmered in her gaze as she waited for Corin to obey or suffer the consequences.

Lavinya

“Stop” The word held authority still, there was no doubt in that. But it was soft, almost soothing to his anger; a wet blanket trying to smother the edges of the rage inside. It froze his feet to the floor though he still wanted to depart from her. Something in that tone reverberated deep within. It awakened a hair thin thread of emotion he had buried a long time ago. Why did she have to be the one to hold the leash? Why could Sirayn not have tasked his punishment with someone else? Had he truly been that bad to her? No. No he had been loyal to her. If she refused that all he had done was in her interest it was nothing he could address now. But why did she have to use Lavinya of all people? He could have better handled this from anyone save her. Sirayn was a genius to the end in the art of making lives miserable when the task called for it.

The sensation of her gentle firm grip on his wrist kept his feet planted as she stepped around to face him, his eyes trying to hold on to the heat of anger that had surged in them; the flames beginning to die down. His breath caught as the icy sensation rushed through his wrist and was gone. Saidar, no doubt she was checking his injuries before deciding how best to chastise him. His eyes met her furious gaze and he forced them not to shed away as her focus intensified. Pain burrowed deep into his arm and raced for his shoulder as her fingers pressed into one of his damaged knuckles. His eyes widened the smallest of movements; indicating she had his attention with the cleverly placed pressure. It would have been imperceptible from any distance beyond that of  Lavinya and she seemed to accept it as a response; suddenly releasing his hand and moving back down the hall to a door.

His eyes flicked to the open door and then back to her own. She had taken over control of the situation and had narrowed his options in short order to acceptance or out right disobedience. The reference to the power the Commander had placed in her hands over him was not lost to him. It would not just be Lavinya he would face if he continued down the road he had started in the hallway. Was the cloak really worth all this hassle and frustration. His hand brushed along the fabric’s edge with the thought. He had earned the right at one time. A right that hung in the balance scales now in Lavinya’s hands. He still had not moved, his eyes studying the composed form of his aggravation; good hand still brushing the red cloth draped over his shoulders. A small arch in her delicate brow as it was raised over one eye in challenge was the final nail.

The truth was he loved the accomplishment in reaching the red cloak. It was a part of him, part of his identity and he was not about to let it go with out a fight. That was why he had returned in the first place. It was also part of an oath sworn to a woman that in the end despised him; he could never bring himself to anything other then love for the infuriating woman. Now, her legacy had been passed down to Lavinya it seemed. Well at least in so far as controlling Corin’s life. A role she had jumped into with whole heart to see he was suitably punished for his transgressions. So be it, he had made the bed. It was time to lie in it … again. Jade green eyes flicked back to the entrance, after what he had already endured how could it possibly get worse. His back remained straight, his shoulders set back, but his steps now were soft. The harsh ring of his arrival no more as he stepped lightly toward the room. It was not an acceptance of defeat he told himself. It was simply a means to an end; to a return of full ownership of the cloak draped over his shoulders and his life. It was then, as he made the short journey to the room that he realized they where not alone. He kept his eyes trained on the room but could note others in his peripheral view. What had happened to him? This was not the man that use to reside here in the tower. The throbbing in his hand reinforcing the thought.

His steps slow and purposeful brought him to a point between Lavinya and the dark expanse of the windowless room. Darkness, as if he had not spent enough time in its embrace. If it was not physical then it was the darkness in his own mind. Either way it seemed he visited the darkness all too often since Sirayn’s disappearance. Perhaps they were right, perhaps he was unstable. He paused before the entrance, eyes cutting to meet with those deep brown pools he had once found shelter and reason in. They held determined authority and cool distance now. So very at odds with what he had always seen before. The air around them seem to pause as if the Tower itself had suddenly held its breath. The dust motes in the slanting shafts of light seemed to slow their swirling dance as the air currents came to a stand still. He could feel the eyes of others on them; a distant twitch he gave no care to. They had gotten their eye full already. No doubt the word of this incident was rampant in rumors, eyes and ears carrying the scene to their respective handlers. How many times had he heard Sirayn talk down those that had found themselves in similar situation. She had to be livid as she watched the pattern and the great mess her one time student was making of it.

Nothing in her expression changed, the challenge was still there. Her full drawn height still demanded respect and commanded authority. Did the innocent girl still peek out from behind those long lashes? Did she even exist anymore? For all that Corin held in his own darkness Lavinya held more. She was no longer the woman he had met in the garden, no longer the companion he had shared his feelings with. No longer the Aes Sedai he had rejected as a bondmate. She was harder now, more emotional, and under all the façade of control and authority; much more fragile then she had been before she had left on her own excursion. His eyes still glowed of defiance and his posture screamed of it. But the heavy heat of anger had subsided for now.

Turning on heel without so much as a word Corin entered the room and settled into the darkness at the back of its confines. The room felt cooler then the hall; an effect of his dwindling anger perhaps. He could just make out the mortar lines between the stones in the shadowy light drifting in from the hall. How many times had he found himself in a dark room, the faint glimmer of hope flickering within, only to have his hope crushed and the floor stained red. His hands closed reactively and he winced as pain raged in his ruined left. A different room, different time, and a different purpose. The only red to stain the floor this time was the slow drip from his hand. Light suddenly bloomed as a lamp stand flicked to life bathing the wall in its flickering soft glow and harsh shadows. Was he still willing to go the distance to retain the cloak?

The dim cast of the hallway light on the wall slowly fell away until, with the soft click of the latch, it was gone and only the flickering light of the one lamp pooled the room in its glow. Corin’s back remained to the room, straight as if he was in an inspection line. She had set the cadence to this meeting whether she chose to acknowledge it or not. He was not the one who had decided to train with the Red Arms. The thought added a little heat to the dwindling anger but very little. With the void still embracing him he could sense her movement; ears caught the slight swish of her skirts as she moved deeper into the room toward him. He should release the void and face her as himself, but he did not trust his control of emotions. The pain in his had would only be another distraction to agitate his ire and set him off again. Better to keep its caress and hope that the light found a way to bring a clearer mind for the game. The movement stopped behind him, how close he was not sure. He couldn’t feel her presence, couldn’t feel the heat of her breath so she was not right behind him. But without turning he did not know how far away she was. The pause stretched out, silence trying to wear down his defenses. Shifting his weight slightly to lean to one side, he focused on the wavy shadow of the rooms only other occupant and waited.

Corin

When had Corin become so unpredictable? It seemed the longest time that Lavinya was forced to wait for a response, entirely uncertain as to whether Corin would obey or continue down the path to inevitable punishment. Her heartbeat seemed deafening in her ears, anger at having been pushed this far still brightening her eyes and keeping her spine ramrod straight. She waited, meeting the defiance in his gaze with cool authority. Why did it have to come to this? She was trying to heal the man, not brow beat him into submission, though the light alone knew she had pondered whether that would indeed be the easier option. His pain was trapped inside like a dormant volcano, the pressure slowly building and bubbling until it inevitably spewed forth in a violent rage. At least it was better than the coolly detached, polite façade he showed more often, his anger had been real.

Relief flooded through Lavinya as Corin stepped silently into the classroom, her muscles relaxing ever so slightly as she followed him and closed the door. Maybe now he would be reasonable, she thought, and if not, at least they had some measure of privacy. No doubt tongues were already wagging excitedly over the gossip. Lavinya hoped that the story had not been exaggerated too far before it reached Pia Sedai’s ears – the head of the Gray Ajah did not look well on public spectacles created by her sisters. Not that Lavinya had been the cause, she reflected. Indeed, so far she believed herself to have behaved with considerable calm. Bloody Corin and his wild allegations. Had he deliberately tried to make a fool out of her in that hall? Better for him if she never learned he had, or he would sorely regret it. Her jaw tightened as her ire flared once more. No one made Lavinya look a fool and got away with it.

Corin kept his back to her, giving Lavinya a moment to consider her cause of action. She was still very, very angry with him, and the look in his eyes had warned her that he hadn’t completely given away his own irritation. Lighting the lamp with saidar allowed Lavinya some focus for her emotions, the small rush of the power like liquid joy in her veins. Calm and serene, that was how she would be. It would help if she fully understood the half-formed accusations he had thrown at her between insults. Training with the Red Guard, or the like? She certainly had no issued such an order, but there had been a conversation…with Saline. Had the young red taken it upon herself to pass it on to Corin? It was the only logical explanation, and if it were true Lavinya would have a long chat with the younger Aes Sedai and firmly remind her to stay out of Lavinya’s affairs. Especially since the conversation had consisted largely of Lavinya wondering out loud after a particularly trying day. 

Silence hung thick in the still air, Corin still not facing the focus of his earlier fury. Looking at him standing there in the shadows, so proud and wounded, clenched Lavinya’s heart and melted away much of the fire of anger. He was chafing at the bit, she knew that. But there was no other way she could think of to save him. That anyone else could be successful at the task was something she stubbornly refused to even contemplate – Corin was her responsibility and the unwitting holder of her love, even after all the space that lay between them. She moved closer, hands wanting to reach out and hold him close, to ease and soothe. Instinct told her he would not welcome such a move, especially in his volatile mood, and Lavinya did not desire more humiliation at his hands.

At long last Lavinya stepped closer, reaching up to lightly cradle his head in her hands. The air needed to be cleared between them, and the process would only be hampered whilever Corin’s hand throbbed at his side. Fool man, she thought as she opened herself again for the sweet song of saidar to fill her, always thinking with their brawn and forgetting that they are mere mortals. Tendrils of spirit were interwoven with air and water as she channelled, her cool hands against Corin’s warm skin the focus point for the connection. In that instant she knew every minor ailment, from the blister on one heel to the aged bruises on his shoulder. Lavinya’s scowled. The bloody man had been sparring again, no doubt. If he wanted to be beaten so badly, she would happily oblige him. Ignoring the way Corin gasped and arched, she held him firmly but gently as bone knitted and flesh healed.

It did not take long, but it had required some measure of effort on her part. Letting her hands fall, Lavinya moved away, slipping onto a desk as she continued to watch Corin, hands braced beside her thighs. If only she could heal his emotional wounds as easily as the physical, she thought wryly, noting the way he experimentally flexed his fingers. “Your injuries weren’t too extensive but you will still need a good meal and some rest, but that can wait until you explain yourself.” Lavinya crossed one knee over the other and kicked her foot in a rather agitated manner, relieved of most of her earlier anger but still determined to have it out with the infuriating cur. “What have I done this time to anger you so? Contrary to popular belief, that is not usually my intention.”

Lavinya

Attempting to be Reasonable

Time stretched out in the small distance between them. A burden of silence growing in weight and size; his anger demanded he lash out and shatter the silence. Pain in a riot of colors like a night flowers bloom battered at the void he was wrapped in. But registered by his ears was only the soft plop sound of the blood droplets falling from his hand to the hard stone floor. Where had his path gone so terribly wrong? Many answers came flooding back into his mind a mire of confusion and noise as they played across the surface of the void. Too many to realize, far too many to acknowledge there individual identities. Perhaps this was the wheels purpose for his life’s thread all along. Perhaps he was never to be part of the happier weavings, his purpose to set the stage for the removal of one of the greatest threads he could think of in their time. Sirayn, her life thread was all that had mattered for so long in his life. It was the only one, until … as if on queue, Lavinya’s hands closed lightly on his head.

He knew at the instance of contact what would happen. He had been healed before. Most trainees and guards had faced the healing weaves at least once in their time here. But even after knowing the reaction and the feeling it still took him by surprise as the icy sensation ripped through his body causing him to tense and arch backward slightly. He felt the oddity of bone kitting to bone, flesh sealing, the tenderness simply shrinking until it no longer existed. The time taken to accomplish the tasks was rarely long but in the grasp of the weave eternity could have passed. Finally the sensations stopped and he almost sagged for a brief moment before control returned to him. Her hands were gone, the light touch no longer there.

Lavinya had moved back away from him, he heard the swish of skirt and the rustle of clothing. For a moment, just a moment, it had felt so natural; her gentle touch against him. Lavinya had become the other thread that carried meaning for Corin. It was not a plan, a calculated game as it had been with Sirayn. Lavinya had simply been a moment of chance meeting, a gift from the Creator he had thought. Somewhere deep down he still thought that; could feel the warming sensation within. But a guard could have only one true focus if he was to have any effect at maintaining the oath he swore in that servitude. He had sworn it to Sirayn, not in words spoken to her or offered up in servitude. But in the silence of his mind; the only place where Sirayn bloody Damodred would have accepted it. His jaw tensed for a moment at the thought then drained away as he instinctively worked the now healed hand.

Hunger reached up from deep with in his core in answer to her words of warning. Another unfortunate side effect of the healing weave. But better then the alternative. His right hand rubbed over the top of his left knuckles working away the phantom pain. The mind did not always accept the reality of the body in equal time to the healing. But it would dissipate with the continued movement. He turned his head slightly to the side offering a profile of his face over his shoulder to her. Green gaze remained on the darkness of the room outside the pool of lamplight. “Usually”, the word slipped softly from his lips wrapped heavily in a blanket of disbelief. Usually she found all manner of ways to infuriate and belittle him. But she was trying to defuse the situation and Corin had already lost the hot head of his fury. Now only the smoldering coals of anger remained to heat him.

There was so much between them, for so long it had been good. It had been more then good. It had been the best experience he had known. A friendship grown out of nothing but chance meeting that in another place might have had the opportunity to blossom into love. The very idea squeezed his heart. They were Tower promised and duty bound, there could be no room for love in that. Sirayn herself had taught him that quite bluntly. Turning back to the shadows that danced on the wall in the flickering flame Corin contemplated the full weigh of his actions. Disgrace to the Guard, to himself, and to his teacher Sirayn. His actions should have been that of a game player not a hot headed tavern brawler. Perhaps he had been out there to long, assimilated what he despised for too long. The thought made him feel stained.

“You mean besides encouraging the world to believe I spend my nights grunting and panting with you. That I am bond broken and need lustful release to keep my will to live.” The words were void of heat, icy vehement edges. As soon as they were free of his tongue, echoed softly off the wall in front of him, Corin regretted them. She did not deserve this. Did not deserver the dark dwellings of a lunatic. That was what Corin had become. He was not the honorable man she had met. Then why did she stay? Was Sirayn’s grasp on her so strong as well that she would give over her own happiness to see his life filled with ruin?  He could tell of late, now that he actually paid attention, that she was not happy. There might even be a chance that she was not doing this all to get even with him; he was not ready to accept that answer yet, but it was growing. She had set loose the player again, and as he grew into the role he had once held so comfortably, he was beginning to see things differently around him.

“The reason for our … visit has to do with a certain bit of information I received today.” His voice for the first time since leaving Saline was almost normal. A hint of strain at the edges but nothing compared to what had caressed most of his word until now. “By the way, Saline Sedai has invited us to a social gathering in celebration of a trainee being raised to the ranks of the Guard. She was simply full of happiness when she came across me and extended the invitation after informing me about your wonderful little idea.” He spun quickly, eye sparkling with intent and the distant glow of a buried fury. “You know … the one where I train with the bloody mercenaries to improve my multi opponent skills. The skills that the Guards have been able to build in me; the ones that have been good enough until now.” His voice had begun to rise during his rant and he stopped abruptly to gain control once more. Hands closing together in an interlaced clench to keep them from foolishness once more. “But I’m sure you sent one of those spooked doves with a message for me and it just hasn’t gotten here yet right? Perhaps the dove got caught by a trainee for a kiss or a dandle on his knee.” The sneer that had slipped onto his face laced his words as well.

He was doing it again. The emotion was leeching its way back into his being, back into his words. Why did it have to be her? Why? He spun back to the wall. With his back to her he hoped he could gain the civility that had hinted out earlier. “You know of the search. You know what I had to do out there,” his eyes dropped down to look at hands as if seeing the blood on them again. “You have an idea about some of it at least. How could you suggest such a thing?” Slowly his voice had returned to normal again, softening in a hit of shame. “Do you despise me so much?”

Corin

Lavinya found herself tensing anew at his harsh words, as though the mere notion of finding release in her arms was abhorrent, disgusting. He hadn't found it so once before, she thought, angry at the subtle insult to her feminine wiles and more so at herself for feeling the insult. She had explained the misunderstanding to him, curse him. And did he have to be so crude? Lavinya adjusted her skirts as a means to distract her thoughts. That she wished there was truth to the rumour was not something she was about to admit to him, especially when he beheld her with such scorn. She was saved from the need to reiterate her explanation when he continued, shedding some light on the situation. Indeed, Saline seemed to be meddling. How much was calculated? Was she deliberately causing trouble, or had there been a mere misunderstanding, with the red believing the off-hand conversation was in fact a concrete plan? She would have to determine that later, but for now she had to pacify Corin, without revealing too much and undermining Saline. She was, after all, an Aes Sedai, and deserved Corin's respect. Not to mention that in two short weeks they would have to endure one another's company. Best that they all got along as well as was possible.

What game was the red playing? Was she perhaps trying to assist Lavinya in some twisted manner? Perhaps by playing matchmaker? If so, she was making a poor effort, if Corin's continued venom was any indication. The thought of attending a celebration was a good one though. Perhaps if she could force enough strong spirits down Corin's throat he may relax somewhat in her presence. At the very least, she could do with a strong drink.

Lavinya was genuinely shocked at his conclusion. He thought she despised him? How far from the truth he was! Suddenly some more of his animosity towards her made sense; he believed she was punishing him for some reason. Blind idiot! Lavinya wanted to shake him, to kiss him until he knew his conclusion for the lie it was. "You think I despise you? Oh Corin." Lavinya's voice had softened and was filled with unspeakable emotion. She was angry and frustrated, and she ached for him, ached for what had been. Couldn't he see that she was doing everything she could to help him? That she was trying to save him? And to think she was under the impression he was just ungrateful for her intervention. "I do not hate you, I doubt I could even if I tried." Her mouth twisted on a wry smile, "though it is no secret you seem to have a talent for drawing out the worst in me of late. You can be very irritating when you put your mind to it."

He made no response to her mild stab at self-deprecating humour so she continued to speak the breadth of his powerful shoulders, still turned from her. "I have already explained to you my earlier misunderstanding concerning the status of your relationship with Sirayn, explained and apologised as I recall. I'm sure it appals you to no end, having people think that you may actually harbour any sexual desire for me, but I grow tired of you throwing it in my face. I will not explain my actions in this again, and you will cease questioning me. You understand the situation as well as I." Lavinya's voice had hardened somewhat through the speech, largely due to her pride being wounded. Really, there were far worse stories that could be circling, such as those speculating as to whether or not he had actually had a hand in Sirayn's demise. The trolloc-kissing fool was far too selfish to see beyond his own inconvenience to notice anyone else.

Lavinya sighed. She did not particularly want to argue with him, too often their meetings were tense or heated, and not in a pleasurable way. She wanted to regain his trust, his friendship. Why could he not even take a tiny step in her direction? It was as though he was so determined to refute her efforts that he went to great pains to ensure she was too upset with him to draw closer. "Can you at least look at me?" She snapped, and instantly regretted the harsh edge to her voice. Light, he drove her mad! "I regret the information you received regarding your training. It appears an off hand comment made to Saline Sedai has resulted in a misunderstanding. I can only guess at what you were told, but I assure you I have no desire to interfere with your training." Lavinya slipped from her seat on the desk, feet wanting to carry her forward to touch Corin, to confirm the truth of her words, but she stayed stubbornly still, hands clamped tightly together to keep them at bay. He would not welcome her touch. Her face softened as she continued, sympathy replacing the heat from before. "I know well what you have endured, Corin, and I see the toll it has taken on you." She sought his gaze, eyes intense as she willed him to believe her words. "I only want to help you."

Lavinya

Silently he listened to her, his gaze trying to swing over his shoulder to where she stood but his body not willing to accept the movement yet. There was still to much safety in the separation, if only in example. She didn’t hate him. That certainly was not how it appeared the day he denied her. Nor had it seemed even a remote possibility since his return. But the fact that she thought he could be irritating almost had him laughing out loud with another scornful remark; will power from somewhere kept his tongue still and body frozen. There had been enough bitter words already. Further was going to accomplish nothing. Some how his heart had caught the change in her voice, the difference in inflection and intonation. Why could it not convince his head that the change was real and there? More of her games perhaps? The thought cementing itself in his mind as her voice hardened once more; the edge becoming sharper. There had been a time when they had been lovers if for only one night. It had been a time of learning and wonderment. Her teachings still haunted his memories and dreams in a pleasant and real way. But her use of it now seemed to cheapen and dirty the thought. To use someone simply for the release of tension and the touch of flesh was appalling. A man just did not take a woman into his bed, or even hers for that matter, outside of marriage. Well beyond that of perhaps a tavern wench. But that was part of who they were. Not part of what an Aes Sedai or a woman of respect was. When had that view changed? He remembered some of the games in the yard as a trainee, the visits with novices, the thoughts and flirtatious games all hinting at just that.

Her sigh pulled back the thoughts and set his nerves on edge for more then one reason; heightening the battle that raged within. It seemed like an age ago they had been something else. So different then the combatants they were now. She had been his escape from the tormenting chaos that had become his relationship with Sirayn. A place to lose the tension of his unspoken duty and find the boy that had once been. A refreshing change in his life that felt comfortable and brought happiness he had otherwise forgotten. The girl he had found hidden within her was like finding a small gold nugget among the dark sandy bottom of a river and it made the boy more real. How much different would his life had been if he had met her first? It was not the first time he had contemplated that. Not the first time he wondered if he would have been as bold without Sirayn's teaching to be who he had been that day with her.

The snap of her words pulled his spine straight again. That was a time that was no more, the wheel had woven it out and moved on. Was it time for them to move past it as well? He turned enough to allow himself to look over his shoulder at her, his gaze meeting the intense look in her dark eyes with one of guarded challenge. Battle tactics, that was what many of their meetings had become. A twisted version of battle tactics; never show weakness. Another strong contrast to the relationship they had shared prior. The simple act of rising would have been interpreted so different back then. They would have shared their hurts and their concerns. Everything about them had been open to the other. Well not everything but as close as they could for an Aes Sedai and a Guard of certain skills. Now instinctively he braced himself for another unleashing of her tongue. Ironically other then his willingness to openly challenge her their relationship was becoming more and more the one he had shared with Sirayn. Was that why he challenged her? Not willing to slip back into the chaos that he had come from, or was he too afraid to feel and be hurt in that same manner again? Perhaps that was to always be his place in this Age's pattern. Where quiet chaos had ruled his mind with Sirayn's loss, now questions once more swarmed him under the awakening of the player he had been. The player Lavinya had forced him to be again. Daes Dae'mar, he had come to love and thrive in it prior to Sirayn's disappearance. After that it was a curse he wanted rid of, had almost succeeded until Lavinya Sedai had forced it back onto him. How much easier his da's life must have been once he left the army and started farming. He had pondered going back, taking his hand at the farm, at any farm. But he knew it was only an attempt to hide. He would never again find the peace of it like he had before the Tower. That life was gone, a pleasant memory. But for now all it would be is a memory.

For a long moment he met her gaze in silence, two statuettes forgotten to a storage room. Sirayn had trained him in the art of reading misdirection and the telltales of a lie. He had become astute at reading the eyes of a person, the only thing that seemed to hold any hint of the woman behind them when he was with Sirayn. An art he had largely ignored since accepting the failure of his mission to find her. Now, his dispassionate gaze studied Lavinya's eyes for the first time almost wishing to find the telltale in them. The pool of light around them moved with a life of it's own granting life to their shadows in the stretching silence. There was no lie, no indication of misdirection and yet he still could not bring himself to lower his guard to her completely. It had been too much with Sirayn. Her disappearance had been a cut that went deep and still caused a sick emptiness inside when he let himself feel. What could she offer him but further pain?

Finally he broke the lock, eyes sinking toward the floor at her feet. She was Aes Sedai and he was a Guard, it was proper for his eyes to be lowered. A lie but it soothed the discourse a measure. “Misunderstanding happen,” the Wheel knows he had been bundled into many himself; the image of an unconscious Sirayn being rolled into a rug bloomed and faded. “But perhaps you can guard your off handed comments like the other secrets you keep.” He tried not to notice the emptiness in his own voice as he fought the mix of emotions that continued to swirl within. “If you truly want to help then accept that which I am and not that which died with her.  Sometimes the lost is just that ... lost.” His voice cracked on the last but he forced his way past it. The old was no more and it was best left in the past before anyone else got hurt by it. Inside something screamed defiance. Inside he did not want any of what he had been to be lost, did not want to be lost to her; his face remained void of the inner battle. Sometimes sacrifices of the self needed to be made fo rthe greater of all. Lavinya would be better served by a Guard or Gaidin of better training and emotionally grounded. Not the mess that presented itself as Corin. Where did that thought come from? I've already denied her request to be her Gaidin. Why is that thought back?

Corin

Must the man be so abrasive? It was not hard to be insulted by his words, the difficulty was in reining in her temper and instead acknowledging the slight bending of his will. To be reminded of the need for discretion by the out of control guard who had accosted her publicly only minutes ago set Lavinya's teeth on edge. Self-righteous goat. She was not about to tell Corin that it appeared Saline had acted on her own authority, it would not do to undermine the red, so it left her in the irritating position of holding her silence. At least he seemed to have believed her, she thought grimly, though the hollow sounding words did not ring with much conviction.

It was what he said next that was finally her undoing. Rage, white-hot and all-consuming flowed unchecked through her body. The lost was lost? Like hell it was! Not knowing what had become of Corin had nearly finished the work Linten had started? She had grieved for him, with all the love and sorrow in her heart. To find him again, alive if not undamaged, had been like finally seeing sunrise over the horizon after years being locked in the darkest pit. He had been found, and burn his eyes if she would lose him again. His own misery be damned; he was a father and he was loved. If that was not enough to live for, she might as well give up and leave him to his own devices right now. Except that was NOT an option, not for Lavinya. She had found him and would hold him with both hands and never let him go again.

Motivated into action by her volatile mix of emotions, Lavinya launched herself towards him, moving so that she stood face to face with him, her hands clenched fiercely around the material of his shirt. "You listen to me, Corin Danveer," she said, her voice deceptively soft, "I will not believe that the man I met in the gardens is lost. I cannot believe it." I need him to be there, Elise needs him to still be there. Lavinya's hands flexed slightly on the crushed cotton beneath her fingers. "You are hurting inside, oh I know. You are broken and grieving your lost love. You are second guessing yourself, your actions, your thoughts, your choices. I understand all that, believe me I do. But you are not lost Corin, not yet." Light, could she make herself anymore vulnerable for his scorn? He was not ready to hear the words she needed to speak, was not ready to know he was loved and cherished, that he was the father of a beautiful little girl with his emerald eyes. Not ready by a long shot. Revealing more than she already had at this juncture would just bring her more hurt and ruin what little progress she had made.

Abruptly she freed him and stepped back, eyes warily watching him. It had been too much, she thought, and yet not enough. His expression was impossible to read, his features might as well have been hewn from rock for all he gave away. Lavinya took another step back and turned to place her hands on the smooth desktop in an attempt to still their shaking. Everything she was working towards could have been destroyed just now by her passionate outburst. Foolish woman! She closed her eyes and tried to assess the damage, replaying her words in her mind. Too much, and yet not enough. Perhaps if she explained...but how? How to tell him, without revealing the extent of her feelings, her scars? He would think her merely trying to weasel a way into his bed or heart. She wanted it, there was no denying it, but it was hardly her motive. Corin deserved to be set free from his demons. Even if she could never have him, she would wish him to be free from the past. If she could have nothing more than his resentment she would welcome it with open arms, because it meant he was alive.

"I grieved for you once already, I will not do it again whilst I still have breath."

Lavinya

Be gentle :)

His eyes watched her feet as they began to move, a small step followed by several more in quick succession until she stood almost pressed against him, his shirt and cloaked crushed in a white knuckle grip. This was not the reaction he expected. Her scorn, her anger at his failure, even haughty disapproving gaze as he was summarily dismissed. But the sudden physical contact, the shaking grasp and not a hard slap was confusing. Inside shock radiated through his body and stiffened arms, but his face held none of it. The internal turmoil of emotions was held at bay as he had been taught. An emotionless gaze looked to her's, a touch of defiance at the edge of his eyes as he waited for the inevitable strike only to have her words shake the very foundation of his resistance internally. She did not believe that man from the garden was lost? How could she not, had she not been at war with him since his return, scorned and hated him when he turned her down? The emphasis on her not being able to believe it confused him as he felt more of the thick barren internal wall crumble.

It made no sense, was this more of his old masters magic made flesh in the form of torture perfected? His body tried to flinch as she mentioned his hurt for a lost love, tried but was unable under the rigidity of ingrained reactions. But her words effected him in ways she could never see or know. The scars rent open anew, salt poured into them as she turned her back to him; leaning heavily on the table. What did she know if his hurt? What could she know? Did she know how desperately he had searched for Sirayn? Did she understand how it was the memory of his very close friend, the very friend he had hurt, the level of regret he harbored over the pain he had brought to their relationship? No. She did not know how much he hurt, she couldn't. Her words, oh they seemed so perfect as they looked into his mind and heart, were words schooled to her in the discipline of the White. It had to be; the talent of a mediator to know her combatants and see their weaknesses. But he wanted to accept them, to collect her; feel her body crushed against him and weep in her soft red hair. How long had it been since he accepted comfort at the shoulder of a friend?

Was a friendship even possible with all that had happened between them since that field outside the trappers cabin? He wanted to believe there was, deep down his heart cried out for the possibility. But the disconnected analytical side of his mind, the controller of the game, it refused the heart's voice. Too much had been done. Too much said and not said. The best he could hope for now was a civil coexistence as members in service through the Tower for the benefit of the Light. The acceptance rimmed his eyes in a sheen of unshed tears that he blinked back quickly fearing she might turn and read something other in their appearance. His feet betrayed the acceptance of separation and stepped tentatively forward, a small shuffling step, before he could still them and once more gain control of himself; to interject logic where emotion threatened to break forth in a spilling flood. His hands itched at his sides to collect her slumped shoulders and comfort her, to bring back that girl he had first discovered at the fountain so long ago.

“You can not believe he is lost,” his voice was a soft low baritone; the stroke of emotion hinting at the edges. “I do not believe he can return with all that has happened. It is not always the obvious that wounds us grievously, sometimes it is something that only the bearer can ever comprehend. Lavinya,” his voice stumbled over her name before beginning to cool and become the lecturing empty voice he had come to accept as norm. “We can not continue like this. It is destructive to the unity of the Tower and to what might be left of a scared and damaged friendship.” There he had given voice to it; let her know that he still thought of her as a friend regardless of how much she must distaste him. If it brought further rents to his heart at her hand so be it. But the animosity between them had to be quelled soon before .... He dismissed the line of thought. It was not something he was ready to accept yet, if ever. Slumped as she was he could almost picture resignation on her face. Most likely his own wishful thinking and scorn would be her mask instead. “Can we agree to a truce for now, at least for the mission. I can not protect you both if I am to be at battle continually with you.” Emotion slipped slowly back into the edges of his voice, almost adding a warmth to it; hinting at the human that existed inside. A shadowy reminder of the boy that he had let out briefly to her and had since buried behind the mountain of cold chiseled stone that made the man now before her.

Corin

Balancing on the edge ;)

Lavinya was prepared for it, but no cutting retorts met her ears, no dispassionate knife slicing at her vulnerable heart. Maybe Corin believed her, at least a little. Relieved that Corin made no accusations regarding the nature of her attentions, she exhaled a shaky breath and sought to gather the remnants of her controlled serene facade. There were so many things pent up inside of her, words she longed to say, comfort she longed to give with open arms, her own grief and demons that tormented her daily and stole her sleep by night. The passionate outburst she had just made seemed to have shaken the dam wall, all the things she normally kept tightly reined inside were crying out for release. It was as though she had made a small crack, and more would trickle out until the wall burst, unless she managed to quickly patch the breach.

"A truce." She repeated in a flat voice, flexing her fingertips on the polished wood beneath them. Far from what most would consider an amiable friendship, but it was a step. A rather big one, as she considered it. The weeks since Corin returned to her had been filled with skirmishes and animosity, to have even a temporary reprieve from them would be more than welcome. Lavinya turned, facing Corin once more, her features composed as she eyed him. Did he mean it, or was it an excuse designed to remove him from the current punishment he deserved for his humiliating display in the hall? "Whatever you may think, I do not enjoy battling with you Corin. If you recall, you forced my hand only minutes ago in the hall." Lavinya raised a hand as though to forestall anything he might interject, "Not that I'm blameless either.

"I will happily agree to this truce, on one condition." Stepping closer once more, Lavinya reached out and placed her palm lightly on Corin's chest, over his heart, and tapped it lightly. "Don't give up on yourself. You're a good man Corin, and I haven't given up on you yet. Now," Lavinya smiled brightly and moved back, letting her hand fall, shifting the conversation as though all was no well and the matter was done with, "I could do with a drink. What was that you were saying about an invite to a celebration?" Progress, they had finally made some progress. It was difficult, but Lavinya believed it wise to take small steps lest Corin shy away and bold like a skittish colt. At least she had a truce to work with now, and given he held his peace, perhaps she may be able to draw out the old Corin and convince him that he was real. And after that...who knew? All Lavinya could say for certain was that the future was starting to look a little brighter again.

Lavinya

• 1 month later...

Immediately a retort was on the tip of his tongue working against the word he had just stated to her but her raised hand silenced it before life could be given the thought. Instead he silently agreed that she was far from blameless. How could she be when she was a tool of bloody Sirayn's sent to keep him in perpetual torment. It was not bad enough the way they had left it, not bad enough that she had disappeared knowing it would cause him pain and torment. She had to ensure he never forgot the mistakes he had made with her and so she had set another of her own creations on him. One she knew he would be helpless to defend against. Always the puppet master, even from the unknown she controlled the strings of so many lives.

Instinctively Corin tensed as her hand came to rest on his chest. His body readying for a fight he knew he would never engage in. Lavinya could simply pull his own sword from it's sheath and behead him where he stood and he would not raise a finger to harm her. He hoped he would at least move enough to maintain his head and continue his life. But he knew instinctively he would not harm her personally, even if it meant his own death. She had not given up on him. If she only knew what he had done, the depths he had taken to find Sirayn, the foolishness he had taken with Sirayn. If she truly knew him would she still call him a good man. Would she still find the strength to not give up on him. How could she, he had neatly sliced open her heart and packed it full of salt the moment she had tired to lay it at his feet thinking he would give of his own equally. He couldn't believe it, not with all he had done. It had to be more of the trickery instilled by their mutual prior teacher. How well was she schooled in Sirayn's ways? She had far more training then Corin; it would be expected that she would have the controlling sway. Had he not done similar for Sirayn in service to her goals? Why could he not accept what logic presented? Instead a small bleeding part of his heart whispered up at his mind Accept the peace. She is trust worthy. Her love is real, you have felt it; know it She played off his emotions and he was powerless to stop her.

“The celebration of a trainee raised to the Guard.” Corin carefully kept his voice neutral. He had offered her a truce and she had accepted it. There was no going back now and he was not going to be the one to break it; he hoped he would not. She just seemed to route out his anger with careless ease. Where had that stalwart control he had been praised for gone? That cool analytical thinking that made him a quick pupil and a growing force in the game. He needed that control back, yet she denied him it, constantly keeping him off balance. “We were invited ..... to the gathering at the Tavern. To join with all those that have the time to attend.” He still could not approach her name. If he voiced Saline Sedai's name again he was certain they would end up back at each others throats. Best to leave it for another time when he could deal with the emotions alone; where he would not be able to lash out at Lavinya. “As you hold my leash, if it is your will then I shall accompany you to the event.” The words were easy to slip from his mouth, but he regretted the choice of them as soon as they vibrated in his ear. He was suppose to be attempting to keep a truce. Reminding her that he chaffed at a command level bond placed on him by the commander of the Guard was not doing a very good job of it. At least he had been able to keep his voice even and neutral this time. This truce was going to be a lot of work, more then he had first anticipated it seemed.

Lavinya managed to hold onto her smile as she watched the flicker of emotion cross Corin's eyes as he seemed to mentally debate with himself. Deciding whether she was tricking him somehow, no doubt. He must have come to some decision eventually, Lavinya noted the way he seemed to steel himself, drawing himself straighter. Hopefully this was a sign that he accepted her word and was going to stand by the truce himself, though when he spoke his voice was carefully controlled, revealing nothing at what was going on inside. Lavinya released the breath she held when she realised he was calmer, thankful that he hadn't questioned or motives, taking them in stride. Did he perhaps take it for granted that she still loved him? Was she so obvious, despite her efforts to hide her true feelings? It was a rather unsettling thought. As a woman with many secrets she needed to hide, revealing even a glimpse of her feelings could prove disastrous.

What did Corin feel about attending such an event? Did it make him think of the day he himself swore his vows? Was he able to celebrate for someone else when he was so soured himself, so caught up on his own perceived failure? Lavinya was doing everything she could to heal the rift inside him, not drive him away further. But with that even tone, it was impossible to tell if he was trying to imply joy or loathing at the prospect of attending. What was she supposed to say? She was distracted from choosing the right response when Corin's bitter words spilled out between them. Lavinya rolled her eyes skyward and sniffed in irritation. The man couldn't last one minute without making a snide remark, how was he going to manage holding to a truce while they travelled incognito? Really, he could be so childish sometimes.

Refusing to give him an excuse for further slips, Lavinya folded her arms under her breasts and tapped a foot. Had he tried to get her to lose her temper and thus break her word? Lavinya smirked to herself - he was going to have to work a lot harder than that if anger was his goal, she decreed to herself. "A celebration, and we were invited? A friend of yours? Or perhaps someone I know?" Light she hoped it wasn't an old flame. Though the chances of that were extremely slim now, it wasn't impossible, especially if this new guard was one of the older trainees in the yard. How would Corin react to that sort of situation? To be honest, Lavinya hoped to never find out. He had enough reason to despise her as it was, if only he knew about Elise. Guilt was not an emotion Lavinya was used to, and found herself quite unsure how to handle it. "What do you want to do, Corin?"

Lavinya