DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

LOC: Matters of Toh

SnakeAes

Her first pov ends with her insistent that Rand reach TG. Her second reveals that she thinks he should be there so Shai'tan can defeat him. So, nothing evil in her first, but it does set up the later revelation in typical RJ fashion.

Getting back on topic... :)

Is Aviendha's toh that she ran from Rand and was caught?  If she had run harder or fled faster then Rand would not have caught her. She blames herself for it and therefore thinks she has toh to Rand because she was too weak.

I still don't see how killing Rand would help that...

Maybe killing Rand would meet the toh to Elayne and killing herself would meet the toh to Rand.

~Mashiara

Thats the way I look at it.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that the toh to Rand is because she led him to breach his promise to Elayne (at least Aviendha see's Rand as promised to Elayne) and as she has caused him to break this promise she owes him toh (additionally there are numerous lies to Rand to add to this toh)killing herself would therefore meet this toh

The toh to Elayne is because Rand has betrayed her (at that time) near sister while she was responsible for ensuring Rands behaviour/well being/etc and therefore killing Rand for this betrayal would meet her toh in this respect

The way i see it, Rand didn't betray Elayne in the slightest; he and her kissed a few times, and then she sent him a letter that gave Rand the impression that she never wanted to see him again, right after giving him a love letter, and later telling him that she meant every word.

I think its' made fairly clear in Fires of Heaven (The Chapter entitled The Far Snows)

after Rand & Aviendha have made love Aviendha says

"I promised my near-sister to watch you." She seemed to be speaking to herself as much to him in a low, almost expressionless voice. "I ran from you as hard as I could, to shield my honor. And you followed me even here. The rings do not lie, and I can run no more." Her tone firmed decisively. "I will run no more."

later in the same chapter she says

"I have toh to Elayne, now, but that is none one of your concern

Archived