DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A couple thoughts on Rand's death

MatsLuck

I don't know. Given that we have it coming from 2 sources(3 dreamwalkers makes it 4 people), boat as a metaphor for situation seems a bit unlikely. Had they only been dreams, I might have readily agreed but Foretellings usually turn out to be more literal than they first appear. The wording ought to have been "Three in the same boat" instead of "Three on the boat".

I agree, I discussed this foretelling abit with one of the forth age people and while we couldn't agree generally (she thought it was set after TG when I thought before), the wording does seem to entail an actual boat, possible the one the girls use to skim (if they have been channaling lots, they may not have the strength for a Gateway).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moridin, not really. The Aiel dreamwalkers have a dream identical to Nicola's foretelling and tell Rand through Aviendha that the man on the boat with 3 women will be him. Off-topic but as for the boat itself, I think after defeating the DO Rand will break the world and flood the Blight with a new ocean.

'3 in a boat' I take does not mean a literal boat, but that the 3 will be in the same situation (and that the situation would be unique to the 3).  Literal fulfillment of prophecy is rare in the books, especially with Dreams & Foretellings.

The fulfillment of this one would likely be one of these:

-each 3 being Rand's widow, maybe their wedding would be at the same moment

-each 3 being pregnant with his children at his death

I don't know. Given that we have it coming from 2 sources(3 dreamwalkers makes it 4 people), boat as a metaphor for situation seems a bit unlikely. Had they only been dreams, I might have readily agreed but Foretellings usually turn out to be more literal than they first appear. The wording ought to have been "Three in the same boat" instead of "Three on the boat".

Other phrases in the Foretelling have a metaphoric meaning:

-"the lion sword" (Elayne)

-"the dedicated spear" (Aviendha)

-"the land divided" (political division)

-"the future teeters on the edge of a blade" (probably uncertainty about the future)

Because of those, "three on the boat" would probably also have a metaphoric meaning.  Or if it is a literal boat, it would need to be a very significant one (or something significant would need to happen with it) for the Foretelling to call it "the boat".

Though the fulfillment I still think would be unique to the 3.

I agree, I discussed this foretelling abit with one of the forth age people and while we couldn't agree generally (she thought it was set after TG when I thought before),
It's after. In the fortelling I believe the phrase is, The Last Battle done, but the world not done with battle. Also Rand (we assume) is called He who is dead, yet lives. I don't think he's gonna die pre-TG.

And I do think its a real boat because of the fact that its mentioned by Nicola AND the dreamwalkers. It could be symbolism, but I think its a stretch in this case.

It's probably already been said, but it's both. Metaphorical and literal. Elaine, Avienda and Min will be in situations that depend on Rand, or just in the "same boat". Also, Rand is believed dead and his funeral is at Ruidean on a boat in the new lake. Previously they all married Aiel style. There he wakes and so forth and so on.

Archived