DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Alastair Reynolds gets a $1.6 million contract for his next ten books

Werthead

British SF author Alastair Reynolds has signed a £1 million ($1,634,500-odd) contract to stay with Gollancz for his next ten novels, to be published over the next ten years. This is one of the biggest SF contract deals I've heard of, maybe the biggest since Arthur C. Clarke's staggering deal in 1997 for 3001: The Final Odyssey. Given the state of publishing in general and SF in particular, this deal is a colossal show of faith by Gollancz and its parent company, Orion, in Reynolds' work.

Well-deserved, as Alastair Reynolds is definitely one of the most interesting, innovative and constantly entertaining SF writers out there, and also appropriate as the news comes in the tenth year since his first novel, Revelation Space, was published. His next novel, Terminal World, will be published by Gollancz in October.

It is great news.

Also I just heard that Brandon Sanderson signed a 2.5 million dollar contract for Way of the Kings series (first 4 books). I don't know if the information is authentic or not but congrats to Brandon if it is.

It is great news.

Also I just heard that Brandon Sanderson signed a 2.5 million dollar contract for Way of the Kings series (first 4 books). I don't know if the information is authentic or not but congrats to Brandon if it is.

Crikey. Where did you hear that? Is there a link or anything?

It is great news.

Crikey. Where did you hear that? Is there a link or anything?

Well it was on John D Brown's site :-

http://johndbrown.com/category/whats-happening-with-john/

Brandon Sanderson just signed a contract that was announced on Publisher’s Lunch for somewhere around 2.5 million for four books. Folks, this is amazingly large for our genre.

It was also on

www.publishersmarketplace.com

but since it is a paid site I doubt anyone can access it.

Also Larry Correia commented about it in a discussion about Gathering Storm on Amazon :-

You keep going back to the evils of capitalism, like Brandon tweaked one book into three for the money. Well, since he just signed what is probably the biggest fantasy contract in recent time, for four of his own books, that he could be working on instead of WoT (which he's already been paid the same advance for 1 book instead of the more work-neccesitating 3) that kind of shoots your argument down. If he was in it for the money, he would have taken the fat advance, completed the work in the minimum time required, then wrote more of his own stuff.

Contract size? Butcher and Harris (contemp. fantasy) might be pulling in more per contract, but 2.5 mil is pretty dang impressive in the epic fantasy genre.

http://www.amazon.com/No/forum/Fx2QLQX99H3U2RP/Tx3IAWF5XKWO1WT/3/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg3?_encoding=UTF8&asin=0765302306&cdSort=oldest

Since there were 3 different sources I am leaning towards this info being authentic.

It was also on

www.publishersmarketplace.com

but since it is a paid site I doubt anyone can access it.

I'm not getting any hits when I google the author and title and site:publishersmarketplace.com. You can always get google hits for Publishers' Marketplace pages, even if you can't view the page itself. Sanderson is represented by JABberwocky, to the best of my information, and I'm sure the agency would list a $2.5m deal on their website.

There would be more publicity and reputable sources if this were true.

More here.

It isn't $2.5 million per se, but the deal is potentially worth much more than that when the four books' advances (each a significant six-figure sum) are combined with bonuses and other secondary factors.

Brandon Sanderson sold four books to Moshe Feder at Tor Books, via agent Joshua Bilmes at JABberwocky. The books represent the first four volumes of a new epic fantasy series to be called The Way of Kings, with the first expected to appear in the second half of 2010. Agent Bilmes writes that "the books are planned to alternate with the three books by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson that will conclude Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Per book advances [for the new series] are in the six figures, and with performance-based bonuses possible total advances on the deal could exceed $2.5 million."

Archived