DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I don't want it! (Rochel's Arrival)

Allowing herself to be dragged along behind her mother, Rochel could barely hide her disgust at what she was about to do.  Her mother's firm insistance was the only reason she was going to go through with this.  Testing to become Aes Sedai ... Rochel couldn't think of anything she would rather do less.  To become a worthless meddler in other people's afairs ... it simply didn't appeal to her. 

A painful twinge in her leg made her hiss and rub her thigh.  Aes Sedai hadn't been able to help with THAT particular problem.  The greatest healers in the world, and she still had a limp she would carry for the rest of her life.  Useless.

"Mother, are you sure you want me to do this?  I really don't mind if we-"

"Oh of course I do dear.  Can't you think of anything more wonderful than being an Aes Sedai?"  Rochel's mother, Resanna, had always dreamed of being Aes Sedai.  Even though she had failed her own testing over twenty years before, she had still held on to her fantasy.  And now she was pressing it on to her daughter.

With a poorly surpressed grimace, Rochel bit her tongue and kept following her mother.  Resanna told her stories she had heard of how wonderful the White Tower was, how glorious it was to wield the One Power, how magnificent it would be to become Aes Sedai.  Rochel didn't hear a word of it.  Silently she wondered if there was a way to sabotage the testing, to ensure that she would fail.  Would the Aes Sedai know?  How did this testing occur anyway?

As the massive white structure loomed ever closer, Rochel's anger began to wilt away, replaced by fear.  What if she did pass?  Would she ever be able to see her family again?  Would she ever be able to free herself from the Aes Sedai?  The stories she had heard claimed that once the Aes Sedai had their claws in you, they would never let go.  The huge White Tower looked less and less appealing with every step.  When they finally reached the massive front doors, Rochel had decided that she might prefer to be standing in front of Shayol Ghul.  Well ... maybe not so far as that, but it was close.

Shortly after entering, the pair were approached by a woman in a plain white dress with seven colored bands on the bottom.  Rochel didn't pay much attention, as her mother did all the talking.  She vaguely heard her mother mention something about the testing, and soon the three of them were trotting off down a nearby hallway.  Rochel's heart began to pound in her chest as they soon approached a door with a particularly ominous feel to it.  If she was going to find a way to weasel out of this, it had to be soon. 

Nothing spectacular occured to her though, and soon the woman in the banded dress was knocking on the door.  "Wait here," she said curtly as she stepped inside.  Rochel didn't care if she was left outside for the rest of the day.  She didn't want to go through that door.  "Aes Sedai, there is someone here to be tested."

"Aren't you excited dear?" asked an obviously giddy Resanna.

Rochel tried to smile, but only managed a sneer.  Her mother didn't notice.  A moment later the woman stepped back through the door.  "The Mistress of Novices will see you now," she said quickly, and strode off without a backwards glance.  Resanna wasted no time in seizing Rochel's arm and pulling her into the office.  Once inside, Rochel was nearly hidden from view as her mother dipped into a deep curtsy, skirts spread wide.  "Greetings Aes Sedai.  My daughter is here to be tested."

Belatedly, Rochel dipped into a curtsey of her own.  Probably not good enough for a bloody Aes Sedai, but it was the best she could do under the circumstances.

Larindhra hastily swallowed the last of her tea as a knock sounded at her door, immediately followed by an Accepted entering. Still dabbing at her lips with a napkin, she merely lifted an enquiring eyebrow.

"Aes Sedai, there is someone here to be tested."

“Thank you, Rona. Send her in, please.”

She rose as a Domani woman entered, obviously much more eager than the daughter she practically dragged in with her. The woman’s curtsy was as graceful as only a Domani could make it, but the daughter’s seemed a bit more awkward, not to mention on the sullen side. Larindhra suppressed a sigh. She hoped the woman was not going to create a scene when it turned out her daughter would not live up to her expectations, as happened all too often. Gesturing to the chairs in front of her desk, she reached into her drawer for the gemstone she kept for these occasions.

“Please be seated, ladies. This should not take more than a few minutes.” She embraced Saidar, revelling in using even this slight amount of Air needed to lift the stone and dangle it in front of the girl. “Child, I want you to relax. Breathe evenly and just focus on the stone. Nothing exists for you, except the stone.” Her voice droned in a soothing manner, almost bored, but it worked well enough to almost hypnotise novices. The rather strong flash in the stone caught her by surprise. Time would tell, but after many years of experience, Larindhra had become quite good at judging a girl’s potential, and this one was one of the Strongest she had ever come across!

Larindhra lowered the stone and replaced it in her drawer, unable to hide her pleased smile. She wouldn’t let this girl get away from her, even if she had to tie her down. “Welcome to the White Tower, child. I sense a fine potential in you – with hard work and dedication, you should be able to wear the Shawl one day. Let’s get your details down, then – your full name, age, and place of birth?” She opened the Novice Book, dipped her quill in the ink, and waited for the child to answer.

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

Stare at the stone?  That was it?  Well that wouldn't be too bad.  Rochel had come up with a half dozen nightmarish scenarios which could have served as the testing.  Looking at a glittering gemstone wasn't that bad at all.  But what was supposed to happen?

Almost against her wishes, the Aes Sedai's voice soothed Rochel's stubborn will to fail, and he found herself gazing intently at the floating stone.  Her mother dealt in gems sometimes, and this one looked particularly fine in the light.  As it hovered, slowly rotating in the air, it sparkled brightly.  One particularly bright flash of light broke Rochel from the near trance she had been in.  Where had that one come from?

She was about to refocus on the gem, afraid of angering the Aes Sedai in front of her, when suddenly it floated back to her hand and was quickly replaced in the desk drawer.  She heard a sigh next to her, and turned to see a disappointed look on Resanna's face.  Rochel tried hard not to roll her eyes.  Her mother had been focused on that stone even more than she had.  When Rochel swung her gaze back to the Aes Sedai, she grew worried at the disgustingly pleased grin on the woman's face.

"Welcome to the White Tower, child. I sense a fine potential in you – with hard work and dedication, you should be able to wear the Shawl one day. Let’s get your details down, then – your full name, age, and place of birth?”

Rochel opened her mouth, ready to stammer out that there must be a mistake, when her mother spoke up for her.  "Oh, her full name is Rochel Dion.  She just turned sixteen a month ago, and she was born near Bandar Eban."  Resanna turned and wrapped her daughter in a tight hug.  "I'm so proud of you dear!  My little Rochel is going to be an Aes Sedai.  What will your father say?"  She paused for a moment, frowning.  "Well, let me worry about what your father will say."  She wrapped Rochel in another tight squeeze.  "Oh, isn't this wonderful?"

Resanna turned her elated gaze to the bemused looking Mistress of Novices.  "You will take good care of her?  Won't you?"  She didn't even wait for a response before chiding herself.  "Oh of course you will.  Asking an Aes Sedai if she'll take care of a new novice."  Happy tears were flowing from the corners of her eyes. 

Rochel on the other hand, felt like throwing up.  "Mother ..." she grumbled quietly.

Resanna suddenly realized how she was acting in front of an important Aes Sedai, and dropped back into her seat with an embarassed smile.  "Sorry.  I'm just so ..." she trailed off with a contented sigh, wiping the tears from her cheeks, not quite meeting the gaze of the Aes Sedai across the desk.

Rochel wondered if she could have slipped out while her mother had been making a fool of herself.  She doubted it, but almost wished she had tried.  She definitely did not like the look she saw every time Aes Sedai laid eyes on her.  It reminded her too much of her father whenever he had managed to make a particularly profitable deal.  With a sigh, she settled further into her chair with her arms folded.  She just knew she wasn't going to like this.

Larindhra tried several times to interject a comment, but the Domani woman had the bit between her teeth. Letting her ramble on, she wrote the child’s details in the Novice Book instead, pausing every now and then to cast a self-satisfied glance at her latest charge. Eventually a low growl from Rochel managed to calm her mother down slightly. Larindhra gave the woman one of her most motherly smile. “Of course I will take good care of her, Mistress Dion. That does not mean that she will not have to work very hard. The road to becoming Aes Sedai is a long and difficult one – only the toughest and most dedicated reach the end.” She threw another almost possessive glance at Rochel. “I’m sure your daughter will do well.” Oh yes, Larindhra was going to do everything within her power to ensure that.

“But now it is time to say your good byes, so we can get Rochel settled in. If you will excuse me for a moment while I get her some new clothes? May your journey home be safe, Mistress Dion.” Larindhra nodded farewell to the woman, then walked over to her storeroom to fetch a few sets of Novice whites.  She tried to shut out the sounds of the tearful goodbyes, only re-entering her office once she was sure the girl’s mother had left.

Feeling more cheerful than she had in a long time, she offered the clothes to Rochel. “Go try those on in the storeroom, child, and pick the set that fits you best. I will have the seamstresses adjust another pair for you once we have your correct measurements. You will be wearing only these clothes for as long as you are a novice. You may keep everything you brought with you, except for what you are wearing right now – make a bundle of that, please. Novices and Accepted are discouraged from wearing any jewellery, or anything that is not white. Go on, then.” She ushered the girl towards the storeroom.

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

Rochel tried to keep the tears from her eyes as she made her goodbyes, she really did.  It was inevitable though that some should leak out.  Resanna cried like a fountain, alternating between happy and sad.  It had finally sunk in that she wouldn't be seeing her only daughter again for quite some time.  It took several heartbreaking minutes, more than a few false starts, and a promise to write home as often as possible, before Resanna finally exited the room, leaving Rochel alone in the office.  No more than a minute after her mother had left, the Mistress of Novices returned with a pile of neatly folded white dresses.

“Go try those on in the storeroom, child, and pick the set that fits you best. I will have the seamstresses adjust another pair for you once we have your correct measurements. You will be wearing only these clothes for as long as you are a novice. You may keep everything you brought with you, except for what you are wearing right now – make a bundle of that, please. Novices and Accepted are discouraged from wearing any jewellery, or anything that is not white. Go on, then.”

Rochel frowned for a moment.  She hadn't brought anything with her at all.  Everything she owned was either at home in Arad Doman, or in the room she had shared with her mother at the inn her in Tar Valon.  She supposed that would just make things more simple.  After being chased into the store room, Rochel picked one of the dresses at random, trying to stall for as long as she could before coming back out.  To her dismay, the first dress fit perfectly.  Just the right length, neither too tight nor loose around the chest and hips.  Like the dress had been made specifically for her.  She briefly considered trying on another, just to waste more time, but decided against it.  This Mistress of Novices didn't seem like the kind of woman she wanted to agitate needlessly.

Scrubbing the last of the tears from her face, Rochel pushed open the door and left the closet.  The dress she had been wearing, a fine cut green wool suitable for traveling, was neatly folded and tucked under her arm.  The Aes Sedai was sitting at her desk again, waiting expectantly for her.  "This one fits nicely Aes Sedai," she said weakly.  She handed over her old dress, and noticed her silver ring still on her finger.  A pretty little thing her father had given her on her last naming day.  She hurriedly pulled it off, meaning to put it in a pocket.  Finding she had, she simply kept it in her hand, and awaited further instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst Rochel was trying on dresses, Larindhra poured them both some tea. Not knowing how the girl took hers, she left the worked silver milk jug and honey pot on her desk. This was quite likely the last time in months Rochel would be able to enjoy a quiet cup of tea. Cookies! Girls always liked cookies. Thank the Light Laras always sent her a fresh batch every few days. Quickly she arranged some on a plain white plate and set them on the desk too. She tried one – just to make sure that they had not gone soggy, of course.

Which is why she had a mouthful of cookie and crumbs over her chin when Rochel walked back in, wearing her novice whites. Quite unashamedly, Larindhra gave her a wink and waved her to the chair. “I can recommend the cookies,” she eventually managed. “Have some tea with them while I write a note to your Mentor.” She busied herself with the note and sips of tea, to give the girl time to compose herself. “I’ve assigned Lavinya Morganen of the Grey Ajah to you – she’ll explain the rules to you, and guide you through your first months in the Tower.”  She sealed the letter and, noting that Rochel had finished her tea and a few cookies, stood. “Before I take you to your new room, there is something we have to do first. Come with me, child, and bring your old clothes with you.”

Silently she led the way down to a secluded courtyard, where she ordered the new novice to place her clothes in a bundle in the middle. “What I am about to do is a symbolic gesture of the end of your old life. Once this is done, you enter a new life, breaking all bonds with the past. The White Tower is your life, your future.” Her face solemn, Larindhra looked Rochel in the eye as she spoke. Embracing the Source, she channelled a Weave of Fire at the clothes, setting them alight. Quietly they watched until everything was burned to ashes.

Larindhra placed her hand on the girl’s shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “Welcome to the Tower. Welcome to your new life.” She waited a few moments more for the child to regain her composure. “Come, let’s get you settled into your room.” Larindhra continued as they walked along the passages and winding ramps leading to the novice quarters. “There are many rules and customs you need to learn before it will be safe for you to venture out into the Tower, but your mentor will explain all of that to you.” She eyed the slightly sulky looking girl speculatively. Lavinya would not take any nonsense from her, she was sure. “Well, here we are at your room. Remember that you are to keep it, and yourself, clean at all time. I will see you tomorrow morning in my office to assign you to classes. Good day, child.”

Larindhra Reyne

Mistress of Novices

Rochel managed a few weak half-smiles while the Mistress of Novices spoke.  When she was offered tea and cookies she politely accepted.  She was thirsty anyway.  The cookies weren't too bad either.  And so she found herself waiting while the Aes Sedai scribbled out a note.

"I’ve assigned Lavinya Morganen of the Grey Ajah to you – she’ll explain the rules to you, and guide you through your first months in the Tower.”

Grey Ajah.  Rochel wasn't sure what that meant, but she held her tongue.  She was sure it was one of those things she'd have to pick up pretty soon anyway, so it might as well come in due course.  Looking down into her cup, she was surprised to see it was empty, and that more than a few of the cookies seemed to have disappeared.  “Before I take you to your new room, there is something we have to do first. Come with me, child, and bring your old clothes with you.”

Standing and wiping the crumbs from her skirt, Rochel followed out to a quiet courtyard.  Depositing her clothing in the center, Rochel waited, slightly confused.  “What I am about to do is a symbolic gesture of the end of your old life. Once this is done, you enter a new life, breaking all bonds with the past. The White Tower is your life, your future.”  Rochel stared the Aes Sedai in the eye, almost challengingly.  We'll see about that, she thought miserably.  She was a little surprised when her bundle burst into flames.  Her eyes narrowed.  She had liked that dress.  A hand dropped gently on the her shoulder, in what she assumed was supposed to be a reassuring gesture.  It felt more like it was placing an iron collar on her. “Welcome to the Tower. Welcome to your new life.” It was all Rochel could do to keep her teeth from grinding. “Come, let’s get you settled into your room.”

Determined as she was to not like this place, Rochel couldn't help but be impressed by the White Tower.  The massive hallways, the great tapestries, all the exquisite details added up to put anything in Bandar Eban to shame.  She knew she should have been honored to have this opportunity to live in such a grand place, and learn to use the One Power.  She just couldn't bring herself to care though, so she sulked.  It was better than crying, which also seemed a good choice at the moment.

“Well, here we are at your room. Remember that you are to keep it, and yourself, clean at all time. I will see you tomorrow morning in my office to assign you to classes. Good day, child.”

And with that, Larindhra Sedai swept off imperiously, leaving a bewildered Rochel on her own.  A quick look at her rooms was all that was needed to take it all in.  They were boring.  Clean and comfortable, but stark and emotionless.  All white.  Keep it clean indeed.  With that much white it would be a daily task, even if she spent as little time there as possible.  She had the sinking feeling that was the intent. 

With a resigned sigh, she crossed the small room and flopped down onto the bed.  How had this happened?  How dare her mother do this to her, without even asking if it was what she wanted?  Before she knew it, Rochel found herself sobbing angrily into her pillow, thinking up every curse she had ever heard her older brothers say.  This just wasn't fair.