DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you listen to when you write?

Sieve

This is a total knock off of Jade's post in the WT forum but it struck a chord with me.  I was curious what others here do when they write.  Do you listen to music to aid or inspire your writing?

The only character that I religiously listen to music when I write is Perivar.  Given his often stormy relationship with Kabria and his constant struggles with personal issues I feel that music helps me write.  Not so much so with my other characters but occasionally I will listen to something if I feel it is fitting.

So for Perivar I listen to a variety of music from Metallica, Foo Fighters, Staind, Shinedown, 30 seconds to Mars, Taking Back Sunday, Three Doors Down, just to name a few.

So do you listen to music to aid you when you write?  If so what?

When I'm writing I tend to listen to classic rock, the stuff with the identifiable, catchy guitar.  Ozzy and Sabbath, Zeppelin, Hendrix etc.  I also like to listen to Rush because the lyrics sometimes inspire me.  Of course, if I get too into the music I get completely distracted from whatever I'm trying to concentrate on.

On that note, does anyone else think that

by Rush should be playing in the background after TG?  Not a great video there, but if you can make out the lyrics you should see what I mean.

Some great bands already listed. I personally can never listen to any music with words when I read or write. I usually put on one of my movie soundtracks or something like Nine Inch Nails' Ghosts I-IV. I do however often have the tv on, which sometimes gives me ideas or words while I write. I usually try and watch a movie or something like the history channel.

My music really depends on which character.....

For Eqwina, who is a dark goddess I usually listen to Seether and Zombie

With Kabria I usually find myself listening to (old) Weezer, The Urge, NIN, and occasionally Jovi and Sublime

Thera, well now she is odd. The music depends on her mood. Sometimes its Ween or Self and other times it’s *blush* Journey, Stix, REO (gotta love the 80’s)

With Covina(Aiel) Adela (Trainee)and Mathis(Asha'man} I cannot listen to music while I write. It would mess me up, as I do not know them as well.

oddly enough, I don't listen to music while I write. When I'm writing stories, the music will inspire me to write a story, but I never listen to it while I'm writing. For RP's... well, my baby is asleep in the room next door, so since I do most of my writing at night, I can't really listen to anything but the clicking of the keyboard. :(

Depends on the character and the situation, really. Most of them have certain 'Theme songs' for me to help me get in their mindset. I have an evil manipulator character on another site that's got Rammstein - Rosenrot, but it could just as well be J-Pop or game midi soundtracks.

There's a few that usually strike gold, but mostly it's Youtube posted stuff.