DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Herbs and the Blight [Lyssa]

Arie

"Do you know anything about the herbs around here, I was thinking of making a poltice, I noticed that one of the trainees has a bee sting earlier. Any idea if this can be used for that, it looks a lot like the herbs back home that I use." She smiled and then handed Cairma the roots she had dug up as well, "This looks like a edible root, any idea if we can use it for dinner tonight, if we can I will go find some more."

Cairma raised her head from the fire that she only just finished setting up. Melenis was not far behind Lyssa, and was barely panting from the older Tower Guards stride. Brushing her hands on her dark tan pants, Cairma held out a hand to look at the roots. As Lyssa handed them over, Cairma noticed a few scratches on the woman's arm, probably from digging up the roots. Noting to keep track of the otherwise unnoticed markings, Cairma turned the root over, pulled out a knife and cut it open and sniffed it. Sweet.

"Well I wouldn't recommend anything in the light forsaken blight is worth eating, but you do have a good eye. Only problem," she held out the root for Lyssa to smell, "It smells sweet, doesn't it? Its sweetness it used to attract other animals and as they slowly digest it, the different parts of the root start to immobilize the poor victim." There was a small 'oh' forming on Lyssa's lips, "However, thats more for smaller animals, rodents and the like that need something something moist and pick the wrong root. We are far too large in body for it to do any particular damage to us. It's lethal when brewed like a cider or an ale, but in small doses over a cooking fire it's perfectly okay. Good find, Lyssa." Cairma patted her back even though the Tower Guard stiffened a little. "Don't worry, if there were anything poisonous in the brew, I'd find it before it killed any of us. If there was one thing that I was better at than Aran it was picking out poisons." She could here the Aes Sedai and Sandre only a few steps away, approaching the camp. "Melenis, why don't you stay here and watch the camp for a little bit. The others will be back really quick, and just tell them to stay as well, or if one of you needs to go, you all go, got it?"

"You got it, Cairma. Where are you two going?"

Cairma smiled, "Memory lane. Come'on Lyssa. Lets see what other little things we can find."

Cairma Vishnu

GrandMaster

• 2 weeks later...

Lys looked at Cairma who was sitting near the fire that the woman had just started, the woman was quite fast at started fires from nothing. Cairma brushed the dirt and bark off her hands and held out her hands for the herbs.  Brushing her hands on her dark tan pants, Cairma held out a hand to look at the roots. She held out her hand with the roots in them and watched as Cairma turned the root over on the other side, and then took her knife out. With the knife she cut the root open and then held it up to her nose, taking a big sniff of it. Lys turned her head slightly in confusion and wondered what the other woman was up to. "Well I wouldn't recommend anything in the light forsaken blight is worth eating, but you do have a good eye. Only problem." Cairma held the root out to her and Lys took it and held it up to her nose to smell as Cairma indicated with her hands. "It smells sweet, doesn't it? Its sweetness it used to attract other animals and as they slowly digest it, the different parts of the root start to immobilize the poor victim." Lys looked at the root in shock and closed her mouth with a snap, "However, thats more for smaller animals, rodents and the like that need something something moist and pick the wrong root. We are far too large in body for it to do any particular damage to us. It's lethal when brewed like a cider or an ale, but in small doses over a cooking fire it's perfectly okay. Good find, Lyssa."

She glared down at the root and then watched Cairma stood up and patted her on the back like a child. She stiffened behind the womans hand and then let her muscles release. "Don't worry, if there were anything poisonous in the brew, I'd find it before it killed any of us. If there was one thing that I was better at than Aran it was picking out poisons. Melenis, why don't you stay here and watch the camp for a little bit. The others will be back really quick, and just tell them to stay as well, or if one of you needs to go, you all go, got it?" Her partner turned to Cairma and spoke, "You got it, Cairma. Where are you two going?" Lys glanced at Cairma as the woman walked past her, "Memory lane. Come'on Lyssa. Lets see what other little things we can find." She gulped at the words memory lane and then followed Cairma as the other woman led the way into the woods. "Not sure if memory lane is something I want to deal with Cairma, just the thought of certain people makes me want to pound a fist against the wall or a tree in this case." She glanced around at the trees and then spoke again, "Do you know I haven't been with anyone since him, he ruined me for everyone, no one could kiss like him, or make love like him. I don't think I will ever be comfortable with anyone again." She sighed and leaned out of the way of a tree branch, making sure it didn't touch her skin as she waited for Cairma to speak...

Lyssa Simeone

• 4 weeks later...

Cairma was a little put off with the other woman's blatent need for touch. Had she not known better, Cairma would bet that the woman had been a harlot in past ages. However, any bet she placed often she lost at so there was no reason to speak her mind on that particular theory. Sighing heavily, Cairma looked carefully at Lyssa and offered her a small smile.

"I haven't been with any since Aran either, but that doesn't make me ruined for other men. We don't have to walk down memory lane if you don't want. I said that more to keep this a little more private if we did. Out here there are more poisons than herbs and that knowledge isn't always meant for the untrained ears." Cairma put a hand on the other woman's shoulders, "If we want to keep this working, us as friends, we do need to be honest with each other. You need to let go of the past, Lyssa. It is a terrible hard truth but neither of us can heal if we don't. I'll help as I can, but..." Her eyes grew sad as the pain in her heart grew colder with years of pain.

• 3 weeks later...

"I haven't been with any since Aran either, but that doesn't make me ruined for other men. We don't have to walk down memory lane if you don't want. I said that more to keep this a little more private if we did. Out here there are more poisons than herbs and that knowledge isn't always meant for the untrained ears." She nodded, and wondered if Cairma just didn't realized that she was ruined for all other men. Only time would tell that for both of them. At this point she wasn't ready to be in any kind of relationship and it could be that the other woman just felt the same. She had loved the man deeply and gave birth to his child, so she had felt an even closer connection that anyone else had. Cairma put a hand on her shoulder which shook her out of her deep thoughts and continued, "If we want to keep this working, us as friends, we do need to be honest with each other. You need to let go of the past, Lyssa. It is a terrible hard truth but neither of us can heal if we don't. I'll help as I can, but..." Nodding her head she wiped at the tears that she hadn't realized had formed until now and then turned to the other woman. "Your right Cairma, I can't spend the rest of my life in love with him or hiding inside my shell because I don't want to be with anyone else but him. He is long gone and though it hurts, it's something I just have to deal with." She laughed, "Maybe I just need to sleep with someone else to get over him. Interested?" Trying not to laugh harder for she didn't want to attract the notice anything that might be in these woods. "Kidding, I don't know if I could ever be with another woman, but if it were one it would be you. That's meant as a compliment by the way." Shaking her head she continued, "Your the only friend I have had for some time Cairma. So what did you want to talk about?"

Lyssa Simeone