DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galad in A Memory of Light

Paviel

Something occurred to me that makes me wonder if perhaps the title "A Memory of Light" is a reference to Galad. Notwithstanding that his name means "Light" in Sindarin, Galad is also the only one who remembers what the Children of the Light originally stood for. (Or at least he was when we saw him last; he may have reminded some of the other Whitecloaks between now and then...)

It probably means nothing, but I thought I'd share that thought.

It is extremely unlikely that a bunch of fundamentalists who have been minor bad guys until the prologue of what was meant to be the penultimate book all of a sudden would be so important that they get the honour to name the final book. No way.

A Memory of Light could mean something as simple as there's darkness all over the world (not real darkness, but the Shadow's forces). I took it to mean a prolonged war, people remembering peaceful times. Nothing says TG will last for the length of a single fight with the Power between Rand and the Dark One's champion. That would be an awful abrupt ending to a 12 book series. I'm hoping we see a real war with the dread lords leading the dark armies and the good guys leading theirs. Ituralde, Galad, Lan, Gawyn, Rand (or maybe it'd be Narishma in this case).

I can see Galad gathering the Children around him and freeing the CoL prisoners from the Seanchan, then leading a rush on a swarm of shadowspawn he finds out are attacking a city wherever he ends up. The image that comes to mind is Gandalf and his sword raised in a shower of light charging down a hill with the Riders of Rohan into the mass of orcs at Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.

Archived