DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Early Meetings In Caemlyn {Attn Gianna}

TaiDashan

Tai turned to look at himself in the mirror. The early morning light filtered in softly and gave him enough light to see his reflection. Lightly bubbled as the mirror was, he had been lucky to find a full length piece on one of his turns at recruiting. He was wearing a dark green silk coat with a high, crisp collar. The buttons were of a yellowish metal that shone nicely and complimented the thread of gold along the edges of the garment. His breeches where a shade darker and fit snugly. All in all he felt pleased with the look. For over 3 years he had only worn the black coat of an Asha'man. This was the first time since his arrival so long ago that he had worn anything else and it still felt odd. His hand brushed the empty edges of his collar and he sighed. His other hand strayed to the belt pouch where the Sword and Dragon pins where held. He snatched his hand away when he realized what he was doing and straightened his coat. Arath had told him, practically ordered him, to get away from the Farm. Away from his training and just relax for a few days. After a little arguing Tai had given in. With all the things going on, Aria showing up, his studying of the healing weaves, and Chaos taking control, Tai had to agree he needed a break. As if thinking of him had summoned the mad voice in his head, Chaos spoke.

~You are a coward. Running away from his duty.~ Chaos whispered darkly. Tai shoved Chaos into the back of his mind. He was wary around him ever since he had taken control and attacked Arath. Nothing had terrified Tai more, and he was very cautious not to let it happen again. Soon he was floating in the Void and his cares floated outside of it. He was one. One with the air, the bed, everything around him. He felt the stir of the hair on his neck and felt the pull of Saidin, calling to him with its siren's voice, beckoning him to launch into the fight for survival he had become so familiar with. He resisted the urge to engage in that battle, to feel the struggle that let him know he was alive.

Picking up his scrip and swinging it over his shoulder by its wide leather strap, he ran a hand through his hair and sighed again. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately. Turning from the mirror he quietly stepped out the door. It was foolish to sneak around in his own house but he did not want Aria insisting on coming with him. Over the last week she had acted like their conversation had never occurred. Oh she didn't hang on him and make eyes at him, but she was never one for that. She still stayed close to him and used any excuse to be in his company. Quietly he walked down the stairs and passed the traveling room. He would travel but he did not want to announce what he was. That had been a point that Arath had discussed with him. He would go somewhere close so that he could travel by horse. He had chosen Caemlyn as his destination and promised to spend a few days in the city before returning to the Farm. Walking out the back door he chuckled. The last time he had left the Farm he had been so eager. The chuckle died on his lips. He had come home with another man's death on his hands and others wounded there wasn't much to chuckle at.

~Death.~  Panted Chaos, before Tai could shove him away again. ~Death and pain.~ 

He fell into a sullen sulk as he crossed the grounds under a gray, early morning sky. He did not like to be reminded of that day, he had been forced to watch the destruction of one Asha'man and had had to kill another, one who had had much more training than he had. It had been a grim day. Greeting the groom softly he had the horse readied, a dusty gray that frisked as he mounted. Apparently he had not been walked enough and was eager to have its own rein. After passing the front gates of the Tower he let the gray run while keeping it in hand, glancing back briefly to look at the Tower until it was hidden by the trees.

After a time he found himself entering Caemlyn by the south gate. It was strange wandering around, choosing an Inn where to spend the night. There was a slight excitement that shot through him as he was enveloped by the crowd and the rush of the city closed in. It was definitely different from the roar of exploding earth and the crack of cloudless lightnings. Soon enough he stopped at the River's Crossing. A small Inn closer to the center of Caemlyn than the South Gate. Tai glanced at the sign above the door as the man took his horse and a silver penny. It showed a picture of a flowing river, the Erinin he supposed, and a sturdy bridge. The painted traveler crossing the bridge was chipped, but looked to be whistling pleasantly. Sighing he snugged his gloves and headed inside. Might as well get settled for the night.

Gianna stared into her goblet of wine and sighed.  The dark red liquid reflected her features back at her, but gave no answers to her inner struggles.

I am surely not the first to seek answers at the bottom of a cup.  At least I know better than to keep searching there.

The young Blue had been tracking her Uncle Toram almost from the day she was Raised, thirteen long years ago.  Toram was now pushing the age of seventy, yet Gianna had failed to track the man down.  After his failed bid at the crown following Laman’s Pride, Toram had been a ghost.  He always managed to be a step in front of those seeking him, Gia included.  She knew that if one of the others searching for Toram found him before she did, they would not be as merciful as she.

It would be a lie to say that Gianna had done nothing else with her time since attaining the shawl but hare after her Darkfriend of an Uncle.  She had traveled far and wide in that time, mostly in the south and east.  It seemed that everywhere she stopped, there was something that needed the attention of an Aes Sedai to make right.  She felt she knew every Inn and Tavern in Cairhien, Tear, Jehennah, Illian, and Murandy.  Until this point, she had not ventured into Andor very often.  There was not much reason to, as Toram’s trail had never led here and she had few agents in this area of the world.  That was something she was now trying to remedy.

She sat in a common room corner, facing the door entering the River’s Crossing Inn.  Her father had managed to impart several bits of street wisdom to Gianna before he died; never sitting with your back to a door was foremost among these.  Her dress was divided for riding, and was a blue so dark it appeared black in the poor light of the room.  Narrow slashes of silver cut across her breast, and stretched only to her rib cage—far fewer slashes than she was entitled to.  The silver stars of House Riatin were embroidered with care upon her neckline. 

The sun had not yet set but candles of tallow were already lit in the common room against the impending evening.  Their flickering light revealed her features clearly; indigo eyes stood out from an oval-shaped face.  Her pale skin was accented by high cheekbones and thin lips.  She looked to be a young woman in her prime, perhaps in her mid-twenties.  Gianna had heard the rumours of male channelers somewhere near Caemlyn; a tied-off weave of the Mask of Mirrors hid any trace of agelessness from her face.  The last thing she needed was to get tangled up with one of those.

She lifted her head as a new patron entered the establishment; mahogany waves fell backward off her shoulder.  Under guise of calling for another glass of wine, Gianna studied him openly.  He was a youth of perhaps twenty-seven or so.  His clothing was of a good cut and did not look travel-stained or dusty.  He carried no bags and there were no servants with him, so he must not be a traveling Lord.  He didn’t have the look of one that has ridden in a saddle all day, so his travels this day must have been short.

Gianna needed more personal contacts in this part of the world; the agents of the Blue as a whole could only do so much.  She had been studying the people coming and going in several Inns this day, and none had been what she needed.  Perhaps this one would do.

She saw the youth turn away from the bar where the Innkeep held court, a mug of ale in one of his hands.  Gianna shrugged slightly, letting her cloak fall to the bench below her and revealing her white shoulders in the process.  She peered into her glass again, putting a clouded and slightly troubled look on her face. 

That should do the trick…a beautiful woman alone in a common room, looking like she is a damsel in distress.  Unless this boy is blind, I will soon have a companion at my table.

Gianna waited, continuing to study the dregs at the bottom of the goblet.

Tai walked through the door to the River's Crossing and was immediately surprised. A light haze from the tallow candles clung to the ceiling. He had left at dawn and the journey had not taken him long. The sun was just past its zenith but the Inn had small and sparing windows and what little light filtered in was weak. He had gotten spoiled with the wide windows in Faringol Manor back at the Farm. The Innkeeper was not difficult to find laughing and talking loudly with one of the patrons, and Tai made his way over to the round, red-cheeked man. He had a fringe of white hair haloing his head but the top was bare and shined faintly in the soft light. Waiting to be noticed Tai shifted his sword and delved into the purse at his belt, digging out the coins needed for a drink. He did not have to wait long. The innkeeper noticed him with a start and hurriedly excused himself.

"Hello my Lord and welcome to the River's Crossing. My name is Franos Gintin. Would my Lord like a drink? Our ale is the finest in Caemlyn."

Tai gave a start at being called a lord and nodded an assent to the innkeeper before realizing it. Normally he preferred spiced wine or tea but had answered before thinking and did not want to offend the man. After negotiating a price for the next few nights he pulled off his riding gloves, tucked them behind his belt, grabbed his ale and went to settle himself at table. There was some soft music from a group in the corner and it would be nice to relax and listen while tasting the ale. Lost in thought he wandered to an empty table in the corner. He was mildly surprised to find a pretty young woman sitting alone at a table. Her white shoulders were bare and she was gazing into her wine.

~Her skin looks soft. She is alone and you ache with hunger.~ Tai almost stumbled and a faint heat rose in his cheeks at Chaos' crude words. It had been a long time since he had shared a pillow with a woman true, but that did not mean she wanted his attentions. Attempting not to stare he sat quietly at the empty table next to hers and purposely sat so that she was to his right. He squeezed his eyes shut and muted Chaos to a buzz. Running his hand through his wavy, dark brown, ear length hair he sighed for what seemed like the hundredth time today. He fixed his ice blue eyes on the mug of ale without taking a sip and tried to loose himself in the music.

I am not doing a very good job of relaxing. He thought to himself with a soft snort.

Gianna could see the young man approaching the corner where she sat.  She barely kept a smirk off of her lips and continued her intense study of her wine.  She was surprised when he took a slight stutter step and then sat at the table adjacent to hers. 

Perhaps he is shy...or cautious.  A measure of caution is rare in young men.  It looks like I will have to be more direct with this one.

She rose from her seat, collecting her cloak and heading to the powder room.  At the bar, she asked the innkeep to see that a pitcher of the spiced wine was placed upon her table when she returned.

In the powder room, Gianna carefully applied a light rouge to her cheeks.  She typically avoided paints and powders, but in this case it was necessary to play up the doe-eyed damsel.  The paints usually played havoc with her pale skin if she left them on too long; it would be simple to just adjust the Mask of Mirrors weave.  But she dared not weave in the immediate vicinity of so many other people.  The paints would have to do.

Gianna returned from the powder room, pulling her cloak around herself.  As she walked toward her table, she caught the inside of the left side of her cloak with her fingers.  The young man had left his mug near to the edge of his table by his right hand.  It was a simple matter for Gianna to tip the edge of the mug with her left hand; the cloak hid this action and made it look like the fabric had simply caught against the vessel.  The pewter rang hollowly as it fell to the floor, splashing amber liquid on the young man's shoes.  He jumped backwards in his chair; Gianna turned to him with a look of distress on her fair face.

"Oh, I am so sorry, my Lord!"  She clapped a hand to her cheek and made her expression pure surprise and alarm.  "I am so clumsy!"  She pulled a handkerchief from her sleeve and made as if to stoop and wipe his feet.  Now the youth looked positively stricken; he shook his head no and opened his mouth to speak, though no words came out. 

Gianna sunk to the chair she had occupied earlier.  She maintained the distressed look on her face.  "I really should have been watching where I was going.  I just can't seem to think straight today; nothing has been going right for me, it seems."  She let a tremor enter her voice on the last few words; her eyes shined in the candlelight as if rimmed with tears.

She signaled for another goblet and shakily poured wine from the pitcher into the two goblets.  She handed one to the youth, who had finished mopping the ale from his boots.  Her voice still held a tremor as she spoke.  "Please, my Lord, come share a drink with me so that I may apologize for my ungraceful actions."

I do hate leading a man by the nose, but occasionally it has to be done.

Tai tried to lose himself in his thoughts, that was without letting Chaos pipe up. Aria had shown back up and made herself a fixture in his life again whether he liked it or not. Arath had had him working at the Infirmary everyday to learn the healing weaves necessary and every night asked him if he had thought up anything to add. it was enough to make any sane man crazy. He sighed at the bad choice of words and focused on the music coming from the corner. As the soft music started to relax him, Tai forgot all about his untouched ale. That is until it ended up practically in his lap. Sensing someone nearby he opened his eyes in time to see his mug tip over the edge. Scooting his chair backward his gaze fell on the woman from earlier.

"Oh, I am so sorry, my Lord! I am so clumsy!" Her hand flew to her cheek and she looked positively horrified. She pulled a handkerchief from her sleeve and Tai's eyes widened further and he shook his head emphatically no. He opened his mouth to protest and noticed her clothing. From what he had heard from some of the Carhienian at the Tower, those slashes meant some kind of nobility although he couldn't remember quite how. He opened his mouth to speak but Choas beat him to the punch.

~She better flaming apologize the clumsy goat-brained...~ Tai shut his mouth with a sharp click and shoved Chaos roughly to a corner of his mind. Shut up! He thought at him. Quickly he bent to clean up his shoes as the Lady sunk into her chair.

"I really should have been watching where I was going.  I just can't seem to think straight today; nothing has been going right for me, it seems." Her voice shook on the edge of breaking and tears threatened. Light how he hated it when women cried! He made himself focus on cleaning the remaining liquid from his boots so that he hardly noticed her adding another goblet of wine to that already on the table. A servant started mopping up the remaining liquid and Tai rose to get out of his way.

"Please, my Lord, come share a drink with me so that I may apologize for my ungraceful actions."

Tai Glanced up at her from watching the servant and blinked. She was beautiful. Hurriedly he forsook that train of thought and made a slight bow from the waist.

"My lady, the fault is mine. I never should have been so careless with where i put my mug. If it so pleases you I will indeed join you, but I insist the fault is mine." He grinned at her in what he hoped was a disarming manner. He had been told that his smile in that boyishly handsome face could melt hearts. He was not after this Lady's heart but he definitely wanted her to be at ease.

Tai sat and took the proffered mug, leaning closer to her while looking around. He was pleased to see that it was spiced wine. "In fact," He said behind his hand in a conspiratory tone. "I truly did not want the ale, you have done me a favor my lady." He chuckled softly then. Straightening he resumed a more serious tone. "But here I am going on about myself. What trouble have you run aground of if I might be so bold?"

Tai was not sure he could help the woman. The problems of nobles did not concern a Jewelry Merchant's son, but he had a tender heart and held little resistance for a woman in need. He silently cursed himself for wearing such finery. He was no bloody lord. True, he had seen enough of them to act the part fairly well, but he had not meant to be taken for one when choosing what he would wear. He simply had liked the way it looked.

The man seemed startled at her mention of sharing a drink with her.  He quickly recovered, however, and gave her a precise bow.

"My lady, the fault is mine. I never should have been so careless with where I put my mug. If it so pleases you I will indeed join you, but I insist the fault is mine."  He flashed her a grin; his smile was endearing and he had perfect teeth.  He really was quite handsome.

You had better quiet those girlish thoughts and keep your mind to the task at hand, Gianna.

He plucked the goblet from her outstretched hand as he sat across from her. He leaned across the table and lowered his voice to a whisper. "In fact, I truly did not want the ale, you have done me a favor my lady." He laughed musically and sat up straight again.  In a more conversational tone, he continued, "But here I am going on about myself. What trouble have you run aground of if I might be so bold?"

Gianna blinked. Trouble? Oh yes...here I've gone woolgathering in this youth's eyes. Concentrate!

"I don't think it is anything for you to worry yourself over, my Lord.  But it would lift a weight from my shoulders to talk to someone about it, if you don't mind."  He nodded and she took a deep breath before speaking.

"I am Gia, Gia Riatin.  After my father died, pretty much the only family I had left was my Uncle Toram.  I have been searching for him for some time now.  I don't suppose you know much of the troubles in Cairhien after Laman was killed?"  The man shook his head no, so Gianna continued. "Well, my Uncle Toram felt he had a good chance at taking the Sun Throne.  In the Wars of Succession that followed, many of my House and other Houses were killed before Saighan finally succeeded.  This left many of us refugees.  Toram survived his failed bid for the Throne, but he has disappeared since then.  I have been searching everywhere for him, or others of my House.  My wanderings have finally brought me here, to Caemlyn.  I have heard a few rumors that lead me to believe that my Uncle is taking refuge somewhere in Andor, but the trail has run dry.  I haven't decided what to do next; I am trying to make a few contacts here that can send me letters with news of the area.  Perhaps a clue in the gossip of the region will lead me to him."

Gianna paused and took a deep swallow from her wine; talking was thirsty work.  She was proud of the twisting of words she had just accomplished however.  It was all truth, yet it was not a complete accounting of her true reasons.  She looked back up at the man, who was carefully trying to keep his eyes upon her face.  She smiled graciously at him.  "But I am sure you are not interested in my life story.  Tell me, what is your name, my Lord?"

The lady blinked at the mention of her troubles and for a moment Tai thought he had overstepped propriety.

"I don't think it is anything for you to worry yourself over, my Lord.  But it would lift a weight from my shoulders to talk to someone about it, if you don't mind."

Chaos said something particularly nasty about her shoulders and he barely kept the blush from his cheeks. Unable to speak he simply nodded.

"I am Gia, Gia Riatin.  After my father died, pretty much the only family I had left was my Uncle Toram.  I have been searching for him for some time now.  I don't suppose you know much of the troubles in Cairhien after Laman was killed?"

Laman? Who was that? Being a merchant's son he had heard rumors here and there but most had been wild fancy that only a fool would believe. At least that is what his mother said. He had heard plenty about Cairhien but nothing of Laman. Besides, he was enjoying looking at her eyes. He shook his head and she continued.

"Well, my Uncle Toram felt he had a good chance at taking the Sun Throne.  In the Wars of Succession that followed, many of my House and other Houses were killed before Saighan finally succeeded.  This left many of us refugees.  Toram survived his failed bid for the Throne, but he has disappeared since then.  I have been searching everywhere for him, or others of my House.  My wanderings have finally brought me here, to Caemlyn.  I have heard a few rumors that lead me to believe that my Uncle is taking refuge somewhere in Andor, but the trail has run dry.  I haven't decided what to do next; I am trying to make a few contacts here that can send me letters with news of the area.  Perhaps a clue in the gossip of the region will lead me to him."

She took a sip of her wine and he took the oppurtunity to reflect. The tale she had just told was grand indeed. A woman made refugee from her own home, civil war, a bid for a throne! Her father had been killed and her only surviving relative was no where to be found. No wonder she was struggling! Light the woman had almost been royalty and now she was a refugee! She smiled at him then and he believed it all. The owner of that smile could not have lied.

"But I am sure you are not interested in my life story.  Tell me, what is your name, my Lord?"

He had been gazing at her, struggling to keep his eyes above her chin. With a start he realized she had asked his name.

"Forgive me my Lady, I should have given you my name before. Tai, Tai'Dashan. Your story is grave indeed. Any man, or woman," He allowed. "would be right to feel a little lost in your situation."

He leaned back in his chair after sipping his spiced wine, throwing one arm across the back of it casually. He had acquired a grace of sorts training in the Tower. Nothing like a Warder but it had a similar effect. Some of the civilians at the Tower had said it was like the men radiated readiness, even at their ease. It made some uncomfortable. He was careful not to look too casual as he did not want to offend, but he did not want to appear as if he were a lost puppy.

"Please, honor binds me to offer aid." He smiled again. "But my heart truly desires to do so, how may I be of assistance?"

"Forgive me my Lady, I should have given you my name before. Tai, Tai'Dashan. Your story is grave indeed. Any man, or woman, would be right to feel a little lost in your situation."

Gianna watched as he casually laid his arm against the back of the chair next to him. He sipped his wine in thought. 

He seems more confident in himself than I first guessed.  It must have been caution that led him to sit at the other table at first.  Perhaps I have underestimated this one. Tai'Dashan... that would translate as 'True one who is a Lord.'  Well, his mother certainly thought highly of him when choosing that name!  Let us see if this young Lord will be true or not.

Tai straightened, giving her a more serious look before he spoke.  "Please, honor binds me to offer aid." He smiled again. "But my heart truly desires to do so, how may I be of assistance?"

Gianna couldn't help but smile at the chivalry of this young man.  He would do quite nicely.

"Oh, I wouldn't ask anything of you, Tai'Dashan.  My plan is to head out tomorrow for New Braem to the north.  I know some people there, and in Kore Springs west of there.  I am sure I can manage the day's ride there with no problems."

She shifted in her seat, letting her hair fall across her cheek.  She left the unruly locks there as she tilted her head to peer up at him through long eyelashes.

"However, if you are from this area, I would appreciate it muchly if you could see your way to sending me a bit of correspondence now and again about any rumors you have heard, no matter how odd they sound.  I never know what little clue might lead me to my wayward Uncle."  She laughed, a sound of tinkling bells.  "And I must say, Tai, that even if you aren't from this area, a bit of correspondence from you would be welcomed anyway."

She filled her goblet from the pitcher and stopped with the pitcher hovering over his cup. "More wine?"

The Lady smiled in response to his words and he had to swallow. She was pretty and Chaos was right, it had been a while since he had shared a pillow with a woman.

"Oh, I wouldn't ask anything of you, Tai'Dashan.  My plan is to head out tomorrow for New Braem to the north.  I know some people there, and in Kore Springs west of there.  I am sure I can manage the day's ride there with no problems."

She shifted in her seat, letting her hair fall across her cheek.  She left the unruly locks there as she tilted her head to peer up at him through long eyelashes. His heart jumped into his throat and firmly took up residence.

"However, if you are from this area, I would appreciate it muchly if you could see your way to sending me a bit of correspondence now and again about any rumors you have heard, no matter how odd they sound.  I never know what little clue might lead me to my wayward Uncle."

Tai's mind raced. What would he write about? He never heard anything at the Farm except for big events that she surely would have heard of. Before he could protest, she spoke again.

"And I must say, Tai, that even if you aren't from this area, a bit of correspondence from you would be welcomed anyway. More wine?" she said laughingly.

Tai nodded his assent and watched as he poured more for him. She was pleasant and it would help to pass the time. He would have to keep things fairly vague but he thought he could do it. He looked up and straight into her blue eyes.

"My Lady I would truly love to correspond with you. I am not in a position where i hear anything beyond my own gates. The occasional rumor may slip by however and I would be glad to assist if at all possible." He realized his hand was close to hers and he straightened, picking up his wine and drinking to hide his blush.

Tai nodded in answer to the wine, and Gianna filled his cup.  He watched her pour, then looked up at her with ice blue eyes.  His gaze locked hers like a vise and she nearly over filled his cup before he spoke.

"My Lady I would truly love to correspond with you. I am not in a position where i hear anything beyond my own gates. The occasional rumor may slip by however and I would be glad to assist if at all possible." He straightened quickly, snatching after his goblet and burying his face in it to hide the flush that was creeping across his cheeks.

Gianna could feel a smile curving the corners of her mouth and fought it down; she didn't want Tai to think she was laughing at him.  The musicians in the common room struck up a merry reel that Gianna knew as "Cat's in the Cream", and she did smile this time.

If the proximity of our hands made him blush, just wait til I drag him on the dance floor!

"Tai, I do appreciate you helping a lady in her time of need.  If you take your letters to Mistress Morella at the Dancing Squire Inn in the New City, she will see they make it to me, whereever I am."

She rose, pushing her bench back and letting her cloak fall off of her shoulders.  Gianna graced Tai with a wide smile and leaned across the table, putting her hand on the green silk sleeve of his right arm.  "And now, let me repay you in the only way I have available at current; will you share a few steps with me?"

"Tai, I do appreciate you helping a lady in her time of need.  If you take your letters to Mistress Morella at the Dancing Squire Inn in the New City, she will see they make it to me, wherever I am."

She stood then, letting her cloak fall to the bench. She gave him a wide smile and leaned across the table. Each breath she took did marvelous things to the parts of her she had placed in close proximity to him. A blush crept up his cheeks and he almost jumped when her hand landed lightly on his arm.

"And now, let me repay you in the only way I have available at current,"

Chaos cackled excitedly at the suggestion.

"will you share a few steps with me?" Tai let out a breath he had not known he was holding.

"I..um..that is my Lady.." He did not have long to splutter as Gia soon pulled him on to the dance floor laughing again. His face was flushed crimson. He was had never been an amazing dancer, not that he was a horrible dim-witted buffoon mind, he had just never been great. Aside from that he did not want to offend her gratitude. The musicians had been playing a lively tune and after showing him the steps they started whirling around the room. They were not the only two on the floor but close to it. The other two couples left them plenty of room. On a particularly complex turn Gia's hair flashed away from the side of her face and he noted a slim, pale scar, almost beyond notice. It lay like a white feather across snow. It was no wonder he had missed it before. He thought of asking her but it was not his place to let his curiosity impinge. Red faced and laughing they carried the dance a few steps after the musicians had ended the song. Tai bowed deeply at the waist while holding her left hand in his right.

"My Lady, I thank you." He said, grinning widely. His breath was somewhat short as was hers and his blood pounded in his ears. One glance at the window showed him night had fallen long since. "I fear I must bid you goodnight." He said, motioning to the dark sky outside the small window.

"I..um..that is my Lady.." Gianna grinned as Tai spluttered and tried to avoid the inevitable.  She laughed and pulled him out to the dance floor while he blushed furiously.

Gianna showed him the steps to a quick reel, and they peeled off down the dance floor to the lively music.  The other couples gave them a wide berth as they whirled madly.  For a country boy, Tai did a good job of keeping up.  As Gianna spun in his arms, she was filled with the pure bliss of forgetting all of your troubles.

It is nice to not have to be Aes Sedai to my toenails every minute of the day...I should do this more often!

Almost as if her thoughts had cued them, the musicians began to wind down and the reel came to a stately close.  Gianna couldn't help continuing the dance a few steps after the closing bars out of regret and reluctance.  How nice it would be to pass an evening doing nothing but dancing!

Tai took a step backwards so that he had room to give her a proper bow.  She smiled and curtsied in return, and he grinned as he spoke. "My Lady, I thank you."

He sounds a bit winded...for that matter, I am as breathless as a virgin during the Feast of Lights!

He glanced toward the common room windows and Gianna followed his gaze.  Full dark had fallen outside, filling her with a small bit of regret.  This evening had to end soon, or she would be worthless for traveling tomorrow.  Luckily, Tai made his regards first. "I fear I must bid you goodnight."

Gianna nodded slowly and let him lead her back to their table.  She gathered her cloak and threw back the remaining wine in her goblet.  Only then did she turn to Tai. 

"I thank you for your company this evening, Tai'Dashan.  It has truly been a pleasure for me.  I must be leaving in the morning for New Braem, perhaps I will see you when I break my fast in the morning."

She laid her hand upon his arm again and stood on tiptoes.  Tai's eyes widened as she laid a soft peck upon his nearest cheek.  Gianna settled back on her heels and gave him one last smile.  Then she turned swiftly for the stairs, cloak swirling about her shoulders.

Gia nodded slowly and he led her back to the table they had sat at earlier. Gathering her cloak she tossed back the wine remaining in her goblet. He was reminded of how thirsty he was and did the same.

"I thank you for your company this evening, Tai'Dashan.  It has truly been a pleasure for me.  I must be leaving in the morning for New Braem, perhaps I will see you when I break my fast in the morning."

Tai grinned at the comment but it wavered a little as she put her hand on his arm and stood on her toes. His eyes widened as she kissed his cheek softly before settling to her toes. He hardly had time to blush before she had turned to the stairs, settling her cloak about her shoulders. Tai heard a snicker behind him and turned quickly to find a serving maid cleaning the table quite ostentatiously. Blushing, he gathered his things. He didn't think he had blushed this much in a month! It must have been the change from the Farm, it had him unbalanced.

Soon he was in the room the Innkeeper had provided him and lying on the bed still fully clothed. It was hard to sleep in a different bed after roughly 3 years in your own home. He could hear the patron in the next room snoring, softly through the wall. Other noises, dogs barking in the distance, night birds calling helped to keep him awake. Gia was going to be traveling  alone tomorrow. Bandits and worse had been seen on the roads of late and worry for her soon kept him awake more easily than any noise. Finally he made up his mind, he would offer to see if she would take him with her at least to New Braem. Undressing in the cool air he settled on to the lumpy mattress and drifted off to sleep.