DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Attention Southerners! In need of Fried Chicken Recipe!

Tigara

Simple!  You call up Kentucky Fried Chicken and order a bucket! :D  Oh, no?

This is where I admit I've never made such from scratch myself, but I'm willing to bet the best place to start would be, honestly, to find a good batter.  If you know how to make one already or have access to batter, then you'd batter your thawed meat and then fry it.  I think that covers the heart of it, though I'm sure someone'll have something fancier than that to share.

<3

I've made fried chicken a few times, but it's never been anything so complicated as a recipe.  Heh.  Personally, I use boneless skinless chicken breasts (they cook more evenly than the boned chicken breasts, plus, no mess from dinner to hide from the cat until trash day). 

Put a large frying pan (I prefer to use one with upright sides instead of sloped sides) on medium heat and fill it with enough oil to cover just over half of the depth of the chicken breasts.  The oil will get used up, so if you have more than one pan-full of chicken to cook, you'll want to add another half-inch or so of oil per batch.  You can use any vegetable oil you want, but I find corn oil or canola oil give the best flavor.  Because stoves vary, medium may be too hot or too low on yours.  You want the oil to sizzle if you flick a few drops of water into it, but not so hard that it spits hot oil everywhere.

Take a big bowl, put a fair amount of flour into it, add a little bit of salt or other seasonings if you wish, I usually stick to just some salt.  Drop a breast into the flour, turn it over a few times to get it coated nice and properly.  You don't want it to sit around with the flour on it too long, or the flour will turn from powdery to pasty, which doesn't make as nice a skin, imo.  If you like a thicker crust on your chicken, you can set the floured chicken aside for a while, let it get pasty, and then put it back in the flour to give it a thicker covering of flour. 

When you fry the chicken, it doesn't have to be turned over very frequently - it's possible  to cook the chicken only turning it once but I haven't really managed that just yet.  If you find that the flour is browning before the chicken cooks, the heat is too high.  If the chicken looks mostly done but you're not sure, you can cut into the meat to check if the inside is cooked all the way. 

Because I learned mostly by trial and error (not too much error, it's easier than I thought it would be) but I never write anything down or time things, I know this is vague, but hopefully if you read a recipe for fried chicken online that has the technical stuff, this will help.

Fried chicken is yum.  ^_^