DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Paint in my hair (Attn: Jaydena)

Cleopatra Narisse

The book she had read was not at all boring as Philamena had said it was. But then she suspected Philamena wasn't as well read in this area. Satin, of course, couldn't put it down. She read it as if it were the best love story, the best autobiography or the best cook book. She read most books like that because, she loved to learn all that she could. So, a book about Bird Behavior was very dear to her. Birds were her second love. The first of course being the study of people.

Her free days were always spent this way. Reading or searching for some information on one of the current Sisters. She wanted to know them a lot more than they would ever let on. It was one of the most tedious tasks. No one knew anything... well, not really. Unless it was written in some long ago ledger or book of prophecy. Which she had an endless wealth of in the library but to ask a Novice or Accepted got looks of suspicion or was told to keep my nose out of Aes Sedai business. What? she thought, I just want to be one step ahead them if that was possible. But, today she was just feeling like a bit of fresh air. So she would go to the tower gardens and see if the same raven she had befriended, was about. Maybe she could train it.

She looked at her hair for a moment. Not out of vanity, but because others would comment. She didn't want to look horrible in front of the Aes Sedai. She wasn't a wet mop as once described by a passing Red.

The halls were filled with moving bodies, on their way to class, or to the dinning hall or some such places. Satin's stare was straight ahead but she caught sight of the Green Sitter coming down the hall. She readied her curtsy.

• 2 weeks later...

Jaydena glanced around her rooms and wondered when her rooms had gotten so dirty. She wasn't sure how time had gotten away from her the way it had, but it seemed like just a few days ago she had freshened the paint on her quarters. Maybe it was the depression she had been going through lately but she hadn't noticed the fading or chip paint or the dirty walls. At some point she had kicked her servants out and as a result her rooms were filthy. I guess that is what came with losing a part of you soul. She shook her head and put the thoughts of her gaidin lost out of her mind. That road only led to pain and yet more depression. Her curvy frame had shrunk in the weeks of her depression from lack of nutrition and her clothes hung on her body. Her body hadn't been the only thing to suffer. The hair which she was horribly vain about had begun to fall out and had lost it's gleaming auburn shine. Lack of something in her diet to be sure, but not something that could be deal with at this moment. Two days ago she had noticed her surroundings and had begun to eat again. Had gotten her rooms cleaned and apologized to her servants for sending them into other parts of the Tower. She now needed to paint her room and in order to do that she needed to find a few willing Novices.

She walked from her rooms and headed through the Tower, looking for a Novice that seemed to be free for the day. It wouldn't hurt them to paint her rooms, she had done things like that as a Novice and Accepted and it had given her strength and character. Just as she reached one of the exits to the gardens she saw a young Novice walking toward her, the girl got ready to curtsy and Jade stepped forward. "Enough of that girl, I have a task for you. Come with me at once." Jade turned and began walking back to the Green quarters. She didn't look behind her to make sure the girl was following her, she didn't need to. The girl would follow her if she was well trained, for she knew what would happen if she didn't. As she reached the door to her quarters she opened herself to the source and undid the wards she had erected as she left her quarters. The door was made of solid wood and painted a dark green, inlaid on the door was a sword with a jade handle. The stone inside the handle was real as was the sword metal itself. All the swords on these doors meant something but this girl wouldn't know what they meant unless she went Green. That is if she made it to the rank of Aes Sedai at all, as many did not. The floor tiles which were white also had green swords on each of them which matched some of the ones on the doors.

She took one last glance behind her at the walls, the top half of them were a mint green and the bottom were a deep green. Just within her vision she could see several tapestries of battles and more than one inlaid table hold some priceless Green treasure. With a look of pride she walked into the room and then shut the door behind the girl she had found. "Hello my child, my name is Jaydena Mckanthur. Today I have a task for you, a chore which I am sure you are used to. Though this one will most likely be different than anything you have ever done. My room hasn't been painted in about fifteen years and as you can see the paint has started to chip and fade. So your task today will be to paint my suite of rooms. What is your name my child?" Jaydena folded her hands at her waist and then smoothed the green velvet dress with it's high waist over her hips. Her green eyes regarded the Novice steadily as she waited for her to respond...

Jaydena Mckanthur

ooc- Sorry for the delay sweetie, still super sick.

As predictable as any Aes Sedai, the woman regarded her in a fashion, well expected. Satin, stopped in the middle of a curtsy as the Green Aes Sedai had commanded. She seemed to have a bit of a hurried attitude, and so, Satin steadied herself.

The command of the Aes Sedai was short and purposeful, directing her to follow and, quickly, Satin did so. The Green was a very smart and poised woman. Satin would have to find out about her more. Very interesting...

The Green made her way through the halls as if a path had been laid, expressly for her. It was amazing to watch the Novices and Accepted curtsying away and parting like a Queen was riding through a township. A smallish smile creased her lips. One day, she thought.

They reached the Aes Sedai quarters and she nearly came to a stop, as the Green marched on steadily forward. Quickly recovering, she sped up her pace to catch up. Nothing was said... nothing yet.

The Green slowed up as she reached her door. To say the least, the door was not a simple slab of wood or iron. It was beautifully adorned with emerald, and an inlaid sword. So, this is what it meant to be a Green? The pride of the Green Ajah, the Battle Ajah was right "out there". She quickly scanned the hall and noticed, each door held a sword and some gem work. They had no reason to be shy, nor could they be. The were the Battle Ready Ajah. But just as quickly, Satin soon thought about the worthiness of all the other Ajahs. Each had their job, task and specialty to protect the Tower and the good people.

As the Green opened the door, she glided into her room and if it were possible, she straightened even more, and her air of pride grew as well. The obvious was always easy to see. Satin hesitated to go in. She felt that it was a slight to the Aes Sedai to go without a leave to do so.

But, just then the Green addressed her with an short introduction and what she wanted of her. And she was right... she had never done this before. But the task wasn't as daunting to get right. Satin was a perfectionist.

The deep curtsy, was a sign of deep respect. "Jaydena Sedai, I am ready to do this chore. I only need the paints and materials. I suspect you would like me to cover all your possessions?" She looked the Aes Sedai in the eyes.

Satin Sur'Amoura

pride vs certainty

• 2 weeks later...

ooc- Excellent rping, it's almost like you know what it feels like to be a Green Sister. *looks*

IC- Jaydena watched the girl drop into a low curtsy and she nodded in satsifaction. Either the girl had been at the Tower for some time or she came from a background that would allow her to know how to do such a low and graceful curtsy without falling over. She looked at the girl and wondered at her background, was she a noble's child,  raised in a palace of some kind, a merchants daughter who dealt with nobles, or was she simply a farm girl such as herself who had learned how to fake it well.  The young woman began speaking and Jade glanced back at her and pushed the thoughts from her head, The deep curtsy, "Jaydena Sedai, I am ready to do this chore. I only need the paints and materials. I suspect you would like me to cover all your possessions?" She nodded and looked around her rooms one time before she looked back at the girl in front of her. "Yes I have the materials inside of the art room, if you will follow me there we get them, but first what is your name my child." As the girl spoke she nodded and then said as she walked from the room, "Well follow me then Satin and we will begin this."

Jade walked down the room to the art room, which consisted of long benches along two of the walls, easels and canvases stacked against the walls, wooden boxes full of art supplies under the benches and much more, and at one side of the room was her pride and joy in many ways. A door leading to a large kiln, a kiln that the Ajah had built for her as a young Aes Sedai, one that actually worked and which was where she crafted her designs and sent them to her family to be sold or made them to give away in the Tower. Glancing back at the girl she motioned to the wooden cans full of paint and the drop clothes. She picked some up and began walking back towards her room with the girl in tow. When she reached her rooms, she began to cover her furniture and then headed back to the art room again. "So Satin, where are you from, and how long have you been a Novice?"

Jaydena Mckanthur

ooc: I've read about them, from the Tower Mag.

Oh and we keep asking each other what our names are *LOL* :P

ic:

The stare of an Aes Sedai was like no other. Some were deeply investigative while some were dismissive glances that made you feel as valuable as lint. This woman's casual glances, were both inquisitive and warm. Satin could feel the warmth from her, in between the waves of wisdom and searching curiosity. But as a Novice it was her place to find out about you, and Satin knew just how to work with that. Small nuances would not escape her. She liked her face and those eyes were stunning. Deep pools of long ago knowledge. Oh how she would love, to pick her brain.

She regarded her with a nicer disposition than many other Aes Sedai she had met. Marking that in her head, she listened to her explain where the materials were and marking how she was notice ever move Satin made as well.

When she asked her her name, she was of course spoke immediately, "My name is Satin Sur' Amoura, Jaydena Sedai" She inclined her head at the end, a sign of respect and deference. Her father would be so proud.

Then, surprisingly, the Aes Sedai, went with her to help fetch the materials. Not the usual, way of some. Satin, walked with the woman, who seemed to walk so purposefully, on both occasions. Satin decided she must alway be this was. Purposeful. Another mark to remember.

The gathered up the small wooden, keg like barrels filled with the paint she wanted, the drop cloths and painting brushes. The walk again was brisk. She smiled to herself. Yes... purposeful.

The Aes Sedai had not told her her hame yet so, Once they were in the room Satin though she would ask her. The woman and she draped the room to protect the fine things she saw, beautiful furnishings, mirrors and fine tapestry rugs. The woman then asked, "So Satin, where are you from, and how long have you been a Novice?"

She paused just for a moment to wonder how much of her mother she would hide. She just didn't want the woman to matter.

"I am a Mayener. My accent is nearly gone, though. I have been here some time and soon will be eligible for Accepted testing. I can only hope to accomplish so much." A smallish smile escaped her. "I am the only daughter of Barrister Nattan sur Amoura, of Mayene. He is quite busy and seems to be popular to the downtrodden and less fortunate. His heart is open and he is gentlemanly raised. He was my teacher, all of my years. He had hoped that I would follow..." She trailed off into silence as her eye betrayed her sad, daydreaming memories of him. "Oh, pardon me Aes Sedai," with a deep curtsy and a pale blush. She want back to pulling the large canvas over the beautiful dressing table.

Satin Sur Amoura

Going where no man has... well....

• 4 weeks later...

ooc- Oh geez lost the link to this and forgot, sorry sweetie. Oh and we haven't asked each other our names, I told you her name and then asked you hers, in the next post you told me Satin's name. That's the only time we did that. *winks*

She laid a canvas over her couch as she waited for Satin to reply to her questions. The girl seemed to gather herself and Jaydena picked up on the movements she made with her hands. After many years as Aes Sedai she could watch a person and know how they felt. She had been taught the game of houses by a master and though she didn't always use that skill, she knew how to. This girl had something serious to hide from her past but then so many of them did. "I am a Mayener. My accent is nearly gone, though. I have been here some time and soon will be eligible for Accepted testing. I can only hope to accomplish so much. I am the only daughter of Barrister Nattan sur Amoura, of Mayene. He is quite busy and seems to be popular to the downtrodden and less fortunate. His heart is open and he is gentlemanly raised. He was my teacher, all of my years. He had hoped that I would follow..." Jaydena nodded and motioned for the girl to continue, for she had stopped in embarassment, it has been that burst of speak and emotion that revealed how much this girl loved her father. "Oh, pardon me Aes Sedai." She watched as the girl put the canvas material over the dining table.

Jaydena took two more of the drop clothes and laid one over the easy chair and another over the carved cherry wood tea table in the center of her living room. When she was done she grabbed another and laid it over the fireplace to protect it from damage. By then half of the things in living area were covered up. So they headed back to get more drop clothes and finish the living areas cover up. As they walked she spoke, "Continue my dear, you were speaking of your father and your family." She headed into the art room, embraced the source and lifted a huge amount of the drop clothes with a weave of air and sailed back out of the room with Satin in her wake, also carrying drop cloths. They walked back into the room and Jaydena laid a cloth over the breakfront with it's cherry wood and rose carving in the dining room, she covered the desk, and the rest of her bookcases and then they made their way into the bedrooms. She did her gaidins rooms first, they were small with basic amenities and empty at this time but she was still painting them....

Jaydena Sedai

ooc: I needed to get recaught up on this. Been a while *LOL*

IC:

Satin continued to drape canvas over Jaydena Sedai's furnishings. She admired them as she went along, at times, feeling the fine grains in the wood before letting the canvas drop. She followed the Jaydena around, from room to room and after being asked to continue on with her family life and story, she quickly scanned her memories, fitting for this task.

"Certainly Jaydena Sedai. I just don't want to bore you to sleep. I am an only child, with few relatives that live near enough to visit with. So, I spent time with my father, for the most part." She lowered her eyes searching her feelings, "my father is full of life. Ready to save the world and to help ever urchin he sees on the streets. We always give to the poor and provided Winternight festival in our Town Square. Father has live stock that he donates for the feasts. Its quite lovely to see the town come together for that." Though Satin describes the event her tone is even, barely showing emotion in the entire matter. Though one thing the doesn't emanate from her his the powerful pride she feels for her father, in all of it. She told it like an observer instead of, someone involved.

Satin had this certain detachment whereby she would repeat things as she saw them without the joys or reliving them. She had barely begun to really appreciate the life around her and was just mustering her inner joys. Something she would always thank her mentor for.

"He's been Barrister for 30... or well now, longer than that." Satin pause  reconsidering the time she has spent here. "It is what he loves. And nothing pleases me more than to know he has at least, some joy in his life." Satin's eyebrown twitched downward ever so subtly.

"Aes Sedai, if I may ask?" She paused until Jaydena approved for her to continue. "Will there be a time, after Accepted, that I may write to my father? Or have a visit with him?"

Satin was amazed to see Jaydena Sedai us her powers so easily and without thought, it seemed. They were draping cloth now, in the bedrooms and she was again, drinking in all the finery in this room as well.

Satin Sur Amoura

*needs a martini*

• 3 weeks later...

ooc- LOL sorry for the wait on this hun, I didn't think my LOA would extend to rping but it did.

"Certainly Jaydena Sedai. I just don't want to bore you to sleep. I am an only child, with few relatives that live near enough to visit with. So, I spent time with my father, for the most part. my father is full of life. Ready to save the world and to help ever urchin he sees on the streets. We always give to the poor and provided Winternight festival in our Town Square. Father has live stock that he donates for the feasts. Its quite lovely to see the town come together for that." Jaydena nodded and laid a dropcloth over her gaidar's bed, smoothing the fine satin with her hand. This gaidar has a deep love for all things fine but she hide it deeply, it only showed in her rooms. Her clothing was basic and unadorned but her bedroom was full of fine fabric, intricate carvings, and so much more. She gazed around and then laid a drop cloth over the wardrobe as Satin continued, "He's been Barrister for 30... or well now, longer than that. It is what he loves. And nothing pleases me more than to know he has at least, some joy in his life. Aes Sedai, if I may ask?" Jade laid a drop cloth down on the desk and then turned to look at Satin, nodding her head for the girl to continue, "Will there be a time, after Accepted, that I may write to my father? Or have a visit with him?" She nodded and then spoke, "You will be part of the Tower and it is your new family but you can also write your old family. I think I waited to become involved with mine until I reached being an Aes Sedai, by then it has been many years but I still have contact with the great-great grandnieces and nephews of my brother and sister." She turned and laid another cloth over the washstand, pitcher, and bowl. "Really my child, you will find that the Tower will take up so much of your time and it will become your family in so many ways. There is no fufillment like what you achieve when you do good works for the Tower or for your Sisters. I can say honestly that I missed my family for some time but these days I think of them with affection and go to visit on occasion, but I don't miss them. Of course I am many years away from coming to the Tower." Jade laid a large drop cloth over the exposed parts of wood floor and rug and then backed out of the room. Turning to Satin she spoke, "I will go get some more drop clothes and paint. Why don't you go put drop clothes in the other two gaidin rooms." She walked from the room and made her way to the art room.

Once again she embraced the source and picked up a large stack of drop clothes, she grabbed several cans of paint in her hands and then began to walk into the other room. When she got there she saw Satin laying cloths over the last rooms furniture. She smiled at the girl and motioned for her to follow her into her own room. When they reached it she stared around the room, then began to lay drop clothes over her furniture. "So what do you think has been the hardest thing about being a Novice and what do you miss the most from your home my child?" With a smile she laid a cloth over the massive four poster bed with it's green satin bedding and rose carving in the deep wood....

Jaydena Mckanthur

The rooms were quite lovely yet, had a very "powerful" feel to them. Something she had never expected but should have, from a battle sister.

She listened as she moved around the room, dropping cloth, securing corners and fitting them to the furnishings as best she could.

Satin knew well the rules of Novice hood and kept to them as strict as a school teacher. But the information she needed would soon apply to her as the Aes Sedai, explain it more.

"You will be part of the Tower and it is your new family but you can also write your old family. I think I waited to become involved with mine until I reached being an Aes Sedai, by then it has been many years but I still have contact with the great-great grandnieces and nephews of my brother and sister." Satin felt an unsuspecting longing in imagining what she had said. Great, great... She would outlive her father of course, but she would also outlive her cousins and their children and so forth. It wasn't easy to wrap your mind around that just now.

Jaydena continued to describe the Tower and all who dwell within as a big family. People she would come to know, and think of them the same way. This was very foreign to Satin since, she only had room in her heart for her Father... Again she avoided thinking about her mother... she was growing tired of the sharp turn away from her, though.

"There is no fufillment like what you achieve when you do good works for the Tower or for your Sisters." Satin nodded at this sentence. She had already felt this satisfaction in her own personal growth. As far as not missing her family as time goes by, she would only have to take her word for it. Her Father was on her mind, daily.

Jaydena Sedai had a genuine smile. Something she always look for... something she measured people by and most failing her test. But not so for this Aes Sedai. She was relieved to see it as some Aes Sedai could barely muster a casual sniff, in her direction.

"So what do you think has been the hardest thing about being a Novice and what do you miss the most from your home my child?" Before she thought on it, it occurred to her that this was yet another bed that a man slept in. She knew that the Greens were famous for having many Warders, so her surprise was small. But the realization of it was amusing.

"My views might be somewhat different but, I didn't find it that difficult as I found it challenging. What I have learned so far is like a world away from what I have known. The value is immeasurable, the gift of it is amazing." Her eye widened a tad. "Though the cost of it all is... well, I suppose it fits the theme but still. Losing your family to it all is devastating in so many ways. All can be recovered, in time but for those very few, I believe it embitters them. Some who vie for the Reds may be suited for this much better than say, a Gray or maybe even a Blue or Yellow. They all care deeply about the world around them and the people in it."

She paused momentarily while she evaluated what she missed the most... she missed several things but what would be the one, other than Father? Ah, she knew.

"I miss the small moment with Nature and the lovely birds. I had several pet birds. All of the sang. My.... mother set them free when I wasn't around." She barely frowned as she tried to train herself not to do. "But most of them returned to me." Is was her first real, well practiced, "sniff."

Satin sur Amoura

casually chatting with a big wig

ooc: I am ready to paint, my dear. LOL

"My views might be somewhat different but, I didn't find it that difficult as I found it challenging. What I have learned so far is like a world away from what I have known. The value is immeasurable, the gift of it is amazing." Jaydena nodded and watched as Satin's eyes widened, while she laid a cloth over the massive wardrobe. "Though the cost of it all is... well, I suppose it fits the theme but still. Losing your family to it all is devastating in so many ways. All can be recovered, in time but for those very few, I believe it embitters them. Some who vie for the Reds may be suited for this much better than say, a Gray or maybe even a Blue or Yellow. They all care deeply about the world around them and the people in it." The girl paused and as she did Jaydena studied her and continued to lay cloths down where they needed to go. She gently drapped one over the washstand, the vanity, the carpets, and anything that needed to be covered. "I miss the small moment with Nature and the lovely birds. I had several pet birds. All of the sang. My.... mother set them free when I wasn't around. But most of them returned to me." The girl sniffed loudly and Jaydena had to try hard not to smile at her practice of something many Aes Sedai spent their time doing. She motioned to Satin and spoke, "My dear you will still have your chance to commune with the birds. There are many birds in the gardens here and in the grove. Once you become an Accepted you will have more free time and you will be able to get out of the Tower a bit more and spend some time there. You are very wise, for much of what you said it very true my child. Well shall we begin painting, I am going to run a few errands after I get you set up but I will be back soon." She smiled at the girl and then showed her the paint colors to use, the pale green with the dark trim, and then she spoke, "If you know anything about artwork you can paint roses along the floor side of the wall, if you don't than I will take care of it later." She nodded and headed out of the room so that Satin could begin to paint.

Jade headed down to her office and grabbed her coin purse, when she made sure she had enough money, she walked out the secret entrance of the Ajah Heads office and made her way down through the yard and out the front gate of the Tower. She nodded at the Tower Guards standing guard and walked into town, as she did she glanced around her. The Tower has awed her so much when she came here and she could imagine what that young girl painting her rooms has thought when she arrived here so recently, well recently in her life anyway. When you got as old as her, four or five years flew by like nothing. The town had grown quite a bit since she had come to it as a young and naive Novice but it still had the same amazing buildings and products. She headed towards the paint store and quickly picked up some more brushes made of boars hair and a couple more cans of paint to be sure. You just never knew how much you were going to need for sure. When she finished there she stopped to pick of the order of stationary she had ordered a few days ago and then stopped for one last thing before making her way into the Tower again. She snuck back into the secret entrance and made her way into her room, checking on Satin to make sure she was working...

Jaydena Mckanthur

Satin felt that Jaydena was much too kind to her. It was that or this Aes Sedai was much more pleasant in most aspects. She wondered how she would fight in real battle for just a moment and had an imaginary scene going in her head.

Jaydena caught her attention again, and with her departure for her errands, Satin curtsied to her back as the Green swiftly carried herself out the door and down the hall.

She stood there in the huge, empty apartment scanning the walls, all the covered things and thinking about what it was like to be Aes Sedai. It wasn't what she thought... from the beginning. Now, she knew much of what was ahead of her and looked forward to the processes. Satin picked up a few more canvases and spread them out over the floors. She could well imagine slip ups and how that might be dealt with.

The time went by, as Satin though about the Art that she had mentioned and wondered at it. Not even up to now, had she ever drawn much. She didn't want to disappoint the Aes Sedai but she could barely draw straight lines. She then wondered if she would be able to paint this room without mistakes!

The last canvas was being laid on the floor when the door handle rattled.

• 3 weeks later...

Jade opened the door and looked in to see Satin laying a canvas on the floor, the room was fully ready to begin being painted. She smiled at the Novice and spoke, "Looks good, let us begin my child." Jaydena reached for the cans of paint she brought in and opened them up. A pale mint green was the paint color she had chosen for the main living area. She pulled out the brushes, the wooden pan, and the rollers she had gotten from town. They were made of sheep's wool and spread the paint around nicely and evenly. Handing a roller she Satin she dumped paint into the wooden pan and ran her roller through it. She walked to the wall and began rolling the paint up and down smoothly, looking at Satin out of the corner of her eye who had followed suit after a slight hesitation. As her paint ran out she moved back to the pan and added more, following this pattern, they soon had the first wall done from floor to midpoint. She was going to have to go get a ladder to do the upper parts of the wall. Turning to Satin she spoke, "Go ahead and continue the same thing on the other wall over there, I will go get a ladder so I can paint the upper part of the walls. Satin nodded and curtsied and then continued painting.

She smiled at the Novices back and then walked out to summon an Accepted to get her a ladder. It took a few minutes but she found one to fetch it and then she headed back into the room to continue painting. Satin had moved part way across the second wall and was doing very well. Jade took her roller up again and began to paint the lower second of the second wall. They had nearly reached the end of the second wall when a knock sounded at the door. Satin looked up and Jade motioned for her to answer the door with her other hand. The Novice answered the door and took the ladder from the Accepted. She motioned for Satin to set it up next to the other wall and then walked over and embraced the source. Weaving fire and air lightly, she quickly dried the lower section of the wall. "Go ahead and climb up there and paint the upper half, just be careful." She handed the tray up to Satin and as the younger woman painted she dried the paint, she didn't want any of it dripping down onto the dry part....

Jaydena Mckanthur

The afternoon had just peaked and even though she was not yet hungry, she remembered that it was time to eat. She paused to listen to her stomach as the Aes Sedai had her answer the door. Before she reach the door she decided that she wasn't hungry in the slightest. She had hoped that this would the the biggest decision she would have to make today. If only...

When she painted, she felt a relaxing feeling come over her. It was mesmerizing as much as it was constant. She was careful but little did she know that the back splatter of the roller was increasingly spitting little dots of mint green paint into her face and on her head. Unaware of this she continued with ease. Soon she was lost again in the rythmic up and down strokes and the silence was always good. After all, she lives with so many that voices are always filling her head.

As she climbed the latter to paint the upper half of the tall wall, she looked towards Jaydena and asked, "Aes Sedai, would you like me to fetch you some lunch since its growing to mid meal?" She thought she would first have to finish this wall at the least. She drug her fingers over her face smearing the fine paint into what resembled, cat whiskers. She looked at Jaydena waiting for her response, not realizing her head and face were speckled with so much paint that she looked like a sickly, green cat ghost, with whiskers.

• 2 weeks later...

Satin climbed onto the ladder and after several minutes of painting she turned around and spoke, "Aes Sedai, would you like me to fetch you some lunch since its growing to mid meal?" Jade glanced up at her from where she was painting and laughed quickly as she shook her head. "I am sorry my child but you are covered in paint, it's all over your face and you look like my cat, you have whiskers on either cheek." She laughed some more and then spoke again, "I will go down to the kitchens and get us something to eat, go ahead and keep painting. I will be back in a few minutes." Jade nodded at the Novice and then walked from the room, her thoughts on what they were cooking in the kitchen. She walked through the Hallways quickly, reaching the kitchen and as soon as she got there sought out Mistress Laras. "Hello Mistress, I am looking for a good meal for myself and a Novice who is busy painting my rooms as we speak. Do you have anything I can take to my rooms for us." Mistress bowed her head, for she wasn't required to curtsy to all of the Aes Sedai, she would never get anything done if she did.

"I will get you some food and have one of the Novices in here bring it up." She winked and continued, "I will include some of your favorite brownies as well my dear Jaydena." Jade laughed, thanked the woman, and then nodded her head and walked back to her rooms. It didn't take her long to reach the rooms with her long legs and stride. When she got into the Green quarters she stopped to talk to a couple of her Sisters and then made her way to her rooms. Satin had finished that wall and was working on the next one. Jade embraced the Source and dried the wall quickly as Satin turned to look at her. The fact that the girl recognized that someone had channeled in the room with her was a good sign. "Satin, someone will be bringing a tray up soon, so let's see if we can get this last wall in this room done before they get her." Jade put the smock back on and then picked up a roller, beginning to paint the lower section of the last wall in her main living area. Slowly she moved the roller up and down and it wasn't long before she was finished and so was Satin. She smiled at the Novice, embraced the Source and then dried the wall. "Let's move the stuff into the guest rooms, and I will get the new paint color for that room."

She left her room and headed into the room they had gotten the paint cans from earlier, she picked up 5 small paint cans and then headed back to her rooms. They quickly cleaned the pale green from the paint brushes and rollers and moved all the items into the first room they would be painting. Just as they walked back into the room a knock sounded at her door. Jade headed to the door and opened it up, to reveal a Novice with a large basket in her arms. She smiled at the girl and took the basket from her with a quick thanks and a nod. Looking around her room she spoke to Satin, "Let's head out into the gardens to eat, as there is nothing to sit on in here. Go ahead and take your smock off and wash off." She waited as the girl washed off and then headed to the gardens with the young woman. They reached one of her favorite places with thick green grass, rose bushes, and stone benches. She laid out the blanket she had grabbed as they walked out and then sat down carefully on the blanket, setting the basket next to her. Satin gained a place on the blanket and Jade began to take things from the basket. A plate a large sandwiches with fresh baked break, cheese, vegetables, and meat. Sliced veggies in a cloth. A bowl of fresh peaches, blueberries, and strawberries. A thermos of tea with cups, some sliced chees, brownies, fresh cookies, and honeycakes completed the spread. Jade laid it all out, "As normal Mistress Laras has gone out of her way. Dig in my dear." Jade handed one of the plates, forks, and linen napkins to the girl and began to fill her own plate...

Jaydena Mckanthur

The wide eyed flash and smile of the Aes Sedai's face brought a moment fear to Satin and then she started to blush brilliantly. She never blushed! But today she would think on how never to do that again. He stoic and matter of fact, exterior was well, smashe and obliterated!

She climbed down the stairs carefully to go look into the mirror. Jaydena speaking to her about food and the kitchen and so forth but, Satin's mind was on the bad impression she was making to such an esteemed Aes Sedai.

Satin wetted a small rag cloth and began to wipe the thousands of green dots from her face. She looked like she has spotted fever. She turned to Jaydena at her last few words as she left the room, "Thank you Jaydena Sedai but if you wish...." She was gone out the door. Wow, this woman, when on a mission, was going to do it and that was that!

Satin finished wiping her face but the paint in her hair wasn't going to be so easy to come out. A lot of it has hardened already. A crease of worry wrinkled her left eye in a small squint. She felt it and quickly assumed the Aes Sedai calm exterior. She then berated herself, internally, for letting these new found emotions jump out like that. She never used to do it. Well... there is nothing like learning techinque. She would school her emotions and her expressions, of course. She would accomplish it as well.

Satin had finished the room in it's entirity, by the time Jaydena returned. There wasn't any food in her hands but just one small part of her hoped there would be. She knew most Aes Sedai would never retrieve food themselves. She was sure it was being prepared.

They moved to another room after cleaning up the brushes. The new paint was another shade of green and was quite soothing to look at. They began setting up the canvases on the floor and spreading them out as a knock came to the door.

The food was delievered as Satin could smell the aroma's floating into the room. Jaydena surprised her with an excursion to the Gardens to picnic their lunch. It would be nice to rid the smell of paint from her and get some fresh air. The followed the instructions of the Aes Sedai and removed her paint smudged smock and washed her hands.

This garden was a place she had not been. She had only ventured to one such garden on the estate just to pass time reading her lessons and listening to the birds. Roses dotted the garden and they smell far better than the paint. Its was cool in the shaded grass and the basket looked quite heavy, as Jaydena plopped it on the blanket that Jaydena had quickly layed out moments ago.

As far as Satin's assessment of this woman was going she felt that she was much like normal women in her city but with a lively and smoldering current of pride and fierceness, just below that calm and content exterior. So far her morning with her was uneventful and less aggrivating than the time she spend with other Aes Sedai. Though learning of the Ajah's was part of learning about the Tower life and such, she knew that the Battle Ajah was not quite the route for her, though interesting enough to want to know more about it.

"The day is moving quickly, Jaydena Sedai, wouldn't you agree? She took the plate and "dug in" as instructed. But she took very little, just a small piece of this and that. "I don't doubt my day would have been spend in the East garden listening to the sounds of birds singing. At least this day is constructive. And since I've never held a paint brush before today, I would say that I've learn something today... " She paused, taking a small bite of the rather large sandwitch.

• 3 weeks later...

"The day is moving quickly, Jaydena Sedai, wouldn't you agree?" She nodded her head one time and began to eat her food carefully. "I don't doubt my day would have been spend in the East garden listening to the sounds of birds singing. At least this day is constructive. And since I've never held a paint brush before today, I would say that I've learn something today... " She smiled and continued to eat before she said anything, "Well my child I can tell you that every thing that happens in the Tower, no matter how minor it is, shapes you for the person you are going to be when you reach Aes Sedaihood. I painted a room once when I was an Accepted and it helped me in many a way that I didn't know until I was much older." She smiled and started to eat one of the sandwiches as she looked around the garden. Within a few minutes they had finished their food and she began to gather it up, "As you said, the day is getting on and I want to at least get the gaidin's rooms done before we stop. I can always finish the rest by myself if need be." Setting the food back in the basket, she stood up and picked up the blanket. Satin had already gained her feet and was standing waiting for her.

Once she was finished cleaning up she checked the area and then began walking towards the Tower, with the basket over one of her arms, and the blanket over the other. "Well Satin, we have made progress and you are doing well, you have quite the dedication and you haven't complained once. I like to see that in Novices, for many of them have been quick to whine at the smallest task. I think that they have no idea how difficult it can be to be a Aes Sedai." Shaking her head at her own words she walked into the entrance to the Tower and they quickly made their way to her quarters. She set the basket down on the floor of her room and headed back into the room they were working on. Jade put the smock on and began to paint the wall as Satin stepped up next to her. With the two of them working together it didn't take long for them to finish that room and move on to the next. In just a few short hours they had finished all the room except for hers, and it wouldn't take her long the next day to either finish it herself or to find a Novice to come help her with it again.

She took her smock off and walked towards the other rooms with Satin behind her and spoke, "Please have a seat on one of the couches, we will be done here in just a moment. With a nod she walked towards her bedroom across the room from them. Once inside she made a beeline for her wardrobe, she reached inside and organized something before walking out of the room with it. She handed the package to the girl and spoke and said, "My dear friend of mine gave me one of these many years ago and I added some things to it." She watched as Satin opened it and revealed a wooden box made out of maple with a tear shape in the center, which was the sign of a Aes Sedai, she motioned the girl to open the box, upon opening the box, you could see, several drawers and two lids that flipped up in the middle. Satin opened the first drawer and inside we're seven glass bottles in different colors. Inside the colored bottles we're seven different colors of paint. Brown, Green, Red, Yellow, Gray, Blue, and White. At the end of the row was a clear bottle full of a solution. Jade saw the confusion on her face and waved for her to continue opening the drawers. She wouldn't understand until she opened all the drawers. The next drawer contained a small jar which had a tray on the inside made out of wood and a small brush inside the jar with fluid. Several small squares of fabric were also in this drawer and a brush that matched the one in the liquid but was larger. She closed the drawer and then went on to the third, in it was a velvet pouch, which contained three charms done in silver, one was a tear drop like on the box, the second was a serpent eating it's own tail, and the last one was a intial, the intail S. Jade kept one of each letter so that she always had the right letter for who ever she was giving a gift to. Jade was known to give gifts on a regular basis, after all giving was better than receiving any day.

She watched as the girl closed the door and looked up at her. Jade smiled and said, "Open the doors my child." Inside the doors were two more velvet pouchs. Jade watched as the girl took the first one and opening it, pulling out a pendant. It was shaped like the upside down teadrop and had a outline as though something was supposed to go on the inside of the ridge. The second pouch contained a long chain also in the sterling silver of the pendant. Jade smiled at the startled look on her face and then said, "I give things like this to those I feel have earned a gift. Hand me the box my child and I will explain it to you." Taking the box in her hand she closed it and said, "This box has been stained or veneered all over except for the AS sign as you can see. If you look at you necklace and the charm that match you will notice that they are the same design. The necklace is what my friend gave me so long." Jade reached into her neckline and pulled a necklace just like hers but with much wear, only Jade's was painted green. Jade watched the comprehension dawning on her face and continued, "The paints in the first drawer are what you can use the paint the box, the pendant, and the charm when you decide what Ajah you have chosen. The paint should stay good for at least fifteen years so don't worry about it drying out. Keep it sealed and it won't dry out. The clear bottle contains a varnish to put over the paint, so it will shine. The second drawer contains, jewelry cleaner, you can use it for these and then when you get your ring you can also clean that. The cloths and brushes are for cleaning also. You of course can't wear the charms unless your in your room, and the necklace will have to stay under your dress out of sight till you are raised." She smiled at Satin and watched the girls reaction, she thanked the girl for all her hard work, accepted her thanks and then sent her on her way to relax before her day tomorrow.

Jaydena Sedai

The lunch in the Gardens were a welcomed, relaxing time. If its possible to relax around an Aes Sedai at all. But Jaydena had made it extremely easy on her and soon, she was patting her lips with her napkin, chewing her food like the proper lady her father had insisted, she be. It was never easy to eat in front of someone and in a cafeteria, no one nit picked at the way you ate your food. Some young girls ate with their fingers... it was their upbringing and what was made important to them during their raising. Satin didn't have the carefree luxury. She was schooled every single day. She knew nothing else.

Jaydena had taken time with her and had showed her that not all Aes Sedai were scary, or intimidating or even meant to be either. Some were of course, meaning ever little savored moment of intimidation but, the company with her today, proved to Satin, that she was right. There had to be a few that were were more than helpful, outside the Grey's and Yellows that she had met.

After a while of lovely silence, Jaydena pointed out that learning was all about what Aes Sedai had to go through. That the Tower would teach you well, but that no matter how small... it was all purposeful and if you paid strict attention, it was for your own betterment.

The day was more than half over and they finished up the last two rooms that Jaydena required from her. She reserved the last room for yet, another Novice to learn from. She nearly smiled at the thought that yes, more than likely they would whine to a degree if not, internally as the Aes Sedai had mentioned.

The experience, getting to know this Aes Sedai was one of more pleasant ones. She felt a fondness for her almost immediately after the first room was painted. She was quite surprised to have the woman painting with her... as most Aes Sedai would have shoved the brush into your hand and made their way out of the room to let you do it, alone.

She removed her smock and turned around to see Jaydena come out of her bedroom, carrying a mediums sized box. She came to Satin and handed it to her. Satin almost didn't reach for it thinking... "this is for me?" She looked into the Aes Sedai's eyes and there was that same welcoming smile. She explained to her about the gift given to her when she was young. About the friend she had made doing nearly the same chores. About what was in the box.

She carefully lifted out, the pouches, the smaller boxes and opened cubby holes all containing items, to identify her chosen Ajah, on a beautiful pendant. The paint would last for a long time so she had no worries there. The gift was extraordinary and held a deep meaning for them. Today she made a great friend.

Her curtsy and thanks to her could never have equaled the prize that were held within that box. She was moved and yet held her composure for the most part.

She graciously accepted the gift, "Jaydena Sedai, this is not necessary I know, but your gift to me is a true sign of friendship... and will be cherished forever." She smiled at Jaydena, "I will keep it hidden within my Armour, and only use it the day I am raised." Again, a curtsy.

Before she turned to leave she said to Jaydena, "Your teachings are not wasted on me. I want you to know that. Today wasn't so much about labor but more about character. And I want you to know that this Novice sees in you, your greatness, loyalty, kindness and wisdom."

She gave a slight bow and closed the door behind her. When she got to her room she wept. A mother like her would have made her life so much more.... bearably.

Satin sur Amoura

Learning Life