DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Intro to Saidar (attn Nenen Kailadel)

Eqwina

Eqwina looked at the clock over her mantle again and sighed. The child still had 10 minutes to arrive, but since Corwin’s death her temper and impatience had grown tenfold.  In one way she could count herself lucky, she did not feel his death like most Sister’s would a Warder, but that was only because she’d released his bond before sending him off to die. In another way she felt it more keenly than even the bond would allow. She’d had two loves in her life and she’d driven both away.

Nevin she had loved in a time of innocence before she’d known anything of the world. Touching her fingers gently to the small gold chain around her neck she smiled sadly. It had been so many years ago that he died she could no longer really feel the pain; there was only a memory of sadness. Corwin, that wound was more recent, it had only days to heal. Quickly she wiped the tears away from her eyes, surprised at their presence. Before Corwin her heart had been too cold and too black for tears, and now without him she didn’t they would ever stop. Luckily any Sister who’d ever lost a Warder knew the pain that gripped you, so her tears would not be taken as a weakness. Not yet…

His weapons and armor hung in the corner of her room like a shrine to all that she’d lost. In her belt pouch she carried a small scrap of the shirt he’d been wearing when he died. It was unhealthy to carry such an obsession, but she could only hope that with time it would fade. Drying her eyes she walked over to her stand mirror and adjusted her skirts, making sure everything was at rights before the child arrived. The flush to her cheeks was gone and the tightness in her eyes faded to a stern look. By all outward appearances she was everything an Ajah Head should be.

A timid knock drew Eqwina to her door and she ushered the young woman in without a word. “Take a seat and introduce yourself so that we may begin.” She’d never liked teaching Novice’s and she had a feeling that this girl wouldn’t be the one to change that fact. 

Nenen Kailadel hurried, carrying a stack of parchment and paper as she walked into the Yellow Ajah Quarters.  Asking directions for Eqwina Sedai's room, she had been directed into one of the seemingly larger and spacious quarters of the Yellow Sister's rooms.  The Yellow Ajah, she had heard, was dedicated to healing, and Healing.  In her book, they were two different things.  She knew that in her life as Aes Sedai, there would be lives that she would take, especially from the Shadow.  She knew that someday, the Light would force her to repay for the lives that she had cut short.  So she would be considering the Yellow Ajah as a possible choice.

Knocking on the door, she entered with Eqwina Sedai ushering her in.  By her look and red eyes, she had been crying, and there was a slight tightness in her eyes.  Nenen immediately looked away.  Glancing around the room, she noticed that there was a collection of weapons and armor that surely did not belong to her, a Yellow.  It surely belonged to a Warder.  But where was the Warder?  She looked at Eqwina Sedai again, and the connection clicked in her eyes.

She did not say anything

"Take a seat and introduce yourself so that we may begin."  Eqwina Sedai said, just a touch tartly.  It seemed that Eqwina Sedai did not like to teach novices.  Nenen grumbled inwardly.  Sitting down, Nenen stood up again and curtsied to Eqwina Sedai.  "Good day Eqwina Sedai.  I am Nenen Kailadel."

The slight widening of the young woman’s eyes was enough to tell Eqwina that she’d noticed the tears and the armor. “Losing Warders is a sad fact of life girl. Bare that in mind if you ever start getting excited to bond.”

“Nenen, a unique name I will try and remember it. “ Leading her to the two chairs in front of her fireplace she motioned the child to take the smaller stool while she took her time arranging her skirts. “For this first part I want you to pay special attention to what I say. You will be asked to repeat it back and I do not allow a second chance on points that are missed.”

“Attend. The One Power is made up of two parts. Saidar which is channeled by women and Saidin which is channeled men. Where Saidar is a pure clean pool ready to do your bidding if you can only submit to its power; Saidin is a torrent of fire and ice that must be struggled with every waking moment.  But that torrent is not the reason men who channel always go mad, it is the taint of the Dark One that drives them to the brink of madness often before the wasting sickness can kill them. Since only men can touch that vile pool we will focus on Saidar.”

“With in Saidar there are 5 elements in which you can work. Earth, Fire, Wind or Air, Water, and Spirit. It is most common to find that women are strong in Air and Water and men in Fire in Earth, Spirit is shared equally. Why this is? Not even the scholars can say, needless to say it is a fact. While Saidar is much safer to channel it is not without its own pitfalls. It is possible to be seduced by its charms which can only lead to disaster in the end. It is possible to burn yourself or even kill yourself by drawing too much. That is why from this moment forward you will always be regulated and watched when you are using Saidar.”

“From this moment forward you will not so much as think of the Source without a Sister or an Accepted present. I do not intend you to burn yourself out before I have finished my lessons with you. Now, repeat back what I said and tell me one fact about Saidar that you knew before my talk.”

“For this first part I want you to pay special attention to what I say. You will be asked to repeat it back and I do not allow a second chance on points that are missed.”

“Attend. The One Power is made up of two parts. Saidar which is channeled by women and Saidin which is channeled men. Where Saidar is a pure clean pool ready to do your bidding if you can only submit to its power; Saidin is a torrent of fire and ice that must be struggled with every waking moment.  But that torrent is not the reason men who channel always go mad, it is the taint of the Dark One that drives them to the brink of madness often before the wasting sickness can kill them. Since only men can touch that vile pool we will focus on Saidar.”

“With in Saidar there are 5 elements in which you can work. Earth, Fire, Wind or Air, Water, and Spirit. It is most common to find that women are strong in Air and Water and men in Fire in Earth, Spirit is shared equally. Why this is? Not even the scholars can say, needless to say it is a fact. While Saidar is much safer to channel it is not without its own pitfalls. It is possible to be seduced by its charms which can only lead to disaster in the end. It is possible to burn yourself or even kill yourself by drawing too much. That is why from this moment forward you will always be regulated and watched when you are using Saidar.”

“From this moment forward you will not so much as think of the Source without a Sister or an Accepted present. I do not intend you to burn yourself out before I have finished my lessons with you. Now, repeat back what I said and tell me one fact about Saidar that you knew before my talk.”

The sudden deluge of information left Nenen stunned, then realizing what was happening, she tried to remember what was being said.  Without too much success.  She could only hope that she could touch on all the points, without revealling that she had made any mistakes.  But she had been given a briefing by Estean, her grandmother, and so the chance of making mistakes was not too large.

"The two halves of the One Power are known as Saidar, the female half, and Saidin, the male half.  To control Saidar is to surrender to it, while to control Saidin is to struggle against it from consuming you.  The reason why the males that channel go mad is because of the Taint of the Dark One on Saidin."

That was the first part.  Considering what she said, she could not find anything that was different from what Eqwina had said, except that it was just phrased differently.  Thinking on, she closed her eyes and recited on what she could take from memory.

"Air, Water, Spirit, Earth and Fire are the Five elements of Saidar.  Women are usually strong in Air and Water, while Men usually have the greater strength in Earth and Fire.  Strength in Spirit is shared equally among men and women."

"Drawing too much may lead to burning out of the One Power, and possibly death.  This is made possible by the fact that Saidar is addictive.  Thus, a Novice would not be allowed to channel the One Power without supervision from an Accepted or Aes Sedai."

Nenen finished quite out of breath.

"When will I learn to control Saidar?"

The question blurted out of her before she could stop it.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Eqwina sat up straight in her chair and arched a peremptory eyebrow at the young woman in front of her. “You will learn to control Saidar child when I deem you are ready. Part of learning to control the One Power is learning to surrender to it; since it is apparent you cannot even surrender to me I think it will be some time before we begin your touching of Saidar.”

“You may leave me for today. When you return tomorrow I expect you to have a one page report written for me detailing the importance of following rules. Especially where Saidar is concerned. I would also like words to convince me that you are responsible enough to be trusted with so great a Power. If the paper pleases me we can begin work on your first touch.” Standing she glided over to her door and opened it, motioning the child out.

OOC: Write the paper Eqwina describes (No need to make is a full page, but at least a paragraph), and RP coming back to present it to her. Then we can move on to your first touch  :)

(OOC: This will come in three posts.  Altogether will be considered one reply)

Nenen shrank back in her chair as Eqwina Sedai sat up straight and loomed over her.  Her arched eyebrow might as well have been a thunderhead.  “You will learn to control Saidar child when I deem you are ready. Part of learning to control the One Power is learning to surrender to it; since it is apparent you cannot even surrender to me I think it will be some time before we begin your touching of Saidar.”

Face red with humilation, Nenen looked down at her lap and listened quietly as Eqwina continued.  “You may leave me for today. When you return tomorrow I expect you to have a one page report written for me detailing the importance of following rules. Especially where Saidar is concerned. I would also like words to convince me that you are responsible enough to be trusted with so great a Power. If the paper pleases me we can begin work on your first touch.”

Nenen hurried out of the door as Eqwina pulled it open.  As the door closed firmly behind her back, she hurried on to the libary to begin her research.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Chastised

Nenen Kailadel sat in the Library, her table nearly buried by the number of books that were on it.  The table legs creaked ominously as she wrote down her essay that Eqwina Sedai required.  Only Wilemi among the Novices would be able to find so many books that were related to the dangers of the One Power.  She thought in exasperated amusement at the amount of books that she was reading.  She was a fighter, not a scholar.  But nevertheless, she potted on through her reading, and writing in flowing script.

The One Power consists of Two Halves, Saidar and Saidin.  In this essay, I will be writing about the dangers of wielding Saidar, and the results of crossing those danger lines.

The One Power is known to be an addictive source.  The One Power, when embraced, is said to fill the channeler with enhanced senses, like greater abilities in sight and hearing, as well as touch and smell.  The One Power is thus addictive.  Drawing on the One Power creates a desire for the channeler to draw more.  Drawing on more would cause the channeler to want to draw even more.  A vicious cycle.  This is not dangerous in itself.  What is dangerous in itself is the fact that drawing more than the channeler can handle will cause burning out, otherwise known as loss of the ability to channel, if not mental burnout, or maybe even death.

After losing the ability to channel, the channeler loses the will to live.  He or she will usually survive only a few years before dying.  Not because losing the ability shortens a person's natural lifespan, but because the channeler does not want to live, and sooner or later, this will result in death.  A rare few have been able to survive by filling up the loss of the One Power via marrying, or another way that will help them leave behind the pain of that loss.  Whether anything is great enough is another matter.

Thus, the rules the White Tower has implemented regarding Novices not being allowed to channel is to prevent them from accidentally burning out themselves due to lack of self control in their channeling.  However, this rule is in place for another reason.

In the beginning stage of learning to embrace the source, the channeler has little control over what she can do.  She may be able to think about stirring out a wind, but will have little control over the wind itself.  This rule is implemented to prevent the Novices from harming themselves while channeling, and also to help protect others who might get hurt as a result.  Thus the importance of following the rules that were implemented by the White Tower regarding the True Source.

The rule that states that Aes Sedai are not allowed to use the One Power as a weapon is not a rule.  It is beyond that.  It is an oath that cannot be broken.  Why is this so?  This rule/oath is important because this helps Aes Sedai to be trusted.  As it is, Aes Sedai are not trusted.  This rule was also implemented because although the One Power can be used in benevelont ways, the One Power can be also used destructively, as can be seen in the usage of Balefire in the War of Power.

The One Power itself was used as a weapon in the Time of Madness, the breaking.  The male channeler's rampant usage of the Power heaves mountains from trenches in Oceans, spilled water into hills and valleys, created destructive weather patterns, causing volcanoes to explode, and generally causing remnants of civilization to fall into chaos, and this Oath was sparked from the fruits of the Time of Madness.

Nenen studied what she had written with some satisfaction of having done a good piece of work.  Hopefully Eqwina Sedai would be able to accept this piece of work, and she woud allow her to start learning to channel.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Satisfied

Eqwina’s eyes scanned the paper she’d been handed and set it aside. Folding her hands in her lap she studied the girl, intensity burning in her eyes.

“Fine, I am convinced that you will accept my rules, but bear in mind the punishment if you disobey. Take a seat.” She was not one hundred percent convinced that the child would not break her rules, but the longer she spent punishing the child the longer she would have to spend with her. In her mind it was far better to keep the lesson moving.

“Since you are ready to surrender we can begin. Close your eyes child, and clear your mind of all thoughts. Take a deep breath in…and let it out. Again, deep breath in and out. Feel your muscles relax from the top of your head down to your toes. Now….Focus on a rose bud, a deep crimson rose bud. See its every petal, feel the softness of it and the slight damp feeling of the morning due. “ Her voice was quiet and calm, almost hypnotic as she described the rose in every detail. “Just out of sight is the sun, warm and bright. Feel the warmth of the sun beating down on your singular rose. Slowly see the petals start to open, reaching to catch the sun’s rays. Ever so slowly it extends outward, flowering to its fullest.”

OOC: Describe what she is feeling and how it feels when Saidar is finally open to her. It will not happen on the first try, so have them go through the exercise several times.

Nenen Kailadel jumped backwards as Eqwina Sedai's eyes burned with intensity, scrutinizing her face as if doubtful if she could comply and was trying to find every reason not to let her start.  Finally, she folded her arms and nodded.  Nenen just managed to not let out a sigh of relief as Eqwina spoke.  “Fine, I am convinced that you will accept my rules, but bear in mind the punishment if you disobey. Take a seat.”

Nenen nodded and curtsied, then sat down quickly and folded her arms, trying to assume what she hoped was a composed expression.  "Since you are ready to surrender we can begin. Close your eyes child, and clear your mind of all thoughts. Take a deep breath in…and let it out. Again, deep breath in and out. Feel your muscles relax from the top of your head down to your toes. Now….Focus on a rose bud, a deep crimson rose bud. See its every petal, feel the softness of it and the slight damp feeling of the morning dew."

Nenen closed her eyes and did as she was bid, trying hard to imagine herself as a rosebud.  Red as blood, and as lush and beautiful as was required for a garden.  She imagined herself bending to the will, flexible yet resilant.

“Just out of sight is the sun, warm and bright. Feel the warmth of the sun beating down on your singular rose. Slowly see the petals start to open, reaching to catch the sun’s rays. Ever so slowly it extends outward, flowering to its fullest.”

Nenen's eyes opened, but the petal was still in front of her eyes.  She imagined the sun's rays shining above her.  But somehow, the sun's rays did not seem to be touching her.  They seemed to compose of everything except of her.  She heard an answering call within her, and tried to stretch out to it.  She was not concious that sweat was trickling down her face as she tried again and again to reach it, to touch it, to hold it.

In the end, she begin to surrender to fate...

And suddenly, the sunlight was filling her to the brim.  She opened her eyes, and felt the wonder of it as the Power filled her.  No wonder Wilemi had said that it was addictive.  No wonder Nesyer had mentioned that it was very hard to let go of the source once it was touched.  It was pure estacy.

The connection then wavered and broke, and she was once again sitting in the real world, which seemed much duller now in comparison to previously.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Estactic

“Good, Nenen, good, now close your eyes and we will begin again.” She could almost feel the frustration flowing from her. “Calm now.”

Again Eqwina walked her through the exercises, describing the rose and the sun making her feel it. She did that until she could see the glow around Nenen then she began the next part. “Good” her voice was soft and gentle, a quality Eqwina scarcely processed. “Bask in the rays of the sun, do not strain or pull, just feel the sun beating down on you.”

Once she was sure the girl’s connection would hold she began to speak of the clouds. “Imagine a single cloud and see it drift across the sky, see it as it slowly starts to block the sun. Now push the cloud away from your sun, slowly,slowly…not too fast, the snapping back can hurt.” Suddenly the power winked out and Eqwina sighed. Reaching out she wove a delving on the girl and found only a headache. Soothing away the hurt she started again.

They went over it again and again until she could do it, without the pain. “Do you understand how important what I’ve just shown you is? You will always be tempted to hold onto the Source, just to touch it, to feel the sweetness of life. It is a powerful and often painful addiction, and if you have to fight that addiction you cannot surrender to the Power. Struggles such as this can kill you, or worse burn the ability to channel out of you.”

OOC: Talk about any struggles you have with this.

“Good, Nenen, good, now close your eyes and we will begin again.  Calm now.”  said Eqwina Sedai.  Nenen nearly raised her eyebrows in shock.  Then remembering where she was and who she was about to raise her eyebrows at, managed to control herself.  But she was not sure that her eyebrows didn't twitch at all.  Eqwina Sedai tilted her head, as though whether to consider sending her off to bed without bread or water.

Nenen then calmed herself down and imagined herself being the rose again.  However, Saidar did not come when called again.  Struggling, she tried to reach out to the glow, but it was as if when she was about to reach it, there was nothing there.  She tried again, and again, and again.  But to no avail.  Then, sighing, she surrendered to fate and...

The One Power flowed back into her.  “Good!”  Eqwina Sedai said, “bask in the rays of the sun, do not strain or pull, just feel the sun beating down on you.”

More like the sun shining down, and giving life.  Thought Nenen.  But she continued, and this time, the connection held.  It wavered slightly, but still held to her.

“Imagine a single cloud and see it drift across the sky, see it as it slowly starts to block the sun. Now push the cloud away from your sun, slowly,slowly…not too fast, the snapping back can hurt.”

Nenen imagined a cloud blocking the rays of the sun, and tried shoving it between the sun and her.  But the rays of the sun were to great, the flow of the Power too strong for her to cut off properly.  She imagined the cloud across the sun.  Then, the One Power in her flickered as the cloud was suddenly blocking the sun, yet not.  Then, the cloud firmed, and the One Power winked out her her so suddenly that her head felt as though someone had just hit her on the head with a club.

Suddenly, there were hands on her temples, and a faint chill rushed down her body, coupled with shudders of shock.  This, Nenen realized, slightly tiredly, must be what it would be like when being Healed.

Then, they tried again and again.  Nenen tried again and again to push the source from her, making it dwindle gradually and slowly.  It was difficult, but she managed to get the hang of it after a few tries.  Then, when Nenen had got it completely, Eqwina Sedai halted the session, and stared right into her face.

“Do you understand how important what I’ve just shown you is? You will always be tempted to hold onto the Source, just to touch it, to feel the sweetness of life. It is a powerful and often painful addiction, and if you have to fight that addiction you cannot surrender to the Power. Struggles such as this can kill you, or worse burn the ability to channel out of you.”

Nenen nodded, unsure of what else to do, and what they were going to do next.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Unsure

• 2 weeks later...

It seemed strange that all the child’s eagerness was gone in just the span of a day, but Eqwina pressed on. “To control Saidar you must be able to identify the weaves you are working with.” Weaving delicately she formed a loose ball of Saidar with one strand of each element. It appeared to be a colorful skein of yarn, but so loosely wound a wind could break it apart.

“Point out each element and tell me what it is, and what you know of it.”

OOC: The colors are Brown/Bronze, Red, Blue, White, and Pale “clear” blue. RP her pointing out each element and speaking a little of what she knows about it. Eqwina will pull each thread straight as it is pointed to.

Eqwina pressed on. “To control Saidar you must be able to identify the weaves you are working with.” Weaving delicately she formed a loose ball of Saidar with one strand of each element. It appeared to be a colorful skein of yarn, but so loosely wound a wind could break it apart.  Nenen saw five colours in the weaving that she guessed must each represent each of the Five elements.

Each thread was also giving off an emanation, which might be describing its personality.  Her attention was drawn first to the green thread.  This thread gave off a feeling which reminded her of the rivers flowing, it seemed to hold power that would and could wash away anything that stood in its path.  "The green thread is Water."  she said, looking up at Eqwina Sedai, who nodded.

Turning her attention to threads of other colours, she spotted one which was tinged red.  She studied it as hard as she could.  This thread seemed to be giving off heat.  All the time.  Unleashed, it could burn everything it touched.  Given power, it would.  But she was attracted to it somehow.  She knew that she herself would be able to control this particular thread.  However she knew, she did not know.  It was just a bone deep certainty that she could.  "The red thread is Fire."

Eqwina Sedai nodded appraisingly.  "Very good!"

Concentrating her attention onto another weave with a different feel, she saw that this one was a pale brown.  It gave her a passive impression, whereby she felt that it would not move no matter how hard she pressed.  Like stone.  "This one's Earth."  she said.  Eqwina Sedai nodded serenly.

There were only two elements, and thus only two more types of threads to sort out.  The one her eyes fell on first was pure white, with no tinge of colour at all.  At first thought it seemed to be Air.  However, she felt no emanations.  It just sat there serene.  This did not corraborate to what she had deduced so far.  "This thread is all calm and still.  It is Spirit?"  she said, half questioningly.  Eqwina Sedai nodded.  "Why yes it is.  You're doing very well so far.  I think you can guess what the last one is."

"Air."  Nenen said without thinking.  Looking at the last type of thread, she saw that it was a light blue, like that of the sky.  It felt loose, floaty.  But it also gave her the sensation that it was powerful in its own way.  She closed her eyes, and she almost felt the winds stirring in the room.

"Excellent.  Now that you know the elements and the colours of the thread that represent them, I am going to ask you to point out the elements in each different weave."

And the weave before Nenen's eyes disappated.  And was replaced by a new one.  It contained large amounts of green, some blue, and white.  But there was little of brown and red.  "There is Water, Air, Spirit, and some traces of Earth and Fire here and there."  she said, pointing to the respective threads.

And they did this over and over again.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Amazed

Eqwina leaned back in her chair, struggling not to sigh. It had been a long day and she didn’t have the strength to go on. Sending Nenen away she saw to the rest of her work before collapsing into bed. While holding Saidar for so long could be tiring it wasn’t the One Power that had Eqwina exhausted. It was tolerating this girl day after day cooped up in her apartments; spacious as they were.

The next day she left her rooms early leaving a note telling the Novice to meet her in the gardens at their appointed class time. It was a beautiful day in Tar Valon, and perhaps the girl would be more tolerable out in nature. Grudgingly she admitted to herself that no matter who the novice was she would hate her; Eqwina was just not the mentoring type.

Only a few minutes late Eqwina let it pass since she had not informed her about the change. “Today you will finally begin to learn to form weaves. We will start simply at first. Again  I have rules for you that I trust you will follow?” One eyebrow raised as if to question her, but when Nenen nodded Eqwina went on. “One, you will watch carefully and follow my instructions, and two you will never and I mean NEVER under any circumstances try to pick apart your weave. You will allow them to dissipate only; trying to pick them apart could kill or still everyone around you, yourself included.”

“While we work today I want you to try and see if you can see the glow around me as I hold the source. You see, eventually you will see the halo around any woman who is channeling, but for now it will take some concentration.”

Once she was sure the child understood Eqwina pulled out a small handkerchief from her belt pouch and walked over to dunk it in the bubbling fountain. She could have done it easier with the power, but she wanted to start the child simply. With a simple weave of water she rung all the moisture out of the cloth, then let it flutter down to rest in the water again. This time she sat in on the side of the fountain and waited for Nenen to sit down with her. “I will demonstrate again and then I want you to try” Soon the child was completely that weave with some semblance of ease so Eqwina moved on to creating water, which only added one more element. Finally they ended their day with lifting objects with the power. She chose a few small leaves from a nearby tree. Floating them across the garden to land lightly on her hand she demonstrated this weave several times before she allowed the child to try.

OCC:  RP yourself learning the various weaves as well as spotting the glow around Eqwina. You may have her work with you on that if you wish. At the end of your RP make a list of the weaves and which elements and all their requirements.

http://www.aliciawilkerson.com/whitetower/

• 4 weeks later...

Nenen sat down as per request and waited for Eqwina to teach, with a serene expression on her face.  Eqwina Sedai was not a nice Sister, but neither was she outright unpleasant.  It was just a thing about teaching, Nenen supposed, that tired Eqwina.  She had some slight circles under her eyes, and they betrayed some weariness about her.  As she watched Eqwina weaving, she divided her attention between memorizing the weaves and trying to see the glow around Eqwina.  First Eqwina dumped a cloth into water and then used a weave of pure water to drain out or the water.

When it was time for her to try, she embraced the source readily, and was shocked when she found that she wove Water with a semblance of ease.  Wilemi had described weaving Water as nothing less than torturous.  Wilemi said that she had weakness in water, and earth.  Nenen had not understood the difference then, but now she did, after doing some small semblance of research in the library.

Draining the cloth easily, she then proceeded to creating water right out the air.  Water dripped down from the end of the weave to into the fountain, faster and faster until a literal stream of water was running down from the converging points to the fountains.  Smiling in pleasure, she then to Eqwina Sedai, who nodded approvingly.

Then Eqwina went on to demonstrate how to use Air, lifting up several leaves at once, holding them and causing them to float up onto her hand.  It was then that Nenen spotted the glow around Eqwina.  Shocked, she gasped.  Eqwina looked up, irritated at first, then became pleased when Nenen explained that she had seen the glow around her.

When Nenen was allowed to try, Nenen tried to weave Air, and found to her dismay that it was much more difficult than Water.  So this was what it was like to weave something you were weak in.  She had to literally push the threads to wrap themselves around the leaves, and then tug hard mentally to force them to move towards her.  Sighing, she tried again, this time making them hover and hang in the air.  At least she did not have to make them move so much...

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Disappointed.

Eqwina was able to muster a smile for her young student when she explained about seeing the glow. Whenever it happened with a new student she was always reminded of the first time it had been clear to her eyes. She had been practicing with Nyssa and suddenly she had been surrounded by the most beautiful glow.

“I know it has been a long day and you are tired, but let us try another.” Embracing Saidar Eqwina wove fire and air just so and a glowing ball of light was suspended in the air in front of her. “Can you repeat that? If not I will show you again.”

Feeble as the light was the girl was able to make one appear. After few seconds it winked out, but another reappeared. “Good, now watch carefully.” She explained the process of passing the shining sphere’s of light back and forth and then demonstrated juggling a few herself. “Now, let’s try.” Eqwina started slowly at first, and then increased the speed in small increments.

Nenen frowned as she watched Eqwina weave flows of Air and Fire that were much thicker, and seemingly more real than her paltry flows of Air.  After observing Eqwina make the ball of light twice, Nenen embraced the source again, with some slight difficulty as she was tired this time, and attempted to weave the flows of Air and Fire.  The difficulty of Air she was prepared for, but as she attempted to weave Fire, she found to her dismay that it was not much better.

Frowning at the threads that had moved into place, a ball of light winked into being, small and pale, very dim.  Embracing as much of the source as she could, she pushed as much power as she could through both the threads.  But it did not do much good.  The balls of light did grow in size somewhat, and they did become brighter, but not by much.

Then, Nenen maintained the weave while watching Eqwina show her how to pass balls of light from one person to another.  Starting slowly, Nenen and Eqwina passed balls back and forth, at increments, increasing the pace so as to increase the difficulty.

When she was so tired that she felt that she could do no more, Eqwina sent her off from the lesson, telling her to get some rest before the next lesson.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five

Exhausted

• 3 weeks later...

Eqwina had a smile on her face as she set off to be Nenen for what would be, there last lesson. At first she had some small hope that the girl would conform to her special way of thinking, but she’d seen no signs of it so far. Still, it would bear watching just to be sure. She didn’t like to let any woman who may be persuaded to join the yellows slip away. After all, no other Ajah had such an important purpose.

They met in the Yellow Ajah gardens, in the very spot where Eqwina had begun to ‘re-earn’ her shawl…and her self-respect. Sitting on a blanket on the ground she meditated while she waited on her young student.

When Nenen arrived, on time, Eqwina began their lesson right away. “Today we will be talking about Earth. Do not feel bad if this is a hard day for you. All of us have strengths in certain areas and weaknesses in others”

Embracing Saidar she wove a simple weave of Air to scoop up some earth and with another simple weave suddenly a small bowl formed. It was inherently simple, but in an element in which women are weaker it would take time.

“ I will perform the weave again, then I want you to try.”

• 2 months later...

“Today we will be talking about Earth. Do not feel bad if this is a hard day for you. All of us have strengths in certain areas and weaknesses in others”

Nenen nodded, then looked at the what Eqwina Sedai was doing.  Tendrils of Air scooped up soil and dirt from the ground, the bottom, and a lump of dirt was formed.  But Eqwina wasn't done.  She wove a simple weave of Earth, into something shaped like a bowl, and presto, the lump of dirt became a bowl, hardened and packed into a claylike substance.

Impressed, she watched as Eqwina demonstrated again, this time to do something like a small sword of Earth.  With a smile, Nenen eagerly awaited for Eqwina's permission to start weaving, when she did, Nenen embraced the source almost immediately.

To her surprise, weaving Earth did not seem to pose much of a difficulty to her.  She found in relatively easy, considering what Eqwina said about Earth being one of the male elements, and thus usually harder for a woman.  She found it almost as easy to work with as Water.  Scooping up a small amount of dirt, she wove with all her might and her skill with a determination she had rarely used before, and the small ball of dirt morphed into stone.

It then became a dish, maybed with a few cracks here and there, but satisfactory all the same, considering the difficulty involved and that this was her first time attempting it.  She tried again and again until sweat drenched her dress with effort and she had managed finally to make the perfect plate.

Then she was dismissed.

Nenen Kailadel

Fighter of the Five