DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Beware!!Another Trakelyn!!(attn Kura)

Eqwina

Mathis knelt on the ground deep within the woods, toying with his reins. From where he sat he could just barely see the dreaded Black Tower. It did not look so fearsome from his vantage point, but then not much was distinguishable but a few large buildings and ant sized people. 2 hours he had sat in this exact spot, studying the road ahead and trying to make a decision. He thought back to his brief reunion with his sister.

Once the jubilation and tears had passed Thera had been all business once again. Encouraging him to find his own way, wrapped around hints of him joining the yards. ‘He was a bit old to train, but for her own flesh and blood she would make an exception’. For three days her words had told him to be his own man, while her eyes screamed at him to stay. Thera had never been one to admit weakness, and she had never gotten around to asking him outright. If she had…..well his whole life he’d never been able to deny her anything and even after years apart it was no different. His respect and love for her had only grown tenfold.

Seeing her walk with that deadly grace had come as something of a shock and only made him feel ganglier with his sword. Luckily she’d never found out how poorly his skill had developed; that would have been a shame he couldn’t bear.

Closing his eyes to hide the future he saw her smiling face and heard that last words she’d said to him. “Where ever life leads you brother, whatever duties you take on, never forget to take time to live.” It had seemed philosopher talk at the time, but Mathis began to feel as if he understood. As lush and easy as his life was in the Queen’s Guard he’d never been happy, not truly happy…he’d never once really felt alive. Sighing and squinting back at the Black Tower his shifted his stance just slightly as his legs started to fall asleep. Fiddling with his reins and straightening his coat he got one foot in the stirrup this time before his backed away. “No courage! I am an embarrassment to my family name.” Wind looked at him and tried to nuzzle his hand, but Mathis backed away from that as well. “No Wind, your master does not deserve your pity.”

This time when his foot hit the stirrup Mathis booted the animal before he had time to think. Unfortunately, his brain choose that moment to kick in and he stopped before he reached his destination. “I am a lover not a fighter!” He said firmly, pounding his fist into his hand for punctuation. It was true, his whole family saw him that way. He was a gambler and rouge, never without a smile and hardly serious and yet now at 28 he began to feel the pull of duty. The whole world seemed to be in a state of change and Mathis couldn’t shake the feeling that he should change with it. Brushing his curls from his face again he climbed down from his horse and leaned back against a tree. His head fell back and he groaned, only after he’d made the noise did he stop to think of how close he’d come.

Skill with weapons graced the rest of his family, and while he’d gotten the short end of the stick in that field he could track with the best of them. Part of tracking had always been staying out of sight, and never before had he been caught. Opening his eyes he inched back slowly, hoping he hadn’t been seen from the walls. Once he was sure no one was coming for him he sat back under the tree to contemplate change. 

Asha'man Sereth Arian sat atop the wall, contemplating the mysteries of life. The sky... so blue. I wonder why? It doesn't look sad, at least not right now. So why the color of sadness and despair? Perhaps it is more the creators sadness, than the world it self's? Maybe he and the Dark One were close before... His thoughts continued in this direction, simply enjoying the ability and time to think. He had been quite busy training raw recruits lately, and that did cut into his private time. So he had to use every bit of it with his favorite thing to do; ramble nonsense in his head until something interesting game along to pick apart.

Even this however, was interrupted.  As a man atop a horse appeared to be riding for the gate. Like everything else even slightly out of the ordinary, this immediately drew his gaze. More so when the man appeared to turn back. A reluctant one, hmm? I wonder why he is coming here? Does he know he can channel? Or maybe he doesn't even know if he can channel at all. Putting on his signature, sideways grin Sereth prepared himself to go out and satisfy his never ending curiosity.

Of course, at that moment, he was gripped with terrible uncertainty. How was he to reach the man? There were horses available, though truth be told he had never been a gifted rider. He could walk, of course, but that might startle the man into getting away. Well, if I am going to startle him... A chuckle escaped his lips as he seized the molten, taint covered chill that was Saidin. Weaving pure spirit, a gateway twisted and cut through the very fabric of the pattern, and Sereth stepped through.

Not ten paces from where Mathis stood.

"Please don't run, I am Asha'man Sereth Arian, philosopher and historian. I saw you from the wall, and was wondering what the Black Tower could do for you?" His voice was light, friendly. Still, the Andorian supposed he had to be. It wasn't everyday men stepped through holes in the air to make introductions.

Well, at least not anywhere but the Farm.

A strange sound accompanied by a rustle of fallen leaves was the only warning Mathis was given. Leaping to his feet he had a dagger in his hand in a flash and was prepared to mount Wind if the man so much as blinked. 

"Please don't run, I am Asha'man Sereth Arian, philosopher and historian. I saw you from the wall, and was wondering what the Black Tower could do for you?"

He certainly didn’t look like a monster, but then neither had those that had arrived in Four Kings. Slipping his knife back up his sleeve he assumed the relaxed slouch that had become his trade mark. Many older women around the palace had told him it made him look insolent. It was hard to combine a look of fear with insolence. “I wasn’t going to run, I was going to slit your throat.”

Fool! This man can channel and here I am spouting off! His heart was beating in his ears, and he had a death grip on his reins. Taking a deep breath he tried to imagine his sister Thera and how she would handle this situation. She would have already had his head, that or had him walking the straight and narrow and seeing things her wayClearing his throat and tugging his coat to rights he tried to start again. “I was going to slit your throat if you intended me harm.  As for the Black Tower..well. ..I am not rightly sure what I intended.” He unfolded his story of how he’d come to leave Caemlyn, even mention Tari, the girl he left behind. He told about the gambling and the night the Black Tower men came. He even dared to mention his Sister and his trip here. “So you can see, that I mean what I say. I do not know if I can channel or if I want to, I just felt a tugging at me..to go out and find my own life and…here I am.”

Having delivered the most serious speak of his life, Mathis ran his hands through his hair with a sheepish grin. “So tell me, do all women run and scream at the sight of Black coats? Or are there are few who are attracted to the Power?”

Sereth had solid bands of air woven around Mathis as he moved, but he made sure to keep them in a wide ring. No need to threaten the man unnecessarily.

As mathis continued, detailing that he had nearly slit the asha'man's throat, Sereth's chest expanded slightly in a chuckle. He is a brave one, or perhaps foolish. Perhaps both? Oh, those are always the most troublesome, if fun. Then he exercised his second best skill, and he listened. He was relived to find that the man did not have the crippling tale of how he grew up in the streets, and this was his way out.

In fact, this was quite the opposite. This was a man trying to make something with his life, when he had comfort. Sereth found himself admiring that in the former Queen's Guardsmen. "Its not much of a life here; I find myself having to go out to search for books nearly every day. Though I somehow doubt that is quite as much a concern for you as it is me." He chuckled, continuing "But if you are looking for something with meaning, you have come to the right place. Each man you meet in there, has come to fight for the Light. To battle with the greatest weapon we have ever known, to defeat an enemy who wants nothing more than to destroy reality. If that sounds attractive, then I can test you for the ability to channel, but if you have any hesitation. Mount, and be gone, for once I test you, there is no turning back."

His voice had grown somber during his monolouge, but the chipper tone he was known for returned at his fellow Andorian's next question. "And yes, there are in fact women who love a strong man, many Asha'man have wives with them, others, mistresses." He laughed again to himself, and waited on the man's next move, releasing the weave of air. He somehow doubted he'd need it.

It was true; Mathis would be far more interested in the women than he would be the books. Though he’d been known to crack one every now and again; he even had one in his saddle bags now. With one hand still tightly gripped on Wind’s reins the other was free to fidget. It ran through his hair, tugged on his coat and picked imaginary lint off his coat.  Anything to keep from having to make this decision.

Since he’d started this conversation with unbridled honesty, he felt it would be best to end it that way. “ I can’t say that I ever had grand dreams of fighting for the Light. Had that been my goal I would have worked a little harder in the Queen’s guards. The truth is I want to be my own man and break away from my family’s legacy. I didn’t get the skill with a sword that my brothers and sister did, but I was expected to be a fighter anyway.  Maybe..maybe I don’t want to be a warrior, but then again it’s the only life I know.”

Dropping Wind’s reins he paced back and forth mumbling to himself. “I don’t suppose I could have a drink and then decide?” Shaking his head he didn’t stop his steady circuit.

“Well, Light blind me for a fool..I’ll do it. I can’t stand here all day and pace not even knowing if I can learn?”

“After I know, then can I have a drink? We can share the flask in my saddle bags.”

Sereth nodded, again listening to the man speak. His grin was eternal, but it grew sombre as he began to speak. "There will be plenty of time for drink afterwards, hell, there is an inn that is free of charge for our use. As you can imagine, it is the social hub of the tower." Letting out a quick laugh, Sereth ran his fingers through his own hair. A nervous habit that he was afraid made him quite easy to read. "Lets begin then."

Sereth held up his hand, palm up. "I will channel a small flame above my palm. All I want you to do, is focus on it. Focus with every bit of will you have, and wait. If you have the ability to channel, I will feel a sort of echo of the power within you. I won't however, be able to tell you how strong you are. That is a gift that only women have."

With that, he drew on Saidin, air and spirit in equal amounts, with fire threaded through it. The result was as promised, a small blazing ball of fire. It was gentle, yet still alive, crackling even without fuel. Sereth's eyes watched the man, focusing on him even as Mathis concentrated on the ball of fire. He was measuring his potential for dedication, seeing how he would waver when put to any sort of test. Even though he was beyond the point of no return; if he could channel there was no going back, Sereth still wanted to know what kind of man he had invited into the tower.

Then he felt it. A distant echo of what he felt when another man grappled with Saidin. Closing his fist, and letting the fire die, his grin widened. "Well, break out that flash, and welcome to the Black Tower."

• 3 weeks later...

Scrubbing his fingers against his palms Mathis tossed his curls from his face and squared his shoulders. It was a stance he took when he knew he was about to have his bum handed to him on a platter. Most often it had been his sister who had done the handing.

Blinking he stared at the small flame, desperately he wanted to back away, to turn and run back to Caemlyn and beg his brother for his job. Several long minutes passed before he could clear his mind of all other thoughts and focus only on the flame. The world could have rushed by and the season’s changed for all Mathis would have noticed. His world was consumed by the fire..it was the fire… and as quick as that it was gone. Blinking away the spots in front of his eyes her tossed his hair again and shifted his stance.

"Well, break out that flask, and welcome to the Black Tower."

His knees buckled and he would have hit the ground had the other man not held out his arm. “You mean…I can?” He coughed and cleared his throat. “I can ch-channel. I never thought I mean I had hoped, I think…” Dipping into his saddle bags he pulled out his flask and took a long pull. Light help him! Why hadn’t he just been happy with his life in the Guards? Tari would have made a fine wife….in a few more years

Passing the flask off he gathered Wind’s reins in his hand and looked expectantly towards the walls. “So what now? I am sure there are formalities but I would like more to drink and maybe a girl or two.” Girl’s always worked to calm his nerves.

• 2 weeks later...

Sereth watched the man closely, recording every emotion he went through, nodding to himself with a bemused smile. "Yes, yes you can channel." Sereth took a sip himself; he had the feeling he might be teaching today after all, and it wasn't good for the teacher to be intoxicated. "Formalities? Hah, you'll learn that we have very few of those. Just follow one simple rule. The more decorated a man's coat is, the more respect you show. Speaking of which-" Sereth seized Saidin, the battle for survival as he rode those putrid currents of ice and fire second nature by now, and wove a gateway. "Let's get you one, then I'll show you the inn, deal?"

He didn't wait for an answer, and he dearly hoped the man realized that he had purposely made it large enough for him to lead his horse through, but not ride. "Watch the edges, they'd cut through your sword like it was butter." The gateway lead them near the center of the farm; specifically the tailor's house. As a courtesy, he weaved earth to raise a post to hobble the horse at, and stepped inside.

He gave an aged man a nod of his head, turning his neck to include the black coated man with a sword pin as well. Sereth grabbed a long, black silk coat off of a long row of them, and tossed it at Mathis. "Try it on, we'll get your exact measurements later, and three full uniforms will be made for you. Till then, I promised you a drink."

Sereth knew all of this must be happening a bit to quickly for the Andorian to register, but he also knew that he would have to get used to being pushed hard. Very hard. He heard it took 30 years in the white tower to do accomplish what was usually done here within a year... Of course their mortality rate was much better than it's ebon counter part. He set a medium pace for the inn. "Alright, now I know you have some questions."

Mathis ran his hands through is curls and licked his lips staring at the gateway as it rotated open. His callus free fingers tensed around Wind’s rein’s and released slowly tangling and untangling themselves as he followed Sereth through. When the warning came across about the sides cutting worse than any knife Mathis stepped quicker and was even more careful to keep his arms to himself.

Never in his life had he felt awkward in his body, except when holding a sword, but watching that mound of earth rise from the ground he stumbled over his own feet, tangled his legs in his sword and almost landed flat on his face. All of this without saying a word or making a sound, but it wasn’t shame that made him silent, it was fear.

Swallowing hard he shrugged into the black coat, startled to find that the cut felt familiar, and carried none of the ominous feelings he felt about it. "Alright, now I know you have some questions."

Running his hands through his hair and swallowing again Mathis didn’t say a word; he only shook his head and fumbled for another drink. He was startled to find his flask empty, and tucked it into the pocket of his new coat. His new BLACK coat. Rubbing the arms and lapels of the coat he tried to form a conscious thought.  “How do we train? What do we do? What do we stand for? Do we walk in the Light? Where will I live? Do..I..” The flood gates had opened and the thousand questions in his mind popped out before he could stop and realize how idiotic and frightened he sounded.

Sereth didn't break pace as Mathis sputtered out question after question. Wow... first time that one actually worked! Inside he was chuckling, but he decided to keep only his grin for now. No sense in humiliating the man, was there? Well, at least in public. They were approaching the inn, and upon entering the doors, he rose his hand for a drink, throwing in an extra gesture for 'new blood' and quickly a bottle of strong whiskey and two glasses came flying to him. Sereth was busy opening the bottle and pouring a glass while he searched for a seat.

Managing both at the same time, he handed Mathis the drink while sitting. He took the brief moment to launch a counter attack. "We train by practicing, I'll be teaching you how to seize the source, and wield it. Also, swordplay is usually mandatory, but no one expects you to be a blademaster. As for what we do? We train, we live, and we wait until we're called. We stand for one purpose, at least as a body. That being weapons for the Lord Dragon Reborn, Lord of the Morning, and various other titles." He raised his eyebrow, "And that of course means we walk in the light. Please don't doubt that, it could lead to some unneeded complications. As for living arrangements?"

He took the moment to pour himself a drink, and took a sip. He nearly winced as the fire curled its way into his belly. Sereth had never developed a tolerance for alcohol... "The usual answer is throw you in the barracks, but I could talk to some of the higher ups, maybe station you in my personal home. If you are not opposed to the idea?" The offer was for a simple reason; the man was scared, and he looked as if he would need some extra help adjusting to the his new life style. The personal liking Sereth had taken to him was just a bonus. "Also, I promise to get to your other questions in a moment... For now, just enjoy this." He raised the bottle and refilled Mathis' glass...

Throwing back the entire glass that was poured for him, Mathis held out his cup for another. It had all happened so fast he could hardly tell his head from his feet; a few more glasses of whiskey and perhaps the distinction would become clearer. Downing the next glass the same as the first he finally settled into sipping the third. It wasn’t his fear that made the decision it was his belly, it wasn’t used to such a burn all at once.

“You know, I left home because  I wanted to be my own man and step out of my family’s shadow, but I never expected that the road would lead me here.” Brining one leg up to his chest he balanced the full glass on his knee and turned it slowly between his fingers; staring intently into the dark liquid. It seemed that the booze was starting to take effect. His clear blue eyes started to turn glassy and a raucous grin spread across his face. “I guess I will be the one casting the Shadow now.” Laughing, not short of hysterically he tangled his free hand in his hair. “I suppose someday soon this will all become common place? You certainly don’t seem to think that Asha’man are anything special.  I think…No, I would like to take you up on the offer of a room. I always enjoyed having a roommate back in Guards…. except of course when Tari and I wanted to be alone.”  Losing enough of his fear for just a moment, Mathis winked knowing at his new friend and downed another half a drink.

Sereth nodded, listening to Mathis’ speak. “I doubt we’ll ever be something considered normal, think, I bet you still remember nearly ever Aes Sedai you’ve ever met? Perhaps we don’t equal their prestige, but we are their counterpart. You are casting your own shadow from this point on.” The Asha’man chuckled as his companion continued. “I’ll be sure to let you have my guest room, we can work on refurnishing it after you have trained a bit. “

With that, he stood, offering his shoulder out in case the whiskey had spread to Mathis’ legs. Sereth briefly considering walking the six miles to his establishment, but something about walking home with a drunken man didn’t truly appeal to the scholar. As such, he retrieved the hobbled horse, and opened a gateway to the outside of his humble home; he didn’t want to figure out how to get the horse out of the traveling room.

It was a simple place, freshly painted in black, the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai burned into the wood of his door. Double story, with a small stable, mostly for guests as he owned no horse himself, and out in the middle of no where. “Hope you don’t mind… The main of the Farm is about six miles to the east. I rather enjoy the solitude. Should give your horse a chance to stress its legs.” He chuckled to himself, hobbling the horse outside to show his new housemate around.

The first thing anyone would see, were books laying on every available surface, shelves nearly bursting with the volumes he had collected. Large, leather bound tomes, wood covered parchment, and even pamphlets. He read religiously, using his gateways to travel the known world in search of knowledge. The slightly dusted tomes where of history, and some books on philosophy, those laying open on his stand of tactics and battles. “I apologize for the mess; I usually meet people out side.” He chuckled nervously, itching the back of his head. “I have a guest room upstairs, first door to the left. That at least, is pristine. If I ever got guests I wanted them to be at home.”

Sereth waited then, giving him a chance to adjust to his new surroundings.