DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Memory of Light, or Dance with Dragons?

erickm001

Finished Storm of Swords today.

I think I still like both series equally.

Still no update on George Martin's site about Dance with Dragons.

The Barnes & Noble pre-order, that is actually a CD; still the same release date.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Storm of Swords was the best one so far, but they are all good. To me, that is one difference, in that I do not like each of Jordan's books that well (although there is at least one event or storyline in each book that I enjoy), whereas Martin seems pretty consistent. I clipped right along through each of his books. I feel that I also have to say, that regardless of whether or not Martin actually gets ADwD out this year or not, RJ is really pushing him, especially considering he's deceased. When a dead author gets his book to the publisher ahead of your own, you know there's something wrong. Get with it, Martin, I don't care what Neil Gaiman said.  :P

• 5 months later...

Finished Feast for Crows; took me roughly 16 days for me to finish.  (Started it on November 8, finished it November 24)

Part of George Martin's 'delay' might be the other books he was working on.

3 books available for pre-order at Barnes & Noble:

-Busted Flush of Wild Cards series (release date 12/1/2009)

-Suicide Kings (release date 12/22/2009)

-Warriors (release date 3/16/2010)

Had not checked the number of books published since Feast for Crows.

Didn't read every post in the thread so this may have been said already. I really like SoIaF. I like both of these series equally,however...

Poor RJ had a horrible disease, passed away and then they got a new author AND got a new book out in almost the exact same amount of time a healthy author cannot even get the next installment of his series out! (AFFC and KoD cam out in 2005 I think). I understand the creative process and that Mr. Martin must be under considerable pressure or a MAJOR block, but I'm just about to give up on that whole thing. If I took 4 years to put out the next project at work, they'd fire my ass! I just don't see Wild Cards and all that other crap as popular enough to spend so much time on. Just my 2 cents, but he's really getting on my nerves with the delays...

Well, Martin isn't spending that much time on them. He's an editor on the Wild Cards books (and he can be forgiven for wishing to spend time on the series that made him). He wrote an ASoIaF story for Warriors. From what I can gather, his other projects are not a significant drain on time he would otherwise spend on ADWD. The reason it's taking so long to write it is that he's having difficulty writing it, so progress is slow. There's really nothing that can be done about it other than be patient.

Archived