DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

John Henry Faulks' Christmas Story

Auld Manriva

I posted this at The Bands Offsite and was going to do the same on our boards here. BUT... This is something I think Twinnie in particular would love. Also, it's very possible I've spoken to her about it a good while ago too... So The Kin is it's rightful home here on DM if ya'll will allow.

A little Christmas Spirit for you all.

Back when I was a long haul truck driver I listened to National Public Radio quite a lot. One year while on the road during the Christmas Holiday I heard this story on NPR's Morning Edition or All Things Considered. Can't recall which, but I've not forgotten it since, nor does it affect me any differently whenever I hear it.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5028755  (Select the Listen Now Button)

I'm a sentimental git and about half way through I was blubberin' like a Dad whose daughter just went off to her first dance....

Not only was I on the road away from family and friends, but I think it was maybe because it reminded me of my parents and grandparents. My people are small farmers and carpenters from Tennessee on my fathers side and Alabama coal miners and papermill and factory workers on my mothers. My dad was about the age of the lad in the story during the great depression and my mom was about the baby's age. My Dad lived in a hollow near a town so small it' never had a traffic light until the late sixties. My mom grew up here in Mobile... In a tent for a time. I on the other hand never wanted as a child. No more than any other military brat at any rate and Mom taught me all people are the same, some just try harder.

The accent you hear Mr. Faulk give the boy to speak with is a country dialect still heard all over the deep south, with some variations.  Some call it a "cracker" accent. But its still widely heard to this day. Unlike some of the other Southern Regional accents which are being lost through exposure to electronic media.

John Henry Faulk was an author and humorist from Austin, Texas. If you can't quite understand what Mr. Faulk is saying you can read the text at the NPR site. You can learn a little more of John Henry Faulk here. He was a pretty interesting character. Anyone the late Molly Ivins admired is OK in my book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Faulk

Archived