DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An Even "Stranger" Occurrence {Attn Christine, Arath, and Tai}

Aria Airn

He listened intently while Tai poured out his story.  Some of it he had heard before, but none of the parts about the girl.  Strangely, the whole story seemed rather familiar.  There were differences in details, but the overall theme paralleled parts of his own life.

When Tai asked permission to channel the mud from his clothing Arath thought for a moment, then consented.  He seemed past the danger point now, though he would have to keep a close watch on him now to make sure that the lapse of control didn't happen again.  While Tai cleaned himself up, Arath took his turn to speak.  "Judging by how hysterical she was when you took off without a word, I think her feelings about you are pretty clear.  She wasn't barely coherent when I left."  Well, she had been calming down already, but a little white lie couldn't hurt. 

"As for what's going to happen ... who can say?  That depends on what you decide.  Being a weapon for the Dragon and loving someone are not mutually exclusive things.  Dozens of Asha'man have families living here.  Light, you ran right past most of them on your way here.  The question is, can you forgive her for leaving you?  And can she accept you for ... what you are now?  I get the feeling that she doesn't know what goes on here, other than some sort of military training."

"Either way you have to make a choice.  Cower in your muddy clearing, or go back and face her."  Arath smirked.  "Me?  I would get back there as quickly as I could, before Michelle finished off whatever good impression's Aria might still have."

Tai sighed when Arath gave him permission to channel. Weaving Air, Water, and Fire he cleaned and dried his clothes. Weaving a thin flow of Fire he warmed himself and held it. Slowly the shivering lessened.

"Judging by how hysterical she was when you took off without a word, I think her feelings about you are pretty clear.  She was barely coherent when I left." Light, but she made his thoughts a jumble! Tai had heard once that the Creator made women to trouble man. Right about now he believed it. He allowed himself a moment to imagine a family with Aria but he tears threatened again.

"As for what's going to happen ... who can say?  That depends on what you decide.  Being a weapon for the Dragon and loving someone are not mutually exclusive things.  Dozens of Asha'man have families living here.  Light, you ran right past most of them on your way here.  The question is, can you forgive her for leaving you?  And can she accept you for ... what you are now?  I get the feeling that she doesn't know what goes on here, other than some sort of military training."

Those words sunk in and Chaos howled with dark laughter. She didn't know? Of course she didn't. She must not have been here long for him to just have seen her. But if what Arath said were true...

"Either way you have to make a choice.  Cower in your muddy clearing, or go back and face her." Arath smirked. "Me?  I would get back there as quickly as I could, before Michelle finished off whatever good impression's Aria might still have." Tai's grin twisted in distaste.

"Don't know why she hates me so much." he mumbled. Arath was right, He had better get back and have a long talk with Aria. Looking at the man his eyes were pleading. "Give me a minute alone? Gotta prepare myself." Arath wove a gateway and Tai stood. "Hey Arath?" he asked. Arath halted without turning around. "thanks for, for everything."

As Aria sat down before the food, Michelle could see the tears ready to spill.  Light, what was this woman, a wet rag being squeezed dry?  A groan came from the woman's lips, and Michelle stepped back, half insulted.  No one said no to her food, even when life was bad!  But the look in the woman's face as she looked up was enough to make even Michelle feel bad, and she sank into the chair beside Aria.

"Michelle, I am sorry I lied. You must understand, I was in a strange place around strange people. I did not know who I could trust." Michelle nodded, understanding.  When she had first arrived in Caemlyn, she was simply Michelle and nothing else.  Well, at least Aria had found a place that wouldn't hurt her... Well, they would, but it was her own Light-Blasted fault if she got in the way of the men.

"Why are men so impossible?" Aria asked, which made Michelle want to laugh.  If men were not impossible, then what would women have to do all day except watch men serve them?  It had to be fun at first, but dealing with men was half the fun!

"What do you see in the big oaf anyway?"  He was such an idiot.  Honestly, even if Michelle knew nothing else, she kenw that this big dumb woolhead had left behind a woman that seemed to love him more than anything.  Other men had brought along their significant others, so why hadn't Tai done the same?

"He is very kind," Aria said, laughing.  Tai, kind?  He had tried to kill her! "I don't think he could hurt a fly. One time there was this old man in the street and-  Why don't you like him michelle?"

As the question came to Michelle, she had to laugh a little.  This was hilarious.  This woman honestly though that Tai was so sweet and innocent.  Clearly, she had no idea what was going on at the Black Tower.  How could she explain without telling her what Tai could do... LIGHT BLASTED ARATH!  Making her not able to tell the truth on this one!

Rising from the chair, Michelle grabbed a rag and wet it in the large bucket by the door with fresh water.  Coming back to the table, Aria repeated the question as Michelle dabbed at her eyes.  Sighing, she responded.  "Look.  There is some things here that you don't realise.  Do you know why he left?  Or what goes on here?  All I can say is this... Tai tried to kill me.  Granted, it was another part of him, but he could easily kill me, you, and everyone on this farm if he tried."

The look on Aria's face was enough to kill, and Michelle pulled up a week smile.  "Look, he is still somewhat of the man that he left as, but there is new pieces to him that... well..."  She stumbled over her words, unable to answer.  Michelle could then hear muttering and boots coming from Arath's office and she knew he had travelled back in.  What was he thinking, coming back to the room, knowing that Aria would ask questions?!?!?!

Aria looked upset, Arath was going to walk in the room, and Michelle didn't know what else to say, so she blurted it out.  "Aria, Tai can channel."

Michelle

"Look.  There is some things here that you don't realize.  Do you know why he left?  Or what goes on here?  All I can say is this... Tai tried to kill me.  Granted, it was another part of him, but he could easily kill me, you, and everyone on this farm if he tried."

Aria started to grin at the woman, but her words froze her face as she went on. Why he left? What goes on? "Tried to kill you?" She said disbelievingly. Aria could not believe the words she was hearing. Tai? Kill everyone here? Aria's face hardened and her eyes glittered with anger, Tai may have changed, but this woman had no right to say such things, she did not know him like she did. He could never-

"Look, he is still somewhat of the man that he left as, but there is new pieces to him that... well..." Aria stood and backed away a bit. New pieces? What under the Light was she talking about?! Suddenly Aria felt very uneasy. Aria vaguely registered boots somewhere in the house and what sounded like Arath's voice. When did he come in? Michelle glanced in that direction and started dry-washing her hands nervously. She glanced back and forth at Aria and the sound of Arath's boots. "Aria, Tai can channel." She blurted out in a rush.

"He can what?" She asked incredulously.

All color drained from her face and she felt like she was going to sick up. Michelle asked her something but it sounded muffled as if through thick fog. Thoughts spun through her head so fast she could hardly think straight. Tai had told her once that he thought the idea of channeling was intriguing. No one really knew why he had left so suddenly. He had all but disappeared. The farm, all the men in black coats...It all came crashing home. Stories told as a child warned about men that could channel. Destined for a twisted, rotten, murderous end. Aria put a hand to her head weakly, she felt like she was going to faint. She needed fresh air, she needed to leave. Her breath came in quick shallow gasps, she could not get enough air. looking around wildly she could almost see the sickness of the men closing in on her. She had to get outside! Bolting for the back door there in the kitchen, she fumbled at the door handle. In her panic she couldn't get the door open. A low whimper, almost a moan started in her throat unnoticed. Giving up on the door she fled towards the front door, face frozen in terror. Light her heart felt like it was going to burst! Ignoring the pain, she flew out of the kitchen and- collided straight into Arath's chest. She shrieked, an ear-splitting scream as she bounced off the man. Light, she was going to die!

Arath paused momentarily when he caught the wonderful smell drifting through the house.  Sniffing his way curiously toward the kitchen, he was caught unaware when Aria bounced off of him.  And he was most unprepared for the horrified shriek that she gave when she realized who she'd hit.  What in the light was she on about?  She was acting as though he was the most terrifying thing in the ...

Comprehension dawned on him, and he threw an exasperated glare at Michelle who winced slightly, a guilty expression on her face.  Fifteen minutes ... she couldn't keep it quiet for fifteen minutes ...  Rolling his eyes he tried to figure out how to fix the situation.  What could he possibly do to calm the situation down?

Aria had broken down into sobs now, the screams having died down.  Maybe she was just out of breath.  Arath approached her very slowly, arms outspread and hopefully non threatening.  "I'm sorry you had to find out like that.  I thought it would have been better if Tai told you.  Believe me though, it doesn't change anything.  He's still the same person you knew before.  He's just ... discovered a new skill."

Aria continued sobbing as Arath spread his arms wide and started walking towards her. Panic welled up inside even higher. He was trying to cut off her escape! His tone was soft however, and his eyes were filled with compassion.

"I'm sorry you had to find out like that.  I thought it would have been better if Tai told you.  Believe me though, it doesn't change anything.  He's still the same person you knew before.  He's just ... discovered a new skill."

Panic clawed at her with razor sharp talons. Her eyes darted side to side, looking for a way out. Any way out. His hands were blocking the straightest path to the door. She still felt like she was going to sick up but his words rolled around in her head. He's just ... discovered a new skill." The sobs had stopped but her breath was still coming in short gasps.

"T-to c-channel," She began. Light the stories! She swallowed hard. Pain filled her eyes as she looked at him, was he mad? Were they all mad? Her skin crawled and she made a supreme effort not to shudder and give way to panic. "What do I do now?" She asked weakly. She hadn't given up on escape, but maybe words may buy her some time.

Tai watched as Arath stepped through the gateway. He caught a brief glimpse of the traveling room in Faringal Manor before it winked out behind the man. Tai sighed and scrubbed his hand through his hair. This was a bloody mess. Arath was right though. His words echoed in Tai's head.

The question is, can you forgive her for leaving you?  And can she accept you for ... what you are now? That really was the heart of it. As always, Arath showed wisdom for his age.

Tai thought about it for a moment. He was sure that he could forgive her, he still loved her. It would take time and he wanted to know why she left, but he thought that was possible. Her understanding what he had come to grips with however...that was another matter entirely. Most people, like him, had been taught growing up that a man who channeled was deadly and tainted by the shadow. A wild and dangerous creature to be feared. How would she take it, knowing that the man that she loved could channel?

~She does not love you. Her abandoning you should have shown you that. You are a wool-brained fool if you think otherwise.~ Chaos muttered sourly. ~Tripping yourself over a pretty face.~ He scoffed. Tai shoved him back to the corner of his mind roughly. After that little episode with Chaos taking control, Tai was more frightened of him than ever before.

Seizing Saidin, Tai rode the icy avalanche of liquid fire that told him he was alive. The taint slid through him like an oily shadow, but the filth was welcome just to feel the sweet life of the One Power. He simply held it for a moment before weaving a gateway to the traveling room. Arath would be gone by now which would mean that it was safe to gate in. Apprehension skittered outside the void like colors on a soap bubble. He stepped through the gateway and let it wink out behind him. This was going to be interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Aria looked at her in shock for a moment, and Michelle clapped her hands over her mouth.  Oh Light, she hadn’t just said that, had she?  Oh Light Oh Light Arath was going to kill her… 

“He can what?"

This was not good.  Aria looked as though she was going to pass out and Michelle walked towards her, ready to catch her if she did so.  Aria rushed past her and went to the back door, fumbling with it.  Oh Light, where did the blasted woman think she could run?  They were completely surrounded by channeling men.  Aria gave up on that door and ran straight into… Arath.  Oh Light, could it get any worse?  Aria’s scream was the most piercing cry Michelle had ever heard and she winced, knowing this was her fault.

Arath glared at her, and Michelle felt her lowest.  Arath tried to walk towards her, to comfort the poor girl that was now practically passed out as is.  "I'm sorry you had to find out like that.  I thought it would have been better if Tai told you.  Believe me though, it doesn't change anything.  He's still the same person you knew before.  He's just ... discovered a new skill.”

If the situation wasn’t so bad, Michelle would have laughed.  He didn’t have to lie to the girl. "T-to c-channel.”   Yep, she was going to knock herself out if she didn’t breathe properly.  This whole situation was going to end up badly, she just knew it.  Light, who let her on the Farm anyways without telling her what was going on here? 

"What do I do now?" 

Arath looked helpless at the moment, looking at Michelle and then Aria.  Alright, this time she wouldn’t screw up keeping Aria calm.  Going around the counter to where Aria was shrinking away, she pulled Arath back from her.  Before the girl could dart out, Michelle walked up to her and slapped her.  The girl gasped and Michelle did it again. “Breathe.”  She could feel Arath almost ready to channel and she decided a third slap would do nothing.

Taking Aria in her arms, she pulled her to her in a hug.  “Look, nothing you can do now.  But you have found this guy you were looking for.  He is what he is, but so are you.  Would you expect him to just forget you or stand beside you if you could up and channel one day?”  Ok, bad example, but Aria seemed to be calming down some. 

Grabbing the earlier cloth off the counter, she patted Aria’s eyes with it.  “Alright now.  You already stayed one day surrounded by channeling men without being hurt.  You can last another, I am sure.  Let’s dry those eyes and smile for when Tai walks in…”

Michelle

Michelle stepped up and pulled Arath out of the way. The path to the door was clear! Panic surged again and her muscles tensed to run. Before she could move however, Michelle stepped in front of her. Oh Light! Before she could say a word, her head rung and stars danced across her vision. A gasp left her lips as she realized what Michelle had done. How dare she- her head rung again and white hot anger burned through fog of panic slightly. Her eyes glittered and she was about to give this woman what for when she spoke.

“Breathe.” Realization filtered through slowly as the woman pulled her into an embrace. She was trying to calm her down. “Look, nothing you can do now.  But you have found this guy you were looking for.  He is what he is, but so are you.  Would you expect him to just forget you or stand beside you if you could up and channel one day?” Aria grimaced inside at that.

Thoughts spun through her head at dizzying speeds. Michelle seemed ok with Arath channeling but...Michelle patted her eyes with the cloth from earlier, it was cool and it helped.

“Alright now.  You already stayed one day surrounded by channeling men without being hurt.  You can last another, I am sure.  Let’s dry those eyes and smile for when Tai walks in…" Finally Michelle's logic was sinking in. She had a point, she had been around them without any harm for the last how long? She glanced sidelong at Arath. He was ok, and he could channel. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Tai was still Tai after all, he truly had not changed that much. Sighing in resignation, she nodded. Fear still roiled in her gut but she kept it under control.

"Thank you Michelle. You are right," She paused a grin touching her lips. "But if you ever slap me like that again without my freaking out..." Aria surprised herself by chuckling at the thought. She smiled at the woman warmly to let her know she wasn't try to threaten her, and then Tai walked in. Her tentative grip on her emotions crumbled. Thank the Light the fear was not what surged at the sight of him. She thanked the Light it was not fear that dissolved her to tears at the sight of him. Through her tears she saw anger and confusion flash across Tai's face and Arath barked the word "Release!" Aria looked at Arath confused, but apparently whatever that had meant got the desired reaction because Arath nodded and looked at Tai sympathetically. She really was stuck in the middle of madmen! Aria decided she needed some fresh air and excused herself saying so, smiling weakly at Tai. Light help her but if he kept acting so distant she was not sure her heart would not break.

Tai stepped through the gateway and into the Traveling Room of Faringal Manor. Something smelled good and tickled his nose but he ignored it at the sound of voices in the kitchen. Walking toward the sound of voices he was met by the sight of Aria, red-eyed and upset. As he strode into the room he saw the hand mark on her cheek and Michelle standing next to her. He knew Arath wouldn't have struck her and in an instant he had seized Saidin, Rage flashing outside the Void. Before he could even think of channeling, Arath had prepared a shield and barked at him to release. Confusion danced along the edge of the Void but Tai had been trained well and he trusted Arath. Half due to trust and half instinct he released the Source but held the Void. He did not trust his emotions at this point. If this was not anything other than what it seemed...he pushed that thought aside and stamped out Chaos before he could even give voice. Arath nodded at him, his eyes said he knew what he was going through and wished he could help.

Aria pushed past Michelle murmuring softly about needing some fresh air and smiled at him weakly. He kept his face neutral even though it hurt. Michelle looked as if she was going to go after her but thought better of it and stopped, folding her arms for all the world as if this were all his fault and glared at him! Arath scrubbed his hand through his hair and looked as if he wanted to be anywhere but here once the door shut behind Aria.

"Will someone please tell me what in the name of the Light is going on here?!" Tai asked, his voice oddly emotionless inside the Void.

• 1 month later...

Arath took Michelle by the shoulders and started guiding her out of the room.  "It's been let known what goes on here.  She ... didn't take it well and needed to be calmed down."  Arath flicked his eyes toward Michelle, letting Tai know just who had been 'explaining' things.  "But now that you're here you can take over.  I assume you'd rather be alone while you ... catch up?"

With that he steered Michelle toward the door to the living room.  He would have rather gone upstairs, but he figured that it was best to stay close at hand should the need arise.

• 1 month later...

Aria closed the door behind her and hugged herself, she was shaking like a leaf! Light! Her teeth wanted to chatter! She loved the man, a man who could channel. Now it was a matter of finding out if he still loved her as well. Gazing out over the place she suddenly felt very alone, Arath and Michelle had both been very kind, but still she felt alone.

Her back to the wall of the Manor she sunk to the ground still holding herself. She had left, that was true. But she never had stopped loving him. Would he see that? Millions of questions ran through her mind and tears started fresh trails, softly down her cheeks.

Just then she heard the door open and someone walk out of the house. Hastily dashing tears from her eyes she stood, brushing  the dirt from her skirts. When she looked up her hear leaped into her throat again.

The sight of Tai standing there threw her into a tangle again. Joy surged at the sight of him, and tears threatened anew at this hard face. Biting her lower lip slightly she waited for him to speak, she thought it better that way.

"It's been let known what goes on here.  She ... didn't take it well and needed to be calmed down."

Tai stamped down the rage he felt at Michelle not only striking Aria but telling her about him channeling. She had completely gutted the issue and left him to clean up the entrails he thought roughly.

"But now that you're here you can take over.  I assume you'd rather be alone while you ... catch up?"

Tai stopped glaring at Michelle and sighed, running a hand through his hair. Arath was right, he needed to talk to Aria. He was just not sure what he would say. Quietly he stared at the door for a while before opening it. He would die in the service of the Dragon. He may go horribly insane and destroy her simply for loving him. His heart felt like it might burst and tears threatened again. Duty was heavier than a mountain. Slowly he opened the door and walked out the back of the manor. Glancing around he did not see her at first, and thought that perhaps she had left. Then he heard a soft sound to his right and turned to see Aria brushing dirt from her clothing. Tears rimmed her eyes but did not fall as she bit her lower lip. He hardened his face and floated in the Void.

"Aria. It has been a long time since we have seen each other. The last time I saw you, you were leaving me without sufficient explanation. I was a boy then and am such no longer."

She opened her mouth but he steeled himself and continued before she could speak.

"I love you. I always have and I think I always will. My life has been given to the Dragon Reborn, to the Light and to Tar'mon Gaidon. I can channel Saidin, and with it the Shadow's Taint. It has affected my mind already. I have lost control once and eventually, should I live long enough, the Taint will rot my body. Most likely I will go horribly mad and destroy those around me unless I am put down like a rabid dog. Because of these things there cannot be a future between us that will end in anything but sorrow and death." He knew his words were harsh, the onslaught of his words continued as tears spilled down her face, but he could not help himself. Suddenly stars burst in his vision as her full armed slap almost unhinged his jaw.

You have no right! she half sobbed. Her eyes pleaded through her tears while seeming to bore into him. You cannot tell me where to go or what to do. I love you and I am not going anywhere! I left  you once and I will not do it again. You may choose to tell me we cannot be together but I have been invited to stay here and do so I will. You cannot choose where I live or who I associate with and I like it well enough here!" Her eyes dared him to tell her she could not stay and the set of her jaw said she would slap him again should he suggest it.

So she was going to stay close to him regardless of what he had said? He thought for a moment while rubbing his jaw. Light she had an arm!

"I cannot tell you what to do anymore than I could back in Mayne." He assented quietly and her eyes softened. "I do not want you harmed, but I cannot bear to put you in danger. Live here if you must. I cannot say it will not be pleasant having you around." With that he turned and walked through the door to the manor, leaving her staring after him, alone with her thoughts.