DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Career ~ Talyn ~

Seiaman

ooc: I'm jumping this ahead a bit in the time of Sirayn being recently raised to the Amrylin Seat. Any objections or concerns, feel free to PM me.

ic: Seiaman sat in the large leather lounge chair, a leg over one arm as she leaned against the other. The fire crackled and danced, sending the shadows of the room to every corner and back. She held a dagger in one hand, twirling it as the tip of the dagger pressed against her fingertip. Blood was slowly dripping onto her thigh. The rooms below were silent save for the creaks of the floorboards from Coraman's late arrival in the night. It wouldn't take much to burn this place down, to give my life to the fire. But Seiaman didn't want to end her life. She wanted more. She wanted vengence against the White Tower for everything it stood for; for every heavy burden that they placed on Sirayn's shoulders. But how? Spreading rumors and discord would not do - that was something anyone really could do and it would only serve to harm whatever her Master truly wanted. But she wanted to do more. Seiaman yearned to do more.

She let out a growl and twirled the dagger, stabbing it deeply into the head of the leather chair. She rose up from her chair and started to pace the length of the room. Somehow - she had to strike at the White Tower at its weakest spots without being so obvious about it. They deserved to suffer for raising Sirayn to the Amyrlin Seat - for making her Love to bear the burdens that they could not do it themselves. Seiaman stopped before the window and looked up at the White Tower, the full moon made its walls brighter than it actually was. "One of these days, you all will burn."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

She walked through the kitchen, carrying a large platter of clean glasses. Coraman was still upstairs, the child had a late night but Seiaman had no idea what she did. It was the end of the lunch hour and the tavern was empty save for herself. Brandy had went out to find an Altaran root that was rumored to have arrived by one of her elusive cousin traders. Brandy had said that the man wanted to sell them at top-notch prices for more profit instead of selling it at a low price for a relative. But if the woman found it, they would be having spicy chicken soup - most likely cold considering the recent heat.

Two elderly women walked through the doors as Seiaman was putting the glasses away with a quickness that ended the chore quickly. She glanced at the two women, both wore dusty clothes - farmwomen. "What can I get for you?" The two women looked at each other then the older one (was it older? She was certainly more wrinkled) spoke up. "I'm inquiring as to the process of petitioning the White Tower and our Mother - Creator Bless Her - to help resolve a land dispute between our husbands." Seiaman stopped in her tracks and raised an eyebrow at the woman. What would the chances be, considering her murderous state of mind against the White Tower that these two wandered into her tavern to ask questions?

She spat on the bar table and shook her head. "Best go to a local magistrate, ladies." At this moment, a young man walked into the tavern just as the words left her mouth. "The White Tower has no time for trival matters as yours; they would most likely look at you with disdain and waste your bloody time, pretending to know everything." The other woman gasped and gestured some sort of sign. They turned away and started to walk out of the place. "They can't even handle their own problems." That rushed them out of there. Seiaman looked at the boy with a hard gaze. "What do you want?"

• 2 weeks later...

Talyn had just gotten off wall duty and it was time to go have a relaxing drink before he went to bed. He was tired and tomorrow he had an early watch. Tayln chose a different inn than normal and caught the tale end of the innkeepers conversation with the women.

"What do you want?" Talyn smiled even though the woman was standoffish. He faintly recongized her and wondered if he'd ever been here before. He shruged at his own thoughts and let his smile grow wider. "I'd like a spiced wine if you please." Talyn set a gold mark on the bar. "I've the coin to pay." He didn't get paid alot, but enough to drink for hours on end.

Talyn waited patiently for the woman to return with his drink. It wasn't a long wait he was the only customer at the time. When she returned he smiled again, "Thank you Ma'am." Tayln took a long deep drink of his spiced wine with a sign. It had been hot up on the wall and the wine tasted delicious. "Good wine, ma'am." With out thinking Talyn continued, "Why you have such hard feelings towards the White Tower?"

Talyn

• 2 weeks later...

"I'd like a spiced wine if you please." Seiaman's eyes narrowed at the boy's smile, she had to wonder what thoughts lay behind those eyes. She took out a goblet as the gold coin laid in front of her. An eyebrow raised as she glanced up at the boy. "I've the coin to pay." She walked to the end of the bar where the wine was stored in small oak barrels. As Seiaman walked back, she took her survey of the boy. He was well-built and had the muscle on his body. The way he moved was very characteristic of a Tower Guard - that realm between a trainee and Warder where they learned how to carry themselves. But merchants sometimes had that aura - so she couldn't immediately assume the boy was from the Tower. She handed him the goblet, "Thank you Ma'am." She nodded and left the coin on the counter in case he wanted to run up a tab.

As she cleaned the counter, "Good wine, ma'am. Why you have such hard feelings towards the White Tower?" She met his gaze, mere seconds passed. She knew she had to be careful sharing her affliation with the Dark Lord - in the lands of Tar Valon, a Darkfriend was an atrocity. But she also did not want to delve too deep in her history. "Let's just say that they serve the Creator but the Creator has turned a blind eye on them. Empty souls reside in those bodies - void of everything except logic and reasoning." She paused slightly as the boy took another drink from his goblet. "I once served as a Gaidin. I would know. The Creator is a sadistic bastard."

She went silent, hoping that she did not say too much to make this person suspect that she was a Darkfriend and report her. At most, she should seem like a disgruntled and bitter woman. But suppose that the boy before her was a Darkfriend as well? Perhaps he could read between the lines and surmise that she had turned her back to the Creator and those who serve Him. Seiaman knew that she needed to find the circle but the Black Sister who had turned her was an invisible commander. So she was left in the dark, with no way of knowing how to identify her fellow Darkfriends and no way of knowing how she could serve the Great Lord.

A flashback of Sirayn's face came to mind and her rage coiled within her. Whatever I have to do, I will get her back.

Talyn wondered, had he stumbled upon a darkfriend? He listend to her describe the White Tower. And wondered how a Tower Guard could come to such terms with their beloved Creator but he wouldn't ask. He didn't really care how she came to be the way she is.

Talyn smiled at the woman. "The Creator has forsaken everyone, they just don't know it yet. But I would be careful of your words, some friends don't like those who spout non-sense about the Creator. It could land you in a heap of trouble." He hoped she would understand the meaning.

Talyn had never met someone who had not come to the Ranch that was a darkfriend, but he'd been taught at an early age how to identify darkfriends, in conversation or in their business. Signs were always the key to understanding affiliations. He knew some of the more common ones and she didn't respond to any of them. His smile grew to be welcoming and friendly, "You are new aren't you?"

Talyn

Seiaman did not respond to his warning of how people could respond to such malicious words towards their beloved Creator but she kept it in mind. Such responses could be viewed as defensive and that may be the traditional characteristic of a Darkfriend. But why would he warn her? Wouldn't one of these cowards who so blindly bowed down to an invisible being who never showed His hand argue with her and threaten to report her to the authorities for her words? Unless... The very words that echoed in her mind halted her in her movements, just as her thought came that this boy ... no, this man .. was a Darkfriend too.

"You are new aren't you?" She met his gaze but was unsure whether there was deceit behind that smile. You can find traitors in the kindest of beings. She leaned forward, resting her elbows on the counter top with a quiet voice. "I am. To the entire business. I never thought I would be one..." she watched his response carefully - either he would interpret her response as to being new in the tavern business ... or an entirely different business. "But His hand reaches far, more than any other has." Seiaman could kill him. If she ever suspected he was just trying to bait her. "And it is not my place to determine how I can serve Him."

Talyn smiled. She'd answered a bit too openly but she had answered in kind. Code wasn't always necessary if the other person was more open about it.

Talyn looked around to make sure no one was in the inn. It was time to be straight forward and stop skirting the details. He disliked hiding his true alignment, and he really wondered if she turned for anything other than a true beleif in the Great Lord, but each person's reason's where their own.

Talyn offered a hand in acceptance of the new darkfriend. "I'm Talyn, a friend. What is it you would like to do for your Master? I might have connections for you to persue."