DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fantaasy Football Recap. Week 8

Justen Diablos

Since it's absence has been noted and since Empy refuses to carry the mantle on this one I (your devoted JD) will make the Fantasy Football Recap a reality once again here after a very exciting week 8. 

Whitecloak Warriors (4-4) Vs. Yard Chiefs (2-6)

In my disdain for the Yard Chiefs ability to field a real time I was going to go without a defense and kicker this week, but then I realized I didn't know what the playoff tiebreaker was (if it's overall points scored I need to field a full team every week, as I'm right on the playoff bubble) so I added Joe Nedney (SF 49ers) at kicker.  Well, Nedney scored 9 unnecessary points and my team was once again led by the best Quarterback in Fantasy football Philip Rivers (31 points) and the reciever I can't seem to give away despite being in every trade offer I've thrown out there Santana Moss (29 points).  I guess I'm glad I have him, though I didn't need him.  The rest of the team played well with Moss (of the Randy variety) and Coles getting their usual ten points each and my running backs doing very little (though McGahee may just finally be coming around) but I was playing the Yard Chiefs after all.  Chad Pennington (not a chief) had 20, Devery Henderson (not a chief) had 10, the Philly defense (none of whom are Chiefs) had 12, and the rest of the team (comprised of 6 Chief players) had 22.  Warriors win going away 108 to 64.  Empy/Soy/Hax/Myself All picked this game right while Yard Chief guy (He can't pick against his own team, what is he Pete Rose?) picked it wrong

Kynwrics Ghosts (7-1) vs. Ibleedorange (2-6)

Coming off their first loss of the season to Hax's Hussies the Ghosts needed the salve that comes with facing the orange (who bleed profusely whenever struck (especially without Stephen Jackson (who was injured this week)).  Steve Smith is the hottest reciever in the world right now as he showcased with 24 points.  LT finally had a big day (24 points). and the rest of the team played exceptionally well (with the exception of Brad Johnson (who's Brad Johnson)).  Ibleedorange had no good players. Not one.  Though Vincent Jackson (SD reciever) did put up 12, which is very respectable.  Kyn rolls 118 to 51.  His magic number (baseball playoff reference) is now 3.  Empy/Hax/Soy all picked this game right while I picked it Wrong (Don't know what I was smoking on that one)

Paityr's Pickles (6-2) vs. Seggie's Sithlords (1-7)

Oh how the Seggie has fallen.  Gone are the days of Darren McFadden showing great promise.  Gone are the days of Tony Romo leading a fantasy football team to the promise land.  Gone are the days of Terrell Owens putting up any kind of respectable numbers. Brett Favre gave it a run, as did the Tampa defense, in the end it wasn't enough.  Paityr fielded his usual team, a run heavy squad that has nothing else going for it (Brandon Marshall was on bye this week).  Clinton Portis and Frank Gore put up 30, McNabb and a very good showing from (Was. K) Suisham combined for 34, and his recievers and defense added the rest (like 10) to give Pait the win over the worst team (record wise) in the league 81 to 60.  Empy/Hax/Myself/Paityr/Soy all picked this game right.

Corki's No Hopers (3-5) Vs. Hax's Hussies (2-6)

After knocking off the undefeated Ghosts the Hussies had a bit of a letdown this week.  Andre Johnson was good, and Thomas Jones had a decent day, but unfortunately for the Hussies the rest of the team was lackluster.  Not horrible, but not really that good either.  That kind of average performance was simply not enough to beat the No Hopers, who had pretty good play out of most of the team.  Cotchery, Jamal Lewis, Kasay, the Pats defense, even Campbell who took over the offense from the extremely dissapointing Peyton Manning was good.  The No Hopers banged up the Hussies 91 to 80.  Corki/Soy picked this game right while Empy/Myself/Hax all picked this game Wrong

Emperor's Egomaniacs (4-4) Vs. JD's Sucker Punchers (6-2)

It was the battle of the Brothers, and if not for a legendary game between Karana and Soy it would have been the game of the week.  Alas, it was not to be so.  It all started with Santonio Holmes having a bit of trouble with the police not recognizing his need for medical marijuana.  Then came the day of Sunday.  Empy had a HUGE day from Brian Westbrook coming back from injury, along with a very good day from TE stud Antonio Gates.  Ben Rothlisbuihavetoomanylettersinmylast name was a tremendous dissapointment filling in for Cutler though, scoring just 5.  On JD's (not JD) side Drew Brees had a big day as did the Baltimore defense.  WR Roddy White also continues to have a career year.  The rest of the recieving corps was a bit week, but it still left him in fairly good position going forward.  After Sunday Emp was leading over his brother 98 to 96... But Monday Night Football would not be denied.  the Egomaniacs had Reggie Wayne going and the Sucker Punchers were playing the running back tandem of Chris Johnson and Lendale White.  despite being from the mystical University of Miami Reggie Wayne did not produce, while the Running Backs Tennessee did.  Final Score Sucker Punchers 125. Egomaniacs 100.  I alone picked this game correctly while Hax/Empy/Soy all picked this game Wrong 

Game of the Week

Soy Boyo, your time has officially come, so begins the collapse.

Karana's Crusaders (4-4) vs. Boyo's Soy Bombers (7-1)

You see that record after the Bombers, call me foreshadowing Ishamael.  Both teams had unimpressive Sundays, all players on both sides playing badly.  For Karana Marshawn Lynch had a decent day with 12 and her Houston Defense did all the heavy lifting with 27.  For the Bombers Kurt Warner continued to shine with 30 and Fitzgerald and Slaton put up a respectable dozen each.  Going into MNF Boyo had a four point lead, and really looked like he would win the day.  He had TE Scaife and the Tennessee Defense while Karana played Tennessee K Rob Bironas and TE Dallas Clark.  You figure the TE's wash and the defense of Ten vs. the Kicker could go either way right?  No, Dallas Clark had 2 (count em 1. 2) TD's and Bironas kicked FGs from everywhere in the stadium.  Karana didn't just beat Soy, she roughed him up on a strong Monday Night Showing.  Lovely Karana wins 108 to 89.  Empy/Myself picked this game right while Soy/Hax picked this game wrong

In picking the games here's what it looks like

JD 4-2

Empy 4-2

Soy 4-2

Hax 3-3

If someone wants too they can go back and do a whole season record of who's picked the games right and wrong, though I assume no one will and I'll end up doing it after week 13.

Season Analysis

Here are the Standings.

Kynwric's Ghosts 7-1

Boyo's Soy Bombers 7-1

JD's Sucker Punchers 6-2

Paityr's Pickles 6-2

Karana's Crusaders 4-4

Emperor's Egomaniacs 4-4

Whitecloak Warriors 4-4

Corki's No Hopers 3-5

Hax's Hussies 2-6

Ibleedorange 2-6

Yard Chiefs 2-6

Seggie's Sithlords 1-7

While no one is statistically eliminated from playoff contention nor garaunteed a playoff birth I do think that the top four teams are reasonably assured a spot and the bottom four teams are nearly out of there.  Leaving the middle of the pack teams.  With only six teams going to the Playoffs Karana and Empy currently hold the points scored advantage over yours truly, and Corki at 3-5 is one game back but still for the most part in the hunt for those last two playoff spots.  Should be an interesting down the road stretch for all involved.  Let's see what's on tap for next week shall we?

We shall.  And yes I can answer that question because it was rhetorical, and someone had too.

JD's Sucker Punchers vs.  Seggie's Sithlords.

The Dark Lords of the Sith need this game if they want to have any chance at the Playoffs, the Sucker Punchers winning this game would cement them a playoff showing, and help in the chase for the first round bye.  Adrian Peterson/Roddy White/Chris Johnson and I can't imagine the Sucker Punchers losing this game.  I give the edge to JD (not JD)

Hax's Hussies vs.  Ibleedorange

One team is going to win, go to 3-6 and have an outside shot at the playoffs, one team is going to lose and not have to worry about canceling their January vacations.  I like Hax in this one, especially if the orange fires the whole team, as promised.

Karana's Crusaders vs.  Paityr's Pickles.

Karana is in the playoff hunt, and a win this week would be huge.  With a loss Paityr would drop down into the playoff hunt rather than having the secure spot he presently holds, so it's a big day for him as well.  Paityr will be without RB Frank Gore (bye week), but he does have a very deep bench (as far as RB's are concerned) he should also benifit from the return of Marshall.  With all that said... I like the Crusaders.  They just knocked off the Bombers and Pait's team really hasn't looked all that impressive lately.

Yard Chiefs vs. Corki's No Hopers.

Last week the Yard Chiefs began the process of flushing out members of the KC Chiefs and adding real life football players, though just the week before he fired everyone not a chief.  So I'm not sure if he's tanking or not tanking.  If he does pick up a couple free agents it could be interesting against an on again/off again No Hopers team.  Though I think either way Corki's team takes it down and go to 4-5.  Putting them right back in to the playoff hunt.

Emperor's Egomaniacs vs.  Whitecloak Warriors

Here it is folks.  It's Empy against your boy JD.  It's 4-4 v. 4-4.  It's playoff implications and bragging rights abound in this one.  It really should be the primary game of the week candidate, and would be if not for the battle of the titans happening in our other featured match up.  In any case the winner takes one important step towards the playoffs, and the loser drops a big step behind the primary competition.  Assuming Karana beats Paityr (not assured by any means but possible) the loser of this game drops one game behind the playoff contenders with only four weeks remaining.  For Empy's squad Brian Westbrook looked good this week, and should look good again when the Eagles play the lowly Seahawks.  Jay Cutler returns from his bye and plays Miami, which is another good matchup.  Lee Evans should have a decent game against the Jets and Reggie Wayne and Dominic Rhodes are hit and miss against the Patriots depending on how well the Colts play.  Since the team just lost to Tennessee (so they're a bit embarrased) and are playing rival NE (they show up for training camp looking for NE) they should be alright.  Empy needs to find a TE as Gates is on Bye.  For my Warriors my beloved Philip Rivers is on bye, fortunately I have Matt Shaub to take his place.  There's no one hotter, and Shaub plays Min (good matchup).  Randy Moss plays Ind, and they can't stop the pass.  Coles plays Buffalo (all Brett Favre does is pass) and Santana Moss is a STUD, but he does have to play Pit (tough game) yet it is on Monday Night (everyone loves MNF) and he might start returning kicks and punts a bit more.  We will see.  McGahee plays cleveland and Pittman plays Miami (and should start and see most of the carries for Denver).  It's tough to give myself an edge, might give Empy the nod pregame.  Though I don't think I'm out of my league either.  It should be a good game.  I grabbed Mercedes Lewis off waivers to be my TE, as Shockey is also on bye this week.

Boyo's Soy Bombers vs.  Kynwrics Ghosts.

Two 7-1 teams go in, none go out (8-1 and 7-2 will theoretically be the records leaving this game).  One team pretty much takes a Playoff bye home with them, the other will now have to fight off JD's Sucker Punchers, either way it should be a classic.  Or a blowout, if the Bombers collapse is truly upon us.  Even if it is Kyn's got a tough game with both Steve Smith and LT on bye this week.  I'm not sure Mewelde Moore is even starting in Pit (plus it's against Washington) and I don't even know who Miles Austin is, except he's a Cowboy receiver who's not Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, or even Crayton, so he's pretty deep on a depth chart of recievers who are catching balls from Brad F'n Johnson.  Not relying on big fantasy numbers from the kid, to be honest. *g*  In the end I give the edge to Boyo and his Bombers.  The fall may come, but it'd need quite the wet floor to make it happen in week 9.  I still predict second round of the playoffs.

That's it.

JD,

Worried about his team.

See, I knew that with the Titans incredible front 4 that Manning wasn't going to have too many deep looks and would have to dump it off short to the tight end.

And I wasn't worried because I also knew that Bo Scaife was a scrub.  And did you see that amazing Houston defense pickup?

Look out Paityr.  You may be my bondmate... but this will hurt you more than it will hurt me... *eg8

Archived