DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hey FDM!

Roxinos

Guest Far Dareis Mai

I would really like to. Last year I dawdled around for the first couple weeks and then just blasted out the 50k requirement in a quick rush. This year I would like to spend only three days sculpting an outline, and use the rest of my time following a more rigid word schedule. We'll see if it works out though. Do you have any idea what you would like to write about this year?

No clue. *laughs* I don't usually plan stuff out. I only got halfway last year (25k) before time ran out because I dawdled way too much and I could have just pounded out the last bit, it just didn't appeal to me because the word count I would require each day just rose and rose. It was a bit imposing.

I think I'ma do much the same this year. Hopefully, I can finish. *laughs*

Do you actually have an idea, or are you hoping you can just figure one out in your outlining stage?

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Well last year I knew which direction I wanted to go (literary fiction), though I didn't have anything else planned. When I started outlining the elements I wanted in the story, the idea really bloomed from there. This year I sort of toyed with the idea of trying out fantasy...but I don't know that I would be very successful with only a month to brainstorm/plan/write. I just know myself, and I would totally go for epic fantasy, and end up spending the entire month developing a language or deliberating on historical facts or something that would keep me from reaching 50k. I really shouldn't put so much thought into it, and that's what they really emphasize at the site...but I can't get excited about something unless I really put some effort into it, if that makes any sense.

I'm not a big fan of fanfiction, but I also considered that, or perhaps writing a short story based on the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for D&D. But those are both 'worst case scenario--I just want to reach my 50k limit', and not really my cup of tea.  :-\

Hah. Well, if you do end up doing epic fantasy, you can still write a whole bunch of nonsense on a language or history and just have it be a character's musings. It gets added into your word count and you get to write it all. *grin* That's what I love about NaNo. It's your bloody story, do with it what you please!

As for the Fanfiction.... Isn't Drizzt based on the Forgotten Realms setting? As well as Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. Just cause it is based on a D&D setting doesn't mean it's fan fiction. It just makes you a nerd. :-p

Guest Far Dareis Mai

I agree, I don't think that the Drizzt stories or anything published is FanFiction, I was referring to non-published stories by Joe Blow writing out his characters in the Wheel of Time setting (or D&D, or Final Fantasy). I actually enjoy the Drizzt series, as well as Neverwinter Nights, or Elminster, and the rest of that particular subcategory. I guess I didn't communicate that properly lol.

And I definitely agree with you about that being a great facet to NaNo. I could totally spend an entire month on a new language....it's actually quite tempting.

What did you write about last year, if I may ask? Is there a particular genre that you prefer to write about?

No particular genre. It's always fiction. Sometimes I go a bit more fantastic, sometimes more realistic. My last story was kind of trying to blend sci-fi with fantasy. The abilities and such the characters had were fantastic, but they had an underlying scientific basis which I would only just touch upon.

I still have it lying on my desktop. If you want, I can send it along to you and you can read it. It gets very redundant as I would write as it was all comin' to me. It also is quite wordy due to that.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

I considered offering SG to opportunity to work on a collaborative piece for NaNo, but I didn't think there would be serious interest. If people happen to be reading this thread though, and would be interested in doing a group NaNo, please feel free to let me know, as I would enjoy the experience of working with others in writing a group piece.

Heh, sparking interest in NaNo is why this is a thread instead of a PM. :-p

I think I tried getting interest last year. Didn't work out too well. I just got AK to make an account, but he never actually went through with it. And this year he said that he's going to be too busy.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Yeah, I kind of got what you were going for. ;)

But seriously people, if you think 50k words in a month is too much to deal with, we could do a group thing and with enough people that number could go down to 10 or even 5k words each...which is nothing. I've seen Deathmatch's with more cumulative words than that. :D

And in case you are still going 'What the hell?', check this out for more info on NaNo: www.nanowrimo.org

Thanks Rox for making this thread. Even if people don't bite, it's still a fun thing to talk about. Last year DM devoted an entire forum to NaNo...I wonder if they are going to bring it back this year. There were a lot of people participating, and it made for a good support system on days when you want to just say f* it. :P

Archived