DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

To Dream once more ( Covina)

Ghaul

"Till shade is gone,

till water is gone ..."

There was plenty of shade here, and plenty of water. But not for the life of him would Ghaul seek this refuge in the shade here, nor would he go near the water. This cursed landscape had more ways of killing a man than a weapon wielded by either a Shadowrunner or a Shadowtwisted. 

"... Into the Shadow with teeth bared,

screaming defiance with the last breath ..."

Even disarmed, he was still a weapon. He was not dead yet, no matter what his captors fought for the man brought to them by a group of Eyeless, who then disappered for reasons known only to them. Ghaul was entrusted to 7 warriors, all of them seemed like they have seen more than a man's fair share of battle, however they made one crucial mistake - they thought of him as a man defeated. In an attempt to torment the Aielman, they have set Ghaul, with hand tied behind his back, on a rocky patch of ground. None of them seemed to think that this man, who hardly seemed alive will have any will left in him to attempt an escape. However that was just what he did. It took him almost the whole night to cut the ropes he was bound with on the edges of the stones he was set upon. The time for action would come soon, but first his hands needed sometime to recover after being bound. Patience was the key to winning this battle and Ghaul knew it. He waited, until the feeling in his hands was back and the man who was in charge of keeping guard dozed off. Now was time to make his move. Sitting up ever so slowly, Ghaul undid the ropes binding his legs, then he sneaked towards the one whose shift it was to keep guard on him. The man had no chance - Ghaul grabbed hold of him and broke his neck in one fluid motion. The man was dead before his hand could grasp at Ghaul. Taking the knife from his victim, the Aiel sneaked towards the other six of his guards. He was not a Cor Darei, or a Seia Doon, but still he was Aiel. The six men were killed in silence, covering the mouth of each one before finishing them off with a stab to the throat.

With his guards taken care off, it was now time to cover his tracks and make his escape. Using the ropes he was bound with and tearing a few of the capes of his captors, he tied rocks for weight to each of the corpses and then threw them in the lake near the camp. Helping himself to the provisions of the now dead seven warriors, and to a cape for better disguise, Ghaul headed South. He made slow progress, travelling only when he was sure that there is no one around him. The name of the game was now awareness and Ghaul played it like it life depended on it, because in reality it did. His awareness was not lowered even when he crossed into the Three Fold Land. For the Shadowtwisted his home was known as the Land of Death, and for good reason. It was just as lethal  as Blight - hostile climate, poisonous creatures, great predators and of course, the Aiel themselves. His first job was to look for a well to replenish his depleting water. Wells in the Three Fold Land were extremely rare, and each was so well masked, that sometimes even those who owned the well had a hard time finding it. He did manage to find a well and with plenty of water, and with food still left, he headed home.

"... to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

His last Day was not the day he was captured, nor was it today. With greater speed Ghaul headed home. The Deep Shade Hold was now near, and there was someone, who Ghaul knew was in great grief - his wife Covina. He has been able to rest properly as he had advanced deeper into the Three Fold Land, finding time for hunting to assure he had enough food for the journey ahead of him. Now at the end of his path, with Deep Shade in sight, there was only one thought in his head. Find Covina. Most likely she was in her roof on the edges of the hold, so Ghaul headed directly there. When he got to the entrance, he was sure that Covina was inside. He could feel her. As he entered the roof he saw her. Covina,  the former Far Dareis Mai, the head Wise One, was standing there, looking at him with eyes wide opened as she had seen a ghost.

"I have returned, Shade of my Heart"

Ghaul

Aielman in much much Trouble ;)

In the months since Ghaul had been taken from her Covina had settled into a routine of caring for the new life within her during the day and crying herself to sleep in the night. It was during those nights that she felt the most alone.

Outwardly she was the same strong, stubborn, viperous Wise One she had always been, inherently she knew she had to be strong for her clan and for her people. They had taken Ghaul’s loss hard, perhaps as hard as she herself, but over time her outward strength had helped to give her people hope. Now many even spoke to her of Bridal Wreaths, as if a new man could make her forget all she’d lost. Duty be damned, with Ghaul dead Covina had no intention of every marrying again.

Sitting crossed legged on the ground Covina’s hands explored her belly; caressing the small child inside. She did not know if it would be a boy or girl -- did not want to know. She feared that the knowledge would only maker her more afraid. She was scared of raising the child alone-scared that the baby would remind her too much of her dead husband- scared most of all, that she could not be the mother the child would deserved.

The water for her tea began to boil and she stood to prepare the leaves. Glancing out at the windows she saw that it was only a few hours to full dark; when she could once again be alone with her grief. The fabric over the door rustled- surely just a breeze- wait? A breeze even in Deep Rocks was uncommon. Turning slowly to the door tears sprang into her eyes. Wiping away the moisture Covina blinked trying to clear the image from her mind. This was not the first time Ghaul had appeared before her eyes; only the most recent.

“I have returned, Shade of my Heart”

The canister of tea fell from her hands, over turning the water onto the floor. She paid not attention as the liquid, so precious in the Waste, dampened the rugs on the floor. “Ghaul” she whispered running to lay her hands on his face. She traced her fingers along his arms and through his hair; feeling his hard muscles in his arms and chest. She drank in the smell of him and the feel of his touch on her skin. His hands were not idle either, running through her hair and feeling the small bump of her once taunt belly. Smiling up at him through her tears she nodded. “ The child is yours my heart” Covina was tall for a woman but she still had to stand on tip toe to reach her husbands lips. With that first kiss all the passion that she never hoped to feel again was ignited a new. When her heels finally settled back on the ground she was breathless, but her voice carried a hard edge. “Shade of my Heart, love of my life….if you ever scare me like that again I will take out my belt knife and kill you myself.”

A full arm slap struck one cheek and then the other, causing pink hand prints to rise on his cheek. Even after all the years since she’d left behind running with the spears Covina was still a strong woman.

“Did you know I thought you were dead? Did you even think of me at all? Or consider my pain?”Few people could break the clan chiefs stony reserve, but Covina was one such. She tried to strike him again, this time with  closed fists, but his strong hands pined her arms to her side, but that did not stop her rant.

“ Did you know I almost lost our child? My one link to you?!”

With her eyes locked on his she brought her knee up to connect with his hip and when his grip loosened she backed away a few steps.

“Sit Ghaul, you’re always welcome beneath my roof” A small reminder of the fact that he’d been away.

Tears still brimmed in her eyes, but she glared at her husband. “I will have an explanation” She started more water for tea and clapped her hands twice to summon the gai’shain with the food. When the meal was laid out she dismissed them all and folded her arms beneath her breasts..staring at the love of her life…..starting and waiting for his answers.

Covina

Angrily Elated

Slaps and threats of murder - Ghaul expected nothing else from his lovely wife. However Covina had a surprise of her own for him, she was with child. His child. Never had Ghaul thought that he would see the day he would be about to become a father. And yet here he was, caressing Covina's tummy, where his child, their child was growing.

"I will have an explanation"

Those words brought Ghaul back from his thoughts. Well, if it is explanation she wanted, and explanation she will get.

"And you will have one, love of my life, but in your condition shouldn't you be in bed resting?"

Before Covina had time to react, she found herself in Ghaul's arms, being carried towards her bed. Now, the fiesty Wise One was not happy with this development, or at least she put on a face of not being happy. Her fist banged on his back

"Ghaul!! Put me down this instant! You have no right to ... "

Whatever it was he did not had the right to he never found out, as his lips found hers in a long kiss, which had Covina slowly give up on trying to pound his back. Ghaul held the kiss on the way to the bed, broke it just for a while to lay her down and kissed her again, sitting by her side.

"I never give orders that I myself would not carry out if I have recieved them, Covina, you know that right? The Aiel have never been lead by authority alone, it is authority and example. That was my point on that raid, Shade of my Heart - to lead by example. I know it is risky, but there is nothing safe about our homeland, or our way of life. We each do what we must. But how can I order warriors into battle if they know that I am not willing to share the risk their face in the dance? Of course, those fades and the excursion in the Blasted Lands were not part of the original plan ..."

Covina was about to protest at this point, but he silenced her protest with another kiss.

"I am her now, Covina. And I do not plan to leave you again, not for a long time. In fact, the only time I plan not being by your side is when I visit a sweat tent. Every night I wish to fall asleep and awake with you in my embrace, Shade of my Heart"

Ghaul

Trying to explain

Covina could not help but smile with small satisfaction as her husband’s eyes explored her body. It had been to long since they were together, but tonight was a time for explanations, making up would come after.

"And you will have one, love of my life, but in your condition shouldn't you be in bed resting?"

She fixed him with a furious glare and prepared to release one of her infamous tongue lashings, but was caught off guard when she was swept up into his arms. Like a cat in a sack she squirmed and shrieked as he carried her deeper into the house. Hard blows rained on his back and arms, most hard enough to leave bruises, but still he never faltered. Damn him! It had been years since Covina had actually tried to drub Ghaul and she’d forgotten what a hard opponent he could be.

"Ghaul!! Put me down this instant! You have no right to ... "

A kiss more romantic than any she’d ever received was laid upon her lips and for those few seconds she forgot all her anger, and heartache. She even forgot what it was he had no right to do….All she could think about was lying in Ghaul’s arms. As she was set down gently on the bed she refused to let him go, not wanting to break their embrace. But, she’d spent too many nights, crying, alone in her bed to not want to hear what he had to say.

"I am her now, Covina. And I do not plan to leave you again, not for a long time. In fact, the only time I plan not being by your side is when I visit a sweat tent. Every night I wish to fall asleep and awake with you in my embrace, Shade of my Heart"

Cold eyes listened to his tale. He spoke to her as if she had not lived the same life that he did, as if she did not understand the duty a man in his position had to his people.

“Ghaul Targaryen if you think for even one second that I do not know what you speak of I will get up out of this bed and beat you, no matter how you kiss. Did I not run with the spears and dance where you pointed? Was I not always where the fighting was the hottest, leading my Sisters or being led? I know what it means to send men and women to fight, and to follow, but I also know when it is right to stand aside and just be a leader. Your people, nay our people, they love and admire you and know that you would never send them into something that you yourself would not face. You have proved that time and time again.”

Reaching out the touch his cheek her face took on a sad smile. “ You are my life Ghaul and this child’s father. I could never ask you to be anyone but who you are Shade of my Heart, for it is that man, that Clan Chief, that I fell in love with, but you must learn that there will be times were you are not needed to lead the charge and to be where the fighting is hottest.”

This was not the first time, she and other Wise One’s had tried to tell him these things, but now perhaps the words would have more effect coming from his wife and the mother of his child. But Covina did not hold much hope, one thing she remembered well about her husband was that he was as stubborn a man that was ever born.

Covina

Trying hard to move a mountain

• 3 weeks later...

Now where has Ghaul heard that before? He has heard the same, almost word for word from almost every Wise One he has ever know, starting from his adopted mother Rhianna, passing through Alissa and ending up with Covina, the Shade of his Heart. Each time Ghaul dismissed their fears and words of warning. He always had the feeling, that even though they had such harsh words for him, deep inside they were actually proud of him. He was almost certain that that was the case with Rhianna, but after all the woman was his adopted mother and the one who trained him how to fight, he was never certain when it Alissa was Head Wise One and lectured him like this, while Covina was a complete mystery! Howevr he could not deny that he often was taking too great risks. He was no longer just a spear, be that of a society leader. He was Clan Chief now, he had duty to the clan, to the Aiel and to the Car'a'carn. And as of most recent, he had duty as a father to his yet unborn child. Placing his hand on Covina's tummy, he spoke.

"A commander who leads from the front is little more than a common soldier. A wetlander Tain Shari has said that. Yet it was the same wetlander that said that there comes a time where every commander must commit to battle his last reserve, himself. I realize my duty to our people, to you and to our child. Shade of my Heart, I can not promise you that I will not be taking risks or be in danger's way, but I can, and I will promise you that I will be much more careful from now on. I do want to see our child grow."

Covina's smile was more rewarding than anything that the Dance has earned Ghaul. However, Ghaul being Ghaul, he was not going to stop here. The flames that appeared in the clan chief's eyes were all to familiar to the  head wise one.

"As for you and your sisters entering the dance to where I pointed. Well getting you and your spearsisters to actually fight where I pointed them to, was often a much harder than winning the battle. It never seizes to amaze how stubborn you Maidens can be"

Ghaul said all that with a wink, and while Covina knew he was joking he was not going to leave things like. Well she would not, had Ghaul not tickled her. What followed was a quick tickle match with Ghaul tickling his wife's tummy and sides, while Covina, even though she was giggling and squirming, still managed to bang her fists against him, hitting some sore point in his muscles. That in turn remined the clan chief that doing something about relaxing his muscles would not be such a bad idea. And Covina was excellent at massages. It was not once and twice that tension and soreness in his muscles has disappeared under her magic touch. Perhaps it was still possible to persuade her to work her magic this time too. Stopping his tickle attack, and silencing Covina's giggle and laughter with a soft, loving kissed, he whispered in her ear.

"I would love to continue our little tickle fight, Shade of my Heart, but my body is reminding me that I need to give my muscles rest and relaxation. Will you be willing to lend me a hand with that?"

Ghaul

Rather sore

• 3 weeks later...

"As for you and your sisters entering the dance to where I pointed. Well getting you and your spearsisters to actually fight where I pointed them to, was often a much harder than winning the battle. It never seizes to amaze how stubborn you Maidens can be"

Her cheeks flushed just lightly, but her back was straight and proud. She had always followed Ghaul where the fighting was the hottest and guarded his back before she ever knew how important he would be to her on day. When his fingers slowly began tickling her sides she fought like a caged cat! Pounding him with her fists and squirming trying to get away. With her growing belly she was not as hardy as she’d once been, but still she did not stop. Covina did not want her husband to think her weak.

"I would love to continue our little tickle fight, Shade of my Heart, but my body is reminding me that I need to give my muscles rest and relaxation. Will you be willing to lend me a hand with that?"

And just like that her smile melted. Covina arched an eyebrow at her husband and pursed her lips. He’d run away from her and like a fool gotten himself “killed” and now that he was back from the dead he wanted a back rub. Her Clan Chief would find that it would not be that easy to worm his way back into her good graces. Still..he had been through a lot to return home to her. Pointing to the spot next to her on their pallet she waited until he was laid flat on his stomach and she was sitting on his back using her strong hands to work out knots and tension that were months old, before berating him again.

“You must understand that not all can be forgiven so easy. There is toh to be met” She did not say if it was hers or his, in his mind he had to know how she felt. “I accept our promise to be more careful, but that is not enough Ghaul. You will see this child grow or else you can leave now and go back to where you came from.” Her hands pressed harder into his back, so hard that any other man would have winced or cried out in pain. “There can be no more rushing in to where the fighting is hottest without second thought. You must promise to pause and think before you rush forward. It is not just for me…or for our child, but for our people as well. They took your passing hard and I do not think losing you twice in a short time will be good for their hearts. Which reminds me….we must tell them you are back from the dead.”

When Stone Dogs and Maidens began talking about Toh to be met, things have turned serious. So far Ghaul has relied on both his and Covina's sense of humour in order to cushion the blow from his disappearance for such an extended period of time and than his sudden appearance. And the pressure from Covina's thumbs on his back was another indicator that his wife was now serious. He had to admit that she made very good points - not the least of which was announcing to the clan that he has returned to the Dream. Which presented one quite complicated issue.

"The clan will learn that I have returned, but before announcing that officially, there's one matter to discuss." - even though he was still laying on his back and enjoying Covina's healing touch, he was serious. - "I am certain that in the five months that I was gone, there have been candidates to enter Rhuidean. They are many men among the clan worthy of becoming Clan Chief. And among those, almost all are strong enough to survive the journey through the glass columns. So technically, before announcing to the Dragonmount that the Clan Chief is back, first I need to know if I am still Clan Chief or not. However, we better discuss all that at length tomorrow, on clear head when the emotions will be somewhat subdued. Right now, I have different plans."

Even without looking at Covina he could tell that her eyebrows have arched. And she had a good reason for that. Usually, when he mentioned that he has a plan it ment that anything can happen. It was often that even Covina did not knew what he had come up with. Some Wise Ones have said that even he does not tell even his feet where he'll jump until he was in midair. However, his current plan will not be a secret from the Shade of his Heart. He turned so he will be facing her, his expression blank.

"For five months I was gone, and went through some rather unpleasant events and expiriences. At time, when my strenght was about to leave me, there was one image that kept me going. It was the image of you crying, Covina." - Ghaul's expression softened and his hand touched Covina's cheek. - "I do not want to see you crying, Shade of my Heart, and certainly not over me - I am hardly worth crying for. What I want to see right now, is to see you smiling. Very few people know how beautiful a smile makes you, Covina. And my plan is to stay here with you the entire night and do whatever it takes to make you smile"

Ghaul

Clan Chief with a plan

• 2 months later...

Few women’s could keep from tears at their husband’s return, but even in her “fragile” state Covina looked at her husband with an impassable sternness.  It conveyed her concern and the concern of their people, as well as all their months of pain. Ghaul spoke of his disappearance and of his return with the same bland certainty as he showed in the rest of his life. Truly she had married herself to a man as stubborn as the night was cold and as hard as the rock that made up the Three fold land. At other times pride had accompanied that thought, but now all she could feel was frustration.

Frustration at knowing that Ghaul would lead the spears in the dance again, and frustration at knowing there was no way to stop it short of his death. Sighing she looked deep into his eyes and tried to put all her anger and pain aside….if only for tonight.

“Shade of my Heart, if you wish to see me smile then you only need utter my name. For the sound of your voice is enough to make my heart sing. Tonight I think we can let our problems rest for another day. Tonight will only be you and I, for tomorrow you have much to explain to our people.”

Leaning forward she let his arms wrap around her and hold her close, safe and protected as she had felt all the nights they’d shared a bed. She could never let him know the truth of his embrace, but wrapped in his arms she felt safe as a babe. “I love you Ghaul” she whispered as she planted soft kisses on his shoulders and neck. “Please do not leave me again.” He was her weakness now, and she knew that in her bones. Without him a part of herself had died, and regaining it would take more than one night in his arms.

“I love you Ghaul” she whispered as she planted soft kisses on his shoulders and neck. “Please do not leave me again.”

She did not need to ask him that, he didn't plan on leaving Covina anytime soon. He pulled her as close to him as possible. During his return he longed for this moment when he could feel her warmth and now he was going to enjoy this moment for as long as possible

"I love you, Covina" - even without being able to see her face, he could feel the smile of his wife.

"I love you, and I am not going to leave you again. I want, and I will, grow old and grey by your side."

With Covina snuggled into him, Ghaul felt at peace. For the first time in 5 months, he was able to let his guard down. He held his wife into his embrace until he could feel her breathing slowing down into sleeping. Being very careful not to disturb Covina who was about to fall asleep, he stood up with her in his hands and carried her over to their bed. Laying down carefully, with Covina smiling at him, Ghaul pulled his love as close to him as possible kissing her gently with all his love, and held her until they both drifted asleep.

The next morning Ghaul woke later than usual. He needed a good rest. And nothing could help the clan chief recover better than the sight of Covina, sleeping with her head resting on his chest. Ghaul smiled at her. She looked even more beautiful than what he remembered. However, today was not a day to be spent entirely alone with Covina. Today there was work to be done, and he had to get to it. With a gentle kiss he woke Covina up.

"Good morning, Shade of my Heart" - he said as Covina opened her eyes and smiled at him. Soon the two were done with breakfast and were discussing the task ahead.

"I believe it will be best if my return is announced directly. If anyone has any questions they can take them to me personally. However, five months is a lot of time. Perhaps they are warriors in Rhuidean. Has anyone asked you to visit Rhuidean, Covina, or asked any other Wise One?"

Ghaul

• 1 month later...

Opening her eyes to see the Shade of her Heart’s face was such a shock for a moment she thought it was a dream. Then, she had complete mastery of her dreams and in her heart of heart knew that it wasn’t. Pulling him down into her embrace she didn’t let him go until her desires were satisfied.

The morning was going so beautifully that Covina was caught off guard when the subject of Rhuidean was brought up. “There were others to ask my permission” she said slowly, setting out cups for water. “And there was one who went seeking to replace you.”

Honor and Obligation governed her life and it had been the duty to her people that had allowed Covina to say yes when her heart screamed no. “It was Cenn who asked permission, and he did enter. We waited the ten days and he was not seen again. This was only a few weeks gone. None other has asked permission and none other have gone.” She didn’t know how he would take the news. Likely he would accept it like he accepted all other things, but with his return so fresh Covina was unsure.

• 2 weeks later...

So it was Cenn who asked permission to enter Rhuidean, went it and didn't return.

"Well that is a surprise" - even though he has said it with his normal even voice, Covina gave him a surprised look. - "It's surprising that he didn't return, Shade of my Heart, not that he was sent into Rhuidean. After all, he witnessed my capture, along with the others. He has also heard what the Car'a'carn said at Al'Cair Dal. I guess somewhere deep inside he though that the story of his own ancestors will be somewhat different. I am also surprised that no one else has asked permission considering I was long time gone."

Ghaul made a small pause to have a sip of water.

"Well, I believe that the best way to announce my return is for the Aiel to see me in the clan chief's chair. Plus, I imagine that in 5 months time there have been accidents that would call fora clan chief's judgement. And I would say it is high time I get some work done"

Covina only stared at Ghaul, not answering his last inference. He had no need to know how many had asked to take his place. He had returned home to her and their people, that was all that would matter now.

“Yes, Clan Chief. I believe your suggestion is best, though the Wise One’s have dispensed justice with an even hand while you were away.” Ghaul would be surprised at her sudden meekness, but there were times when it was best to keep quiet to keep the peace. “I will let the other Wise One’s and the society leaders know that they will look to the East at sunrise. Now if you will excuse me husband there are many plans to set in motion.” A secrets to keep before Ghaul was shown again to be the Clan Chief of their people.