DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue

Mathias

If the prologue gets released early, we will open the AMOL discussion board accordingly, and make it very clear that that board is the only place where those discussions are allowed. We did this with KOD, and the KOD prologue, and it worked in a most satisfying way.
I thought that would be what you would do, but I've seen other boards where people fail to completely abide by the rules regarding spoilers. Most people will abide by them, but there's bound to be a few who slip through. Unless we're just better behaved than other boards...we're just better than other boards, that must be the answer. Not that I'm hugely bothered either way, but I'm sure some people will be concerned by the odd person not taking proper care. How about public whippings for those who violate the rules?
We are better than other boards, simple as that. When KOD was released, I had to delete less than ten posts for posting spoilers where they did not belong. And this was for a book that some people got their hands on a month before the official release.

There might be a lack of politeness and civil behaviour on the boards sometimes, but if there is one thing people do respect, it is spoilers, at least when they get an alternative to talk about these things.

Only sometimes? We must try harder! Of course, some boards are worse than us on this issue as well. And that is an impressively low total of spoilers.

Guest Dreadlord

You guys seem to assume that because the draught is so much % done that that must include the prologue. How do we know the prologue has been written yet? In Wheel of Time prologues-and epilogues for that matter-were one of RJs favorite places for Forsaken/Darkfriend PoVs and other people we dont normally get a PoV from, and through said PoVs we get glimpses of bad guy plans and other peeks into the Shadow as well as events involving other forces. So the prologue of AMoL needs to be carefully done, and through a character worthy of the privalige. Theres not a chance we will get the prologue any time soon as the full thing needs to be done and redone till is squeaky clean, and THEN it needs editing.

We wont see the prologue for a long time yet.

RJ did state in one of his blogs that the prologue was something he'd worked on specifically--he even stated that he hoped it would be released by october of last year.

That being said, i don't see Tor releasing the prologue until within sight of the release of the book--it makes no sense to do otherwise. The idea is to amp people towards sales.

I would agree that this hope about the nature of the first draft predicting the books progress is unfounded. Different authors work at different speeds, but most will agree editing takes alot longer then initially writing. By his blog i'd say Brandon Sanderson is one of those types of writers.

Archived