DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue

Mathias

Take a close look at that progress bar you're using as a reference, there. Now look at the text above it. "A Memory of Light First Draft." Calm down, friend, we've got a while to go.

Actually, "friend" Sanderson is working on the rewrite. If you look a bit harder you will notice the bar entitled "Rewrite of AMoL's First Quarter."  You should note that the prologue falls within the first quarter of a book. 

In the future when you have a smart, snotty comment to make I suggest you have a better grip on the facts.  Better yet, keep it to yourself because it certainly is not welcome here.

Well, before I say anything, let me point out I'm not being rude, just disagreeing with you. Which is ok.

A rewrite, or second draft, does not mean final. As a writer, I know that it's nowhere close, at least the way I work. Sanderson will probably want to go over it a couple more times before he calls it done. So don't get too overly excited by the 'rewrite'. It most likely is not the finished product. =)

Well, I must be very different than you. I prefer that they don't release the prologue. Even if they do, I don't want to read it.

The prologue was one of the scenes RJ worked most on and was most proud of. So the prologue will probably be 100 pages purely RJ.

You say you want to read that? RJ probably wrote about 300 pages, and dictated and did much work on the rest.

I prefer to read RJ's part when the book is released.

One thing Robert Jordan taught me was patience.  Was taking RJ 3 years to put out new WOT books, which is always the problem becuase the more I wait the more I expect and get hyped then find it can never live up to my way too high expectations that built up over the years.

I want the prologue, but only 2-3 months before the release of AMOL. A little apetiser, when the big release can be seen at the end of the tunnel.

Of course, if they released the prologue tomorrow, the only way for me to stop myself from buying it would be to throw away my computer and not buy a new one until AMOL has been released ;D

Of course, if they released the prologue tomorrow, the only way for me to stop myself from buying it would be to throw away my computer and not buy a new one until AMOL has been released ;D
Here's hoping for a tomorrow release, then. I can use those Maj-free months to secure my dictatorship. By the time he returns, I will be too powerful to be toppled *evil laughter*

Here's hoping for a tomorrow release, then. I can use those Maj-free months to secure my dictatorship. By the time he returns, I will be too powerful to be toppled *evil laughter*

Fortunatly, I have my minions in the basement ready to be released and handle any eventual crisis...Mwahahaha ;D

Fortunatly, I have my minions in the basement ready to be released and handle any eventual crisis...Mwahahaha ;D
Damn. Outmanoeuvred again. Nothing else for it - I'll have to kill all your minions. You brought this on yourself, Maj, with your opposition to my dictatorship dictatorial ways.

Oooooo, do I sence a big battle brewing up here? Maybe taking it out on the internet in the game called Starcraft, or possibly Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath? Or could Supreme Commander Forged Alliance offer you guys a challenge?

You do that, I promise that the minions are not at all booby-trapped. Nope, the thought never crossed my mind...
You can booby trap them if you want, Maj. I plan on getting my minions to nuke your house, with the nukes I've already sneaked into your basement. Game. Set. Match.

Oooooo, do I sence a big battle brewing up here? Maybe taking it out on the internet in the game called Starcraft, or possibly Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath? Or could Supreme Commander Forged Alliance offer you guys a challenge?
No. To those games offering a challenge, and to senseing a battle. It's more of a massacre that you sense. And I prefer real battles to those on computers. If you want, we can refight the North Africa campaign from WWII, with me as the victorious British, Maj as the North Afrika Korps, under the talented Erwin Rommel, and you as the Italians.

And, to give the pretence that this post has been in any way on topic: They should release the Prologue no more than 6 months before publication. Preferably less.

Oh, no! Dear God, no! Please Mr. Ares, God!!! Everything but the Italian army! God, don't you have any humanity left inside of you?! Don't you know that the Italian amry is just something to laugh at?! God! When the germans fought in North Africa, the Italians just surrendered, so they wouldn't have to fight much. Italian soldiers aren't one of the most disciplined, or best soldiers in the world, you know!

*Bela snorts and stomps her hoof, and looks daggers at all the would be dictators. Then they all hear in their minds, "Bela Brown Horsey Is Dragon Reborn....Stop It...Or Bela Brown Horsey Send Nyneave 2 legs to Pull her Mane and squak at you" *

This message brought to you by Darth_Andrea

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]starwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif

And, to give the pretence that this post has been in any way on topic: They should release the Prologue no more than 6 months before publication. Preferably less.

sense and reason. i hate reading early release prologues. i would, of course, buy it, then read it, then hate myself for the six months to a year before getting the rest of the book...

Oh, no! Dear God, no! Please Mr Ares, God!!! Everything but the Italian army! God, don't you have any humanity left inside of you?! Don't you know that the Italian amry is just something to laugh at?! God! When the germans fought in North Africa, the Italians just surrendered, so they wouldn't have to fight much. Italian soldiers aren't one of the most disciplined, or best soldiers in the world, you know!
No, I don't have any humanity left in me. I never said the Italians just surrendered. But they were under-prepared, under-equipped and needed the Afrika Korps to help them out. They didn't have tanks of the same quality as the British or Germans, nor was their artillery comparable. Their Air Force and Navy were not as good as ours. Without Rommel, they would most likely not have penetrated as far into Egypt as they did. You're right, though I did give the Italians too little credit, and you far too much. How about you get to be the Roman Legions at Cannae. I'll lead the Carthaginians. Sound fair?

*Bela snorts and stomps her hoof, and looks daggers at all the would be dictators. Then they all hear in their minds, "Bela Brown Horsey Is Dragon Reborn....Stop It...Or Bela Brown Horsey Send Nyneave 2 legs to Pull her Mane and squak at you" *
Mr Ares stares down the horse with ideas above its meagre station, unimpressed by such threats. He sends it too the glue factory. Long overdue this has been. Jokes about said horse ceased being amusing a long time ago. Now, we don't need to suffer them.

Maybe Mr Ares has some Roman Legions hidden somewhere and don't forget Ares is the God of War.
Why would I have Roman legions? They'd just get slaughtered by a modern army. Also, Ares is a Greek god. Surely having thousands of Spartans would thus make more sense? I'll just unleash my Panzers now...

sense and reason. i hate reading early release prologues. i would, of course, buy it, then read it, then hate myself for the six months to a year before getting the rest of the book...
If they release the prologue more like 2-3 months in advance, as Maj suggested, the wait wouldn't be as long as you fear. So you could spend less time with your self hatred. Of course, if you didn't read the early release Prologue you wouldn't be able to risk reading the forums. People are bound to ignore or forget the spoilers and just post away. Maj would end up working overtime to edit away anything like that. So with him overstretched, I'll have an easy victory!

Of course, if you didn't read the early release Prologue you wouldn't be able to risk reading the forums. People are bound to ignore or forget the spoilers and just post away. Maj would end up working overtime to edit away anything like that. So with him overstretched, I'll have an easy victory!

If the prologue gets released early, we will open the AMOL discussion board accordingly, and make it very clear that that board is the only place where those discussions are allowed. We did this with KOD, and the KOD prologue, and it worked in a most satisfying way.

If the prologue gets released early, we will open the AMOL discussion board accordingly, and make it very clear that that board is the only place where those discussions are allowed. We did this with KOD, and the KOD prologue, and it worked in a most satisfying way.
I thought that would be what you would do, but I've seen other boards where people fail to completely abide by the rules regarding spoilers. Most people will abide by them, but there's bound to be a few who slip through. Unless we're just better behaved than other boards...we're just better than other boards, that must be the answer. Not that I'm hugely bothered either way, but I'm sure some people will be concerned by the odd person not taking proper care. How about public whippings for those who violate the rules?

I thought that would be what you would do, but I've seen other boards where people fail to completely abide by the rules regarding spoilers. Most people will abide by them, but there's bound to be a few who slip through. Unless we're just better behaved than other boards...we're just better than other boards, that must be the answer. Not that I'm hugely bothered either way, but I'm sure some people will be concerned by the odd person not taking proper care. How about public whippings for those who violate the rules?

We are better than other boards, simple as that. When KOD was released, I had to delete less than ten posts for posting spoilers where they did not belong. And this was for a book that some people got their hands on a month before the official release.

There might be a lack of politeness and civil behaviour on the boards sometimes, but if there is one thing people do respect, it is spoilers, at least when they get an alternative to talk about these things.

Archived