DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Best character intro

All the characters are introduced in various ways throughout the books. I was wondering whose introduction you feel is the best?

My own: Cadsuane.

Her intro was the most excellent I have ever read in any book. I am going to quote it here because I love it so much:

The door opened again for Riallin. "An Aes Sedai has come to see the Car'a'carn." She managed to sound cold and uncertain at the same time. "Her name is Cadsuane Melaidhrin." A strikingly handsome woman swept in right behind her, iron-gray hair gathered in a bun atop her head and decorated with dangling gold ornaments, and it seemed everything happened at once.

"I thought you were dead," Annoura gasped, eyes nearly starting out of her head.

Merana darted through the ward, hands outstretched. "No, Cadsuane!" she screamed. "You mustn't harm him! You must not!"

Rand's skin tingled as someone in the room embraced saidar, perhaps more than one, and swiftly moving well clear of Berelain, he seized hold of the Source, flooding himself with saidin, feeling it fill the Asha'man. Dashiva's face twitched as he glared from one Aes Sedai to another. Despite the Power he held, Narishma grasped his sword hilt with both hands and assumed the stance called Leopard in the Tree, on the brink of drawing. Lews Therin snarled of killing and death, kill them all, kill them now. Riallin raised her veil, shouting something, and suddenly a dozen Maidens were in the room, veiling, spears ready. It was hardly surprising that Berelain stood gaping as if everyone had gone mad.

I just can't stop laughing after reading this-especially the end part on Berelain!!! ;D

I like Rand's initial encounter with Loial in the library of The Queen's Blessing in Caemlyn (TEOTW, Ch. 36, ``Web of the Pattern''). Not as spectacular is Cadsuane's arrival, but rather more amusing, at least to me :-) There is Loial's apparent mistake about Rand being Aiel, even tho' we think we know---from what Tam said in his fever---that he is, but in truth his mother was not, so the apparent evidence is just that, apparent. His appearance is more to the point, of course. And Rand's denial is part of his unwillingness to accept what he is.

Archived