DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

(Moved from Tinker DG) Time.

GrandpaG

I've got a few extra minutes on my hands.

I was visiting the White Tower with a band of Traveling People.  The trip started off very good, but then I told a really long story and kind of killed the whole trip.  Sometimes, being a show stealer can have negative consequences.  :(

I was going to tell a story over there, but the place seems to be deserted.  Not wanting to waste precious time, I quickly Traveled to the nearest friendly place that I know of...here among the Tuatha'an!  I might have tried a stedding, but the One Power doesn't work there so I would have had to spend even more time walking in then back out again.

When I headed here, I had no idea of what my topic would be today.  I just knew I had to expel some words or I'd just explode!!!  When it came time to name the thread, I didn't have a clue what to call it.  The word "Time" just sort of poured out of my fingertips.  But, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something, right?  ::)

My first thought is, how many references have I made to time just to this point in this thread?  No, I don't want to count them, either!  But, I do remember mentioning "saving precious time", and "spending too much time walking"...that's without looking...now I'll take time to look back (yes, that pun was intentional).  ;D  "I've got a few extra minutes"; my really long story killed the trip; "quickly Travelled"; "when it came time to name the thread"; then, the pun.

In the series, do you think the Traveling People were concerned with time?

I can see mothers saying, "come on, children...it's bath time!".

Or maybe, "it's time for supper!"

And, of course, "come on everyone...it's time to DANCE!!!".  :)

But, did they worry about time the way that we "modern" people do?

In the fast paced "real" world that I come here to get away from, everything seems to be timed.

===  "It's time to get up."

===  "It's nap time."

===  "What time is it?"

===  "If your train is on time you can get to work by nine."

===  "I have to finish this assignment on time."

===  And the classic, "Maybe later...I don't have time right now."

How many Tinker dads ever said that to a son wanting to learn how to whittle a whistle out of a stick?  (my guess is:  NONE)

It seems that so many of the days of my life have been wasted by hurrying to finish one project to begin another to juggle two or three more...why did I do it?  Wasn't my time on this earth just as important as any Tuatha'an father's?  Why did I hurry to get my kids properly educated and sent out into the "real" world?  That time is gone forever.  I can't travel back in time to regain those lost precious moments.  Before I ever became a father, I dreamed of spending time with my kids like my dad never could with me.  I wanted to take them fishing.  Or go for a picnic out in a pasture.  With nothing better to do than enjoy the time alone with them.  Or teach my boys how to whittle a whistle out of a stick even if it meant taking time to learn how first.

You Tuatha'an don't know how good you have it.  Sure, you are always on the move, never settling in one place for long, always in search of the song.  But, other than the chores that have to be done, your time is yours.  And what better way to spend spare time than dancing!!!  ;D

* starts to tap his toe *

* gradually sets a rhythm *

* matches that rhythm with his body movements *

* realizes that in some circles this is called "keeping time" with the music*

* smiles somewhat sadly, yet peacefully *

* always thinking about time *

I know that the Traveling People don't get the Travel Channel let alone the History Channel, but the other day there was a program about how long the earth has been around (not Randland, the "real" world).  I have heard the theories many, many times.  I can never keep them totally sorted in my brain.  Four-and-a-half billion years seems like a long time to me.  It is but a wink of the eye of an old gleeman compared to eternal time.  And out of all of those years, man has "only" been the way we are today for a handful of thousands of years.

Our existence is but a wink of the eye of an old gleeman when compared to earth's history.  We have lived in "civilized" groups for a few thousand years.  Printed history (some stick marks in clay) has been around for a few thousand.  Our calendar dates 2008 years which isn't even a wink.  And my 54 years don't even register as a twinkle.

So, what's my point?

I don't have one.

Like I said earlier...just had to write something!!!

But, now that I've opened the can of worms (not to mention taking up your valuable time reading this), share your thoughts about time.

And, thanks for listening!

:)

I really enjoyed that Gramps.

I have to agree the Tinkers don't seem to be concerned with time at all. Even finding 'The Song' they do without rushing around, it's almost like the know they will find it one day, When the Time is right.

RL is all about rushing around, the get to work on time, get the kids up in time, everything is set to times, the shops, the programs we watch. It rules our lives. Sometimes I think the live of the Tinker sounds very idyllic and blissful. As for finding time for dancing, thats probably what we could all do with in our lives, I love dancing and don't hardly do it at all now... :(

I think the point of all this is not how fast or how slow you live your life, but the point is that you have a good time doing it.  Certain subcultures are faster paced than others, but the important thing to remember, no matter where you are or how fast you go, enjoy yourself.

Whether it's a fast paced game of tennis or a slow lazy day fishing on the river, just make sure you are doing something you like with someone who's company you enjoy and don't waste your time, worrying about how fast or slow everyone else around you is going.

So I'd like to take this time, to ask Talya to dance.

*bows and holds out his hand*

See...my Tuatha'an friends are always polite to me!  I can ramble on about almost anything with them...that's part of the reason I like visiting the wagons.  The other part is music, food, laughter, and dancing!!!  ;D

* motions to some nearby Tinkers to pick up the beat *

* they don't need to be coaxed...they're always ready for good clean fun *

* soon others of this band join Eclipse0 and Talya *

What a wonderful way to pass some time!!!

I'm going to go and invite other guests to join in...catch ya later!

Can I change the format of this post, please?

From this point on, enter a saying that refers to time.

Either well known, not-so-well-known, or original...doesn't matter.

I'll start.

"Time flies when you're having fun."

Amen to that...*wants doughnuts now* :D

For everything there is a season,

And a time for every matter under heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die;

A time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal;

A time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh;

A time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;

A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to seek, and a time to lose;

A time to keep, and a time to throw away;

A time to tear, and a time to sew;

A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate,

A time for war, and a time for peace.

For the Good Times

Don't look so sad, I know it's over.

But life goes on and this old world will keep on a-turnin'.

Let's just be glad we had some time to spend together.

There's no need to watch the bridges that we're burning.

Lay your head upon my pillow,

Hold your warm and tender body close to mine,

Hear the whisper of the raindrops flowing soft against the window,

And make believe you love me one more time,

For the good times.

I'll get along, you'll find another,

And I'll be here if you should find you ever need me.

Don't say a word about tomorrow or forever,

There'll be time enough for sadness when you leave me.

Lay your head upon my pillow,

Hold your warm and tender body close to mine,

Hear the whisper of the raindrops flowing soft against the window,

And make believe you love me one more time,

For the good times.

(For the good times)

{For the good times}

;)

And the BT theme song seems to fit in here as well:

I can't find the rhyme in all my reason

I've lost sense of time and all seasons

I feel I've been beaten down