DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

More Linking Questions

Asmo

Well, most of these can only call for guesswork instead of facts and evidence, but they seem interesting.

1) What happens to a Circle if the leader is killed?

2) What happens if one of the members contributing to a Circle is balefired some time to the past? What will happen to the weaves that have been formed with his / her contribution?

3) Can someone link with a female channeler bound by an adam? Can a channeler bound by an adam lead a Circle?

4) Can someone not bound by the Three Oaths who is leading a Circle which contains Aes Sedai use the Power as a weapon without the requirements stated by the Oath being met? Will the Aes Sedai suffer the ill effects of violating the Oath?

5) The strength of a mixed Circle - can it be "measured" by people outside the Circle? If a woman feels a Circle of men and women, will she feel only the amount of saidar being held or will she feel how much saidin is held as well?

6) If saidin and saidar repel each other (as seen in Winter's Heart), how can they be combined into a single weave via a Circle? Rand mentioned that gateways made by a link of an Asha'man and an Aes Sedai were bigger than what he could do alone, which implies they are combined.

1)Someone else will have to take over. I think a more interesting question similar to this would be if a man was killed that was needed for 13 of the women to be linked.

2)I was under the impression the leader creates all the weaves (just draws strength from them) so i dont think anything will happen. Expect Maybe some death or burning out.

3)If the Sul'dam allows it I guess it will work.

4)My Opinion. Yes. No. She has no control over whats being done, so she is not USING the power to do harm.

5)Id imagine just their respective half.

6) Saidar and Saidin are equal and opposite sides of the true source. (The Ancient Aes Sedai symbol of the Tear drop and Dragon's Fang combined supports this). They make up a whole. But they are also opposite. In a way its a bit of a paradox IMO. Or you can look at it like a magnets positive and negative poles, they will repel if put in a certain position to one another.

Thats just my thoughts on it though

Further to 1)- if the one man in a circle of 13+ women dies, what I would say happens- and what I would have happen if I was GMing WoTRPG- is for women to be forced out of the circle, last-in-first-out, until it goes back down to 13. Or maybe have the circle break apart- any weaves it was making at the time dissipate like those made by a channeler who is forced to release the Source while making them, and the women are left holding the Source.

Further to 4)- Aes Sedai damane cannot use the Power as a weapon, and a sul'dam has more control than the leader in an ordinary link- she can force the damane to burn herself out, for example. So I'd imagine that it wouldn't work. Just how it would fail is another question- would the whole weave fizzle, would the Aes Sedai be forced out of the circle, or would the circle act for that weave as if the AS wasn't there? Ideas?

1) What happens to a Circle if the leader is killed?

I'm unsure. I'd say nothing--we see eben killed in a circle, though he isn't a leader, and we know of many circumstances of fatalities in circles in hunting false dragons, and there are no comments to suggest its dangerous.

Against that we have the fact that a sul'dam injuries effect the damane. A a'dam circle is different in many ways from a normal circle, but we also know that a normal circle can be used to inflict pain, much like an a'dam... so suggestively its possible that the people in a circle suffer the same injuries as the leader of the circle.

2) What happens if one of the members contributing to a Circle is balefired some time to the past? What will happen to the weaves that have been formed with his / her contribution?

They will not have occured, and the circle will not have occured. That being said the same effects may have been done in the past by the same circle lacking the individual, though all in it remember the individual--effects resulting without the participant, as much as with.

3) Can someone link with a female channeler bound by an adam? Can a channeler bound by an adam lead a Circle?

It's not known for sure--probably unlikely--but there are circumstances that suggest its possible. Firstly in the Great Hunt there is a tale of damane appearening around Sheraine. The apperence of six prior to her being shielded suggestively indicates a link. Especially given that Ryma bursts into tears. Six, the same amount of damane that could participate in a link. Then we see Tuon wield two a'dams at the same time.

So, its definately a weak case, but there is some suggestive evidence suggesting its possible. As for the second question, no a woman bound by an a'dam could never lead a circle. The sul'dam retains leadership.

4) Can someone not bound by the Three Oaths who is leading a Circle which contains Aes Sedai use the Power as a weapon without the requirements stated by the Oath being met? Will the Aes Sedai suffer the ill effects of violating the Oath?

Yes. The oaths effect the individual, but the individual is no active in creating the flows.

5) The strength of a mixed Circle - can it be "measured" by people outside the Circle? If a woman feels a Circle of men and women, will she feel only the amount of saidar being held or will she feel how much saidin is held as well?

Indeed, she will only feel the saidar. Even the leader of the circle will feel only the other gender's flow that they themselves are wielding. i.e. Daigian only feels Eben's saidin, not Aran'gars. Or Demandred only feels Flinn's saidin, and not the contribution of Corele and Sarene. He has to deduce that they are Aes Sedai.

6) If saidin and saidar repel each other (as seen in Winter's Heart), how can they be combined into a single weave via a Circle? Rand mentioned that gateways made by a link of an Asha'man and an Aes Sedai were bigger than what he could do alone, which implies they are combined.

The repel and work together. They can never be mixed, but used together, flows woven of both are more effective, more powerful. Say a weave is of earth, fire and air. Divide that in two, make some of each of the threads from saidar, and some from saidin, but weave them together to form the weave....

Further to 4)- Aes Sedai damane cannot use the Power as a weapon, and a sul'dam has more control than the leader in an ordinary link- she can force the damane to burn herself out, for example. So I'd imagine that it wouldn't work. Just how it would fail is another question- would the whole weave fizzle, would the Aes Sedai be forced out of the circle, or would the circle act for that weave as if the AS wasn't there? Ideas?

In the case of the Damane the sul'dam is directing the damane to create the weaves.  Versus in a circle the leader is creating all the weaves, just using the power from other people.  So in that sense there would be an easy mental loophole around using the power as a weapon, and as we've seen, thats all an Aes Sedai needs.

I think this was answered, but the damane isn't really the one doing the channeling.  her ability to channel is stricly controlled by the sul'dam who holds her leash.  This is why the sul'dam is able to either allow her to channel or not, and also why when Nyneave is linked to Moghedien, it is Moghedien who has the aura of saidar around her.  Nyneave is basically linked to her and using her ability.

So a damane could never create a circle or be joined into a circle, unless her sul'dam was first...and I think that because the sul'dam has already established herself as leader of the sul'dam/damane "circle" she would then need to include other channelers.  I'm not sure if two women already linked can join a forming circle of channelers.

I was wondering this, too.  But only because obviously things can be done by weaving saidin and saidar together.  but what about the actual process of those things?

Saidar creates a gateway by creating a similar space in the Pattern, while saidin creates a gateway by boring a hole through the Pattern.  How does a channeler create a gateway with both halves of the One Power when the process of creating a gateway is so different?

Archived