DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Hate Is Strong In This One (Jasmyne's Arches)

Tigara

This Hallway was incredibly boring. Having walked down this same hallway every day, sometimes more than once, it became familiar. It was the fastest route between her rooms and the Mistress of Novices office. Jasmyne had been down this hall so often; she could navigate it in her sleep. She had just been at the MoN’s office, but amazingly enough, it was delivering a message that didn’t involve her getting paddled. Paddlings were getting far less frequent now. It was a good thing.

She opened the door into her currently empty room. She liked not having a roommate. A roommate would drive her insane. Just like everyone else in this blasted White Tower. She couldn’t wait to become Aes Sedai and get some respect. Oh, why did she have to be so extraordinarily stubborn?

She had just shut the door behind her and moved to pull her plain, boring white dress over her head, when there was a knock. She quickly turned around to glare at the door, hoping that it would tell the person on the other side to go away. Unlikely, since the more she glared, the more the vein on her forehead bulged. And anger never worked on the Aes Sedai or most of the Accepted. She attempted to compose herself before answering, but that vein still pulsed across her forehead. She opened the door to see Larindhra standing in the doorway with a serious look to her. “It is time, child.” Jasmyne almost lost it completely! “I was just in your office! Why couldn’t you have told me then?” she said with a considerable tone of heat to her voice. Much better than she expected. Larindhra just arches one eyebrow and told her “We must follow custom. Follow me.” 

Jasmyne followed along behind the Red, muttering to herself. “Custom, eh? I’ll custom you. I’ll custom you in the face and then custom you down the stairs, and then we’ll see how you like custom.” “What was that, child?” Larindhra chimed from in front of her. “Nothing, Aes Sedai!” she said as sweetly as she could muster. Jasmyne just kept stride, bunched her hands into fists, arched her back forward, and glared at the back of the woman’s head. Her stride was a bit heavy, as if seeming she wanted to stomp her way down the hall. “Child, if you continue to glare at me, I may change my mind about this.” Jas once again, nearly exploded. Her face was red, her vein was looking about to burst, and she wanted to punch her. How in the Light did she know what she was doing all the time?! That irritated her to no end. She managed to control herself and give a quiet and forced “Sorry, Aes Sedai.” She continued the trip with her eyes staring at the floor, but fists still clenched.

It wasn’t that long before she was in a room. A very dark room, like a basement. And in the middle of it was some sort of silvery device made of three glowing arches. Three sisters stood around it, sitting cross-legged and adorned with their shawls. A green, of course, was sitting. The Greens were interested in her. It turns out; a lot of Greens have a temper. A Red sat to the left. The Red held some interest for her, as well. They might have more appeal if it wasn’t for Larindhra. The third sister was a Gray. She didn’t know why a Gray. Aes Sedai always had hidden agendas. Off to the side was a table with three silver chalices in them. “Maybe I’ll get wine at the end of this.” She mused. There was a Blue behind the table, as well. An older looking Aes Sedai, seeing as her dark hair had a considerable amount of gray in it.

Larindhra suddenly spoke. "There are two things I must tell you that no woman hears before entering this room," the Mistress of Novices began. "Once you begin, you must continue to the end. Refuse to continue and, no matter your potential, you will be put out of the Tower with enough silver to see you through a year and never be allowed to return. And secondly, to seek, to strive, is to know danger. You will know danger here tonight. Some have entered and never been seen again. When the ter'angreal was allowed to grow quiet they simply were not there. To survive, you must be steadfast. Faltering leads to failure.”

"This is your last chance, child. You may turn back now and you will only have one mark against you. Twice more you will be brought here and only after refusing for a third time will you be put out of the Tower. There is no shame in refusal. Many cannot enter the first time. Now you may speak."

She was very eager to say yes, to get respect, but she didn’t want to seem too eager, or they may deem her immature. “Yes Aes Sedai, I am ready.” She said as calm as she could. Her lips quivered on the verge of laughter. It just did not sound like her at all!

Then suddenly, the Blue Sister boomed out with a very commanding voice. "Whom do you bring with you, Sister?"

"One who comes as a candidate for Acceptance, sister," Larindhra replied back in a loud, clear voice.

"Is she ready?"

"She is ready to leave behind what she was, and, passing through her fears, gain Acceptance."

"Does she know her fears?"

"She has never faced them, but is now willing."

"Then let her face what she fears."

The Mistress of Novices turned to Jasmyne. “Please remove your clothes, as you must be clad in the Light for this.” What? She expected her to run around naked in front of these women like some Domani wench? Her vein began to bulge. Larindhra gave her a look that told her that this was serious. Jas gulped and slowly pulled her dress over her head. Her arms instantly covered herself. Not just for shame, it was cold down here!  Larindhra nodded and smiled as she led Jas over to the arch between the Green and the Red. Oh, that woman just loved to toy with her. "The first time is for what was," she said. "The way back will come but once. Be steadfast."

For what was…

~**~

What a grand city! The topless towers of Cairhein stood out like beacons, calling all around to see their not-quite-finished splendor. The autumn breezes were cool, and the air crisp. Leaves danced on the breeze. And Jasmyne was stuck in the palace. Fair? Yes.

Jasmyne may be stuck in the palace, but she liked the palace. She held sway here. She may be only 16 years old, but her mother was the Head Maid. And her mother loved her so. She strolled along the corridor, inspecting the floors and windows. The floors, you could eat off of. The windows could use some work. “Lucinda!” She called and a stout little woman down the hall jumped. She looked around and saw Jasmyne waiting, so she hiked up her skirts and ran over. “Yes, Mrs. Jasmyne?”

“Lucinda, how many times do I have to tell you? I’m not married. Call me Miss.”

“But you really should consider getting married. I was with my first child when I was your age.”

“I didn’t call you so you could tell me the glories of married life. The windows are filthy. Get to them.”

“Yes, Mrs. Jasmyne.” Jasmyne just rolled her eyes and moved on. Some people never change. She continued her inspection down a few more halls. Every once in a while she barked out orders. “Claudia, clean that vase!” “Annetta, those towels need refolding!” “Sonya, Lady Michelle needs an extra attendant. Go!” Such was her life. She liked giving orders. She was made to give orders.

The sun was setting in the land of the rising sun. Some of the more superstitious considered it to be bad luck to be in Cairhein at dusk. Jasmyne was about to retire to her quarters for the night, when Annetta came running. “Jasmyne, Zera wants you in her rooms, right now!” Zera, the second most powerful maid. One of the few who could get away with bossing her around. She loathed that woman. She didn’t think she could dislike anyone as much as Zera. She reluctantly went, shuffling her feet.

When she arrived, Zera sat in a tall gilded chair, and Jasmyne’s mother was there too, bound to a smaller chair. Jasmyne looked around confused. Her eyes stopped on a dagger on a small table in front of Zera. What was going on? “Ah, Jasmyne. Right on time. I have need of your…services.” Zera rose and walked to the dagger. “You see, some of the maids are beginning to dislike your Mother being the Head Maid. And wouldn’t you know it, I volunteered to help. Now, you are a strong spirit and a good leader. Here is my offer. If you take this dagger and plunge it into your dear sweet mother, we’ll appoint you Head Maid. Just think, no one as young as you has ever had that honor. And it’s yours for the taking.” Zera gestured to the dagger. Jasmyne reached for it. She’ll show that hussy what the Ceres family is made of. As she clutched it, she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. A silver, shining doorway, right beside her Mother. She looked to Zera, who was wringing her hands. The way back will come but once. Be steadfast. She wanted to stab Zera, but something told her not to. She began to step toward the door. “Jasmyne! No! Don’t do it!” her mother cried as she her daughter approached her with a tool that could cut her open in an instant. Zera wrung her hands all the more. Her mother tried to talk her out of it, but it was mostly unintelligible sobs. She was beside her Mother, and directly in front of the door. She turned to look at Zera. Tears were in her dark eyes. “I hate you.” She said and stepped through the door.

~**~

. Jasmyne walked slowly out of the arch, fists balled up and eyes holding back tears. Icy water shocked her as it flowed down her head and back. That’s what those pitchers were full of! "You are washed clean of what sin you may have done and of those done against you. You are washed clean of what crime you may have committed, and of those committed against you. You come to us washed clean and pure, in heart and soul." The Blue pronounced. “I’m starting to think you do hate me.” Jasmyne told the Red. “No child. No one knows whether the things we see inside are real, or fake. It toys with you. You must be strong. Now come. The second arch is for what is. The way will come but once. Be steadfast."

Jasmyne looked at her with a very unsure look. She took a few steps toward the arch between the Red and Gray. She stopped in front of it, took a deep breath, and stepped in.

For what is…

~**~

Jasmyne sat in the tall dark chair in Larindhra’s office. Nothing special about today. Just her usual trip to have her bottom paddled, then she would be on her way. But that horrible woman seemed to be taking a lot longer than usual. She slumped in the chair that already threatened to swallow her whole. Dratted chair. She just sat waiting. She studied the desk, and the carvings on the legs. She stood up and paced the room. The door suddenly opened and permitted the vile Red woman. “Good, you’re still here. Now, down to business.” Larindhra stepped behind her desk and sat down. That wasn’t procedure. Normally, she went over to the closet, grabbed the paddle, Jas would bend over, she would get a few swats, then Jas would go. Larindhra  just sat behind her desk.

“Ah, I see you are confused. Let me explain. I was in conversation with some of the teachers, and we have come to a conclusion. We feel that your temper and stubbornness are getting in the way of your studies.” Jasmyne leaned close and started to smile. One-on-one teaching? No more visits for punishment? This could be exciting. “This is why we are going to send you away. You will not have the chance to become Aes Sedai. Here is enough silver for a year. You may go collect any personal items you may have in your room, but if not, you will leave immediately. Good day, Jasmyne.”

Jasmyne just sat with her mouth open. They were sending her away? They couldn’t! She couldn’t go back to the Sun palace. She had run away from that job. Her mother would be ashamed of her. She stood up to protest. The way will come but once. Be steadfast. What? She turned to see a silvery doorway right in front of the door out of the office. But, she couldn’t go there! She had to beg to get back in! She had to hit the woman! The Red wasn’t looking at her. She had her head down, writing something down. She had an easy blow to the head. But, she had one chance. She turned quietly and walked over to the shining door and stepped through.

~**~

Jasmyne stepped out, arms crossed and glaring at Larindhra, who was standing in front of her, and standing a good foot taller. Once again, the icy blast of the water shocked her so much that she gasped. Well, it was closer to a squeal. "You are washed clean of false pride. You are washed clean of false ambition. You come to us washed clean, in heart and soul." Stupid Blue. What right does she have to freeze her skin off. She turned her attention back to the Mistress of Novices. “I hate you.” “Yes child, we have been over this. Now, are you ready to continue.” “Yes.” Larindhra lead her over to the last arch, between the Gray and Green. "The third time is for what will be. Be steadfast for the way back will come but once." What will be? This thing tells the future?

For what will be…

~**~

The sky was gray and the clouds poured forth their tears. The sky lit up with lightning like an Illuminator’s display. The wind howled a sad song. The autumn was always like this. Dreary. A good day to be inside. The walked the Halls of her own Ajah, the Green. Some of the Borderlanders had said that she was like a lion trapped in the body of a lamb when it came to battle. She took pride in her skills.

“Jasmyne Sedai!” “Yes child?” The Accepted towered over by nearly two feet. One of those willowy Domani women. “You have been summoned by the Hall. You are to go immediately.” The Hall was calling her? She could thin of no reason why she should be. She did nothing with the Eyes and Ears. Just her own personal ones, four in total. They just reported Blight activity in each of the countries. She wasn’t old enough to be a Sitter yet, and the Green had all the Seats filled. It couldn’t be that. The Amyrlin was alive to her knowledge, and if she wasn’t, she wasn’t old enough for that either. Those were the usual reasons a random Aes Sedai was called to the Hall. “Thank you, child.” She said as she made her way down the hall.

She stepped into the Hall in her best jade green dress. It was her favorite. It had emeralds sewn on the front in an hourglass pattern. Simply beautiful. She surveyed the Sitters in their seats. They all stared at her with blank faces. No smiles, no nothing. The Keeper spoke. “Now that the woman in question is here, we may proceed to the courtyard.” The courtyard? In this weather? What were they up to? What courtyard? Suddenly she felt very nervous. In question? The Sitters rose and walked in an orderly fashion. The Keeper and Amyrlin took up the back. And another woman, but she couldn’t tell who. She feel in with the Greens, but they didn’t even acknowledge her. Very nervous.

The courtyard was muddy. The gray storm clouds made the scene very dark. The Sitters made a ring around her, in their groups of three. The Amyrlin stepped forward into the circle. “Jasmyne Ceres, you have been summoned before the Hall under the accusation of being of the Black Ajah. Larindhra Sedai of the Red has provided more than sufficient evidence to condemn you. The punishment for allegiance to the Shadow is nothing less that stilling followed by execution.” The Amyrlin stepped back and 13 sisters stepped forward. Two from each Ajah except the Green. Only one Green stepped forward. And they were all the youngest Sitters. She couldn’t believe what was happening! What kind of evidence could that vile red have put forward? She was certainly not Black Ajah and had done nothing to imply as much. She reached for saidar so she could fight back, but it wasn’t there. She narrowed her eyes and saw that the 13 were linked already and had shielded her. She hadn’t noticed in the heavy rain. The weave was changing. No! It was the severing weave. She fought the shield hard, but to no avail. A shield by 13 sisters was impenetrable, except maybe with a sa’angreal. She braced for the worst. And the shield was gone. Saidar was gone. She felt a wave of sorrow coming over her. She thought she was crying, but wasn’t sure because of the rain. She sure felt like she was crying. Her source of life was gone, never to return!

The way will come but once. Be steadfast. There it was! The silvery door way was atop something. She narrowed her blurry tear-filled eyes and she saw some sort of platform. It looked like gallows! Oh no, they were going to hang her! But the door was there. She had to go. She felt her body being wrapped in Air and dragged over toward the wooden platform. She stumbled to her feet and let herself be led. She wept as openly as she ever had in her life. The stairs approached her and the air dissipated. Now was her opportunity. If she was to run away with her life, this was the time. The way will come but once. Be steadfast. She took one step up, and then another. No turning back now. She stepped through the door, still crying.

~**~

She tumbled out of the ter’angreal, her body red and her face redder, vein bulging on her forehead. She wept and shrieked and screamed. She felt comforting arms around her. Who would comfort a woman who was just stilled and was about to die. Then she noticed that she was on stone, not mud or wood. She looked up through tears and saw Larindhra with her arm around her. Larindhra! If she hadn’t been so exhausted, she would have pushed her away. Real or not, that vile Red caused her no end of trouble and strife. For now it was paddling, but who knows, maybe in the future that will happen. Not if she beats her to the punch, she won’t.

She looked up further and saw that there were more people in the room than when she last saw. The Amyrlin Seat herself was standing in front of her with the last chalice, with a sister from each Ajah behind her in a V-shape. "You are washed clean of Jasmyne Ceres of Cairhein. You are washed clean of all ties that bind you to the world. You come to us washed clean in heart and soul. You are Jasmyne Ceres, Accepted of the White Tower. You are seal to us now. Welcome, daughter.” The Green behind her passed the Amyrlin a ring, and slipped it on Jasmyne’s middle finger on the left hand. The Great Serpent of the Aes Sedai! This was the first step toward Aes Sedai. One more. The Amyrlin bent down and kissed Jas’s cheeks, as did all the other sisters in the room. Her face was still red from crying, but it was comforting. Except the one from Larindhra. She almost pushed her away.

When all the formalities were through, the Aes Sedai all left, and Jasmyne had her new Accepted dress on. She started toward the door, then stopped, and said something for the Mistress of Novices who was behind her a few feet. “If you thought I hated you before, you haven’t seen nothing yet.”