DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tears for the past and the future

Eqwina

The long months that had passed, and felt like an eternity now seemed only seconds in comparison to the realization that she would never again see her beloved Nevin. Almost a year since his last letter and with every passing day she grew more sure that he was never to return. But she was Aes Sedai and broken heart or no, she had made a commitment to the Tower and to herself. She had come to the White Tower so many years ago in search of a home, and she had found so much more.

Silently Eqwina thanked the Light for the many blessings she had received, and with a trembling hand wiped the tears from her eyes. She could not help but smile at her reflection. Upon arriving at the Tower she had been a sniveling, fainting, coward, but through out the years the Tower had given her strength and a reason to believe in herself.

Eqwina straightened her pale cream silk over her hips, a felt to see that her necklace was in place. Such a small bit of gold, and yet it held such great importance. It was a link to her past, and sometime the feel of it against her skin was the only thing that got her through the lonely night. She straightened to her full height, since Nevin had left Eqwina had been more aware of her short standing, at 4’10 she was among the shortest sisters in the Tower. That accompanied with the fact she had not yet achieved the ageless face caused her to always wear her shawl when leaving her apartments. But today was a new day, the beginning of another chapter in her life.

At the early hour the halls were still empty with the exception of a few young girls in white already beginning their morning chores. But no matter the burdens they carried they all paused to curtsy. Most Accepted and Novices knew how touchy sisters were about protocol, especially the newly raised Aes Sedai. Eqwina offered a nod in return to each girl, and attempted a smile.

The stark white of the infirmary was a sharp contrast to the dim halls that were brightly decorated with tapestries. Eqwina blinked as she entered, something she saw made her heart leap to her throat. There was a young man, not much taller than she with dark brown hair and shoulders to broad for his body. Eqwina fairly ran to meet him, as the man turned to face her Eqwina’s heart sank. This boy was years too young, and his face was far to round. It was not her Nevin, She broke into a run and left the young man stammering. Flinging open the first door she saw Eqwina ran in and slammed the door behind her. She sank down and lay her head on her knees, sobs racking her body. Would every short man appear to her as Nevin? Would every face she sees become his?

A small sound, barely a whisper drew her head up. Only then did Eqwina realize that she was not alone. Laying stretched on the cot was a man, his face was as hard as stone, and the scars that crisscrossed his body brought new tears to Eqwina’s eyes. Drying her own eyes she went to him, and embraced the source. Before she could lay a hand on him, the hard mans eyes poped up and Eqwina was sent backwards with a start. She landed hard on the cold stone tiles, and stared wide eyed and furious at the man that had just delivered her to the ground.

Corwin had been doing his regular nightly exercises. But tonight was different. Tonight he heard someone on the ground. It was a bad mix with him feeling congested. While he went to follow the person jumping from building, Corwin couldn't help but wonder who it was. But just as he was going to jump to another building his let out a sneeze that had been building for hours it seemed. With his eyes taked from the building, even for that split second, Corwin opened his eyes to find himself smacking into the side of the building. Aparently the sneeze had barely thrown him off track when he first jumped...not much, because his right arm caught the edge of the building. Eventually he was able to throw himself over the edge and rested for a moment. Whoever it was would be long gone by now. He could feel his nose broken, but his left hand was starting to feel broken too. He didn't notice at first because of the adrenaline, but it seemed it was time to visit the infirmary...yet again. He seemed to go there a good bit.

Walking in, which was rare enough, the Aes Sedai saw it wasn't an emergency, another rarity for him, and told him to go wait in a bed. She had an emergency on her hands with a Trainee it seemed. As he waited at a bed, he was waiting only a few minutes till someone came who tried Develing him. While normally he didn't mind, since the Tower was careful enough about who walked around in the Infirmary, the woman was clearly distraught. He wasn't going to trust his life to this women. Not in the state she was in.

She looked amazed at him for pushing her back. He didn't want to be so mean, but it was needed. Now that she knew not to try using the Power on him, Corwin offered his hand to her. "I don't wish to be rude, but I am particular about someone not crying while they Heal me. If looking at my scars is that bad, perhaps I could put my shirt on..." Corwin tried to make light to not upset the woman more, but he didn't know how she would take it.

The man was a fool!! Eqwina glared at his outstretched hand, and dismissed it with out notice. With as much grace as she could manage Eqwina pulled herself up from the floor and straightened her skirts. It was with great effort that she did not rub her bottom; the brutish man had caused her to land quite hard.

“ Your scars do not cause me offence, I have seen much worse†Though even as she spoke Eqwina could not help but want to touch the half healed pink flesh. No matter how tough this man’s appearance those scars must cause pain. “Though you sending me flying does concern me, I needn’t tell you I am Aes Sedai for it appears you already are aware. You must be very brave indeed, or perhaps just a great fool†The short Yellow was proud at how steady her voice remained. In years past her anger would have taken over, or perhaps fear. But things were different now, her heart had hardened with the loss of Nevin. The part of her that wept and knew fear was dying, its pace quickened each day. Subconsciously her hand went to the thin chain that lay around her neck, and she gently stroked the small charm.

Even as she did that Eqwina began to circle the man in front of her. “ Clearly you are in need of my help, now sit down so I can tend to youâ€

Distraction was what she needed now, Keeping busy helped her to forget.

OOC: I have been trying to call you for days, where have you been?

IC:

Corwin looked at the woman. He didn't see Aes Sedai so out of control normally. The woman was yelling at him for Light's sake. "Aes Sedai, we must speak civily toward you, perhaps you could do the same? Yelling never helps any situation." Corwin knew he was only getting himself in deeper, but he wasn't going to be Healed when someone was so out of control. Even if she hated him, he knew deep down letting her touch him with the Power wouldn't go over as well if she was so angry...well didn't know, but it was only reasonable, why else would Aes Sedai need to stay in control of their emotions so much? Corwin turned and put his shirt back on, he didn't know what the woman would do to him.

OOC: I have been trying to call you for days, where have you been?

IC:

Corwin looked at the woman. He didn't see Aes Sedai so out of control normally. The woman was yelling at him for Light's sake. "Aes Sedai, we must speak civily toward you, perhaps you could do the same? Yelling never helps any situation." Corwin knew he was only getting himself in deeper, but he wasn't going to be Healed when someone was so out of control. Even if she hated him, he knew deep down letting her touch him with the Power wouldn't go over as well if she was so angry...well didn't know, but it was only reasonable, why else would Aes Sedai need to stay in control of their emotions so much? Corwin turned and put his shirt back on, he didn't know what the woman would do to him.

OOC: I got stuck at work almost a weekend until 1am, when I wasn't there I was sleeping. I will post later today.

To her own ears she was epiotme of calm, but apparently this man could not see past her tear staind cheeks. When Eqwina spoke again, it was slowly and in a voice barely above a whisper. "The only out of control person in this room is you, and unless you want me to make something of you striking an Aes Sedai, have a seat" There was not heat in her voice,what she stated was simple fact, though it was plain she meant to be obeyed.

Taking orders was not something the bruitish man was used to, She could see that, though defiance flashed in his eyes her took a seat on the edge of the cot. Her looked much like a lion poised to strike.

" Your name please, and how you came about these injuries."

The woman was insane if she thought she was in control of her emotions, swinging like she was. But he sat down because he wasn't going to let her make a fool of herself more then she has. Aes Sedai can't lie, and her saying he struck her would be a lie...atleast to him it would be. But he complied when she told him to sit down, he didn't have a choice really.

"My name is Corwin and the injury came from training."