DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Desert Island Disks - BotRH Style!

Corki

Ah yes, the M-G, I had been secretly stalking him for months before I decided to join the Band and get closer to him.  Yeah...right.  :P  I chose the band because Mat is one of my favorite characters and I love the Band.  And it had horses!  I'm a bit of a horse freak, been riding since I was 5 or 6 and it totally appealed to me.  I could join the band, kill some trollocs and ride horses.  What wasn't to love?  ;)

The Band has turned out to be my home away from home in a way.  I have met some great people and continue to do so.  There isn't anything I wouldn't do for anyone one of the Banders if I was needed.  There really is a sense of family there.  *nods*

My first peice of music is

by Poison.  I am an 80s child and was such a headbanger/glam metal lover.  LOL.  This song brings back so many memories of being a teenager and the good times.  It's just a fun song with a great bass line that always makes me smile.  :D  I'm actually still a bit of a Poison freak.  I went to a Poison concert in August 2006.  ;)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question Northie.  I absolutely think the pressure's are different on teenagers now.  Both decades had their hazzards of course.  The excess of the 80s, the internet generation of now. 

To be honest, I think there's greater pressure on teens today.  The 80s were all about sex, drugs and rock n' roll, and it was a feel good era.  Todays teens still face the sex and the drugs, but in the 80s you had to go out to find it.  In this era, it comes to you.  I'm not saying it wasn't everywhere or available to whoever wanted it in the 80s, but with the internet, there isn't anything you can't get.  Pedophiles stalk the internet, information both good and bad is shared.  Trust me, I'm not saying the internet is bad.  I'm belong to an online org.  ;)  What I am saying is the internet is something that wasn't available like it is now to teens of the 80s.  We hung around in Malls, went outside everyday.  We didn't have this instant connection to everything we could possibly think of. 

I think teens feel more pressure to do better now also.  The expectation of society has increased, we expect people to grow up and get great jobs.  In order to do that you need to do well in school, go to a good college etc.  It's also more competitive in both jobs and school.

Something else that sticks out in my mind about todays teens is the tragedies we see constantly of school shootings.  I never even thought about that when I was in high school.  There was no such thing as metal detectors at most schools.  The worst you could expect is a brawl in the courtyard.  :-\

All in all, I think each decade that goes by, the pressures on teens and children increases.  It seems that as each decade goes by, self esteem seems to drop.  *shrugs*  I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly seems to be that way.

So on to the song.  I think what makes me smile the most is just the memories it brings back.  A time of no cares or worries.  Well, I suppose back then my worries were which guy to go out with, but nothing like being an adult.  LOL  It was a time of fun and being young.  Guess that's what makes me smile when I hear it.

Took me a bit to come up with this one.   ;)  My next peice is Come What May performed by Nicole Kidman and Ewan MacGregor.

Moulin Rouge is one of my favorite movies, which is weird cause I usually don't like love stories.  Maybe cause it's a tragic love story.  *shrugs*  Anyways, as for the song, it just pulls on my heart strings.  I think because it's not your typical singers it sounds more realistic and emotional.  It makes me want to be wrapped in a certain someones arms  ;)  I've always wanted this song as my wedding song, it's in discussion right now.  LOL.  The words speak to me in ways that other "love songs" don't.  It pretty much makes me melt and it is exactly how I feel right now.   ;D

ahhh..such a beautiful song. and i totally agree...describes how i feel about corki really well!! the other songs i love from that movie is "your song" and "el tango de roxanne" and "the show must go on". i also love "love actually" for a good love movie. i just cry all the way through it! lol!! its a brilliant movie in alot of ways. what especially do you like about moulin rouge? any similarity to classics such as Romeo and Julliet?

Don't tell, but I totally love "Love Actually"  Finally bought it last month.   ;D ;D

What do I love about the movie?  Well the fact that it's a musical yet tugs at the heart strings.  My father loves musicals so I grew up watching some of the classics...My Fair Lady, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Oklahoma.  Finally there is a musical for my generation.  I think the bohemian aspect brings a lot to the movie.  It's not your typical musical and it has some of the greatest actors of our time in it.  Really, it's just a hard movie not to like.  It took me a bit to even think about watching it.  LOL  I'm so glad I did.  I think the fact that it's a tragic love story has a lot to do with it.  Usually I won't watch a movie I know as an unhappy ending, cause who wants that.  But I think its more than that.  Its a story of love that has to deal with so much chaos but still prevails.  I connect with the sadness of losing a love and having to go on.

Do I see a connection to Romeo and Juliet...I suppose in a way. A hidden, forbidden secret love.  To be honest I slept through Romeo and Juliet in High School and never picked it up again.  I can see the similarities to Tristan and Isolde.  Both are stories of love that should be that couldn't be.  Sorry...not a reader of the classics alhough I should.  LOL

hehe! im not a reader of the classics either. and the majority of films of romeo and julliet arent that great...but the actual play is brilliant. however i think i like the 12th night better...its a love story again but its a comedy as opposed to a tragedy i think.

whats your 3rd bit of music and why have you chosen it?

My last piece is one that you had on your list too. 

I think the music from the Lord of the Rings Movies is fantastic, all of it, but this one just strikes a cord.  I don't know if it's Annie's haunting voice, the fact that it's sung at the end of the movie or what.  It is one of those songs that makes you realize you are listening to something amazing.  Whether your sad or happy, the music fits.  It makes your heart soar.  Actually just listened to it again before I posted it and made me bawl like a baby.  I do have reasons for that, the song doesn't normally make me cry.  :)  So that is my third choice.  :)

Some may think I'm silly, but the reason it made me cry is because my sister had to euthanize her dog the day after I posted and I absolutely loved that dog. So that is why I was sad.  :-\

I can't think of any other songs that have that effect on me.  There probably are, but since you asked me, I can't think of one.  LOL, that happens to me all the time.  At Christmas, when someone asks me what I want, my mind goes blank.  There is stuff I want and I can think of it when no one asks me, but as soon as someone asks me *poof* gone!  ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, sorry bout the delay...bit of stage fright set in.  ;)

My song would be Into the West.  For above stated reasons.  :)

The Book I would have to take with me would be The Davinci Code.  ;D  I absolutely love that book and I can't put it down no matter how many times I read it.

As for my luxury item, it would be a solar powered satellit MP3 phone.  For the obvious reasons.  :D

Thank you very much, Brid. That was very interesting. Feel free to pick anyone you like and be the question master to continue our Desert Island Disks thread. :)

Takes Northie's vacant seat and gets her papers full of questions organized and then tosses them on the floor, knowing that this will not be a by the book interview with this next person. 

Welcome back to Desert Island Disks, Band of the Red Hand Style.  Our next victim is the Cavalry's newest member Myndrunner and ladies and gents, this will be one to remember.  ;)

Thanks for agreeing to this Mynd.  So my first question is...How did you find Robert Jordan and inevitably DM?

Well, first of all, thank you so very much for having me on your program this evening.  You know, I am a huge fan and always have been......I tune in every time you.....what? this is a podcast? Oh, well I tune into your podcast every time its aired.  It is indeed an honor to be here.

Anyways....Ah, Robert Jordan, you say? Yes, me and ol' Bob go way back, yes.  In fact, a lot of this so called "fiction" that he wrote about is actually based on real events.  All the shenanigans and bally-hoo that he and I would get ourselves into were put into that book.  You see, Bob and I went to rival military schools and we first met at a joint VMI-Citadel writing course, and let me tell you, the professor, Colonel Bedel, was a real ball-buster, let me tell you.  Can I say that? Can I say ball-buster on the air?

Anyway, Colonel Bedel was a major influence on most of these Aes Sedai characters, especially Elaida Do wa Ditty....or whatever her name was.  During a run to Starbucks, Bob and I were chatting about this book he had been working on, but he was struggling for a title.  He had some garbage like the Block of Time, or the Stone of Time keeps rollin' on....some real rubbish, I say.  I told him that time was more like a wheel and it spun out patterns into the weave of life.  He got real excited and started jotting this stuff down.  We talked about his book for hours and hours, brainstorming ideas about the characters and what to do next. 

As our semesters continued, Bob and I became fast friends. There was this time we snuck into this all girls Seminary school, we called it the White Tower.  We used to mess around with the freshmen, they were called novices.  He kept chasing after this real pill of a woman, named Swan or something, I dunno.  She was a real cold fish if you asked me, but her room mate, Leanne, oh mercy!  Dark hair, dark tanned skin, and a great pair of....*cough* ahem, a great pair of eyes on her, yes.  *grins*

Bob would often email me for advice on what to do with his next chapter.  I kept coming up with great new characters for him, but he was afraid that the world we were creating was becoming too big for one book.  Thats when I asked him, "Why stop at one book? Why not Twelve?"  And the rest is Dragonmount history.  Of course, my ideas were not the only things he took from me....he started dating my ex-girlfriend Harriet.  I think things got pretty serious with them for a while.  I wonder what happened to her.....*knuckles mustaches in thought*

So, I digest...sorry.  I should look her up....anyway.  So, after the horrible news, I was trying to get a hold of Brandon Sanderson's email, to offer my advice like I had done so many times in the past.  That is when I found this website.  I figured, since I practically co-wrote the series, that it would be quite a lark to log in and pretend to be a fan.  I posted a comment about Olver being Gaidal Cain, which was my idea in the first place.  Well, I was greeted by a lot of nay-sayers and denouncers, calling me a fool for posting in the wrong thread or that it was such a bloody old topic.  I got quite a tickle out of all the theories and subsequent proof of these wild theories.  They actually doubt that Taim is Demandread! Can you believe that?

Uh...no...I can't believe that.  Well, sounds like you and Bob had a grand ole time.  :-\  *looks at her guest with a bit of a bewildered look on her face*  I seem to notice that men notice a great pair of eyes. 

Now on to the next question.  This ones easy.  What is the first peice of music you would like to share with us? 

*finishes taking a long drag on his pipe, then exhales*

Ahhh, thats some fine Two Rivers Tabac....*cough*.....ahhhh....

Oh, right, well my first Desert Island Disc is a smashing number that was by a fellow gleeman and one of my dear personal friends.  He taught me nearly every dance move out there, he has quite a lot of moves; however, many folks don't know this, but he is also quite the philosopher.  Yes, indeed!

His number one hit single asks the deepest, most intriguing question about love and how he pleads to not hurt any longer.  Yes, folks, for your listening and viewing pleasure, I give you....

....Haddaway singing What is Love? (Baby, don't hurt me!)  Cue that track, Briddy!!!!  ;D

Well now that I have recovered from that, we can move on.  Such a deep song.  ::)

Anyways, if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

And I can gaurantee a reply to your answer before 2 weeks.  :P

• 3 weeks later...

I would live in Harlem, New York.  Just past 105th Street, I would buy some land and really, you know, spruce up the place.  I really admire the housing plans of most of the houses of the deep South, so I would model my home after Terra from Gone With the Wind. 

And I would find ways to give back to the community.  I would use most of my land to grow fresh produce and cotton, and offer it to my neighbors at discount prices of course.  I would even offer after school programs for the kids to help pick the cotton, to learn the valuable lesson of a hard days work. 

At night, I figured we'd have a neighborhood bonfire.....maybe even host a charity concert, with Lynard Skinnard or Tobey Keith.  I think that would be a real hit.

• 1 month later...

Ah yes...well that is a very interesting thought.  :-\  BTW, it's spelled Tara...only reason I felt I needed to correct you is that it's my name.  ;)

So moving right along, please share your next piece of music and why you chose it.

Well, not a huge Wham fan myself I must say.  But good choice.  ;) 

So what would you say is your favorite music genre, and why.  Who is your all time favorite performer?

Also, you can give us your final song and then we'll get your list from ya.

Ah Elvis...the King.  Well, obviously our musical tastes run different paths...but it doesn't mean we still can't be friends right?  :P

Yes, your list.

Please tell us the song, the book and the luxury item you would take to yer Desert Island and why.

Archived