DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm BAAACK

Drea Raylin

*slowly recovers from her heart attack*

don't DO that, Ata... *shakes a fist* I'll get you back for that.. I'll.... I'll... do something!

Sweet! :) I'm at your disposal... metaphorically of course... please? ;)

Yes! RP! Let's RP! I have a "courtesan" (I've rped with her maybe... three times total...)

A courtesan in mid-16th century usage referred to a mistress' date=' especially one associated with wealthy, powerful, or upper-class men who provided luxuries and status in exchange for her companionship. In Renaissance Europe, courtesans played an important role in upper-class society, sometimes taking the place of wives at social functions.[citation needed'] As it was customary during this time for royal couples to lead separate lives—commonly marrying simply to preserve bloodlines and to secure political alliances—men would often seek sexual gratification and companionship from a courtesan. This was a large practice in Mughal India until the British Raj, where they were commonly known as tawaif and were often also skilled dancers. There have been a few isolated cases of courtesans providing services to wealthy females, however.[citation needed] Courtesans usually enjoyed more freedom than was typical for women at the time. For example, they were financially stable and independent. Being in control of their own resources meant that they did not need to rely on their spouses or male relatives to survive, as was the case for the majority of women. Or, another way it might be phrased: courtesans enjoyed fewer freedoms than were typical of women at the time, in that they were usually separated from familial ties[citation needed] for the sake of their social-functions; thus, without the co-ordination of a co-operative family-unit, courtesans were relegated to "fending for themselves".