DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hornsounder Holiday Edition: December 2007

Mystica

hornsounder_main2_december.jpg

Welcome to this month's edition of the Hornsounder!

Welcome Readers, to the new Holiday edition of the Hornsounder.

Now that the holidays are mostly past, most of you are probably awaiting the start to a new year and we at the Hornsounder are no different in that. Therefore your Hornsounder of December is centered around the Holidays with quite a few interesting and fun projects in which DM'ers from all Orgs can and have participated in.

In this month's Edition you can indulge yourself with special Holiday Recipes, read up on people's Holiday Traditions, and learn what the top songs of the season are.

We have a special piece this month to recommend one of our longstanding super members, Sir Horn of Valere.

The Hornsounder wouldn't be the Hornsounder though if it were to forget about it's core business, which is to bring you the news of the Band of the Red Hand and the updates on the other Orgs as you have grown accustomed to over the months.

So put up your feet, get that mouse under control and enjoy this month's edition of your newspaper.

Mystica,

Editor in Chief

JoTS Winner of the Month

This month's topic was: Raw Recruits.

And the winner: Bridmorgan of the Cavalry!

Congratulations, Brid :)

The winning JoTS:

Taste Like Chicken

Raw Recruits are fun to greet

Ever so delicious to eat

Kinda taste like chicken meat

To eat with Jak o' The Shadows

Whether with ketchup or brew

Sometimes tough, may have to stew

Although better as Bar-B-Que

To grill with Jak o' The Shadows

December's Headlines!

As our regular readers have come to know, the Hornsounder is divided into Sections, each handling a part of the newspaper and housing specific topics. I give you now a summary of what you can find in each Section.

You may find your interested parts quickly by scrolling to the Sections, which are clearly marked by their own Header as the one you see here on top. Subsections within can be recognized by their Blue color and therefore equally easy to recognize. To help you find your field of interest even faster, in the Headlines below you will find the page on which each Section is located.

A special Holiday Section is added to this month's edition in which various Readers offer you a glimpse into what makes the Holidays so special for them.

The Band of the Red Hand Section brings you the Word from our Marshal-General, puts the spotlight on those extra special Banders that earned one of the rare and prestigious Band Awards, introduces the Band's current Active Members, provides the results of the Band's Lottery, and you get the opportunity to smooch away on our Banders' birthdays .  A piece of Real Life News from our Banders reminds us of the people behind the words. Finally, Stefania is bringing us a summary of Banders' Music reviews.

The Regimental Section will effectively still your hunger for knowing what's been up with the Archers, Cavalry and Infantry this month. Check up on the antics of the Recruits while they visited every Regiment, whether a new Knight or Lady has been raised, if the Infantry gained a new Morat or maybe a new Blademaster even, or see if any Archers obtained the rank of Sora or who earned their Archer medals. 

In the Raw Recruits Section, our Executive Officer, La Brain Rummager Extraordinaire herself, Blademaster Taymist will fill you in on the latest updates on our Recruits and present you with the Recruit of the Month.

In the  Redarms Section our Redarm Leader fills you in on all the law breaking and spotfining activities that were found in the Band this month.

The Specials Section brings you a nice little collection of Columns and stories that will make you sit up and scream for more. The Columns Section this month brings you the next piece of Kristine's Infantry Nights and a new story from Lady StefaniaSedai's Thoughts! One Freelance Reporter has submitted an interesting piece this month.

Entertainment is the spice of Life! Or was it variety? Who cares... Get those braincells to working and claim those prizes! Join in on the Competitions and see if you are a wizard at Sudoku

The free standing Games on the other hand, offer a nice warm up for those that need it or a fun way of passing the time in those dead hours between earning points for your promotions.

If you played the ones from last month and want to find out how well (or bad) you did, you'll find the correct answers here too.

Check out the Jokes for a good laugh!

Dragonmount, our home. Find out the latest news that was reported to the Hornsounder about your ORG and those ORGs you don't know yet. We have news from almost every ORG.

In the Wheel of Time Section read all about the topic of conversation, turmoil, and uproar from DM this month!

Last but most definitely not least, the Editorial Section you can find out everything about the Hornsounder itself. What it is, how it works, who the slaving mad people are that make sure you get your newspaper full of interesting stuff each month and how YOU can be a part of it all too.

So there you have it folks. I hope you will enjoy this month's Edition of your Hornsounder thoroughly and if you have any ideas or suggestions that might make your Hornsounder Experience even more fun, don't hesitate to let us know.

Or maybe you too want to try your hand at being a reporter?

There's room in the Hornsounder for everyone, so don't let those doubting demons get the best of you. Jump right in and contact me through pm with any ideas for articles and/or projects you may have!

Until next month,

Mystica,

Editor in Chief

Sir F Horn of Valere

(By Taymist - UC)

January 1 2008 saw F Horn of Valere step down from his position as Under Commander of the Band of the Red Hand due to health concerns. It was a day of mixed sadness and joy. Banders were sorry to lose him from the Senior Staff but, of course, the Cavalry Regiment were delighted to have one of their favourite and loved sons return home.

HornHSPic.jpg

Sir Horn is an Arthurian Knight, indeed he was their Founder, and his time in the Band has exemplified the tenets of his Order: Dignity, Honor, Respect. He has upheld the charge given to those Knights to “Protect the innocent and weak, and uphold the law and justice.”

Horn joined the Band back in 2005 and, after a short stint as an Archer, he swapped to the Cavalry in September of that year and immediately made his presence felt as a Redarm. His exploits then earned him the name of Power Hungry Horn. Not long after, in November 2005, he was knighted by Sir WitchKing and became the proud rider of his warhorse, Maestro.

Going from strength to strength, Horn served in the Cavalry as Captain-General, Banner-Captain and Captain-General a second time. During the summer term of 2006, he was promoted to the Senior Staff, taking on the role of Executive Officer and revamping the Raw Recruit Programme and Points system. He also took on the mantle of Pendragon that term, the Head of the Arthurian Order.

His hard work and commitment to the Band have resulted in several awards recognizing his achievements:

Cavalry Regimental Award - December 12, 2006

Infantry Regimental Award – March 6 2007

Archer Regimental Award – December 16 2007

Matrim Award for Best Band Member of 2006 – January 7 2007

When the Matrim was awarded, Horn was also the recipient of gifts from each Regiment, along with the other Senior Staff. From the Cavalry, he received a black Freesian colt to train as a Warhorse, which he named Nocturne. It was specially linked to Horn by means of a small tattoo of a silver horse, a ter’angreal, one on him and one on the colt. 

As he already had a Bow from his time as an Archer, the Archers took his Bow and had a special weave laid on it so that only he could draw it. Horn named the bow Forte and was also given a ter’angreal Quiver, from which, any arrow used would find its target.

Lastly, the Infantry presented Horn with a unique sword named Truth along with the opportunity to train and test as a Blademaster. This was an opportunity that Horn was to take and a challenge that he faced with his usual courage and focus. Almost a year on, Horn has earned his title and is about to be inducted as a Blademaster and to choose his Blademaster name.

On June 3, 2007, Horn was finally promoted to the Senior Staff rank of Under-Commander, becoming second in command of the Band and in that role, he continued to work hard and tirelessly on behalf of us all.

Along the way, Horn found himself some very dear friends. Of these, he Banded Katiora and Lazy_Man and later, much to my delight, agreed to become my Warder and Bonded. In all of his friendships and dealings with members, he has been fair and even handed, making new people feel welcomed and settling various problems with a deft touch.

But don’t take my word for it. Have a look at what other Banders had to say when Horn announced he would be stepping down….

Sir Direwolf Jon, Cavalry Captain-General

You've been a fantastic XO and UC and I have to agree with Tay about the fact that your presence will be missed!

Sir Manriva, Redarm Leader

The Band will miss his turns at the wheel, we most certainly will. BUT! The Cavalry will have one of its true legendary figures back in the saddle and THAT... "Is A Good Thing." Thank You Ben for all your time, effort and now I learn, pain.

Corki, the Marshal-General

Firstly, I'm going to thank Horn for all his hard work, whether as Executive Officer and looking after recruits, or as Under-Commander and making sure points get done correctly, or stepping up to look after everyone when I have had to go on LoA. It has been a pleasure to have had Horn as a member of Senior Staff to work with and improve this ORG. He's been a great asset while being a member of Senior Staff, and someone I could truly trust with the Band, which I see as my baby!

Footman, Infantry Blademaster & Former Executive Officer

The work you’ve done for the Band far exceeds anything most others have done. You’ve risen through the ranks to not only take on the second-in-command, but to own it. You are, and always will be, the standard that any Bander worth their salt should strive for. I am awed by your dedication to this group, this organization.

Lady Bridmorgan, Executive Officer

Horn, more people here can say more eloquently than I can how much you mean to all of us and the dedication and work you have given to this Org has been done because you love this Org and it's members.

Apollo, Former Infantry Captain-General

Horn, you're brilliant.

In real life, Horn is currently serving with the US Army in Korea and was recently promoted to Sergeant. His love of the colour orange is infamous, not just at the Band but in the other Orgs he’s been a member of at Dragonmount and the other sites he belongs to. From his orange armour to trying to earn an Orange Sash at The Kin, Horn is nothing if not staunch in promoting it, providing many moments of hilarity for us all. This reverence stems, I’ve been told, from the kit of his favourite sports teams at home in the US, the Oregon State Beavers and the Cincinnati Bengals. Few things match this fascination but of those that do, the most obvious is Horn’s love for his family, in particular his young nephew, which shines through in conversations with him. The picture above captures that perfectly. Food, of course, is something anyone close to him will expect to be mentioned. It’s rare to have a chat go by without being informed at least once that he’s hungry!! Though it must be said, his choices on what constitutes edible food never cease to amaze me.

Horn, as Footy so succinctly put it, is what every Bander should aspire to be. Excellence in all he takes on, strength and good humour in the face of adversity and fairness in his dealing with everyone. He was one of the first people I met at the Band when I joined as a Raw Recruit and he impressed me from the start. It would be impossible to fill his shoes as I continue where he left off, so I can only hope to at least keep up his high standards. I am privileged to know him, to have his friendship and trust and am incredibly proud to be his Bonded.

Sir F Horn of Valere, we salute you and we give you our thanks for your time and unwavering dedication to the Band of the Red Hand.

holiday07banner.jpg

SPECIAL HOLIDAY SECTION

(coordinated by Bridmorgan)

Welcome back to the Special Holiday Section of the Hornsounder!  We're back to bring you more recipes for the season, more traditions and the final list of Top Holiday Tunes and Movies!  Thanks to all of you that have submitted and voted!! 

Recipes: Bridmorgan

Traditions: Arrandion

Top Holiday Tunes: Bridmorgan

Holiday Recipes

We have a couple of tasty treats for you to try this New Years or anytime!  Again, if you try one, drop us a line and let us know how it was!

Snow Pudding (Serves 4 - 6) - Serve with cold, thin Custard

(submitted by Elgee)

750ml Water

300 g (375 ml) sugar

50 g (100 ml) corn flower

5 ml tartaric acid

3 egg whites (use the yolks to make the custard)

Boil water & sugar together.

Mix cornflower with a bit of extra water to paste, then stir into the boiling sugar water and boil together for a few more minutes until the mixture turns clear.

Remove from heat, add the tartaric acid.

Whip the egg whites until very stiff, then fold into the mixture.

Pour into a bowl that has been rinsed with ice cold water.

Refrigerate until set.

Crab Wontons

(submitted by Bridmorgan)

8 oz. crabmeat

1 pound cream cheese

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Pinch of hot pepper (optional)

Worcestershire sauce to taste

Salt and pepper to taste

8 ounces wonton wrappers

Vegetable oil for frying, as needed

Preheat a pot of vegetable oil or deep fryer to 350 degrees. Mix crabmeat, cream cheese, cilantro and hot pepper in a mixing bowl. Season mixture with Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Fill each wonton wrapper with 1 tsp of the crab mixture. Moisten one edge of each wonton wrapper with a little water or egg wash. Fold and seal each wonton. Fry them in oil until browned. Do not fry too many at one time. Drain on paper towels. Serve with dipping sauces such as plum or mustard.

Sweet Potato Crunchies

3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed or 2 (15-oz.) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed

1 tablesthingy butter, melted

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup chopped pecans

1 teasthingy vanilla extract

2 tablesthingys flour

1/4 teasthingy cinnamon

1 large egg

3 cups crushed corn flakes

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add the butter, brown sugar, pecans, vanilla, flour, and cinnamon; mix well. Beat in the egg. Form the mixture into bite size balls and roll in crushed corn flakes. Place the sweet potato balls on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve with toothpicks. Makes 3 - 4 dozen. 

Chinese Chicken Wings

1 1/2 pounds chicken wings

1/2 cup red plum jam

3 tablesthingys soy sauce

3-4 drops hot pepper sauce

2 tablesthingys prepared horseradish

1 tablesthingy prepared mustard

Disjoint the wings and discard the wingtips (save for soup stock). Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place wings in a single layer on a baking sheet. Combine remaining ingredients and brush over the wings. Bake 15-20 minutes, basting frequently. Serve with Chinese hot mustard.

Raspberry Champagne

Scant 4 ounces Champagne

1/2 ounce Framboise

Frozen (not in syrup) raspberries

In a champagne glass pour chilled champagne. Carefully pour Framboise down the inside of glass. Add 2 or 3 frozen raspberries.

holiday07banner.jpg

Top Holiday Tunes and Movies

Top 50 minus 1 Holiday Tunes

(by Bridmorgan)

The votes have been cast and tallied and DMers have spoken!  We have the results of the Top Holiday Tunes as chosen by YOU!  Since there was such a diversity in voting and since the poll only allows you to vote for one choice only...*grumbles, should have paid more attention to the options*...there are many ties.  But hey, it was still fun to see what people thought were the best Holiday Tunes.  I want to thank all of you that submitted songs and voted.  You've made this issue of the Hornsounder a blast!  Thanks again!!  Without further gilding the lilly and no more ado..I give you the DM Top 50 minus 1 Holiday Tunes!!

Songs 49 through 23 tied with 1 vote each and are listed in Alphabetical order: 

#49 All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth  

#48 Aussie Jingle Bells  

#47 Christmas Island - Depeche Mode  

#46 Christmastime  

- Band Aid  

- Barenaked Ladies  

#43 Father Christmas -  The Kinks  

#42 First Snowfall  

#40 Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Lou Rawls  

- Greg Lake  

#38 I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas  

#37 I'm Getting Sued by Santa Clause -  Bill Engvall  

#36 It's Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - U2  

#35 Kidnap The Sandy Claws  

#34 Let It Snow - Performed by Lena Horne  

#33 Medley: Sing We Now of Christmas/O Come, O Come, Emmanuel/Emmanuel  

#32 Night Santa Went Crazy  

#31 O Come, O Come Emmanuel  

#29 Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer  

#28 Six White Boomers  

- Queen  

#26 The Chipmunk Song  

#25 The Dreidel Song  

#24 Under the Mistletoe  

#23 Where Will You Be For Christmas - Sting and Yolanda Adams

Songs 22 through 10 tied with 2 votes each are listed in Alphabetical order:

#22 Aussie 12 Days of Christmas  

#21 Betlehems stjärna (Star of Betlehem) - Anni-Frid Lyngstad 

#20 Do You Hear What I Hear?  

- Chris Rea  

#18 I Saw Mommey Kissing Santa Claus  

#16 Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree  

#15 Santa Baby  

#14 Silver Bells  

#13 The Christmas Song  

#12 What Child is This?  

-  Louis Armstrong  

- Trans Siberian Orchestra

Song 9 through 6 tied with 3 votes each are listed in Alphabetical Order

#9 12 Days of Christmas Redneck style  

#8 The 12 Pains of Christmas - Bob Rivers    

Songs 6 through 3 tied with 4 votes each are listed in Alphabetical order

#6 God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Bing Crosby  

- Adam Sandler  

#3 Merry Christmas Everybody - Slade

The number 2 song had a whopping 7 votes:

#2 Christmas Eve Sarejevo - Trans Siberian Orchestra

And the number one song was listed enough times in our original thread that it won without a vote. 

#1 O Holy Night

There you have it!  The Top 50 minus 1 Holiday Tunes as picked by the DM community!  Thanks again for participating and a very Happy New Year to you all!

Top Christmas Movies

(by Samuraiflip)

Well, gather round as it is done.  After much deliberation, excruciating moments of tallying, and a few regrettable ommissions, the top Christmas movies list is complete. 

Before I begin I would like to extend a special thanks to Emperor, for allowing me to host the vote thread at the Seanchan Org.  I would also like to thank the leaders of The Band, The Black Tower, The Kin, The Ogier, The White Tower and The Wolfkin, for allowing my errant "Advertisement" threads to remain active in order to recruit activity from the other orgs in the voting. 

That being said, before we rush off to the results, there were a few movies that were pulled from the list for a "lack" of official Christmas theme.  The movies were to either be about Christmas, or occur (In the movie) during the Christmas season.  The movies listed below were unable to fit into either of those catagories (To the best of my knowledge). 

If I am wrong on any of these I apologize.  I have not seen all of them and was forced to go by the IMDB synopsis for the movie.

Beginning our countdown of the top Christmas Movies(42 total), we will start with those movies having received 1 vote.  In no particular order here are the positions tied for 22nd (Pos-22-42).

There were a few movies that were hard to see left with only one vote.  Santa/Coming to Town, Gremlins, and Polar Express would top my list of movies that should have had more votes.  Think of what ones you would have liked to see score higher.

Moving right on up the ranks, there are 6 movies tied for 16th place (Pos. 16-21).  Each of these movies recieved 2 votes in the tally.  Again, in no particular order.

There was only one movie to receive three votes.  Sitting alone in the 15th spot.

Three movies battled for the 12th spot on the list with 4 votes each(Pos. 12-14).

Due to a tie in voting the "top ten" as been expanded to eleven.

Now is the time, we have reached The Final Countdown.  Eleven movies remain...who will walk away victorious?

And finally the moment you have all been waiting for...the piece de resistance...the crowning glory...the mother of all Christmas movies...the height of holiday inspiration...blahblahblah.

There you have it folks the top 42 holiday movies as chosen by the members of the Dragonmount Orgs.

Holiday Traditions

(coordinated by Arrandion)

Lady Stefania

Every New Year's Day, we in the deep south dine on a meal of black eyed peas and hog jowl (like bacon but tougher) in order to ensure good luck for the coming year. I personally don't care for that menu, so my husband eats dinner at my parent's house every year while I take my luck into my own hands!

Another tradition that I fall victim to is the superstition that whatever you are doing on New Year's Day, you will be doing all year long. For that reason, not a stitch of laundry gets done around here on January 1st! Of course, abstaining from the wash on New Years has not kept me from doing laundry during the rest of the year yet, but it never hurts to try!

Arrandion

1. Presents can be taken form under the Christmas Tree only when one of the kids spot first star on the evening sky. While kids are looking for the very first star, adults put gifts under the tree ;-) and one of them dress as a Santa Claus.

2. During Christmas Eve all gifts are taken from under the Christmas Tree and delivered to right person by the youngest member of the family.

3. Before Christmas meal the oldest person in our family gives a short speech and wishes everybody all the best.

4. There always must be 12 different dishes on the table.

5. One place is always left free for an unexpected visitor.

hornsounder16.jpg

Word from the M-G

Why Join the BotRH?

So, having read some of the activities the Band gets up to, you want to know more about the ORG? One of the ORG's focus is music, and the Band's other focus is travel. Banders are regularly writing reviews about any music album they own, whether it be old or new, as well as any gigs and concerts they have been to and various locations around the world they've visited. Responses to these reviews are encouraged, which gives Banders points, and these points allow for promotion through the many ranks in the Band. This is the basis of the ORG.

When you first join up with the Band of the Red Hand, you become a Raw Recruit. During this time, you experience life with each of the three Regiment (Archers, Cavalry, Infantry) and the Band itself as well so you get to know how the ORG works, and you don't get lost in your early days in the Band. After your three weeks of completing various tasks as a Recruit, you then pick the Regiment you wish to join and thus become a fully fledged member of the Band of the Red Hand. Also, once you picked your Regiment, you will be guided to become an Infantry Blademaster or a Knight of the Cavalry or an Assassin within the Archers.

However, the Band is not all about work. We have many fun activities going on within the ORG, ranging from simple word games to our ORG Game, created by Canis Rufus with the help of Mallett. Everything is based on the luck of rolling dice, so build up your stats to give yourself the chance of getting better rolls! Once you've taken the seven easy lessons, you can then challenge any Bander to a duel in the Arena and bring great glories to your name! Look out for Festivals of Games as another way to bring glory to your name! We are the only ORG to gamble as well, so create a Bank Account and join in the Lottery to earn some big winnings just like Mat!

As you can see, the Band is a place with a variety of activities, hopefully catering for everyone's needs. There are various activities for those who want points to go up the ranks, or fun and games for those who want to socialise. The Band is open to everyone, so come and join the fun at the best ORG at DM!

The Bands Lotto Winners - November

(By Bridmorgan)

I hope everyone is having a fantastic holiday season!  November only saw one Lottery game, but had some big winners.  With the Holiday season winding down, we'll be sure to see some more excitement in the Lottery!  Congratulations to November's winners!

November Lotto Winners

Climmhazzard - 10

Footy - 7

Froix - 6

Jea - 4

Uasal - 4

Kast - 4

Holiday Reviews

(by Lady Stefania)

Lady Kat brought us our only Holiday review this month as she filled us in on the places where she lays her head, Starkville-Columbus-Tupelo, Mississippi, USA. I personally found the most important part of her excellent review to be the picture of the one and only King of Rock and Roll's birthplace! I must add another stop on my yearly pilgrimage to Graceland to commune with the spirit of the Elvis (or as I refer to him to my children, the man who should have been your father!)

With all the holiday travel approaching, I just know that you Bnaders will have some great places to share about in the coming months, so get on over to the Holiday Review thread and tell us all about them!

Album Reviews

(by Lady Stefania)

Due to the approaching Christmas holiday, this Review reviewer had to cease with the reviewing a tad bit early this month, so my apologies to any reviewees that I might miss. I’ll do my best to pick you up in the New Year!

It was another busy month for the Album reviews! The Rock category took center stage with a whopping 7 reviews! Kastchei filled us in on albums by Blue Oyster Cult, Switchfoot, and Foo Fighters. Meanwhile, Direwolf Jon had his say on two different Dropkick Murphy releases and Demonspawn told us all about Queens of the Stone Age’s “Lullabies to Paralyze” and “Songs for the Deaf.”  Demonspawn also shared Slayer’s “Decade of Aggression” in the Metal category. Zeth Alley dropped by to review Gordon Lightfoot’s “Greatest Hits” and “The Best of Moody Blues.” Isharazang brought us a blast from the past with a Rap category review of the Beastie Boys and Kastchei got us all in the holiday spirit with the Trans Siberian Orchestra’s “Christmas Eve and Other.”

Lots of great music came our way in December, and I can’t wait to see what the Band will be listening to next! Head on over to the Album Review thread!

Gig Reveiws

(by Lady Stefania)

We had two Gig Reviews to talk about this month so far! The first was from Apollo, who was graced with tickets to Led Zeppelin at the O2 Arena in London. Although Kastchei thinks that his ears would have been bleeding before it was over, Apollo seems to have had a great time. Our second review came from samuraiflip as he shared about a concert by the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Sounds like they put on an awesome show!

Been to any good concerts lately? We'd love to hear about it! Drop by the Gig Review thread and fill us in!

Bander's Birthdays 6.gif

(by Bridmorgan)

December is the best birthday month ever.  Do you know why?  Cause my birthday is in December!  Ok, now I'm begining to sound like a narcissist.   ;)  Let me ask though, how many of you December babies got less presents because people would tell you this is for your birthday and Christmas?  Oh, I hate that!!   >:(

Well in the words of our EiC, Happy Smoochday to all you lovely December babies!!! 

alexbjt - 12/1

falcoofthelight - 12/1

hotwmoiraine - 12/2

arrandion - 12/3

cphuey123 - 12/3

arogan - 12/4

faile - 12/5

Ozhammer - 12/5

Sir Goldeneyes05 - 12/6

Heltor - 12/7

Jimmith - 12/7

Footman,DeathDealer, Pinkman and all his other names - 12/12

Sir Jon the Direwolf - 12/12

jaina0cor - 12/14

Pilgrim - 12/18

anarion - 12/20

Bridmorgan - 12/20

praynightfall - 12/20

pyro - 12/20

voidexile - 12/22

jackwalker - 12/25

samuraiflip05 - 12/27

valyonalmanive - 12/27

BeccaAnn - 12/28

Helike - 12/28

Bellanoire - 12/30

Ranking list of the Active Banders

(by Bridmorgan)

The ranks you see are based on the earning of ORG points and are arranged top to bottom. The top 3 positions are what we call our 'Senior Staff' and they are permanent and not linked to any points. The points based positions are divided between 'Commissioned' (= Officers) and 'Enlisted' (= Non-Officers) and can be achieved by any Bander willing to put in the necessary work.

Our newest members, the Raw Recruits, are not in this list as they get a special mention in the Raw Recruits Section further in this paper.

This ranking is based on the last promotion round: 15 November 2007

Senior Staff

Marshal-General: Corki

Under-Commander: F Horn of Valere

Executive Officer: Taymist

Commissioned Officers

Banner-CaptainsAuld Manriva, Footman, Mystica, Direwolf Jon, Twinflower

CaptainsUasal, BridMorgan, Apollo277

Lieutenant-CaptainsSteel Axe

Senior-LieutenantsKristine, Froix, North Star, Jeannaisais, Katiora

LieutenantsAmavia, Chaelca, Kara_J, Stefania, Dragonlover, Arrandion

Under-LieutenantsOdette, Cumadrin, 12th Regiment,  Dicetosser1, Kingkastchei, Son of Battles, demonspawn, Lanette

Enlisted

Master SergeantsLazy_Man, Emperor, Arogan, Talya, Silver89, Ashandarei, Safia al-Maaz, Zeth Alley

SergeantsAlishandra, Taluka, DSage, Faile, Feral,  lewstherin

CorporalsTigara, Climhazzard, Belar, Moose, Nynaeve, Samuraiflip05, Loranflame

Privates First ClassDiamondmask

PrivatesIron Monk

Bander's Real Life Stories

(compiled by Demonspawn)

Here it is again folks! Once more I have the privilege to relay the Real-Life events of the Band of the Red Hand over the past month. As ever this edition is a mixed bag of emotions. Good news often goes hand in hand with bad news, which is quite often the case. So without further ado, I shall begin

First off it is with great sadness that I bring sad, sad news from Lady Stefania. I am sure that every reader will join me in offering our deepest sympathy and condolences to Stefania and all of her family at this time.

Sad Tidings

(by Lady Stefania)

Here’s the announcement I never wanted to make: the child that I was so excited to share I was expecting last month, is not to be. It’s a difficult thing to wrap my thoughts around, how someone can be so real to you one moment, and then simply fade away the next. Oh, I know that from a medical standpoint there was no fading away. The doctors who have so frequently collected my blood over the last few days use words like “spontaneous abortion” and “miscarriage” and worry about my hormone levels; but to me, the little life that I carried inside of me, not only in my womb but in my heart, has simply vanished, leaving a gaping hole in both.

I knew the moment it happened. I think all mothers do. It is a sixth sense endowed in us by the Creator, a connection to those that we ourselves have had a hand in creating, that keeps us aware of their well-being. And in my heart I knew that the mystery of life, the magic that is the development of a new person, a new soul, had ceased to be.

My heart hurts. I cry at stupid things; diaper commercials and pictures in magazines. I told my 4 and 5 year old children that the baby that had been in Mommy’s belly wasn’t there anymore and they wanted to know why. I said that Jesus didn’t think that it was ready to be in my belly yet so He took it back. That night as I tucked my daughter into bed, she prayed, “Thank you Jesus for keeping our baby safe until it is ready.” And I cried for the childlike innocence that so easily absorbed the truth that was tearing me apart.

I pass a church on my way to work everyday. Today their sign reads, "God's Delays Are Not His Denials." I hope to be able to believe that soon.

We would have named him Lucas.

Next up is a quite unprecedented amount of engagements to announce… I mean, has someone been putting something in the water around here? I don’t know, but here we go…

2 engagements to announce

(by Corki)

Firstly, our first Executive Officer (or as it was called then Liaison Officer), Sitara, and secondly, everybody's favourite Australian Archer, Ozhammer!

Engagement No.3

(by Arrandion)

Here comes my important announcement:

I have proposed to my girlfriend and she said YES!   As from now I'm officially engaged. YAY!

Last but by no means least - Engagement No. 4

Another Amazing Engagement

(by Bridmorgan)

One more engagement to announce for the month of December. This one involves two Band members. As Horn says, the DM matchmaker strikes again.

It was another birthday, a great one because I had someone special to share it with. I celebrated it with my family and the love of my life. Later that night I was asked one of the most important, amazing questions of my life. Our Sir DJ, yes, our Sr. Editor, Joust Master extraordinaire asked me if I would marry him, and of course I said yes. Our wedding is set for June 6, 2009, I wish it could be sooner, but he has to finish his Master's degree first. So, needless to say, I'm a bit giddy, excited and absolutely ecstatic!

I shall now raise a glass in honour of all Banders celebrating engagements this month!! That done, on to the next piece of Real-Life news, which is from The Infantry’s Climhazzard

A true vote of Confidence

(by Climhazzard)

This past Saturday was one of my karate classes and I heard something that made me speechless and I still don't believe it. My friend was talking to our sensei about me! My friend told sensei that he wouldn't be as good as he is if it weren't for me and told sensei, that I'm a natural at martial arts. Sensei agreed with him and told my friend he sees me being the first black belt of the class!!!!! And sensei also told him that he would make me sempai which would basically make second in charge under sensei. I'm still astounded at this, and it makes me want to work even harder.

Since the festive season arrived this month, it is only fitting that we have a couple of  festive stories to share…

Boredom Inspires Cleaning… Someone’s gotta do it!

(by Jeannaisais)

Winter is truly here! The Christmas tree is up, holiday cheer is in the air, and best of all, school may get canceled. For the second day I ponder what I should use my time to do as the weather has prevented me from being tortured through the boredom of school.

Today much of my time has been spent online doing various things to help my regiment and have it well prepared for next term. However, yesterday I did much more than just sit at the computer all day. I read a book, and finished that book, exercised and, best of all (kinda) I cleaned! The bathroom, yes, the bathroom was hideous and needed help, my help. And I gave my help to it! Finally, the top story is near to spotless. Today I shall attack my room and make it spotless as well!

Asides from being inspired to clean by boredom, I am hoping to soon get my first book of a trilogy finished edited so that I can send it to a publisher! I shall keep you all up to tabs on this, and may even give you small excerpts from the story if you would so like!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

Infantry CG has a festive surprise… She has a life!!! Woohoo!!

(by Mystica)

Wow, I have a life!! Who knew...... *shock*

Are you ready for this? Are you? Really? Well I wasn't...

I'm home from work for 2 full weeks from Tuesday 18th up to and including January 1st.

Now, normally my Christmas and New Year would go something like this: Sleep late, wake up, hide behind the computer and/or television set and avoid all forms of actual life at all costs.

This year is a bit different though. I'm actually capable of claiming to hàve a life. Ok, granted, it's small and pathetic, but it's life. And it's mine. And I'm gonna boast about it, if it kills me.

On Sunday 23rd, I'm off to Lille (that's in France) to visit the Christmas market and on Christmas day I'm off to Brugge (that's in Belgium) to visit the annual Ice Sculpture museum.

I'll also be going to the yearly New Year's concert on Tuesday (if my date can get away from work in time, and if not we'll prolly end up skipping the concert and go straight to the Irish pub as you can't kill tradition, now can you??). And this year no sitting at home on Christmas Eve pretending it to be a night like all others as I'll be spending it with my Godfather and Aunt.

Told you it was small and pathetic, didn't I? Well you were warned. *nods*

My yearly Lord of the Rings marathon is also drawing near, which is always a source of excitement for me and I even bought a brand new DVD-player just to make sure my Christmas tradition isn't boycotted by some evil technological demon.

Tune in next month to read up on the patheticism (is that a word? well it is now) and find out how my extraordinary experience was like.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

**DS -  Patheticism is, alas, not a word… But I like it so much I shall petition the Oxford English Dictionary to have that fact remedied, under threat of bodily harm, and the wrath of Mystica!!!

Finally, I will share two pieces of good news on my part…

New Job Opportunity

(by Demonspawn)

This last year has been a very busy for me. I started the year in a new role at work, which was a completely new area of work for me. For starters, I was given three people to work for me… I had never been in charge of my own actions at work, never mind other people. Also I had a lot of computer work to do, which was new to me too.

But after working hard and proving myself in other fields of work over and above what was necessary, I have been rewarded with the opportunity of moving into the design side of the engineering team. I don’t yet know what the financial rewards are to be yet, but the chance to prove myself again is one I am looking forward to.

The Lurve Demon is off the Shelf

(by Demonspawn)

I’m sorry to announce that the Band’s most eligible bachelor is single no longer…

*Waits for the wailing of distraught females to die down*

… After three years I have finally managed to snare myself a woman of the female persuasion. I would not have announced this here if it were not for the irony of the situation.

For whatever reason, which I will not go into, I have never really liked the Scouse accent. Scousers are inhabitants of Liverpool, England. And I have recently been on the receiving end of the financially crippling attentions of the CSA (Child Support Agency). So, I have no love for the CSA.

Imagine my state of conflicting feelings when I started dating a woman who was from Liverpool… Then to add to the irony of the situation… On our second date she informed me she also works for the CSA no less…

Well, they do say opposites attract!

Well, that’s it for another month, I will sign out by wishing everyone the very best wishes for the New Year, and hope to get your continuing support by posting your Real-Life stories every month!!

hornsounder24.jpg

Archers

(by Sora Jeannaisais)

The Journey's Begin

Along with the giving and caring season of  Christmas comes the rekindling of the archer's regiment.  As some may have noticed, activity within the archer's realm had greatly dissipated, but we are working our way back. 

First and foremost we have our brand new Assassin Program.  Through this scheme archers will complete a multitude of tasks that will take them from being a mere apprentice to a full fledge Assassin.  Upon reaching assassin, they may take one of two paths, the Brotherhood of the Lily or the Brotherhood of the Rose.  Those who choose the Rose are wielders of the bow and arrow while those who choose the Lily thrive with daggers in hand. 

As an assassin, the archer becomes known by Sora or Prato, based on their gender.  Having completed the Assassin program myself, I am honored to take on the name of Sora Jeannaisais.  However, I am not the only one who has taken this journey underway.  Morrigan Blackthorn, Samuraiflip05, Emperor, and Dragonlover have all begun their Journey's as well.  Samuraiflip05 (or Sam as many call him) is nearing the end of his time as an apprentice and approaching his raising to a Journeyman.  The other apprentices are also advancing through their tasks as well, slowly but surely reaching that ultimate goal.

Other than the Assassin program, I am very pleased to announce the arrival of many new medals. Before I give way for Alishandra and her description of our new medals, though, I would like to give a warm welcome to IronMonk who has recently joined our ranks!  We are very excited to have him. :)

The New, the Improved, ARCHER MEDALS!!! (by Alishandra)

You may have noticed a few new pins floating around the Band, and an absence of older ones. The Archers are going through a time or rebuilding and renewal and to help signify these changes, our medals and awards have been re-made to reflect these changes!

Here are our new medals, and what they are for!

First we finally have a recruit medal! All recruits who have gone through the Archer training as a Raw Recruit and completed all their tasks are eligible for this award!

archerRRpin2copy.png

We also have a special award for the Archer of the Month, which is earned through competition between all members of the Regiment! It shows the month and year the Archer was awarded for!

Jan08.png

Then we also have a new medal for our Regimental award! This award is given to those who go above and beyond the call of duty as Archers to make the Regiment a better one, or to recognize people of other regiments who have helped to make our regiment as well as the Band a better place.

archerpin3.png

Then we have entirely new pins! They are pins given to our assassins upon completion of their journey and selection of their Brotherhood!

The Brotherhood of the Rose, wielders of bows and arrows are granted this pin of distinction:

brotherhoodoftherose2.png

The Brotherhood of the Lily, wielders of Daggers and throwing knives are granted this pin:

brotherhoodofthelilycopy.png

So now when you see these awards floating around you will know what they are, and what they stand for!

From the Horse’s Mouth ~ News of the Calvary!

(By Sir Jon the Direwolf)

Greetings from the Yard!!

The Rider’s of the Storm have been very busy this December! There have been some extensive posting, many involved in discussions, some Raw Recruits about, several members taking on the monthly competition festival for the second month, a couple of spotfines, and others have been taking part in various other things around the Band’s Camp. 

There was some very exciting news coming out of the Cav this month!!  Two of our members got engaged in RL and the two couldn't be happier!! Lady Brid and Sir DJ, yep that's me, got engaged on December 20th!! The Cav and the entire band wishes the pair many happy years together!!  Lady Brid and I can't wait to have things move forward!  Thanks to everyone of the Band for their well wishes!! 

New to the Cav this month, though it started partially in November, is the weekly discussion topicsSir Uasal, the Cav’s BG, starts a new topic each week in which people from through-out the Band are welcome to join in.  Some of the debates get really involved and people really stick to their sides of the argument.  Then other’s there is more of a variety of choices and everyone gets to express their own opinion.  The Cav and some of the other Banders seem to really like these new discussions.  Make sure to drop by the Yard and check out Easing the Badger, and give your opinion on the current discussion!

Congratulations goes out to Sir Manny for becoming the new Org Game Leader!!  His official title is Car Al’ Shen Daes Mar.  He went up against some stiff competition and he came out on top!  He’s looking to get more Banders involved with the Org Game, although he does like the current amount of activity in the game.  The game is really in his heart and he should really do the game some justice as the new leader.  I for one can’t wait to see what Sir Manny has in store for the game!  Congrats again on your new position Sir Manny, it’s an honor to serve with you!!

In other news:

The Cav’s Redarms have been unnaturally quiet this month.  In fact, there’s hardly been a spotfine given this month by the Cav Redarms.  Sir Steel has gone missing, and I think the trouble makers a breathing a small sigh of relief, but I know the RAL, Sir Manny would like his top spotfiner back as soon as possible.  Sir Manny has actually had to sit in on a few trials this month, but his lucky RA’s have won at least one trial, doubling the fine for Footy of the Infantry.  Maybe people are taking a little bit of a break from smashing the band rules to pieces and are avoiding those spotfines for the holidays.  Hmm…..this might actually be the best time to break the rules as it seems like no one is really paying attention. Let’s hope the RA’s didn’t read that last statement!

The beginning of the month brought five out of the astonishing fourteen promotions to the Cav.  Lady Kat and Sir Froix were promoted from Lieutenant to Senior-Lieutenant. Lady Stef was promoted from Under-Lieutenant to Lieutenant. Silver and Taluka were both promoted from Corporal to Sergeant.  Congrats to all of you, on your promotions for the beginning of the month!! The mid-month promotion period brought two of the seven promotions to the Cav.  Silver went two for two this month and was promoted again this term.  He was Sergeant to Master Sergeant. Feral was also promoted this term.  She was promoted from Corporal to Sergeant. Congratulations to the both of you on your promotions for this term!!  Keep up the good work Cav!! Here’s to more promotions coming in the next month!!   

Sir DJ announced the start to his new Interregimental Jousting Competition. He is happy to have this second competition under way this month.  There is a lot of promise in this one, though it’s a bit sad that our XO, Taymist and winner from last time, was unable to participate.  This means that there will be a new winner, and the trophy will be given out just like last time.  Eight lucky contestants signed up for their chance to get their hands on that trophy.  Which of the eight will walk away as champion?  We’ll just have to keep watching and find out!  That would be something to see, the new winner versus Taymist. I’ll look into that and see what I can do about setting that up!  I’d just like to say good luck to all eight of you who entered, and thank you for entering!!  Let’s grab them lances and hit the arena!  May the best jouster win!!!!

Congratulations go out to Recruit Ishy on receiving his Cavalry Achievement Pin!!

There were a surprising seven birthdays celebrated in the Cav this past month.  Captain Huey celebrated his birthday on the 3rd.  Arogan celebrated his birthday the very next day, the 4th.  Faile celebrated her birthday on the 5th.  Keeping the streak going, Sir Goldeneyes celebrated his birthday on the next day, the 6th.  Adding one final day to a five day stretch of birthdays, Heltor Helton celebrated his birthday on the 7th.  I had myself a birthday this month, in which I celebrated it on the 12th.  My most lovely banded, Lady Brid finishes out the Cav birthdays this month as she celebrated her birthday in style on the 20th.  The Cav would like to wish the seven of you a very happy birthday and we hope that you all had wonderful days filled with lots presents and cake and brew.  We in the Cav would like to say again, Happy Birthday and many happy returns!!

The Cav would like to congratulate Lady Twinnie, on receiving her Regimental Award and thank her for all her hard work on the Horse Caverns.  She has gone above and beyond by going through all the past threads that are archived and has put together a history of all the Cav members.  She has gone back and added all the Jousting information, the reviews information, and all of the JotS information for every member of the Cav that has achieved the rank of Squire. It’s a pretty heavy job to do, and she did an outstanding job on it!! The Cav would like to thank you again Twin, and we’d like to say Congrats again for receiving your Regimental Award.  It was well deserved!!

So there you have it….from the Horse’s Mouth for December!

Jousting Arena

(by Lady Bridmorgan)

joust-1.jpg

Welcome back to the Jousting Arena!!  This past month was incredibly exciting.  We had Raw Recruits against Knights, Pages against Knights, and the most exciting of all was the return of the Inter-Regimental Joust Cup!!  Now hang on to your hats, and get ready for some excitement!

Raw Recruit Jousts

RR Iron Monk vs. Sir DJ

Our first Joust pitted Raw Recruit Iron Monk mounted on Darei against the Cav LG and Joust Master Extroidinare, Sir DJ on his magnificent beast, Storm DancerDJ started us off by asking Iron about a Forsaken which the Recruit answered with ease.  He retaliated with a question about Lan and his Bond and DJ showed his smarts by answering correctly.  DJ then asks Iron about King Lamen and Iron gets it right!  He then asks our Joust Master about Graendal which of course he answers correctly.  DJ asks his last question about the Panarch and Iron proves he's not afraid of the Big Bad Wolf by answering correctly.  Iron's last question to our Knight is about an Ambassador to Salidar, and once again, DJ proves why he's the Joust Master by being correct.  Final Score:  0 - 0 Tie!

RR Isharazang vs. Sir Uasal

Our next RR Joust had RR Ishy mounted on Incendie battling Sir Uasal on his sexy beast, Little John.  After some light hearted bantering and some pinching *glares at Uasal* the Joust got underway with Uasal asking Ishy about Mat's weapon, which he answers correctly and then asks the mighty Uasal about a gift from Aviendha.  Sir Uasal answers perfectly and retaliates with a question about Petra from Valan Luca's show.  The drunken Recruit answers and barely stays on his horse as he shouted his next question to Uasal about a book Min is fascinated with.  Uasal, slightly distracted by the crowd, but able to answer easily.  He then asks Ishy about a ship Captain, which stumped me, but Ishy managed to answer correctly!  What are they feeding these Recruits?  Ishy then asks Uasal a fill in the blank question about Dark Hounds, which Uasal answers without breaking a sweat.  Final Score:  0 - 0 Tie!

Squire Jousts

Both of our Squire Jousts were between Arthurian Knights and their Squires.  They were edge of your seat excitement!!

Squire Taluka vs. Lady Bridmorgan

Our first Squire Joust has Squire Taluka on Firestorm facing off againster her Knight, Lady Brid on the hottest horse in the Cavalry, AragornBrid asks the first question, regarding an Asha'man, which her Squire answers with ease.  Taluka then asks Brid a question about a sigil and house head that almost stumped Brid, but she finally got the right answers.  Brid then asks Taluka about some Trollocs which stopped her Squire in her tracks.  Never one to let a small smash to the torso stop her, Taluka asked Brid about Alivia, which Brid answered correctly.  Brid asked her final question to her fantastical Squire, regarding Ghealdan.  Taluka rebounds once again to answer it with ease and more than expected.  Taluka's final question to Brid was in regard to the Mera'din and Brid answered it right.  Final Score:  1 - 0.  Brid wins!

Squire Horus vs. Sir Uasal

Our second and final Squire Joust has Squire Horus riding Ghostwind facing off against Sir Uasal on Little JohnUasal asks the first question about a Spring that Horus answers with no problem!  Horus then asks his Knight about an Amyrlin Seat, and once again, shows what it means to be a Knight and answers correctly.  Uasal retaliates with a question about Someshta, which his Squire answers incorrectly.  Another one not to be stopped, Horus then asks Uasal about someone Rand killed, and Uasal answers correctly, albiet, not the answer Horus was looking for but correct none the less.  Uasal asks his final question of his Squire regarding Tar Valon, which Horus answers with ease.  His final question to his Knight involved the Ancient Tounge which Uasal answered perfectly.  Final Score:  1 - 0. Uasal wins!

Inter-Regimental Joust

Sir DJ should be proud of the turnout for the 2nd Inter-Regimental Joust.  Sadly, our last Champion, Taymist, could not enter but it's very exciting none the less.  There 2 Infants,  4 Archies and 3 Cavies entered into the Competition.  The first round will continue to the 15th of January unless all Jousts are finished before then.  Two are finished and two are still underway.  The line-up is:

Kast (Infantry) vs. Horus (Cavalry) - Ongoing

Froix (Cavalry) vs. Brid (Cavalry) - Finished (Brid wins)

Kara (Infantry) vs. Jea (Archers) - Ongoing

Dice (Cavalry) vs. Sam (Archers) - Finished (Sam wins, Dice forfeits)

Next month will have a detailed report on the Jousts once they are all completed.  All were well done and I'm sorry to see that Dice won't be able to continue due to RL issues.  Dice and Sam's Joust actually ended in a tie. 

Till next time, keep your lances sharp and your minds sharper if you want to win a Cavalry Joust!!!

Raw Recruit Round-up

(by Lady Bridmorgan)

The Yard has been pretty quiet in regards to Raw Recruits this month.  Currently we have Forgotten Sword who has just started his time with us.  We'll have a more detailed report on his antics next month.  Our other Recruit this month is Blade Tosser whom we seem to have misplaced.  I'm on my way to speak to Dice to see if he's waylaid our recruit.  ;)  We're looking forward to meet new recruits next month!

Squirehood, Road to Knighthood

(by Sir Jon the Direwolf)

There has been a good deal of activity in the squire caverns of the Cavalry this month.  There have been 3 squires that have continued to be active this month.  All three are members of the chivalrous Arthurians!  Let us now see what these squires have been up to this month!

First, we’ll start with Squire Feral.  She’s completed her training and is now just trying to earn points to achieve knighthood.  She’s well on her way to earning the points necessary for being knighted.  Currently, Feral holds the rank of Sergeant.  She only needs to obtain 24 points in order to be knighted.  You’ve done well so far Feral, we know that you’ll be getting the needed points soon!!  Just keep pushing forwards!!

Next we have Squire Silver.  He finished his joust against Sir Uasal this month, but it was the knight who taught his squire how to joust properly, winning 1 hit to no hits.  Just like Feral, Silver only needs to earn more points in order for him to become a knight.  He’s moving up the ranks very quickly and he will soon be ready for knighthood. Silver currently holds the rank of Master Sergeant.  He only neesds 12 more points in order for him to be knighted!  You’re almost there Silver, keep up the good work!! 

Our last squire this month is Squire Taluka.  She too has finished her joust, this time against the lovely, Lady Brid.  Once again, the knight showed the squire how it was done, winning by a score of 1 hit to no hits.  She too, only needs to earn points in order for her to be knighted.  Just like her banded, she is moving up the ranks very rapidly and is within two promotions from being a knight.  She currently holds the rank of Sergeant and only needs to earn 16 more points in order to be knighted.  You can do it Taluka!! Just keep working at it and you’ll be a knight before you know it!!

It most certainly looks as though January will be a busy month.  There will probably be two or maybe even three knighting ceremonies next month. Each of these three has worked very hard to get to where they are now and the Cav are proud to have them as members! We all can’t wait to see these three become knights!!  Keep up the great work you three!! 

Welcome to Infantry Row!

(by Demonspawn)

Welcome to this month’s instalment of Infants Row, where I bring to you all of the juicy gossip from the Barracks. This month has saw arrivals and departures, awards, and not forgetting promotions. So without further preamble I shall enlighten one and all!

PROMOTIONS

December was another good month for the Infantry with regards to promotions. There were no fewer than 8 promotions… Way to go Infants!!!

Dec 15TH

From Lieutenant-Captain to Captain

Capt. Apollo277 of the Infantry

From Master Sergeant to Under-Lieutenant

Udr. Lt. Kingkastchei of the Infantry

From Sergeant to Master Sergeant

MSgt. Zeth Alley of the Infantry

Dec 1st

From Under-Lieutenant to Lieutenant

Lt. Arrandion of the Infantry

From Master Sergeant to Under-Lieutenant

Udr. Lt. Demonspawn of the Infantry

From Sergeant to Master Sergeant

MSgt. kingkastschei of the Infantry

MSgt. Talya of the Infantry

From Private First Class to Corporal

Cpl. Climhazzard of the Infantry

Well done one and all for showing your dedication and commitment to the Band and the Infantry!

*Cracks open a Barrel or two of Guinfantry*

A LOSS FOR THE INFANTRY AND THE BAND

December also saw the Departure of the Infantry and the Bands favourite sons… The wearer of the dreaded Pink Loin Cloth, The Man The Myth the Foot will no longer be able to devote as much of his time and attention to the Band, due to RL commitments. While he assures us he will be dropping in from time to time, he will be missed by all members of the band, not just the Infantry.

Here is the post by Footy announcing his farewell

Around about August of 2005, I found a place at DM called the Band of the Red Hand. Within that Organization was a Division called the Infantry. I joined immediately. Jur, Idennis, Cam, and I were the main active members at the time. The Taverns were in the single digits, and we drank Infantry Brew. Much has changed, least of which was my user name. Now we kick back in the twentieth odd tavern, or any one of the multiple watering holes we have in the Barracks. Instead of not having enough members to staff even the basic positions, you can't walk two steps without running into an Infant. We aren't divided into our Divisions; we are reunited in our Regiments. When we raise a mug it is filled with Guinfantry (I love that name!), and many, many people raise their glasses for an Infantry toast. I’ve been C-G, L-G, RA, RAL, and maybe even B-G for this Regiment. I left for a few months to try my hand at Senior Staff, but I came back. I left the Band and could have chosen a new Regiment, but not really. There was no choice for me.

I’ll swing by from time to time to be amazed at the changes, but for all intent and purposes, I’ll be gone. To the relief of the Redarms, and to the irritation of the Infantry, I bid you, adieu.

This is a sad day, not only for the Infantry, but for The Band as a whole!! We are losing one of the funniest, maddest, pinkest guys I know...

You will be sorely missed Footy!

Good luck to you for the future! And pop in to see us from time to time!

A SPECIAL AWARD

For the second consecutive month the Infantry has presented the Regimental Award to one of its members… Congratulations Kara!!

Here is the speech as delivered by CG Mystica

Stepping forward, Mystica took a moment to take in the view before her and as always a jolt of pride and satisfaction shot through her from top to bottom. These here were her Brothers and Sisters. This was her home. Her family.

Shifting her eyes to Kara, the CG smiled and couldn't stop from getting a sense of superpride in her former Mahdi.

My fellow Infants,

Dear Senior Staff,

Honored Friends,

Sacred Brew!

I have called you here today for an occasion that lies very close to my heart.

As most of you know, our Kara was the first Infant ever to undergo the Mahdi program and I had the honor and priveledge of being her Morat. Needless to say that this lady has done me, the Infantry and the Band in general pride on more than one occasion. That is àfter a certain disciplinary matter set her aright on the nature of the official Infantry Brew  Which some of you may remember.

To say that Kara has been an asset to our Regiment and the Band would be a gross understatement. This woman has excelled in everything she's done and that's quite a bit. As a Recruit she was loved and welcomed by every member of the Band, regardless of Regiment. I was her RLO, so I know this for a fact  She tackled any and all tasks given to her with eagerness, willingness and her usual flair of 'Look Mummy, I'm geuuuuud'.

As a Mahdi she continued on that path and had us all up in roars of laughter more times than I can remember. She graduated together with JR after undergoing an interesting challenge from our LG, Footman, and as a Senior Infant has continued to show us the best of what an Infant is made off.

Stepping ever further on the road of a true warrior and keeping in mind the lessons she's learned along the way, she excelled as our Senior RLO, bringing in one new Mahdi after another, most of which are now on the verge of finishing their own Mahdi program and each of them a jewel and a treasure that has increased our Regiment in numbers but more importantly in fun, togetherness and the overal Infantry Spirit.

Today, our Kara is our Banner General, and as always and has become a signature of all this lady tackles, shows an example to all those that would aspire to the post.

Turning towards the BG, Mystica smiles widely and beckons Footman closer with the cushion on which laid a nicely decorated wooden box.

Kara, it is my great honor and immense pleasure to be able to hand this award to you. Whether it was faith or shere luck that made me CG in time to present this to you, you have been a shining light in my life on these boards from the moment you arrived to this day where you stand here looking like a woman that's just been proposed to.

Accept then now, My Recruit, My Mahdi, My BG and My Banded, this Infantry Regiment Award for all that you have done for our Regiment and the example you have set for those that came after.

Taking the award out of the box Footy had opened, Mystica hands it over to Kara and saluted her Banner General sharply and with a huge grin on her face.

InfRegAwardPinClear.gif

Congratulations Kara!

That’s about all there is to say this month, except…

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE INFANTRY!!!

hornsounder18.jpg

Raw Recruits of the Band

(by Taymist, XO)

For any future Banders out there, the Raw Recruit Programme is how we initiate all new members to our Org. Each Recruit spends a week with our three regiments in turn, doing fun tasks and getting to know members. At the end of the three weeks they may choose a Regiment to join.

During the month of December we had two Recruits graduate and one of those received their RR Stripe!!! They were Iron Monk and Straith.  Straith joined the Infantry as a Private First Class and was almost immediately promoted to Corporal and Iron Monk joined the Archers as a Private. Samurai finally made his choice, having graduated in November, and he chose the Archers too. Congratulations to both Regiments.

The Outstanding Recruit of the Month is the Recruit that has stood out to me as being the most motivated and dedicated. The Outstanding Recruit must excel amongst his/her peers and a reward for this prestigious title is the prize of one org point.

The Outstanding Recruit for the month of December is: Straith

Don’t forget to offer your congratulations the next time you see him!

Lots of laughter was heard around the Band this month courtesy of our RRs and their antics. New recruits abounded and the Infantry experienced the intrigue of Tharengore’s Fortune Telling, the surprisingly painless Medihut run by Darrow, Christmas Music entertainment from Isharazang and an overly affectionate Santa in his Grotto in the shape of Forgotten Sword.

Isharazang and Forgotten Sword lit up the Range as well, interviewing Archer members and running a pub together whilst providing entertainment in the form of stories, jokes and music. The Archers are now welcoming Bladetosser to his recruit week.

The Cavalry meantime had their usual Jousts with good showings from both Bladetosser and Isharazang. Ishy was also hot on the trail of a criminal in his Whodunnit Task providing much amusement to all the suspects.

Of the Recruits choosing Regiments the updated final statistics for the year 2007 are:

20 - Infantry

16 - Cavalry

10 - Archers

A late recovery by the Archers was encouraging to see and all credit to their RLOs and CG for making the Range a fun place to be. We hope that trend will continue this year. Well done to everyone who contributed over the course of 2007.

Current RLO contacts after the start of the Christmas Term:

Staff will be announced within the next few days at Dragonmount. Until then the RLOs from last term will continue to cover.

I’d also like to welcome Lady Bridmorgan to her new post as Executive Officer (XO). She will be taking over this column from me as of next month. I’m sure she’ll continue the high standards expected of the role and I wish her the best of luck for the New Year. For myself, I offer my thanks to all Banders for their support during my tenure as XO. It’s been a pleasure and an honour.

hornsounder19.jpg

The Redarm Report

(by Auld Manriva )

It would appear another year has come and gone... Funny how that happens. Why can't my noisy arse Harley ridin' neighbor do that.. It's only 1210am and the redneck knucklehead is blastin' up and down the street like it's broad arsed daylight. At least there ain't gunshots goin off like there used to be around Hollywood and LaBrea Blvds...

Now THAT place was bad for a person's health. Not near so bad as some neighborhoods but when I started hearin' Russian instead of Spanish in line at Ralph's in Hollywood, down the hill on Sunset ... Well that does tend to inform one that the demographic of the neighborhood had changed once again. So I moved from L.A. back  to LA (lower alabama) once again. Here in the heart of Redneck Meth Lab Country and just up the street from 1988 Cadillac's and 07 Acura's with 22's and 6 12" woofers. But I get back at em'.  I get a deer in the headlights eyeballin'  most days when the 88 Merc with a light bar and a 6 foot long whip on top with writing on the door pulls up next to some smoke filled whip with a couple of red eyed young fellers' holdin their breath, at a stop light... Pretty funny reactions when they see the old goateed, hawaiian shirt wearin dude drivin it!

It's been a pretty good couple of years for the Redarms. Almost 270 Spotfines given out, over 40 guilty verdicts for trials .. Heck this year alone Steely had 38 spotty's and 3 guilty verdicts .. Since the start of 06 The Archers have had over a hundred spotfines, and the Infantry and Cavalry both with right at 75... Pretty good lawbreakin if I do say so m'self ... actually.. no if about it.. I just DID say it!

It seems the biggest lawbreaker in 07 was our lad 12th.. with 20 odd spots in less than a year (he was sporadic with his attendance) of posting AND he was RAL for a time as well!.... Nicely Done 12TH!! But Sei'Car (Goldeneys, Junior, The Other Steel) was hot on his heels.. And HE wasn't here all the flamin time either!! Nice use of time lads! Very efficient!

I want to thank every single Redarm who has worked this year. It's not always a thankless job, but most times. You all have made it fun this year and that's what bein' a Redarm in the Band of the Red Hand is all about... I tip my trinket encrusted headscarf to each and every one of you.

For 2008 I have a mostly new crew to start this new season of corruption, including my new RA2IC (Razic) Katiora and Inspector Steel. Ms. Northie makes a re-appearance in the Police Station after a long absence as does Chaelca and Iron Monk join them from the Archers. Daetirion, Climhazzard and Kastchei from the Infantry round out my cast of miscreants this term. Please welcome them into your hearts (and likely your POCKETS) as their job is not an easy one.. though we try hard to make it appear that way.

FROM ALL OF US TO ALL OF YOU.............

Let's Be Careful Out There!

hornsounder20.jpg

Welcome,

How to get your story in the Hornsounder?

Do you have interesting, funny, weird, general stories that you'd like to share but that don't quite fit in any of the other sections?

Then don't hesitate to contact me by pm to present your idea/topic and next month your story could very well be published in Hornsounder.

In here you could find:

- the full articles of summarized pieces found in the other Sections

- the loose articles from Banders and Non-Banders that are not assigned to any one Section

- independent and Sectionless projects and coverages

- various undetermined pieces of work from both Banders and Non-Banders

The articles and coverages that are posted here can cover any topic, be it about WOT, Band, DM related topics or anything else that might be of interest to share with our readers.

Now without further hesitation, I wish you a lot of reading pleasure with this month’s collection of articles.

Mystica,

EiC

Colums

*Infantry Nights*

(by Kristine)

Kris would forever wonder what possessed her to think that Sakan Gaidin might not be able to handle things without her, but at that point in history, she could not have justified leaving him alone. When Sakan had told her to check the room she had, all opposition was neutralized and down. Mar, Krynn had escaped, and Na'curean looked tired, but not dead. That is when she saw Sakan boldly rush into the hall. She ran after him, short sword picking off several of the men that had gotten into the room, and with them she was forced back into the hall.

She was not short for a woman, but amid the armor clad men, she was a dwarfed.  She held her ground, slicing her way, she thought, back to the cell, to safety, when she heard the door slam shut. Wild eyed, fear rushed through Kris as she backed away from the men. The cold feeling of the night she killed her father and his friend flooded into her mind. She was alone, and they knew that she was a woman. Snarling a bit, she forced herself to listen to them.

"Back away, she might try some of her witchcraft."

"Why hasn't she yet?"

"The oaths, fool, she can't use the Power unless she's threatened. As bloody good as she is with that sword, she hasn't been threatened yet, our Luck holds."

"She do look to be young, Commander."

"She's a witch.  That is blame enough for her. Be careful, we need to get her to the Questioners."

Kris had been backing away from the circle of men when her back struck a solid mass. She tried to look over her shoulder to see what it was, and realized her mistake too late. The shout of now was all she heard as she spun, back against the wall, to fight the circle of men. At the same moment, the door to the cell burst open and Sakan stormed out.

"Her Warder! She knocked the door down so he could get the jump on us!" One of the guards stated in a heated voice. Kris was penned against the wall, sword no longer in her hand, her short hair was matted with blood, some hers, but most was the blood of others. Her hands struck as fast as she could, 'The Power' they called it. She whimpered when a fist slammed into the side of her head, but she fought on.

She could no longer see Sakan, she realized, the group around her was so thick. In a small voice she whispered, "I meet the Creator with a clear conscience, knowing I protected a sister." Another fist slammed into her temple and she collapsed.

Vaguely she was aware of being carried, she knew she was not dead, but she could not force herself to open her eyes, fight or move. She heard someone cry her name, and a fog rolled in again.

Her eyes slowly opened as she fought for consciousness. She felt sick to her stomach could not figure out what the bitter taste was in her mouth. She must have fallen asleep in the library after a meeting with Wintrow, the new Head Gaidin and her Tutor in reading. The lights burned her eyes through closed eyelids as she tried to make her hands move.

"She's coming to, Inquisitor."

Reality came back in a rush. Her gasp of pain was sharp as she tried to jerk away from the bonds that held her. She could not see the person that stood over her, only feel the heat radiate from an object in his hand. She then realized that she was not acting like a Cadre, but a sniveling woman, and assumed the void.

That action alone made her head spiral in pain, but she fought it, and held on for all she was worth. Out of hazy eyes she looked at the man with the brand. She felt the burn as the iron was laid against the soft skin of her wrist. She did not cry out, it was as if it was someone else's pain. Her look was bland, but her jaw was clenched. The man pulled the hot iron away and Kris saw the letter 'W' on the end, glowing a bright red. She could smell the smoke, tried not to gag over the smell of burnt flesh as the man came towards her again. This time he had no iron in his hand, just a sickening smile.

"Well, Witch, do you recant your sins and acknowledge that all Aes Sedai are Dark Friends and serve the Dark One?"

"I am not an Aes Sedai." Kris said through cracked lips. Her throat was dry and she sounded choked, trying to keep the void while the world was rolling was hard. The smack that came from the man made her head snap to the left. Her shoulders ached from being stretched straight to either side of her. The only support she had was the wall to her back. Kris raised her head back to the middle and glared hard at the man before her. She heard the door open and heard greetings of "Welcome, Questioner."

She began to tremble, out of fear, out of fatigue, out of realizing that she would not be able to be brave for much longer. Her only hope was that her capture would allow for the others to escape.

Kris couldn’t see the man that entered, nothing registered with her senses except for the pain.  Another voice welcomed the new inquisitor. “Come in, the Witch is ready to be questioned.”

Sakan entered dressed in inquisitor’s robes, but Kris was not able to tell it was him, so she felt no relief from her master’s presence. It was a small room, with two chairs and a table. Kris was bound arms outstretched on either side of her against the wall.  Her eyes were open but blurred by pain and drugs. In one chair sat the first inquisitor and the other chair was empty. On the table was a piece of parchment, a declaration of being a darkfriend and denouncing the Shadow, a quill and ink, various objects that looked painful, and a cup of something. In the fireplace, on the other side of the room, a fire was blazing, and a red-hot poker was in its stand. Sakan noticed a W burned into Kris’ wrist, and his blood started rushing. He quickly snatched a hold of the Void, deliberately calming himself down.

Sakan walked over to the table and picked up the cup, smelling it.

“Forkroot?” he asked.

“Yes, my Lord,” the first man answered. “The best medicine for keeping a Witch from practicing her Evil.”

“You fool!” Sakan roared, throwing the cup down on the ground. “Forkroot does nothing! It makes them sleepy! It does not keep them from being able to,” he wrinkled his face, and said with disgust, “channel.”

The man was obviously startled. “But.. but.. I…”

“Do not question me!” Sakan waved his hand in the air. “Go! Get me some Blackwell root! Now!” He bent forward, leering at the man unpleasantly.

“Yes, my Lord. Of course, my Lord. At once, my Lord.” The man bowed several times, and backed out of the room.

He looked at the other Inquisitor – the real inquisitor – warily. “I take it you have not yet wrung a confession out of this lying witch.”

The inquisitor appeared not to notice. He shook his head. “No, she has said nothing. I thought that these Tar Valon witched could not lie?”

“It is all a part of their mask. They are dirty, lying minions of the Shadow. Of course they will say they don’t lie! Can you ever imagine a liar saying that he wasn’t telling you the truth?”

“No, I suppose not,” the Inquisitor admitted.

“You must be new,” Sakan walked over to the man, grasping his shoulder. “You have not seen all of the evil, in all its forms. Why, once I saw a five year old girl hung.”

“She was a darkfriend?”

Sakan nodded.

“How did we know?”

Sakan shrugged. “She confessed.”

The inquisitor tried to answer, but found that he couldn’t as Sakan’s free hand crushed his throat. Eyes wide, gasping for breath, the dying man, tried to draw his sword. Pulling out a knife, Sakan quickly sheathed it in the man’s chest, and pulled it out again, slowly letting the man drop to the ground as he died. Sakan wiped his knife on the man’s white cloak, right over top of the red shepherd’s crook, before sheathing it again in his sleeve.

The door burst open, and the small man entered, carrying a jug and a cup.

“Good!” Sakan stood up. “You have returned.”

“What…?!”

“He was a traitor; a darkfriend in disguise. He attempted to kill me, so that I would not exact a confession from this evil scum. See how he had tried to draw his sword. It is fortunate that I was quicker than he. Now go, find someone to clear away this mess!”

“Yes, my Lord!” the little man scampered out again.

Sakan quickly shut the door, and smelled the jug that the man had set on the table. “Blackwell root,” he told Kris, as he brought it to her. “It will help the headache you have from the forkroot.” He took out his knife and cut her bonds, and gave her a cup to drink. “Now we need to get out of here, and find a way to leave – fast.”

Kris trembled as her bonds were cut and the blood flowed back into her fingers. She bit her lip to keep from screaming as she lost the void and the pain from the burn in her wrist cramped her right hand. The angry red W stood out from the pale skin of her arms as she pulled it to herself and cradled the wounded limb.

"Kris, come on, I know you hurt, but focus, we need to get you out of here." Sakan looked at her with concern, but there was steel in those dark eyes that commanded obedience. She stood with effort and walked towards Sakan, her eyes fixed on his face, but seeing the face of the men that she had to kill to save her own life when she was twelve years old. The focus and hate that was in her mind made it easier to place one foot in front of the other. She walked on until she was standing before Sakan.

Inhaling a shuddering breath, she placed her hands in back of her, wrist crossed. She bit her lip again in pain, but did not whimper. With hurt filled smoke gray eyes she looked up at Sakan. Her voice was raspy as she spoke. "You can't just walk out of here with me unbound.  That would look suspicious."

"Kris, you are a brave person."

"I don't feel it right now, I just want to curl up on my bunk in the barracks and cry." She sniffed, trying to see the face of the man that had always stiffened her backbone, but it was fading. She felt the ropes loosely cross her wrist as Sakan led her out the door.

"Inquisitor! What are you doing?" Several guards had come with the man to clear away the body of the real inquisitor. Kris made her face immobile as possible, looking angry, defeated and in pain all at once.

"I have decided to recant of my sins; the great inquisitor is taking me to the Cleansing Room, so that I may be washed free of my crimes, before I am killed. I cannot control what is in me, there is only one way to rid me of that." Kris said it with a trembling voice, and she hoped that the others were buying it.

"Congratulations, Inquisitor, you broke this one fast."

"She was young. Now, go, take the traitor and dispose of him, while I care for this poor wretch." For a bit they walked in silence. When the hall was clear, Sakan whispered, "You have a quick mind, Kris, but be careful that it doesn't jump ahead of you."

"The only place it is jumping is home, I hope. Sakan, I can't walk another step, I can't..." The pain had become too great; she slumped to the floor, hoping that the path home was near.

~@~

“Light, Kris!” Sakan reached over and grabbed Kris’ coat, slowly lowering her to the floor. She was exhausted. She had given much more than she had taken, but she had been through a nasty, extremely outnumbered fight, she had been knocked unconscious, beaten, otherwise mishandled, had a W branded into her wrist, which would scar if it was not healed soon, and she had been fed forkroot, which numbs the body. It was no wonder that she was unable to push herself any further. Sakan did not know of many who would heave been able to push themselves that far. Still, they were in mortal danger. He had some means of protection, wearing the cloak of an Inquisitor, but that only extended so far. If more than a handful of whitecloaks came, he would not be able to hold them off.

Suddenly a thought crossed his mind. “Kris, the keys!”

“Hmm?” She asked groggily. “Oh, right…” She reached for her belt, and pulled out the ring of keys that they had stolen from the guard that he had killed. She had tucked it behind her belt after opening the closet.

Sakan lifted her up and gently carried her to the first room. He hurriedly placed her on the ground, and put his ear to the door. Voices.

“Blood and ashes,” he growled quietly, swiftly picking her up again. They moved to the next door, and he put his ear to it. Silence. Trying each key on the ring, Sakan hurriedly attempted to open the door. Finally he heard a click, and the lock sprung open. He pushed the door inwards, and carried Kris in. Locking the door behind them, he heaved the large wooden table with all his might and carried it over to the door, placing it directly in front of the large, oaken doorframe. Spots whirled in front of his eyes from the effort, and he took a few deep, cleansing breaths.

He lifted Kris onto the table, and laid her out flat, taking his color shifting cloak out from his shirt and placing it under her head. He untied a small bag from his belt, and began sifting through a few small packets. Generally, Gaidin never needed to worry about medicinal herbs, since they were with Aes Sedai. But having been away from the Tower for many years, unbonded since Sairi, he had come to rely on a few key herbs. He opened one packet and began chewing on the leaves, sifting through the other packets. When he found the one he wanted, he removed the chewed leaves from his mouth and placed them on the raw, red wound on Kris’ wrist. He then took a couple of pieces from the packet and placed them in Kris’ mouth.

“Willow bark,” he said. “Chew it, and suck the juices. It will help make the pain go away.”

As she chewed on the analgesic, he paced back and forth.

“We have to think of something,” he said. “We can not continue to bluff our way through this. We have been extremely lucky so far, but we can’t depend on luck. It is only a matter of time before they return and find us missing. They are surely already suspicious. As soon as they find us gone, well – they may realize that the body of the gaidin was never accounted for, and put two and two together.”

Sakan paced the room like a leopard stalking its prey, thinking desperately for a plan, while Kris lay on the table, gaining her strength. If only Na'cueran would turn up, or Mar and Krynn. He knew the chances were miniscule, but he hoped, while trying to devise an alternate scheme.

Raw Recruit Articles

Bela, The Amazing Horse

(by Isharazang)

She first appeared to us pulling a cart to the Winespring Inn, she was abreast of two men by the names of Rand al'Thor and Tam al'Thor. Her name was Bela, and she was instrumental in many instances of the book, including the escape of Egwene and the rest of the group from the Two Rivers when it was razed by the Trollocs.

She is quite unremarkable in terms of looks, a plain carthorse, yet she has amazing strength and endurance. She also has incredible tolerance of things, and courage enough for strong men and women. She has kept control of herself through battles with Trollocs and Myrddraal, to have done that, and have experienced the One Power through Moiraine and not gone crazy is no small feat.

In addition She has borne a host of key characters, some of whom are Egwene, Rand, Tam, and Siuan. This simple, and plain horse is instrumental to key bits of the story, if there was no Bela, which horse would've carried Egwene out? Which horse would've brought Tam and Rand to the Winespring? Which horse would Min have ridden to the Tower?

Bela is a extraordinary horse, and she has proved it throughout the story, and will prove herself even more in the future.

hornsounder21.jpg

November Competition Winners

(by Bridmorgan)

November saw the return of the Scavenger Hunt and Word Scramble after a couple of months off.  I for one was glad to see them back.  Sadly, no one felt brave enough to step up to the challenge of the Word Scramble but hopefully we'll have a taker this month!  We had four winners in total for November, 1 for the Sudoku and 3 for the Scavenger Hunt.  I'm hoping to see more of you play this month!!

Sudoku

We had one winner this month, the undefeated, too smart for our own good, the Band's own XO extroidinaire....Taymist!!  Congratulations Tay!  Bob tell her what she's won!

Weeeellllll Taymist, you've won the all inclusive 3 Game Points and the roundtrip November Sudoku Pin!!! 

Thanks Bob, now onto the Scavenger Hunt

Scavenger Hunt

We had 3 winners this month.  2 from the Cavalry and 1 from the Infantry.

First up with a score of 18.5 out of 20 is the Cavalry CG, Bridmorgan!! 

Next up with a score of 17 out of 20 is Cavalry RLO, Lady Stef!!!

Our final winner, witha  score of 16.5 out of 20 is the Infantry Lt., Arrandion!!!

"YAAAYYYY!!"  she says in her best Grover impression.

And now Bob, tell them what they have won!!

Wweeeelllll, Bridmorgan, Lady Stef and Arrandion, *pant, pant, deep breath*  You've all won the four wheel drive 5 Lottery Chips and it includes a roof rack November Scavenger Hunt Pin!!!

Thanks again Bob!  You might want to go rest now...

Alright folks, that's it for the winners for November, now go play the puzzles for December!!!  You can start the New Year off as a winner!!  Happy New Year all!!

December Competitons

HS Scavenger Hunt for December

(by Talya)

Test your knowledge of the World of Wheel of Time.

Instructions:

Below you find 20 questions to which you are to find the answers. This time there is a mix of General Knowledge and WoT. Use whatever means necessary but to pass you'll need to get at least 12 of the 20 questions correct.

Rules:

- PM your answers to Talya before 20th January 2008

- Any answers posted on the boards automatically results in disqualification

- Only the first pm sent in will be considered. So make sure you double check on typos and if you aren’t sure yet of your answers take the time to check them out. No additional answers or corrections will be accepted.

Winnings:

- Band members that win will receive 5 Lottery Chips + HS Scavenger Hunt Medal Pin of the Month

- Non-Banders will receive the HS Scavenger Hunt Medal Pin of the Month

- Prizes will be handed out in a thread on the public board of the BoTRH on DM.

1. Who built the Kontiki Raft?

2. Who was the Black Sister that Moiraine killed in NS?

3. Who was Lan's mentor and friend?

4. What are Seanchan animal handlers called?

5. How many known Stedding in the “known world” are inhabited?

6. In NS, who were the next strongest Sisters after Cadsuane?

7. Which are the most intelligent of the Seanchan "exotic" animals?

8. Who became Amyrlin after Bonwhin was deposed and what was her Ajah?

9. Which other Amyrlin from the Red Ajah was also deposed?

10. What is the Aiel Waste called in the the Trolloc tongue?

11. Who actually makes Sea Folk porcelain?

12. Who are Joline's Warders?

13. What are the Star of Africa and Cullinan II?

14. What woman was Germany's most famous spy in WW1?

15. Where would a Vietnamese deposit his dong?

16. What was the name of Artur Hawking's second wife?

17. In what year did Laman Damodred take the throne of Cairhien?

18. What was the Capital city of Eharon (one of the 10 nations)?

19. What was Lanfear's real name?

20. What were the alleged last words of Julius Caesar?

Word Scramble for December~ Open to Everyone

(by Talya)

As I had no one even attempt these I though I would put them up again. They are places in and around Randland, can you unscramble them, of course there maybe a letter missing or added, or maybe not. Have fun

Rules:

- submit your answers by PM only to Talya before the 20th January 2008.

- you don't need to find all the answers to be a winner. The 10 top answers will decide the winners.

Winnings:

- Banders will earn 1 ORG point towards their promotions

- Banders and non-banders will earn the SH award pin of May.

- All winners will receive their prize in a ceremony on DM and have their name published in the next edition of Hornsounder.

1. Ramie Nose

2. Massif In Moot Nut

3. Weenie Forth Jog

4. Lards Wend Nod

5. Dream Roan

6. Rainfall Hot Ski

7. A Nomad Profiles

8. Handler Melee Rent

9. Rewove Nests

10. Hard Has Mar

11. Deacon Arm

12. Afar Yam Robe

13. Lace Moles

14. Seaplane Gin Rill

15. Arachnids Tinged

Sudoku for December~open to everyone

(by DirewolfJon)

Instructions:

Below you find a Sudoku puzzle level 3. Your job is to fill in the missing numbers using numbers from 1 to 9 only.

If you'd like to practice a bit, you can find an easy and a medium level sudoku puzzle in the Games section, a little further in the Hornsounder.

--> type the numbers per row in the proper order and send your answer to Direwolfjon in a PM before 20 January 2008.

Rules:

- each number can only appear once in every row, every column ànd every square

- only answers sent in a PM will be valid, any posting of possible answers on the boards will result in immediate disqualification.

- you are only allowed to send in ONE pm, so make sure you double check your answers before sending them in.

Winners:

- the first 6 correct submissions will determine the winners

--> these will be split between: 3 Banders and 3 Non-banders if enough participants play. If not, it will simply go to the top 6 players.

- in case of a tie, the date and hour of submission will determine the winner.

- the winners will be announced in a ceremony together with the other competitions on the public board of the Band on DM ànd will be mentioned in the next edition of Hornsounder.

Winnings:

- For Band members: 3 Game Points + Sudoku pin!

- For Non-Band members: Sudoku pin!

- For all winners: announcement in the next Hornsounder Edition + Public Ceremony & Party at the public Band boards on DM.

Now get those grey cells cracking!

SudokuHard-CompDecember07.jpg

December games

Sudoku

Easy

SudokuEasyDecember07.jpg

Medium

SudokuMediumDecember07.jpg

Answers to Last Month's Games

Competitions

Scavenger Hunt

1. Who has apparently been bestowed with the title Nae’blis and what was their original forsaken name and AoL name? Moridin, Ishamael, Elan Morin Tedronai

2. What is Mats fate according to the Aelfinn? To marry the daughter the Daughter of the Nine Moons, To die and live again and live once more a part of what was. To give up half the light of the world to save the world!

3. What is a two-step and why is it called that? It is a small brown snake of the Aiel waste. It is called such as it is said to be so poisonous that it’s bit kills before the victim can take more than two steps.

4. Which Aiel befriended Mat and then tried to kill him resulting in her death by his hand? Melindhra

5. Finish this quote: “The creator is good, Perrin. The father of lies evil. The Pattern of Age, the Age lace it’s self is………….? Who said it? Neither and Moraine said it

6. Name the 5 known Ta’veren. Artur Hawkwing, Mabriam en Shereed, Mat Cauthron, Perrin Aybara, Rand al’Thor

7. Where did Elan Morin get beaten by Lews Therin? The gates of Paaran Disen

8. What percentage, in the AoL, of the population could learn to channel? 3%

9. Name 5 of ‘The compact of the Ten Nations. Aelgar, Almoren, Aramaelle, Airidhol, Coremanda, Eharon, Essenia, Jaramide, Manetheren, Safer

10. When is the Feast of Lights held? A two day celebration starting on the last and shortest day of the year

11. Who is Mistress of Novices under Elaida a’Roihan? Silviana Brehon

12. Name Leane Sharif’s deceased Warder? Anjen

13. Who is currently Mistress of Ships? Zaida din Parede Blackwing

14. Who is Commander of the Legion of the dragon? Davram Bashere

15. What were the Daughters of Silence? Two former accepteds who gather 23 other women who could channel and began teaching them.

16. Who is the last known dreamer? (not including Egwene) Corianin Nedal

17. Who was stripped of her stole for nearly destroying The White Tower and which Ajah was she originally from? Bonwhin Meraighdin, Red Ajah

18. How does Ran get his ‘Dragon Sceptre?’ When it was fired througt the gateway as he and Aviendha returned from Seanchan, it was cut in half as the gateway closed.

19. Which Ship did Rand, Mat and Thom jump onto when escaping Trollocs from Shadar Logoth? Spray

20. What and where is Kabal Deep? A deep bay that lies between the eastern shore of Altara and the western shores of Illian.

Sudoku

SudokuHard-CompNovember07Solution.jpg

Games

Easy Sudoku

SudokuEasyNovember07Solution.jpg

Medium Sudoku

SudokuMediumNovember07Solution.jpg

Jokes

Why men have better friends

(by Silver)

Friendship Between Women:

A woman didn't come home one night. The next day she told her husband that she had slept over at a friend's house. The man called his wife's 10 best friends. None of them knew about it.

Friendship Between Men:

A man didn't come home one night. The next day he told his wife that he had slept over at a friend's house. The woman called her husband's 10 best friends. Eight of them confirmed that he had slept over, and two claimed that he was still there.

Disorder in the Court

(by Taluka)

These are from a book called Disorder in the American Courts, and are things people actually said in court, word for word, taken down and now published by court reporters who had the torment of staying calm while these exchanges were actually taking place. It's worth reading to the end! Those of you who have worked with attorneys will find this very easy to understand...

ATTORNEY:  What is your date of birth?

WITNESS: July 18th.

ATTORNEY: What year?

WITNESS:  Every year.

ATTORNEY:  What gear were you in at the moment of the impact?

WITNESS:  Gucci sweats and Reeboks.

ATTORNEY:  This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at  all?

WITNESS:  Yes.

ATTORNEY: And in what ways does it affect your  memory?

WITNESS: I forget.

ATTORNEY: You forget? Can you give us an example of something you forgot?

ATTORNEY:  How old is your son, the one living with you?

WITNESS: Thirty-eight or thirty-five, I can't remember which.

ATTORNEY: How long has he lived with you?

WITNESS: Forty-five years.

ATTORNEY:  What was the first thing your husband said to you that morning?

WITNESS: He said, "Where am I, Cathy?"

ATTORNEY: And why did that upset you?

WITNESS: My name is Susan.

ATTORNEY:  Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo?

WITNESS: We both do.

ATTORNEY:  Voodoo?

WITNESS: We do.

ATTORNEY: You do?

WITNESS: Yes, voodoo.

ATTORNEY:  Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

WITNESS: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

ATTORNEY: The youngest son, the twenty-one-year-old, how old is he?

WITNESS: Uh, he's twenty-one.

ATTORNEY:  Were you present when your picture was taken?

WITNESS: Would you repeat the question?

ATTORNEY:  So the date of conception (of the baby) was August 8th?

WITNESS: Yes.

ATTORNEY: And what were you doing at that time?

WITNESS:  Uh....

ATTORNEY:  She had three children, right?

WITNESS:  Yes.

ATTORNEY: How many were boys?

WITNESS:  None.

ATTORNEY: Were there any girls?

ATTORNEY:  How was your first marriage terminated?

WITNESS: By death.

ATTORNEY: And by whose death was it terminated?

ATTORNEY:  Can you describe the individual?

WITNESS: He was about medium height and had a beard.

ATTORNEY: Was this a male or a female?

ATTORNEY:  Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition notice which I sent to your attorney?

WITNESS: No, this is how I dress when I go to work.

ATTORNEY:  Doctor, how many of your autopsies have you performed on dead people?

WITNESS: All my autopsies are performed on dead people.

ATTORNEY:  ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?

WITNESS:  Oral.

ATTORNEY:  Do you recall the time that you examined the body?

WITNESS: The autopsy started around 8:30 p.m.

ATTORNEY: And Mr. Denton was dead at the time?

WITNESS: No, he was sitting on the table wondering why I was doing an autopsy on him!

ATTORNEY:  Are you qualified to give a urine sample?

WITNESS:  Huh?

And the best for last

ATTORNEY: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?

WITNESS:  No.

ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?

ATTORNEY: Did you check for breathing?

ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?

ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure,  Doctor?

WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

ATTORNEY: But could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless?

WITNESS: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law.

A Tale of Two Diaries

(by Taluka)

WOMAN'S DIARY

14 May 2007

Saw him in the evening and he was acting really strangely. I'd been shopping in the afternoon with the girls and was a bit late meeting him thought it might be that. The bar was really crowded and loud, so I suggested we go somewhere quieter to talk.

He was still very subdued and distracted so I suggested we went somewhere nice to eat. All through dinner he just didn't seem himself - he hardly laughed and didn't seem to be paying any  attention to me or to what I was saying. I just knew that something was wrong.

He dropped me back home and I wondered if he was going to come in. He hesitated but followed. I asked him what was wrong, but he just half shook his head and turned the television on. After about ten minutes of silence I said that I was going upstairs to bed. I put my arms around him and told him that I loved him deeply. He just gave a sigh and a sad sort of smile. He didn't follow me up immediately but came up later and, to my surprise, we made love - but he still seemed distant and a bit cold.

Cried myself to sleep -I think he's planning to leave me - maybe he's found someone else.

MAN'S DIARY:

Monday 14 May 2007

Eagles lost.  Gutted.  Got a shag though.

The Language of Women

(by Taluka)

1. Fine:

This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

2. Five Minutes:

If she is getting dressed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

3. Nothing:

This is the calm before the storm. This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end in fine.

4. Go Ahead:

This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

5. Loud Sigh:

This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to #3 for the meaning of nothing.)

6. That's Okay:

This is one of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. That's okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

7. Thanks:

A woman is thanking you, do not question, or faint. Just say you're welcome.

8. Whatever:

Is a women's way of saying F@#$

9. Don't worry about it, I got it:

Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several

times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking "What's wrong?" For the woman's response refer to #3.

The Good Ole Call Centre

(by Taluka)

Actual  call centre conversations!

Customer:    "I've been ringing 0800  2100 for two days and can't get through to enquiries, can you help?".

Operator:    "Where did you get that number from, sir?".

Customer:    "It was on the door to the Travel Centre".

Operator:    "Sir, they are our opening hours".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung  Electronics

Caller:  "Can you give me the  telephone number for Jack?"

Operator:  "I'm sorry, sir, I  don't understand who you are talking about".

Caller:  "On page 1, section 5, of the user guide it clearly states that I need to unplug the fax machine from the AC  wall socket  and telephone Jack before cleaning. Now, can you give me the number for Jack?"

Operator:  "I think you mean the telephone  point on the wall".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

RAC  Motoring Services

Caller:    "Does your European Breakdown Policy cover me when I am travelling in Australia ?"

Operator:  " Doesn't the product name give you a  clue?"

Caller :  (enquiring about legal requirements while  travelling in France ):

"If I register my car in France , do I have to  change the steering wheel to the other side of the car?"

Directory  Enquiries

Caller:  "I'd like the number of  the Argoed Fish Bar in Cardiff please".

Operator:  "I'm sorry, there's no listing. Is the spelling  correct?"

Caller:  "Well, it  used to be called the Bargoed Fish Bar but the 'B' fell  off".

Then  there was the caller who asked for a knitwear company in Woven.

Operator:    "Woven? Are you sure?"

Caller:  "Yes. That's what it  says on the label; Woven in  Scotland ".

On  another occasion, a man making heavy breathing sounds from a phone box told a worried operator:  "I  haven't got a pen, so I'm steaming up the window to write the number on".

Tech  Support:  "I need you to right-click on the Open  Desktop".

Customer:  "OK".

Tech Support:  "Did you get a pop-up  menu?".

Customer:  "No".

Tech Support:  "OK.  R ight-Click again. Do you  see a pop-up menu?"

Customer:    "No".

Tech Support:  "OK, sir. Can you tell me what  you have done up until this point?".

Customer:  "Sure. You told me to write  'click' and I wrote "click'".

Tech  Support:  "OK. In the bottom left hand  side of the screen,

can you see the 'OK' button displayed?"

Customer:  "Wow.    How can you  see my screen from there?"

Caller:  " I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realised that  I need it.  If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file  back again?".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's  always one. This has got to be one of the funniest things in a long time. I think this guy should have been promoted, not fired. This is a true  story from the Word Perfect Helpline, which was transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department. Needless to say the  Help Desk employee was fired; however, he/she is currently suing the Word  Perfect organization for "Termination without Cause".

Actual dialogue  of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee. (Now I know why they  record these conversations!):

Operator:  "Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?"

Caller:    "Yes, well, I'm having  trouble with WordPerfect."

Operator:  "What  sort of trouble??"

Caller:    "Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went  away."

Operator:  "Went away?"

Caller:  "They  disappeared."

Operator:  "Hmm So what does  your screen look like now?"

Caller:  "Nothing."

Operator:  "Nothing??"

Caller:  "It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

Operator:  "Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get  out??"

Caller:  "How do  I tell?"

Operator:  "Can you see the C:  prompt on the screen??"

Caller:  "What's a sea-prompt?"

Operator:  "Never mind, can you move your  cursor around the screen?"

Caller:  "There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

Operator:  "Does your monitor have  a power indicator??"

Caller:  "What's a monitor?"

Operator:  "It's  the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a  little light that tells you when it's on??"

Caller:  "I don't know."

Operator:  "Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that??"

Caller:  "Yes, I think so."

Operator:  "Great. Follow the cord to the  plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall.

Caller:  "Yes, it is."

Operator:  "When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just  one??"

Caller:  "No."

Operator:  "Well, there are. I  need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

Caller:  "Okay, here it  is."

Operator:  "Follow it for me, and  tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

Caller:  "I  can't reach."

Operator:  "Uh huh.  Well, can you see if it is??"

Caller:  "No."

Operator:  "Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over??"

Caller:  "Oh,  it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."

Operator:  "Dark??"

Caller:  "Yes - the office light  is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the  window." 

Operator:  "Well, turn on the office light then."

Caller:  "I can't."

Operator:  "No? Why not??"

Caller:  "Because there's a power failure."

Operator:  "A power......... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now.  Do  you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in??"

Caller:  "Well, yes, I keep them  in the closet."

Operator:  "Good. Go  get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you  got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

Caller:  "Really? Is it that  bad?"

Operator:  "Yes, I'm  afraid it is."

Caller:  "Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them??"

Operator:  "Tell them  you're too ******** stupid to own a computer!!!!!"

Results of Damage Testing

(by Silver)

It seems the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has a unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane's windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies.

The theory is that if the windshield doesn't crack from the carcass impact, it'll survive a real collision with a bird during flight. It seems the British were very interested in this and wanted to test a windshield on a brand new, speedy locomotive they're developing.

They borrowed the FAA's chicken launcher, loaded the chicken and fired. The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, went through the engineer's chair, broke an instrument panel and embedded itself in the back wall of the engine cab. The British were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

The FAA reviewed the test thoroughly and had one recommendation: "Use a thawed chicken."

Requesting a Three Day Pass

(by Silver)

An Israeli soldier who just enlisted asked the Commanding Officer for a 3-day pass.

The CO says "Are you crazy? You just join the Israeli army, and you already want a 3-day pass? You must do something spectacular for that recognition!"

So the soldier comes back a day later in an Arab tank!

The CO was so impressed, he asked "How did you do it?"

"Well, I jumped in a tank, and went toward the border with the Arabs. I approached the border, and saw an Arab tank. I put my white flag up, the Arab tank put his white flag up. I said to the Arab soldier, "Do you want to get a three-day pass? So we exchanged tanks!"

Differences Between Men & Women

(by Silver)

NICKNAMES: If Gloria, Suzanne, Debra and Michelle go out for lunch, they will call each other Gloria, Suzanne, Debra and Michelle. But if Mike, Phil, Rob and Jack go out for a brewsky, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Godzilla, Peanut-Head and Useless.

EATING OUT: And when the check comes, Mike, Phil, Rob and Jack will each throw in $20 bills, even though it's only for $22.50. None of them will have anything smaller, and none will actually admit they want change back. When the girls get their check, out come the pocket calculators.

BATHROOMS: A man has six items in his bathroom-a toothbrush, shaving cream, razor, a bar of Dial soap, and a towel from the Holiday Inn. The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 437. A man would not be able to identify most of these items.

GROCERIES: A woman makes a list of things she needs and then goes out to the store and buys these things. A man waits till the only items left in his fridge are half a lime and a soda. Then he goes grocery shopping. He buys everything that looks good. By the time a man reaches the checkout counter, his cart is packed tighter than the Clampett's car on Beverly Hillbillies. Of course, this will not stop him from going to the 10-items-or-less lane.

SHOES: When preparing for work, a woman will put on a Mondi wool suit, then slip on Reebok sneakers. She will carry her dress shoes in a plastic bag from Saks. When a woman gets to work, she will put on her dress shoes. Five minutes later, she will kick them off because her feet are under the desk. A man will wear the same pair of shoes all day.

CATS: Women love cats. Men say they love cats, but when women aren't looking, men kick cats.

DRESSING UP: A woman will dress up to: go shopping, water the plants, empty the garbage, answer the phone, read a book, get the mail. A man will dress up for: weddings, funerals.

LAUNDRY: Women do laundry every couple of days. A man will wear every article of clothing he owns, including his surgical pants that were hip about eight years ago, before he will do his laundry. When he is finally out of clothes, he will wear a dirty sweatshirt inside out, rent a U-Haul and take his mountain of clothes to the Laundromat. Men always expect to meet beautiful women at the Laundromat. This is a myth perpetuated by re-runs of old episodes of "Love, American Style."

OFFSPRING: Ah, children. A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and soccer games and romances and best friends and favorite foods and secret fears and hopes and dreams. A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

Dating Hints for Men

(by Silver)

There are lots of ways to ruin a date. Here are a few things NOT to say on a date...

I really don't like this restaurant that much, but I wanted to use this 2-for-1 coupon before it expired.

I refuse to get cable. That's how they keep tabs on you.

I used to come here all the time with my ex.

Could you excuse me? My cat gets lonely if he doesn't hear my voice on the answering machine every hour.

I really feel that I've grown in the past few years. Used to be I wouldn't have given someone like you a second look.

It's been tough, but I've come to accept that most people I date just won't be as smart as I am.

hornsounder22.jpg

Organisations (ORG)

(coordinated by Mystica)

*THE KIN*

(by Taymist - XO)

December at The Kin has seen a ton of activity, so let’s get right down to business.

We had 2 new members this month in the shape of mmeeshal and Esperanza. Welcome to both of you. There were also Raisings again this month as Samuraiflip05 and Sorandha became Green Sashes and Faerielin joined the Purple Sashes. Congratulations to all and especially Fae as she fairly flies through the ranks.

The Spammers’ Challenge thread has been busy as ever and is up to an incredible page 503 and post 6034. They may make their target number sooner than anyone thought. Why not stop in and help it along?

The Christmas Card Exchange and the Secret Kinster Holiday Exchange were both hugely successful as members were delighted by the surprises dropping through their post boxes. The joy will continue into the New Year as a few people were running late…. all the more fun we say!!

Another announcement this week from Jaydena brought concern and well wishes from everyone at the Kin as she told us about the difficulties with her pregnancy. We all have you in our prayers Jade and hope things improve soon.

Twinnie’s Holiday Trivia competition has gone down a storm and members are working on Sets 17 and 18 at the moment. Meantime, the Tuatha’an are continuing their travels through the Orgs and are making themselves at home with the Kin at the moment. Food and dancing abounds. Elegant Eldest Lor brought a touch of hilarity to Christmas with her Go Elf Yourself thread. Do take a look at the Kinsters shaking their stuff, it’s just the funniest thing!!

Well, that’s it for another month, feel free to visit and join in with the crazy Kinsters. Visitors are always welcomed.

*White Tower*

(by Bridmorgan)

Wow!  Another year has gone by here at the White Tower!  It's been an exciting year with new members, raisings, and the change of bringing everything over to DM.  Things are going really well and we look forward to a prosperous, fun filled new year. 

Raisings:

Accepted

Nephitiss - Red

lewstherin - Red

Aes Sedai

Rasheta - Green

Manishma

Barmacral

News from the Blues

We all want to send love and condolences to Charis al'Aslan who lost her father on December 4th.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Blues held a discussion on what DM members were doing for the Holidays including where they are going and what their traditions are.  Some great replies from Blues and non-Blues alike.

News from the Browns

The Browns are holding a discussion week with the Reds.  Some great discussions are being held including Gender Roles, where there are some strong, insightful replies on feelings on what is thought of as the traditional roles of males and females and how they are changing and evolving in modern times.  Another discussion is on Stress and How it has evolved.  Very thought provoking and fantastic thought out answers.

News from the Greens

We also want to send our love and condolences to Nicandra who lost her sister Dana Marie Beck, who passed away on December 24th.  Dana left behind two children and Nicandra has been one of their strongest sources of love and comfort.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Green hosted Sonnets, etc. thread has continued on into December with more moving, emotional, amazing original poetry.  Well done to you all!!

Red Ajah News

(by Talya Sedai)

Well it has been a busy month at the Red Ajah. We are currently running a discussion on Strong Women throughout history and a Red Ajah Trivia Quiz.

It is sad to see that out Phoenix Lounge is now closed, and we had a wonderful demolition party as it went. We have some good memories there. One of the last being the Prettifying of Doselan and Bcx. But never fear a new one has been opened so we still have a lovely place to hang out.

We have had an Accepted choose us as her Ajah of choice, and we are so pleased that Nephitess is joining us. She also started the Red Hall of Flame, the perfect place to put up your favourite pictures, among them including, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom to name but a few but I think Elgee’s man eating chocolate off his fingers had a few hearts fluttering.

Doselan decided to pop by to bare his all to us, which as you can guess went down a treat especially with his Aes Sedai.

And just recently we have been honoured to be graced by a few of those lovely Yellows, including their wonderful Head, Nynaeve.

The Red Ajah would like to wish a Happy New Year to the whole of DM and especially The Band.

Please remember that the Hornsounder would love to have each Ajah submit news about themselves!  Please PM Mystica if you would like to contribute!

We wish you all a Happy and Safe New Year and as always, our door is open to anyone who would like to visit. 

*Wolfkin*

(by Taymist - XO)

Welcome to 2008 everyone. December was quieter since so many people were on leaves of absence for Christmas but let's take a look at goings on in the Pack throughout the last month.  :D

The Pack has called home several old members recently in the shape of Shattered Fang, Heiraphis Theroin, Kepen al'Heal and BrownPaw. It's good to see them and we hope they'll hang around. Safire also recently came back after having been missing for a while, complete with a new name and a streaking confirmed a sighting of Neira. Good to see you both, we missed you.  :)

New members abounded yet again as the Wolfkin were joined by Kirjava, Tharengore, Fiona and Faerielin. A warm welcome to all of you.

There was a spate of Raisings recently in the Stedding as Bridmorgan became a full Wolfsister and Minuet made Youngling on the 1st of December. January 1st saw more celebrations with spec_op_soldier and Leelou making Youngling, Amethea reaching Packmate and our Org leader, Goldy, made Adept rank.  Each of the Guilds had promotions too as Poledra became a Journeywoman in the Healers, Talya reached Traveller in the Seers and 12th made Hunter in the Warriors. Following her promotion, Bridmorgan also chose to join the Healers’ Guild and was welcomed with great delight by the existing members.

Birthdays saw parties and celebrations for Samurai, Direwolf Jon, Bridmorgan, Mirgonath, Amaya and Lupin. We hope you all had fabulous days!! Further congratulations and yet another party were held for Warrior Guild Head, 12th Regiment as he was accepted into East Michigan University. Well done and best of luck when you get there!!

December was the month of activities showcasing the Seers' Guild and courtesy of Talya, the Guild's Head, we were treated to a Spy Game and a Scavenger Hunt Competition. Other events include a Spying in Randland Discussion and a Diplomatic Ball to which Banders were invited. We do hope some of you will join in with the Festivities.

January meanwhile is the turn of the Healers’ Guild and the fun will include a Healing Discussion, a team Scavenger Hunt/Quiz and a Nature Review Competition.

The latest edition of Pawprints was posted and included news of a Poetry Competition for January. Contributions are expected to be of a high standard following last year’s entries. So good luck to everyone.

If you visit us, feel free to join in with our chat on Nativity Plays or with the Last Character Standing game that Kava started.

Meantime, we'd like to wish all Dragonmount members a Happy New Year. See you all again in February with more news.

hornsounder23.jpg

Wheel of Time Section

(by Taymist - XO)

Dragonmount Meets

Planning for D*Con 2008 and Euromeet 2008 are both in full swing. Details for those interested can be found HERE.

News and Announcements

Want to know the latest and most up-to-date happenings around Dragonmount? Then this is the board for you. Current announcements include news on what's happening in the land of Role Play at the Dragon Reborn Portal Stone World (DRPSW) and details of Ask The Chosen with Lanfear. The DRPSW also announced their A.L.I.N.(Amazingly Lovable Immensely Nostalgic) Awards. You can find all of these and more, HERE.

Offline Time?

Kathana posted a note this week on the Staff forums letting us know that Jason is concerned about possible power outtages in his area due to the weather. So, if you can't get into DM ... that would be why.

Please make sure you have this link handy, since it's the Alpha site for the DM Community: 

http://www.ageoflegends.net/WhiteTower/tower/blue/index.php

Community News

News for December was concentrated on the man chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series.

Brandon Sanderson, the author chosen to complete A Memory of Light, updated his own site with some new FAQ. Included is a description of how it feels to be completing such an important and eagerly anticipated book. You can check it out HERE.

Earlier in the month, the website for the Sci-fi Channel published an article on Sanderson in which the writer makes some interesting comments. You can read the full piece HERE.

Mike Crane was also kind enough to send in a link to a report he made on a recent book signing that Brandon Sanderson had in Pittsburgh. You can read the entire report HERE.

hornsounder17.jpg

What exactly IS the Hornsounder?

Hornsounder is the Band of the Red Hand's monthly Newspaper. It evolved from a newsletter into a newspaper in March 2007 when Mystica took over as Editor in Chief and started a full restructuring and re-organisation of what once was not much more than a points earning tool.

Today, Hornsounder is a full sized newspaper that is run by a whole team of people and covers not only news from the Band but also offers a space to all other groups on Dragonmount to share their news and events with the rest of the community. Although the main focus remains on the Band, of course, it is a nice extra forum for other groups to get in touch with those that have not yet been in touch with them as well as offers their members a certain amount of pride to see their beloved group represented in this newspaper. (we hope... )

Hornsounder is open to everyone on DM, regardless of which group they belong to or don't belong to. And this in both ways. Whether you just want to read, play the games or participate in the Competitions, everyone is welcome to join in. The same goes for being actively involved in the Hornsounder as a reporter. Everyone is welcome to participate, write articles, offer a project they would like to run or simply get involved by offering ideas and suggestions to increase the quality of your newspaper.

There are some restrictions where positions are concerned, given that Hornsounder IS the Band's newspaper and therefore Banders do get priority on certain aspects. But this does not exclude the possibility of involvement for Non-Banders who wish to be an active part of it.

Interested in getting involved? contact Mystica through pm and she'll get back to you asap after assessing your suggestion/idea.

How does the Hornsounder work?

Hornsounder, like every real newspaper, is divided into Sections and some of those have Subsections.

Sections are shown by their individual Graphic Headers.

Subsections are shown in BLUE

The Reporter Teams.

Each Section is run by a Section Senior Reporter who is the coordinator of the entire Section, including the subsections. It is their job to make sure all the elements are submitted at the deadline given and meets the required quality standards. Some Subsections are in themselves so big that they too have been assigned a Section Senior Reporter.

The different Sections and Subsections are made up of a series of articles that can be made/written by either the SSR's or by other writers: Junior Reporters. They write parts of the Section contents and work closely together with the SSR's. They get to be mentioned as the author of the articles they write/make, and in case of a Bander get the points that go along with it.

Next to the Section Reporters we also have Project Reporters.

Senior Project Reporters are those in charge of a large project that almost certainly requires the help of Junior Reporters.

Junior Project Reporters are those in charge of small or medium sized projects and may (or may not) need assistance from Junior Reporters.

Which projects are Senior or Junior level is decided by the Editor in Chief on a case-to-case basis.

The Editorial Team is made up by an Editor in Chief, a Senior Editor, a Graphic Editor and Junior Editors. 

The Editor in Chief runs the whole newspaper. Creates and motivates the team, monitors progress and overlooks all Sections and everyone involved, gathers all the submissions and glues it all together into one coherent and appealing newspaper. The EiC also guards the quality of the newspaper, assesses new ideas/suggestions, implements new features and follows up on just about everything. The EiC has the final say on everything though should always strive to find the right balance between her team's ideas, the newspaper's needs and the readers' wishes.

The Senior Editor is the right hand of the EiC and picks up the reins in case the EiC is unable to perform the function. The SE is there to insure that the newspaper is published on time and with the set quality even if the EiC is indisposed.

The Graphic Editor is the left hand of the EiC and is in charge of all the graphical elements of the newspaper. From the Headers to the graphics in the articles, this is all the GE's domain. He/she is the one writers can turn to if they want to liven up their sections or articles with a graphical item.

The Junior Editor, are the assistants of the EiC and SE and tackle a variety of preperatory tasks on the editorial aspect of the Hornsounder. To become a JE one needs to be extremely active, willing and eager to work behind the scenes and be available for whatever the EiC and SE may need them for.

Hornsounder's Teams

Editorial Team

- Editor in Chief (EiC): Mystica

- Senior Editor (SE): Direwolf Jon

- Graphic Editor (GE): Son of Battles

- Junior Editors (JE): Bridmorgan, Lady Stefania

Senior Section Reporters

- Band of the Red Hand: Mystica

- Band Org Game: Footy (Deathdealer)

- Music: Stefania

- Columns: Mystica

- Lottery: Bridmorgan

- Travel: Stefania

- Banders Real Life: Demonspawn

- Band Awards: Taymist

- JoTS monthly winner: Mystica

- Archer Regiment: Amavia

- Cavalry Regiment: Direwolf Jon

- Infantry Regiment: Demonspawn

- Raw Recruits: Taymist

- Redarms: Red Arm Leader of the Term

- Specials: Mystica

- Entertainment: Direwolf Jon

- Dragonmount: Mystica

- Wheel of Time: Taymist

How to be a part of the Hornsounder team.

If you would like to try your hand at being a reporter or you have an idea for a project, a game, a competition or you would like to participate in one of the Sections, then here's your chance!

Send a PM to Mystica with an outline of your idea or request.

She will assess it and give you an answer as soon as possible.

Note: Hornsounder claims the right to make any adjustments to your ideas that might be necessary to insure the quality and coherency of the newspaper.

Archived