DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Spot of Trouble (ATTN James)

Tigara

Tigara was lost. He was only an hour walking into the Blight and he had already lost all sense of direction. The day was hot, and his water was almost gone. That and the fact that you never know what's out here, that made this the hardest part of the trip.

He topped the next hill and saw seven Towers peering down, with a hundred or more lakes at the bottom.

"Water!" he exclaimed as he ran down the hill to the lakes. He reached the lakes and was just about to grab some up in his hands, when something very large and scaly came roaring out of the lake. It was a dark green with several heads willed with pale yeelow razorblades in its mouth. Tigara was sure he would die. Was this as far as his life in the Shadow would take him?

Tigara Kazim

Dreadlord Aspirant

Why me?

That was a recurring thought on Michael's mind as he watched his step while gingerly making his way by a group of particularly dodgy looking trees.  The first danger of the Blight that one accepted was that there was nothing innocuous to be found, everything held a danger hidden amongst them.  One could never be entirely sure what it was, and there was the odd exception, but it was a healthy assumption that ensured that one wasn't permanently lost to the burned land.

It wasn't every day that Michael ventured into the Blight, indeed, he was rather loathe to.  Some might talk of the deadly beauty to be found within, but as far as he was concerned he would be happy to appreciate its existance from a suitable distance where it wasn't so stupidly dangerous.  In fact, anywhere other than here at this particular moment would have been preferable.

But no, someone had to come to seek the dark and enter the Blight before he was told about it.  Had to go seek out the Great Lord himself, nevermind that the idiot was probably already dead, but he had to find a corpse if possible.  Somewhere along this way, somewhere amongst the lakes of Malkier, he would be around somewhere as he'd entered the Blight via Shienar.  Such original thinkers, why they couldn't just do the sensible thing and wait to be found was beyond him.

It was a roar and splashing water that caught Michael's attention.  Racing towards the sound as quickly as his feet would carry him, he rounded a small grove of twisted trees to miraculously find his quarry.  Of course, he also found his quarry about to be turned into lunch by one of the monsters that had taken to the Lake.

Seizing saidin, Michael lifted a hand to focus his weave as he kept running, an arc of lightning crossing from himself to the creature that smoked and danced as it was contorted by the power of the shock.  The crack of the lightning still ringing in his ears, Michael hurled blades of air and fire that hacked the creature into puddles of flesh.  The lad was still on the ground on his back, trying to get his bearings perhaps, but Michael wasn't concerned about him.  Looking about, he was more concerned about what might have heard the commotion.

As he searched for possible threats, Michael called to him.  "What is your name, lad?"

Michael Daemeau

Aurani

OOC:  His bio is here if you want a description :)

http://sertorius.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/michael-daemeau/

He looked up. He wasn't dead. Lightning falshed, followed by blades of fire and something that may have been air. Tigara wasn't sure. He turned around and saw a man running down the hill. A tall man, from the looks of him, and dangerous. He ran farther up the hill to get away from the scaly beast while he could. The man yelled "What is your name, lad?"

Tigara responded, "Tigara Kazim. I wish to be a dreadlord." He ran towards the man, for safety more than anything.

Tigara Kazim

"I know you want to be a Dreadlord, why do you think I'm here?"

New Dreadlords as a general rule, as far as Michael was concerned, were dumb.  There was no two ways about it, it wasn't their fault owing to the fact that they were entirely too young to have anything resembling experience in the world.  Having said that, being told that the man wanted to be a Dreadlord did wonders for Michael's mood.  Did he think that Michael ran into people in the Blight all the time?  That people just came to the Blight for no particularly good reason whatsoever?

Unfair thoughts, but they kept Michael company as he reached into a small pouch at his belt.  Withdrawing a single ball of earth, Michael slipped a small weave into it before tossing the ball a few feet away.  Watching it come to a stop, Michael waved the lad away from it.  "Just stand clear of that and, whatever you do, do not entertain any original thoughts or ideas.  Just stand there, no words, just quiet."

It was only a minute of watchful wariness on Michael's part before something happened.  A silver light, spinning and twisting within the air to create a gateway that would lead to another place.  The lad seemed a bit amazed, that would wear off eventually.  Or not.

"Follow me."

At that, Michael walked through the silver portal to another place . . .

"Michael."

Stepping to one side, Michael nodded deferentially to the man who stood before him.  Clad in a dark robe save for the golden symbols that fell from both shoulders to the hem, his face was hidden for the most part though Michael had seen it before.  M`aeshadar Rasputin had been his master for decades now, a man who held his loyalty without question and had enough power at his disposal to destroy a city singlehandedly.  Not a man to be triffled with.

Turning slightly as he heard Tigara step through the portal, Michael wondered how the lad would take their new surroundings.  Four dark columns stood about the centre of the room, within which they stood in turn.  The walls black and seamless save for the red tapestries that hung from them, multiple orbs of light were positioned around the room to ensure it was fully lit.  A single red carpet stretched before them to the door that a pair of men in red tabards stood beside.  Upon that carpet before them, the M`aeshadar Rasputin himself that had given them the means to reach the Fortress.

Michael decided to do the honours.  "M`aeshadar Rasputin, this is Tigara Kazim, the one I was sent to find."

"Indeed."  Michael was silent as the M`aeshadar looked to Tigara and spoke.  "I am M`aeshadar Rasputin and I am entrusted with the safe keeping and order of this Fortress of Shadow.  Before we continue further, I shall point out that this place is under the Shadow's Peace.  That means that if you attack someone, steal from them or otherwise attempt to commit a crime here, your life is forfeit and it will not be a quick end.  It is this same law that ensures your own safety."

"Now, I am sure that you have questions.  Ask what you will before I must return to my duties."

Tigara stepped through and gapped. The room was so dark, but the red just jumped out at you. Somewhat hard on the eyes, but definitly evil. He looked around and saw Michael looking at him amused. Probably at his own surprise. "He goes here all the time, I bet, and sees people like me act the same way all the time. Why is that amusing?" he thought.

"Greetings, Master Rasputin. When will I start my training, and who will train me? And where exactly are we?

Tigara Kazim

Smiling slightly at the questions that were asked, it was good to see that the lad was keen to begin his education if nothing else.  As to the rest of Tigara, that would become clear with time and observation.  Not that he would be the one doing the observing, or the teaching for that matter, he had other duties that were more pressing.  No, those duties would fall to another and that man was standing with them right now.

"Aurani Michael will be your teacher, and he will begin your instruction tomorrow after you have been settled in.  As to where we are, we are in the Fortress of Shadow as I said before.  It sits upon the sole path to Shayol Ghul, where Michael shall be taking you over the next few days so you may pledge yourself to the Great Lord personally.  Doing so will give you freedom from the taint which would otherwise corrupt your mind and body."

Looking to Michael and getting a slight nod, Rasputin turned back to Tigara as he gave his farewell.  "Remember, this is a new beginning.  Make the best of it and you will do well, use this opportunity poorly and it will be a short lived one.  But, I am sure it will not come to that, Tigara Kazim.  Shadow's Peace upon you both."

-

Keeping his silence as M`aeshadar Rasputin turned and walked away, Michael waited until his superior had left the room before he chose to speak.  "Rasputin tries to make a point of meeting new arrivals to the Fortress where he can so that they know the basic rules.  The strictures are enforced seriously, without them this would not be a safe place for any to come."

"But, follow me."  Gesturing for the lad to follow, Michael led Tigara from the portal room to the hallways beyond.  As dark as the portal room, they were likewise illuminated by lights fashioned of the one power and the occasional tapestries were to be found, depicting different aspects of history and prophecy, past and future.

They had to go down a couple of levels before they found the wing that Michael was after, the place for new students.  Having but single cells that were no larger than twelve feet by eight, they were small but a new student was not meant to have many possessions.  As they progressed in their studies they were given better rooms, it was another incentive to work hard if nothing else.

Stopping before one of the rooms, Michael laid his hand on the door seized saidin.  An audible click coming from the lock a moment later, Michael pushed the door open and gestured for Tigara to enter and view it for himself.  A single bed, a desk, a closet, no light.  A light was something else for a student to earn, once they had achieved enough mastery that they could weave one for themselves.

"These will be your quarters, and you will only have light for it when you are able to weave your own.  As for clothing, we will take care of that tomorrow.  Now come, we will get you something to eat, I could use something myself."

Closing the door to Tigara's room, he and his new Acolyte took a good five minutes before the sound of plates and cutlery could be heard.  Another minute and they passed through a great double door that led into vast hall.  Benches formed in ranks as they ran down the hall, many were seated and eating their meals, either with company or by themselves.

Waving to some of the people he knew, Michael didn't stop to talk and instead led Tigara to the right where the Kitchen was to be found, the counter specifically and helped himself to a plate.  An assortment of meat and vegetables waiting for them there as servants bustled about behind the counter to refill those bowls that were nearing empty, Michael opted for beef, potato and beans as his choice for the day, serving himself with the tongs that were available.

Continuing down the end to claim a knife and fork, a sea of mugs sat nearby and it was one of those he took and used to dip into the water barrels that were nearby as opposed to the wine kegs whose spigots would have been tempting on another day.  No, he had things that needed doing, namely trying to understand his student a touch better so he could figure out the best way to motivate him.

Going to the nearest unoccupied bench, Michael took a seat as he gestured for Tigara to sit opposite him.  The general noise from cutlery and talk meant he had to project his voice a little, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been if the mess hall had been packed.  "So, it seems I'm stuck with you.  What can you tell me about yourself?"

Michael Daemeau

Aurani

Pledging himself to the Great Lord. Being free from the taint. It all seemed surreal to him. For years, he was taught to oppose the Great lord, but now a grand turn of events. What fun he would have. He was taught that channeling was of the Dark One, and now he was doing it himself. He still felt grand urges to kill those Tar Valon witches, but they were no better than himself. They were also on his side, so he couldn’t really kill them with good reason now.

“Rasputin tries to make a point of meeting new arrivals to the Fortress where he can so that they know the basic rules.  The strictures are enforced seriously, without them this would not be a safe place for any to come. But, follow me."

“Yes Aurani Michael. What does Aurani mean, anyways?” he asked rather naively. He suspected he would be naïve for a while. They walked down the Halls. Tigara viewed some of the interesting tapestries on the walls, not that he had any clue to what they were.

They hurried past a handful of rooms with closed doors until they stopped in front of a large door. Michael stood in front of it and Tigara assumed he channeled somehow. The door opened and Tigara looked in to see this little cell of a room that was now his. Nothing but a bed, a dresser, and a closet. How meager.

"These will be your quarters, and you will only have light for it when you are able to weave your own.  As for clothing, we will take care of that tomorrow.  Now come, we will get you something to eat, I could use something myself."

Such small quarters. Now he was glad for his soldiering days. He was used to small quarters after a few months of it. And he had to channel all his own light? “Probably the first thing I’ll be taught.” He thought to himself. He followed the man down further to the dining hall. He saw many others eating at the tables, eating human food. They went over to the kitchens and Tigara was relieved to see that the cook was a human. After hearing some gleeman’s stories, he was expecting to have a Trolloc serve him dinner of who knows what out of a giant cauldron. He picked out an assortment of food, some chicken(because he could be sure that it wasn’t human), some potatoes, and extra helpings of assorted veggies. They helped keep his figure slim and it was not anything a Trolloc would eat. The veggies had to be safe.

He followed Michael over to a large collection of clay mugs, they were quite cute and looked well made. He grabbed one and dipped it into a barrel of crystal clear water as the other man did. He found a bench across from Michael and sat down and began cutting into the chicken.

"So, it seems I'm stuck with you.  What can you tell me about yourself?" Michael said as Tigara stuffed a drumstick into his mouth.

“Hmm, well, I grew up in the streets of Tanchico with my sister. My parents and older brother both died while I was young. As we got older, we fled to Amador and I joined the Children of the Light. My sister became a secretary to a Questioner, so we were together.” He stuffed another drumstick into his mouth and resumed talking around the bone. “I was patrolling a town and suddenly got lost and ended up making a light to see. The other patrolmen recognized what I did and attacked and I lost my hand. Now I have a wooden one.”  He lifted his stiff oak right hand up to show him. It had been well painted, so it look somewhat real at a glance, but looking close you could easily tell it was fake. “After I got away, I came here. As for about me, I have some skill in sword, but it’s nothing special. I like cats, but not dogs. I like ladies, and they tend to like me.“ he chuckled then grinned. The suddenly a thought came to mind. “Say, if the Aes Sedai are supposed to pull strings on the thrones of the world, how come the Shadow doesn’t rule the world already?” It was a sincere question, and to him, it was very logical. Aes Sedai were all Darkfriends, so why didn’t the Shadow rule the World?

Tigara Kazim

Dreadlord Acolyte.

It was the last comment on Tigara's part that truly made Michael laugh.  His student had the funniest things to say and a background to match it through and through.  A Child of the Light who discovered himself channeler, now that was a rare occurrence.  Those that did usually didn't manage to clear Amadicia without being cut down.  But oh dear, that meant that the boy before him was going to be so thoroughly programmed by the Children of the Light's ideas.

It was going to be interesting.

Managing to rein in his laughter, there was still amusement in Michael's voice as he spoke.  "You're serious, aren't you?  Hah, oh you are so buggered.  Alright, we're going to have to skim over a number of facts that are actually facts, as opposed to a bunch of lies that were conjured up by those idiots in white."

"First off."  Michael held up a finger as he spoke.  "Aes Sedai aren't Darkfriends.  Except for the few that swear over to us in secret, they're as big a lightfools as the Children of the Light or any other organisation of the Westlands.  Those retards who wear that sunburst like to brand the Aes Sedai so because they're ignorant bigots who think anything they don't control is a possible Darkfriend or being manipulated by Darkfriends because the Children are the only true source of the Light, or some nonsense.  Nevermind that there are enough Darkfriends amongst their own ranks that they're just as riddled with our people as any other."

"Secondly."  Michael held up another finger.  "You're here to learn to become a Dreadlord, a male channeler who serves the Shadow.  A channeler is someone who can wield the power, or 'witchcraft' as those Amadician retards like to call it.  There's no involved ceremonies, no dancing around fires or sacrificing virgins involved.  Well, unless you actually wanted to.  The power is actually the stuff of the universe, the thing that keeps the wheel turning, some people are able to tap that and weave things for themselves.  Think of a channeler like a minature wheel."

"Thirdly."  A third finger extended from Michael's hand.  "Male channelers have two choices because of what was done with the power.  When the Great Lord was sealed away by the Dragon, the male power came in contact with the Great Lord and the Great Lord tainted the male side of the power which is called saidin as a counterstroke against his attackers.  Thats why male channelers end up going crazy and physically rotting and turning on everyone around them.  Female channelers wield saidar, the female half which wasn't tainted, hence why they don't go mad.  For us, the choice is simple.  If we swear to the Great Lord, we don't go insane and rot and destroy everything around us.  If we don't swear, we lose our minds and eventually get hunted down if we don't rot away first.  Either we serve or die."

"Having said that, point four."  Michael waggled his little finger as he continued.  "People serve the Shadow for many reasons.  Some are greedy bastards with nothing in mind but serving themselves, some do so because they're naturally off their kilter or psychopathic, some do so because they had little choice, some do so because it is the right thing to do.  For example, M`aeshadar Rasputin who leads the Aurani is a believer of Ayende dyu'shadar, the purpose for freeing the Great Lord is to heal the disjunction rather than searching for personal reward.  Another, like M`aeshadar Cyril, serves more because he wishes to survive than anything else.  M`aeshadar Caladesh in turn is one who seeks reward, each Darkfriend has their own motivations and you should be mindful to remember that."

"Speaking of which, the Aurani, I didn't answer you earlier."  His thumb jutting out, Michael smiled.  "The Aurani are the servants of Aginor.  He was given the Fortress to make his home and a number of us were given to his service.  M`aeshadar Rasputin is the leader of the Order, and in practical terms we report to him because Aginor does not have time for most of us or to manage the Fortress, consumed with his own work as he is."

"So, take that in and ask what questions you wish while I get some of this lunch down."  At that, Michael set to his meal once again with his cutlery as he allowed Tigara time to muse on what had been said and what questions he may want to ask.

Michael Daemeau

Aurani

Tigara's jaw dropped further and further down to the table as Michael talked. When he was done explaining all of it, the chicken he was chewing lay half chewed on the table in front of him. Most Aes Sedai weren't Darkfriends??!! That blew his mind into miniscule pieces never to be found. Channelers in general weren't also evil, necessarily. That was slightly less shocking, but after the Aes Sedai thing, not much would. The third explanation was not so shocking. Turning to the Shadow to avoid going mad seemed very logical.

At the fourth point, he piped up after picking up his dangling jawbone. "So I guess I came here originally because I thought it to be instincts, but now I suppose it's for survival. I don't think Jagaea would want a crazy and destructive brother."

Speaking of her, Tigara hoped she was alright. They knew she was his sister, and if he was a Darkfriend, they might think her to be one, as well. If only he knew where she was.

Michael then exlained Aurani and what it was all about. So Aginor owned this place. Aginor, the man mothers used to frighten their children into bed, and he was standing in his house. That overwhelming sense of surreality came back. Did the other Forsaken, well, he supposed he should call them the Chosen now, have places like this? Rahvin? Be'lal? Moghedien?

"So do other Chosen have places like this? Does Aginor ever come here? Do servants of the other Chosen have names like Aurani?" He had more questions, but he went slow so they weren't forgotten. He then noticed the lump of half-chewed chicken on the table and tried to flick it off the table with his knife without anyone noticing. It wasn't so successful. He saw others look and start snickering. He just dug his fork into a pile of carrot slices and waited for the man across from him to answer the questions.

Tigara Kazim

Very Confused Dreadlord Acolyte

Well, the effect of his words was certainly amusing to observe.  At least he wasn't being bombarded with protests that it was all impossible, that would have simply annoyed him.  The knowledge that the man had a sister was interesting, and perhaps something to investigate but he doubted that there was anything to be done.  If he'd had a sister, the children might have caught up with her, if they had it was too late to do anything.  If she'd evaded them thusfar, then she was safe and it wasn't an issue.

The questions would have been easy enough to answer, but Michael become entirely distracted by Tigara's attempt to flick scraps off the table, and his snicker at the reaction of others who noticed.  Reaching over, Michael pointedly flicked the man right between the eyes hard enough that it would sting before he sat back and answered the puzzled look on Tigara's face.  "Don't make a mess, just because you're going to become a Dreadlord doesn't mean you can go on and wantonly make a mess for others to clean up."

"As to your questions, not all the Chosen have been released but there are different orders.  Each Chosen has their own followers, and there are orders that exist independently but I doubt they will last the years to come.  There are others places sort of like this, but only vaguely.  This is the only place where the Shadow's Peace is enforced absolutely.  Other places are either under the control of a specific individual who enforces their own rule, or the Shadow's Peace has been altered because the place exists within the Westlands."

"As to Aginor, no he does not come here.  He keeps to himself as I said and only a rare few have had the opportunity to meet him.  Hope that you are not one of them.  Now finish your food already, there is more to be done."

Michael Daemeau

Aurani