DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Something the Two Rivers was missing?

SinisterDeath

That's what I was thinking as well, SD. I believe there were various mentionings of how the good house wives of Emonds Field would cook and bake. Mistress al'Vere most probably provided the cooked food for the Winespring Inn, and that would be the place people went if they didn't want to eat their own, or their wife's, cooking.

I must say I enjoy your posts here quite a bit, cloglord. Very informative.

And come to the thought, sheep are the only livestock I can remember ever being referenced in the books. Does anybody have a quote from the book that actually states this point, rather than common sense or dishes that were eaten?

By the way, I like mutton.

Re' the pigs quote - i'm SURE (and i may be dreaming here) that i remember something about a prank that Mat had pulled, letting the pigs into Alsbet Luhhan's house or something... somewhere in the early books.

Again, i may have dreamt it but i'm sure i remember something about that!

Sorry, I know that one. It was Master Luhhan's dogs that Mat had covered in flour. He let them loose near a boy's house, as he had previously told the boy about ghost dogs or some such, and the dogs ran straight home, and got into her kitchen.

I may not be talking about the same thing you are, however. What I mentioned was in EotW, within the first five chapters, and fits your description closely, I feel.

And come to the thought, sheep are the only livestock I can remember ever being referenced in the books. Does anybody have a quote from the book that actually states this point, rather than common sense or dishes that were eaten?

Bran Alvere keeps dhurran horses, Mat had to milk his dad's cows, and I think I remember there being geese on the village green, that and the sheep of course...

Ah yes, I remember Mat's comment about 'milking his da's cows' every day. I wasn't actually talking about horses, but that makes me curious, you specifically mention the dhurran horses, instead of just pointing out Bela, or any of the horses the Two Rivers folk rode out of the Two Rivers that were purchased for them. Was that simply because those horses were what came to you're mind, or are they better categorized as livestock for some reason?

Probably a stupid question, but since it never occured to me to include horses in the category of livestock, it does make me realize that I know quite a bit less than I thought I did, and I didn't think I had a good grasp of it in the first place.

but that makes me curious, you specifically mention the dhurran horses, instead of just pointing out Bela, or any of the horses the Two Rivers folk rode out of the Two Rivers that were purchased for them. Was that simply because those horses were what came to you're mind, or are they better categorized as livestock for some reason?

I mentioned horses because they are domesticated animals used for agricultural purposes.  I specifically mentioned the Dhurrams, because I assumed them to be a randland breed fo draft horses.  Horses being, roughly, divided into draft breeds, and saddle breeds.  Draft horses tend to be much larger, heavier bones, and used primarily for pulling things around.  Saddle horses are generally much smaller, and are used primarily for riding, although they might also be used for light draft.  There are differences in the tack you use for the two different uses, Harness Vs. Saddle, and there are differences in training.

I may have been dreaming again, but i'm sure in book 6 or 7, there's a quote from... Mat, i think, Mat or Rand, who see something on their travels and think something along the lines of 'that would make it much easier for my da to plough the fields' or 'it'd only take a few hours to plough the fields with that' or something like it.

Can't for the life of me remember where the quote is though...

I think it's when Rand visits the Acadamy in Caemlyn and is shown the various inventions that are being worked on and planned. The one where he is shown the Steam Engine, and wonders if it were some type of music device.

I'm not certain, however.

• Community Administrator

I think it's when Rand visits the Acadamy in Caemlyn and is shown the various inventions that are being worked on and planned. The one where he is shown the Steam Engine, and wonders if it were some type of music device.

I'm not certain, however.

HE contimplates using it to help plow fields...

before getting interutped in mid sentence...

I haven't read the book for 2 years! and I remember this! come on people! :P

Archived