DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Puppy Eyes (Attn: Demus)

Matalina

Aiden had told Kate everything Demus had told him.  She was afraid to talk to anyone about her knew world, she was sure they would all say no, tell her she could not.  But she wanted to do what her mother did.  Kate didn't know for sure, but she was pretty sure she killed people for a living.  All the weapons she knew how to use, and the poisons she knew how to make.  Surely they all had a purpose.  And her mother was strange enough to like doing it too.  Kate smiled softly to herself.  Her mother wasn't the greatest of role models but she wanted to be like her anyway.  She was proud of her mother and her ability to control her inner demons as well as she did.  The Shadow scared Kate, and the shadow was the only thing that Kate really feared.

Kate saw Demus sitting walking towards one of the barns, she followed him into the hay stack and she watched, unsure of how to approach him. She wanted him to teach her too, like he was teaching Aiden.  Mother would approve if they knew what they were getting into before hand.  And who else to teach her than the one person that her mother trusted most.  Demus was more than mother's lover, he may not know it, but he was also her best friend.  Even if they had never sletp together they were good friends.  Kate only knew this because she read her mothers journal every morning.  Her mother kept her secrets well hidden, but her personal feelings and things always came through in her writing. Kate knew Cari's passion for her jobs and other passions as well.  But her mother was never explicit in things just her feelings and her perceptions, never details.  And Demus was the only person she trusted. He was the right person to ask to help her learn for her mother to accept their decision.  She hoped that he would understand.

Kate smiled and moved into view.  "Demus can I talk to you?"

Kate

As soon as he heard the voice he knew he was in trouble.  Light, but he'd been hiding out a bit trying to keep this conversation from happening.  He was sure he knew what it was about, sure ever since Aiden had told him that both he and Kate had both sworn to the Shadow, that she would come to him to have a similar conversation.  He hadn't managed to get out of it with Aiden but he had hoped that his sweet little Kate wouldn't do this to him.  He had always known it was a fools hope, but he'd never claimed that Kate didn't make him a fool.  It was a good thing he wasn't a father because even being just a friend of the family he'd managed to spoil Cari's kids.

He turned to look at the young girl and smiled even as he berated himself for making it easier on her.  His love of all things female was really going to get him killed someday.  "Seems like you are already Kate." He stopped what he was doing and gave her his full attention.  "Is this something I should be sitting down for, or should I be closer to an ale?" He asked with a half smile.

Demus, the sucker... 

• 1 month later...

Kate smiled at Demus, he was always funny.  "Probably both." She paused, she wasn't sure where to go from there, but Demus sat down on the nearest bail of hay.

"Aiden has already spoken to you, he told me what you said.  But I wanted to hear it myself."  Kate didn't flash the darkfriend sigh she'd been practicing in the darkness of her bedroom.  She looked around to see if anyone was near, they had the barn to themselves.  Kate sat on Demus' lap and whispered in his ear. "I swear my soul, my life and all things I hold dear to the Great Lord of the Dark.  I am his servant to do with as he sees fit.  I come to you to bear witness to my oath and to seek your hand in guiding me through my training."

Kate

Demus closed his eyes as Kate whispered in his ear.  Curse him for a lightfool, but he'd known there was no way to avoid this, no matter how he had tried.  No matter the choices that he had made in his life, part of him had hoped that Kate wouldn't come to him, that she and her brother would realize they had made a mistake and that it would be the end of all of it.  He'd never really believed himself that lucky though.

So there he was, Cari's little girl in his lap, confessing she was a Darkfriend and asking to be trained.  He'd already promised to train her brother, if for no other reason than to keep him from going to someone else.  They all worked well together at the Ranch, but that didn't mean someone else might not try to take advantage of the kids to have something to hold over Cari.  At least with Demus they would be safe from that sort of trouble.  Besides, he'd seen kids this young learning to defend themselves and he could pretend, for a little while, that it was all he was doing.  In case the Ranch was ever discovered or they were attacked for their mother's benefit.

He pulled her back and looked her in the eye.  "Kate, do you really know what you're doing?  I asked Aiden the same thing and I need to hear it Kate.  Why are you doing this?"

demus Nolorean

Kate smiled in a way she'd never shown anyone.  The light in her eyes was nearly as dark.  Kat wasn't afraid of what she was about to say.  She'd known for a long time, this is what she was meant to do.  "I've known about mother's well kept secret.  It hasn't been long and I've not told anyone, but where Aiden sees Mother as redeemable, I do not.  I can be better than her."

Kate knew that Demus wouldn't understand fully what she meant, her mother probably wouldn't either.  Kate took her purse from under her arm and emptied the contents next to Demus.  It was a pile of headless dolls and their decapitated heads.  "I can't say that the darkness will haunt me like it does my mother, but I feel the .." Kate looked up into Demus' eyes and smiled softly, "evil inside me grow the more I read my Mother's journal.  She doesn't say it out right that she is a friend, or even that she does what she does for a living, but I see it, I read it, I feel it from her every day when I hug her.  There is evil so deep I don't think even she knows.  I don't want to be like my mother, I don't want to have this eat me up like it does her.  Acceptance is key, she's taught me that much, and she will teach me more once there is no turning back.  Aiden is a sweet boy, but he could never kill.  He could never do that, but he will protect me, you and mother as if his life depended on it.  He is joining for the wrong reasons, but he is as serious as I am, so don't fault his reasons."

"I'm fully aware of what this means to me, to us.  I am ready to serve."

Kate

He couldn't react.  He was numb from the words she had spoken, numb from the little dolls that were splayed across the bale of hay he sat on.  Numb from the little girl that he adored telling him that she could and wanted to be even darker than her mother.  He ... well ... he didn't like to think too much on how he felt about Cari but even in light terms he cared a great deal about her.  The Shadow in her didn't scare him like it had when he had first learned about her problems, but it was still nothing to be flippant about.  Her darkness had brought her down a road he didn't think she had ever wanted.  Kate spoke of acceptance but as much as the girl spoke of knowing, he doubted she understood Cari as well as she thought.  It was the terrible truth than more people came to learn when they became adults.  That no matter what they thought they knew about their parents, there was so much more. 

But he knew something else now that he hadn't before.  There was no turning back. Aiden might have been able to walk away in time, but Kate was a different story.  He could tell from the look in her eyes.  There was nothing that would make her change.  The same look in her eyes that Cari sometimes had.  The Dark One help her, he hoped she never developed the sort of troubles her mother had. 

"I can't say I like this Kate.  I didn't like it when Aiden came to me either, but this is your choice to make.  If you want to train, then you'll train with me at the pace I set.  You don't talk about any of this to anyone else and if you are even thinking about it, you come talk to me.  One bad choice can cost your life.  And not just yours.  It could cost the lives of everyone at the Ranch because of what you want to be.  Do you understand that?"

She nodded and he knew that she was taking his words in, that she understood how serious he was.  "Not even Cari.  Because i'd like a little warning before she comes for my head."  He smiled then lightly.  He wasn't sure what Cari's reaction would be.  It might not be a joke, but he'd take the chance because if they were determined to be trained at least he knew they were safe with him.  "We do this quietly but you don't boast or brag or let on what you know.  You don't flash darkfriend signals to anyone.  You don't even whisper it to one another at night when you think everyone else is asleep, alright?"

How in the world did he get into these things?

Demus

Kate smiled.  "The secret is safe.  I won't tell my mother, but she will find out.  She sees alot more than she lets on."  Kate looked around a little nervously.  "She may even know about these."  Kate quickly put her collection in her purse.  She kept it well hidden, but her mother had always had eyes in every direction, they could be here now...

"So when do we start?"  Kate was more than eager to begin her learning.  She wanted very much to learn to be a proper assassin.  She knew that's what her mother did when she went away. She killed her prey.  There was nothing merciful about her mother, she was a relentless teacher and Kate knew she was like that in all things she pursued.  She is a much better mother to us than she ever was to Fawne.

OOC:  We can start a new thread with them training.  I figure that we can combo up a thread for Aiden and Kate and haven them practicing their stealth and spying techniques.

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

It was amazing the amount of enthusiasm children could have for things.  It was strangely disturbing to hear Kate have that energy about killing.  She should be playing with dolls, not chopping their heads off and toting them around as trophies for him to see, but she wasn't his daughter and she hadn't been raised in the most normal of circumstances.  It didn't really matter though.  The truth was, he loved Kate and Aiden.  They were family to him now, no matter what else happened.  Cari was the only friend he had that he could really count on and the one person that had really taken him under her wing and helped him become what he was now.  He didn't know if she thought of him as family, but he knew they were friends and it was good enough for him.  Family had just gotten more complicated with him agreeing to train her children to be assassins in secret, but she would know in time and he'd have to deal with it when he came.  He couldn't stand the thought of Kate and Aiden trying to turn to anyone else on the Ranch and getting used because someone might have a grudge against Cari.

He smiled as he shook his head.  "We begin when I tell you we begin."  He said with a wink.  "I'll find a way to let you know when training begins.  I won't tell you straight out.  You'll need to figure it out as you go."  Clues.  Make them use their mind from the beginning and they would be better off for it.  If they missed training because they couldn't figure out the clues he was leaving them, then he'd have to find some form of punishment that wouldn't be noticed, but enough that would make them understand it was serious business.  He had faith in his imaginative skills though and it was a little exciting to think about beginning this long journey to building his family into something stronger, better, and deadlier.

Demus