DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another newbie

Msnformd

Hello. New to this board, not new to the 'net in general. Hope my netiquette skills are still up to standard, though.

Got hooked on WoT about 5 years ago. Actually got re-hooked on fantasy in general about 6 years ago, after a 20 year hiatus. Read alot of stuff back in my high school days, and then got turned off, read alot of other things, chick lit, mysteries, sci-fi, etc., but stayed away from fantasy.

Then, on a lark, tried the first book in GRRM's ASOIAF series, and BANG! Hooked in a bad way. What a reintroduction to the genre! The guy who turned me onto that, said, if I liked that, I should try RJ's WoT series. I read through the first 8 or 9 books or so back in 2001. I discovered that this was a series that reads best when you can devote many hours at a session to it. It does not do well in little 10 and 15 minute bits of time.

Then a couple years ago, I started listening to audio books while working on my other hobbies (art: pottery, stained glass, etc). I found that Listening to a book engaged the verbal, narrative parts of my brain, leaving the motor and spatial thinking areas of my brain free to play with whatever media I had at hand. Again, I found I could devote many hours at a time to these two favorite activities, reading and art, so it seemed like a good time to revisit WoT, in audio format (mostly), this time.

I started listening to WoT from the beginning last fall, and just finished KoD a couple of days ago. Many things to comment on, looking forward to debates. I love reading other's theories and ideas; it gives me new insight and things to watch for, and reasons to re-read a favorite series.

Looking forward to more discussion!

Hey Msnformd, welcome to Dragonmount, I just finished the books like 1 1/2 months ago, after listening to them on audio book for 7 - 8 months. The only book I read, was LoC, the others I listened to. Nice to meet you, pop on over to the Band of the Red Hand orginization, and sign up there. If you do, I guarentee you that by the end of the day, one of us will have a welcome thread open for you.

Guest Egwene

Hello Msnformed.. welcome to DM :)

I wonder if an interest in stained glass and WoT are a common combination. I just noticed an interest in stained glass in someone elses profile and it struck me as quite an unusual hobby.

Need to investigate these audio books. As I have the radio on all day whilst working at my desk (I design and make greeting cards) it would be a great way to re-read before the next book.

Have a look on the book discussion boards. Even though this site has only been back up just over a month... there are lots of topics on there already. And if you voted in the Asmo poll I'd be very happy :)

.. anyway, nice to meet you and hopefully see you around!

Not too sure if there's a correlation between stained glass and fantasy fiction or WoT specifically, but it does lead to something else I've wondered about. I've thought of starting a thread asking how many other "crafts" mentioned in WoT seem authentic. I like the stained glass alot, but I LOVE making pottery; working with clay has proven to be my truest, best, artistic medium. Of course, as with any fine craft, there's alot of technique to learn. Wood, metal, clay, glass, even textiles all have an enormous amount of knowledge to master. An author who can portray that accurately - that's cool - shows dedication to research, and a desire for authenticity.

For example, I don't know enough about metal smithing to know if Perrin's scenes at the forges are accurate, or if other references to other crafts are accurate. A thread inviting others to share their knowledge for comparison purposes might be interesting.

As for audio books - I find I can listen to them while working if I'm doing something repetitive and boring - the "grunt" work, as I call it. I do alot of data cleanup work in my job, and those are the times when I can listen to books. I find I can't concentrate on the book, though, when I have to do any cognitive thinking - handling email, decision making, planning, writing, etc. Listening to audio books really engages your concentration skills and verbal processing centers. Unlike music does. Music can be very mathematical, and engages very different areas. People can allow themselves to tune out the music or limit it to background noise, when more concentration is needed elsewhere. Further, in most popular music, songs are short, and likely to be repeated again a few hours, or days, or otherwise be easily accessible if you accidentally "missed" one. Audio books are much more linnear - if you miss a part because you focused on something else in your environment, it's a pain to go back, to re-listen. At least, in my experience it is.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Guest Egwene

totally agree about the difference between music and books on tape. I do sometimes play language tapes and find that even the sub-conscious listening does have some effect.

Your idea for a discussion about crafts/trades in Wot is great. You should post it if you haven't already. Also, check out the artist's org.

I like the whole craft trade idea thing too. Whole new thread maybe?

Welcome to DM Msnformd. So im guessing Perrin is your favorite character?

You should stop by the Black tower if you like the Band Of THE Red Hand. Or stop by our place first. Its alot of fun.

If you start a role playing caracter, you could be a black smith. That would be interesting. Dont think i have met one yet.

Welcome again Msnformd.

Actually, if I ever role play, I'd have to play a potter - that's what I do out here in the real world for fun, not smithing. But where the heck do you folks get the time to Role Play? Between my day job, and the pottery, and all the other stuff I have going on, I just don't have the time. Which is is a shame, as the idea of role playing games kinda appeals to me. I just can't commit the resources to it at the moment.

As for a craft review - thanks Egwene! I'll check out the Artists area before starting a thread, try make sure I'm not duplicating what's been discussed before.

Guest Egwene

I think a thread about crafts in WoT would be best placed on the book discussion boards. The artists org I recommended as that's where some of the artists on here discuss... well. artistic things :wink:

I have not joined them as, much like you, I don't get the time to do it all. In fact I have had to cut down on posting as my work was beginning to suffer :(

What type of pottery do you do?

I make mostly wheel-thown vessels from porcelain. High fired, so it's vitrified (which is what makes it suitable for the table). I have a wheel at home, and do most of my making and decorating there. But I don't have a kiln, so I get my firing done at school. I take the open studio class over'n'over, just for the kiln space. As do most of my studio buddies.

I've made all the usual stuff - cups, plates, bowls, etc. Lately, I've been working on a series of vessels that are specifically inspired by my love of fantasy and sci-fi literature. I call it my "Vessels of Ceremony" series. Vessels that seem to belong more on the altar of some exotic religion on a far off world, rather than my cupboard.

A friend of mine from the studio I work out of, is also majorly into sci-fi fandom stuff, and her husband runs a artshow for a local sci-fi convention. She told me I should exhibit there, and with this latest series, it seemed like a good match! It's running this weekend, so I just set up my stuff last night. Hopefully I'll sell a few things! That's hardest part about this - finding the right audience who appreciates and relates to my stuff.

Happily, though, my art is not how I pay the mortgage. Because it doesn't have to support me, I can pretty much work at the pace I like, and on the projects that suit my fancy.

Guest Egwene

lucky you!! ... note how the font reflects the colour of my face! In my case, I am crafting for a living and it means many hours for not enough money *sigh*

Sounds really interesting what you are making. Why don't you post pics of some of your work in the Gallery? I don't know how it is done, but I think there is a help section there. Take some before going out to the artshow in case you sell them all :wink:

Good luck!!

oooooooooooooooo

Can i buy one from you. I love potery. I cant make it. I tryed that. Im more of a drawer still suck at that. My dads the art teacher. I would love to see some of your works thoug. Maybe we can disccuss a price. :roll:

Nice meeting you again.

Archived