DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Meeting the mentor, Oh my! (att: Taeadawn)

Nephitess

Guest nephitess

OOC: Hey there Mentor mine!!! i hope this works,and please feel free to make her blush. LOL  :D

IC:  Today would be a great day; Veria could smell it in the air. Getting out of bed and scrubbing her teeth, Veria laid out her clothes. She had them specially made for herself once she found out she was approved for weapons training. She ordered a tow pairs of soft cotton breeches and matching shirts. A pair or black leather boots that came to her knees was also added to the outfits. Changing out of her shift and into underwear more suitable for breeches and shirts she put on her clothes.

Looking at herself in the mirror, she ran her hands along her accented body. Her breasts and bottom were covered but she did not feel as if she were wearing anything! With a blush she thought to herself that she would have to get used to it. Putting on her belt pouch and brushing her hair she felt ready to go. She felt ready for a new page in her life.

Walking to the Training yards she felt a little nervous about meeting her mentor. Ursana…she had heard very little about him. She hoped he would be patient with her. If not she would deal with it, she had after all endured 15 years of being taught by Sisters and Accepted. With a smirk she arrived at the yard.

A sight she had for some reason not expected assailed her eyes. The male Trainees were going through sword forms WITHOUT shirts on. Closing her eyes she centered her thoughts. Going around the yard she found the spot that she was told to go to. Trying not to stare she waited for her mentor. Was he going to train her and have no shirt on??  Oh light she hoped not.

Ursana Tahn Sakhr was doing what he always did when he wasn't sure about something.  He ran.  He had been given another person to train and while he had been told only the name of his trainee, he hadn't been told anything else.  No status, no idea of what she'd look like, or who she had been before.  So instead of just waiting around hoping to recognize someone he was running laps.  It was always good, in case he decided it was time to hit the open road and find his family again, but it kept him well in shape and it was something he enjoyed.

All the same, there was a lost looking young woman wandering the yards and he slowed down.  Walking off his run, he crossed over to her and smiled.  "You seem a little lost.  Something I can help you with?" He asked, trying to be as friendly as possible.

Ursana Tahn Sakhr :P

Guest nephitess

OOC: LOL…you know I meant to add a piece to the last post…and forgot to write it in…O well. Good post BTW!

IC: "You seem a little lost.  Something I can help you with?"

The words brought Zeveria out of her thoughts. Looking up she saw a tall young man watching her. Standing quickly, Veria fell back because she lost her balance.

“omf!!” 

Feeling humiliated, Veria started to laugh. It was all she could do to keep from crying. Pushing herself back up and getting to her feet she brushed her hands off on her legs. Finally looking at him in the eye…she said…

“Yes I am a little lost…not in location…more like person. I’m looking for my mentor. Ursana? Do you know him? My name is Zeveria By the way.”

Shaking his hand she smiled.

Ursana reached out to help the young woman up and smiled at her.  "Zeveria, is it?  I think I can help you out.  He's this rather annoying chap that tends to run laps a lot and scare off lost looking women." 

He gave out a small laugh then and held his hand out to her.  "I'm Ursana Tahn Sakhr, though that's a mouthful.  You can call me Sana.  And yes, I am your mentor.  The Mistress of Trainees asked me to keep an eye on you.  Why don't we start by taking a seat?" He asked.  "So.. a little about me.  I grew up as a part of a trading caravan.  Came here to find my sister and I never left.  That's the very short version." He said with a grin.  "Now, tell me a little about you."

Ursana

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nephitess

IC: Taking the offered hand Veria stood. Dusting herself off..She smiled.

"Zeveria, is it?  I think I can help you out.  He's this rather annoying chap that tends to run laps a lot and scare off lost looking women." Sana said wth a laugh.

Shakinghis hand Sana continued...

"I'm Ursana Tahn Sakhr, though that's a mouthful.  You can call me Sana.  And yes, I am your mentor.  The Mistress of Trainees asked me to keep an eye on you.  Why don't we start by taking a seat?" He asked.  "So.. a little about me.  I grew up as a part of a trading caravan.  Came here to find my sister and I never left.  That's the very short version." He said with a grin.  "Now, tell me a little about you."

Veria could not help but become more realxed around Sana...She hoped it would stay that way.Her mind was even the half dressed men around her. Nodding at Sana's story she grinned and said..

"Well I left home and lived by working as a serving girl in local Inns. I came to Tar valon and found my way to the tower. Been here about 15 years now." She watched for his expression...trying to get a hint to his thoughts of her being an accepted.

It was amazing how she could just talk about having been there for 15 years of training without blinking an eye.  And yet, he was the one teaching her today.  It was an odd thing, but he'd heard of worse.  At least she wasn't a full Aes Sedai, claiming to be over 100 and trying to get trained with a sword. 

He smiled at her, trying not to let his thoughts show.  He'd met a few Aes Sedai now and had been surprised at how different they all were.  In truth he had realized that each Sedai was as different as any two women were and that had made trying to talk to them all the easier.  Less frightening and more interesting since he was no longer afraid of getting his head chopped off for being curious, which was a true fault of his nature.    "The Tower was lucky to find you then, if you are so diligent with your studies as to stick around for that long." He said with an even larger smile.  He hoped she'd understand he was teasing a bit, looking to see if he was going to be spending time with someone who had a sense of humor or not. 

Sana

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nephitess

IC: "The Tower was lucky to find you then, if you are so diligent with your studies as to stick around for that long." Sana said with a larger smile.

Veria laughed...”Either that of I’m out of my mind. Actually, the Sisters treat us relatively well. They are strict but mostly fair. We learn so much, I’m sure you feel the some what the same about the Warders and the Tower Guard.”

As Veria sat and chatted with Sana, she felt comfortable with him. He was kinda cute to. After a few more minutes of chat..Veria asked…

“So what will my training entail?”

"Training."

Sana smiled widely at his new trainee and couldn't help the laugh that came behind it.  "Today was just for introductions and so we can get to know one another.  The other thing we'll be doing is to take a look at the different types of weapons  we have and see what you think you would like best."

As they were walking they came upon the armory and he stopped before it.  "Now, we'll go on in and take a look.  Touch what you want, but be careful.  Get a feel for the different things you see, and feel free to ask questions about it.  You'll see different types of swords and probably some things you haven't heard of before.  They keep a wide assortment so that we all have a fair choice."

He opened the door and let her walk in ahead of him, taking in the armory.

Ursana

(Have her look around... she'll need to pick something eventually.  If you need it, here is the site with the weapons info: http://www.aliciawilkerson.com/warders/?page_id=30)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nephitess

IC:  With a laugh Sana responded to her question…

"Today was just for introductions and so we can get to know one another.  The other thing we'll be doing is to take a look at the different types of weapons we have and see what you think you would like best."

“Oh I know, I just wanted to know what we would be doing…But you have answered one of my questions…the other answers will come I’m sure.”

With a wink she stood and they started to walk. Following Sana they chatted a bit and ended up at a building. Veria assumed it was the armory and took it in with a look.

"Now, we'll go on in and take a look.  Touch what you want, but be careful.  Get a feel for the different things you see, and feel free to ask questions about it.  You'll see different types of swords and probably some things you haven't heard of before.  They keep a wide assortment so that we all have a fair choice."

Choice…That was something Veria liked the sound of, but what would she choose?  Stepping in Veria looked around and was hard pressed to not gap like a donkey. There were so many weapons to choose from she did not even know where to start.

Swords in their sheaths lined the walls….short ones, long ones, slim ones and broad ones. Axes of all shapes and sizes were hung on the walls almost like ornaments. Tables show casing knives and gloves made to be part of a suit of amour.  Suits of amour hung on dummies of all sorts or colors and sizes. They looked almost as if they were ready to jump on a horse and ride into battle. With a stifled giggles she turned away and her eyes landed on a rack of whips.

Walking over to them she smiled. This was something she was familiar with, being from a farming community. When she was younger she saw Whips being used often and actually had started to learn how to use one. She would have to relearn it all but she hoped it would come back quickly. Pick one up she held it in her hand and felt the handle with her other. Uncoiling it she saw that is was about 20 feet long. The handle was carved wood. Deciding it was to long for her right now she coiled it back up and choose another. This one was about 10 feet long and with a plain handle. It felt good and that was what decided her. It would do for learning and practice. Once she was raised and had some training she could always get one custom made.

Facing Sana who was watching her she said…

“I’ll take this one. May I choose one more thing?” 

Sana was more than a little surprised at her choice of weapons, and even more so by her request to pick another.  He knew how to use a whip, but it wasn't his favorite and he'd have to brush up himself before it was time to help her work with it. 

"Nice choice.  If you want to pick something else, be my guest.  It will take time to learn two weapons, but I don't see why you can't have an option.  The whip is a unique choice.  What else did you have in mind?" he asked.

Sana

Guest nephitess

IC: With a funny little smile that made Veria wonder what Sana was thinking, He answered her question.

"Nice choice.  If you want to pick something else, be my guest.  It will take time to learn two weapons, but I don't see why you can't have an option.  The whip is a unique choice.  What else did you have in mind?"

Walking over the table that displayed knives in every shape and size, Veria answered…

“I’d like to learn throwing knives…though I don’t know anything about them. Can you help me pick out a good set for learning with?”

Sana nodded to her question.  Knives were always good.  They were small enough to hide and you didn't need a lot of strength to use them properly.  They could be thrown if you were far enough away, or used up close if need be.  Versatile... that was the word he was looking for. 

"Well, you'll need to test them and see how they feel in your hand.  Each set of knives will be a different weight and you want something comfortable for you.  If you weren't here, you'd have to look at the quality and see how well each was made, but you're not like to find anything better than what we have here, no matter where you go." She said with a smile.

Letting her touch the knives and hold them, he waited and watched as she whittled down the knives that were too heavy or light for her.  "Now you'll need to think about what length you like.  You'll need to think about length too.  If you want these to be concealed, or if you want to keep them in plain sight..." He'd never met anyone who actually kept many throwing knives in sight, but it could happen...  "And factor that into the length of the blade..."

Ursana

Guest nephitess

IC: "And factor that into the length of the blade..."

Veria Appreciated the Help Sana was giving her….she tested out the one she had picked. Feeling them in her hands. A set of six with slim handles and slightly curved blades. Five were made to be hidden and came with sheaths that tied to the place them on ones body. The sixth was longer but light and meant to be on ones belt. Making her choice she picked up the set.

“I think these will do.” She said with a smile.

Sana smiled as she showed him the weapons she had picked out.  "A good choice." he said as he admired the blades.  It reminded him of something Sahra might pick, but the girl had more knives than just about anyone he knew.  Almost.  He bet Aran had more, but he'd never learn the truth of that.  It might be worth a dare to try and find out though.  Maybe get his former mentor drinking and see what happened.  He might admit to how many he had.  And all the while he could 'dare' Sahra into searching Aran's rooms and seeing what sort of weapons he kept stashed.  Not something he'd do himself after the time he had been caught following Aran's Aes Sedai friend around and been forced to wear and dress for a week.  Beautified even. 

"Then we have your weapons and you are ready to go.  Your homework for tonight is simple to handle your weapons a bit.  Do not try to use them, but simply get used to the weight and feel.  Get used to the handle of the whip and the knives.  Tomorrow we'll meet back here to begin some real training." He said with a grin.  "Any questions before we part ways for the day?"

Ursana

((OOC: lesson 1 done... :P)