DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Making the best of a bad situation (Attn: Serena)

The ceiling swam into view as Arath recovered consciousness and opened his eyes.  His head was pounding, and it took him a moment to realize where he was, and what had happened.  The battle.  The Aes Sedai.  The bonding ...  He suddenly realized why his head hurt.  There was a very angry person inside of it.  Sitting up in his bed, Arath took note of his condition and looked for his bondmate.  His ribs had been mended, his shoulder as well.  The healers had done a good job.  Swinging his gaze around, he noted that he was in the small house he currently shared with a few other Asha'man.  The small, angry woman he had bonded was sitting in a chair on the opposite side of the room, staring hatefully at him.  Arath tested the bond lightly, not an altogether pleasant experience, but noted that she wasn't hurt at all.  Someone must have healed her as well.

Arath wasn't quite sure what to do now.  Bonding her had been a sudden decision to keep her from killing him, but he hadn't thought about the long term consequences.  This could end up being a great opportunity, or a living nightmare.  Right now it seemed to be leaning toward the later.  What was he supposed to do?  He was only 19, and wasn't experienced in the manipulating people like the Aes Sedai were.  He would have to be careful.

The staring match continued for a short while until Arath decided to start off with introductions.  "I'm sorry you hate me so much, but unless you can tell me honestly that you wouldn't have killed me, I can't say I'm sorry for what I did.  I am Arath, Asha'man of the Black Tower."

Infuriated, Serena glared at the sleeping form of her new bondmate. She had no earthly idea who he was, his name or otherwise. Nor was she sure that she wanted to ever find out. Her fists shook as they tightened into tiny balls. I hate you. She yelled for the umpteenth time in her head. Not only had she been bonded and kissed by this....whatever he was, the bloody men of this place had Healed her, as well! Granted, she would have died, most likely, if they hadn't. Shaking her head, she continued to clench her teeth and attempt to bore a hole into the sleeping mans head.

"Must be nice to have a good nights rest." She mumbled.

Almost as if he heard her, or felt her, the male channeler stirred and pushed himself up into a sitting position. Tilted emerald eyes watched his every move, as if she were a hawk. He tested the bond and she shot her feelings of rage back at him. Just try to do something else, you bloody cursed man!  No, he was hardly a man! He was a boy! Biting her cheek, she could tell that although his features seemed so young still, his eyes told another story. He had seen more than she had at his age, surely. MOst likely, he had done more than she had as well.

Before her feelings of empathy for him protruded through the bond, she masked them quickly with new feelings of hatred. They sat and stared at eachother for what could have been hours. Serena was perfectly fine saying nothing, and attempting throw daggars through her eyes at him.

"I'm sorry you hate me so much, but unless you can tell me honestly that you wouldn't have killed me, I can't say I'm sorry for what I did.  I am Arath, Asha'man of the Black Tower." His voice seemed to cut through the silence like a heavy iron blade. Wanting to twitch and shiver from being uprooted from her comfortable place in silence, she merely clenched her fists tighter.

Raising an eyebrow, she became quite synical. "Oh, you must think I care, boy! I have no care of where and when you came from, or what name they call you here. I think I might rather be tied to a Trolloc's spit and burn to death, then be sitting across this tiny room from you."  Her words were like icy venom. It was all she could do to try and put herself back in control. Yes, she had to be in control.

The only thing that was keeping her from completely losing herself to the cold and lonely grasp of fear, was her anger and her Gaidar ofcourse. Thera was near by, but Serena could have wished she was closer. How could she regain control of this situation? What could she do?

"Well? I have no doubt you have some wonderful plans for us, boy. However, I am needed elsewhere." The small Aes Sedai stood to leave and headed for the door. Serena was sure she wouldn't get away with it, but there was always a sense in trying. If he makes an attempt to stop me....

Arath blinked in surprise at her venom.  Rather be on a trolloc spit?  Coming from a person who couldn't lie, that was really something.  Her last words almost made him laugh though. 

"Needed elsewhere?  Really?  I can't imagine what would require your attention already, but it can wait a while.  Sit down."  To his surprise, she stopped and turned back toward her chair.  He could feel a surge of outrage and hate flow through the bond, but she moved toward her seat as though it had been her own idea.  He tried to mask his curiousity about her unexpected obedience, but knew some of it must be sifting through the bond, even if he kept it off his face.  Maybe she wouldn't feel it through her own emotional storm.

Arath rubbed his head, wondering what he should do now.  Being bonded to an angry Aes Sedai was a complication he wasn't looking forward to dealing with.  He needed to try and difuse the situation.  Be diplomatic about it.  Unbidden, memories of his interactions with Arette Stavros in Illian sprang to the front of his mind.  He would have to do a much better job this time.  "Look, this is going to be difficult enough as it is without unnecessary hostility from either of us.  I promise I'll be civil with you if you can try to do the same.  Agreed?"  He waited a moment for her response, but when none seemed forthcoming he decided to ask a different question to get started.  "What's your name?"

• 2 weeks later...

No, things never seemed to get worse than they were, but it alway seemed to happen anyways. A phenomenon, perhaps. Be civil? Was this his idea of some kind of joke? Her eyebrow seemed to arch again, and a hint of a sarcastic smile approached her lips. "Surely, this is some type of joke. You wish me to be civil to you? I think you must be suffering from some kind of delusion. Perhaps you have forgotten the events of the past few days." She wanted to call him 'boy', however part of her wished to refuse any acknowledgement of his existance.

Attempting to appear at peace, she stretched one hand out in her lap so she would not ball it up into a fist again. The other hand remained tightly clasped into a fist. It was most likely an odd appearance, but it was all she could do. All her years of training. Years and years of controling her emotions, hiding behind a mask of cool serenity, lost to an unfortunate and brutal bonding.

Her eyes grew even more fierce. Like a green fire lapping at rotting wood. "You bonded me against my will!" Her tone full of accusation. "I cannot just cast aside that fact and pretend as if everything is fine and beautiful. This is not a celebration. Atleast not for me." It may have been an exciting or riveting tale for one of her Sisters to tell, but not for her. Yes, she secretly studied Saidin and had been fascinated by it for quite some time. But NEVER to be bonded to one so closely linked with the Taint.

She cast aside the question of her name as if she had never heard the words come out of his mouth. She could not lie, being bound to the Three Oaths; However, she did not have to speak when spoken to, so she could lie by omission.

Suddenly, a thought came to her. Looking up into his eyes, she asked. "What will you all do with us?"

Serena Morrigan

Blue Ajah

Bonded to Thera Trakelyn AND Arath Faringal

It seemed that they weren't agreed.  Arath watched the fire flare up in the little Aes Sedai's eyes.  Her tone, not quite shouting, was full of a redoubled hatred.  His own eyes narrowed slightly at her accusation, and his own tone took on an icy edge.  "Bonded.  Yet you still live.  I can release you from the bond.  Could you have brought me back from death?"  Silence floated between them for a moment as Arath let his words sink in.  "I remember yesterday quite well.  You attacked me.  You tried to kill me, while I was helping to heal the wounded.  ALL the wounded.  Black or White tower.  You tried to kill one of the few people trying to save life on the battlefield, and yet I'm the monster?"

Arath turned away and tried to rein in his anger.  The image of the dedicated that she had drowned, so shortly after his life had been saved, was floating around in his head and distracting him.  "Think what you wish, Servant of All," he threw the name out mockingly, "but you are not more righteous than I am.  No less a monster than me."

The silence hung heavy in the air for a while.  Arath stared out the window, trying to decide what to do, and doing his best to shut out her churning emotions.  Outside he could see the normal goings on of the tower.  Soldiers and Dedicateds training in the grounds, Asha'man teaching classes or hurrying off to perform other duties.  A few children ran by, seemingly oblivious to the explosions and other noises from the training grounds.  Life went on as normal for everyone at the Farm.  Everyone but Arath.  Light, why did I have to be stuck with this ...

"What will happen with you now?  What would you suggest?  You travelled behind our perimeter, obviously with less than peaceful intentions, and killed several of our men.  Had we done the same in Tar Valon, you would have us killed or gentled.  I think you'll escape that for now, but that will depend on what the M'Hael decides.  As for you personally, I have some things that I would appreciate your help with.  Things that might intrigue you ... eventually.  But until you tell me your name, you won't be leaving this room."

After another silent moment, Arath shook his head slightly and moved for the door.  He didn't know how long she would keep this up, and he had things to do other than sit around and wait for her temper to improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Attempting to gain a grip on herself, Serena tilted her head to the side and spoke calmly and soothingly. "And I suppose, Arath, that slicing an Aes Sedai in two along with several of her Gaidin was a calm approach?" She was referring to their Gate enterance when the leading Aes Sedai had been completely mangled.

"No, I am not so sure that was the best way to go about things either. Besides," she stood as Arath stood, smoothing out her long coat. "how was I to know that you were helping so many whilst blood was being splattered on and around me, what with the din of battle that happened to be going on about us?" All she had known was Dumai's Wells, the Ashaman had not been sparing there either.

"For all I knew, it could have been the same battle that took place at Dumai's Wells. If you want to fight about doing the 'right' and 'wrong' thing. That battle was utter chaos. How was anyone to think this one was any different?"

It had felt exactly the same, to her. Except that there weren't any Aiel about. Pursing her lips, she gave in slightly. "You should atleast be greatful you didn't bond a Red. Although, that might have been fun to..." She trailed off as she realized that many of the Reds had been captured as well. Some, perhaps, even stilled. It was hard not to think that those women would get back some of what they had given. What goes around comes around, a saying she remembered from somewhere.

Shaking her head, she looked up at his hard face. Her own eyes still held the fire she felt within, but she was not going to scold him again. "If you knew the things I have done, the people I have seen, the souls I have Healed, you would not threaten me with Stilling. My life was threatened yesterday, as was everyone's. I will not apologize for what I did. I do not enjoy killing." In fact it made her quite ill, but she did what she had to do to stay alive. "Not all Aes Sedai enjoy Gentling men, you know. Some of them are intrigued by Saidin and the taint that stains your souls. Some Aes Sedai have Healed Ashaman and young Dedicated, or have helped to save them in battle."

Serena did not understand the look she was receiving from behind Arath's eyes, and she searched the bond for some meaning. Perhaps he was settling as well. No, she was not going to give in, but she would attempt to make the best of the situation as she could, and somehow regain control. Wasn't this what she had wanted in a way? Well, not the bonding ofcourse, but to be close enough to see how the male channeller worked?

"As I said, there are some Aes Sedai that do not wish to Gentle you. Not unless there is a severe threat at hand. I am one of those Sisters. I am Serena Morrigan, Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah..." And I would wish to cleanse the taint that eats your soul.

Serena Morrigan

Blue Ajah

Bonded to Thera Trakelyn and Arath Faringal

Arath had paused with his hand on the door as she spoke.  "As I said, there are some Aes Sedai that do not wish to Gentle you. Not unless there is a severe threat at hand. I am one of those Sisters. I am Serena Morrigan, Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah..."   It was a start at least.  Still not very friendly, but at least he knew her name.  But her other words weighed heavily on him for now.  Dumai's Wells.  She was implying that she had healed Asha'man at that battle?  That wasn't what he remembered, was it?  Come to think of it he only remembered seeing her at the battle, and only for a brief moment.  He really didn't know who had attacked him and put him in that coma.

"Dumai's Wells.  I'll have to take your word on your actions there.  I don't remember much of that battle.  Or anything for months afterwards.  I remember seeing you there though.  One of the last things I can remember actually."  He trailed off for a moment, trying to remember everything he could.  But there was nothing new.

"Thankyou for telling me your name, Serena Sedai.  Now then, I don't know about you, but I'm starving."  Thanks to the bond, he really did know that she was just as hungry as him, but he thought it best to act as though the bond wasn't there.  No need to constantly remind her.  He pushed open the door and held it for her.  "I can show you around a little and we can figure out what will be happening while . . . during your stay here."