DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A shot at redemption [attn. Michael]

silhouette

The rain ticking softly against the window of her bedroom was a familiar and welcome sound. Tear had it’s fair share of rain, which made it a humid country if one travelled more inland. The coast had a far more pleasant climate, even it the rain still came and went whenever it chose. It suited her. A little rain every now and then gave a woman a chance to be melancholy without admitting to the real reasons behind it. She sighed, and stared out the window and onto the shore a bit more, the way she had when she fled the White Tower only to find herself stuck in Tear without a purpose.

That had changed soon enough, with the arrival of Michael, and the birth of her first child. There was nothing like a bit of motherhood to give a woman a sense of being useful. It hadn’t kept her occupied long enough to Michael’s liking, but perhaps too long after all. She closed her eyes for a moment as she thought of the note Mina had left her on the table. Yet another one of her children running off somewhere without leaving word of her location. That was too harsh on Toulan and Gabriel, of course, but Leon did enough hiding from her to make up for the lack of it from her younger children.

Soft footsteps signalled the approach of her husband. How long had it been since he first entered her bedroom like that? she had been seated in a chair in front of the window, staring out into the vast nothingness she saw in her future. A lifetime, it seemed sometimes, yet for all she cared it could have been yesterday.  “It’s raining.” She stated, more to let him know she acknowledged his presence than to point out the obvious. “It’s raining, and I’m a terrible mother.” She sighed at that.

There was no point in denying it though. Her eldest son hadn’t spoken to her of the things he had on his mind since he was fourteen. Her daughter had chosen a profession her father would never agree with, and her youngest son was so conflicted by his thoughts on Light and Shadow that he seemed to live in fear of being exposed by either side  any moment now. And then she left out the young woman she had adopted into her family, because she had no idea where to start fixing her. Never had. Mina was a mystery still, and it seemed like all the love Nyssa had to give to her would never be enough to make her whole again. All in all it was enough for her to allow herself a moment of melancholy on a rainy day.

~Nyssa Deameau

Hormonal dreadlady on the loose.

It was good to be home, that was Michael's first thought as he crossed the threshold.  For months she had been withdrawn, and he was having only limited success in prying her open now.  It hurt seeing her hurt, but he couldn't really see much that they could do about it.  Mina had no success with the men she had been with, he'd asked Noel for an answer but he wouldn't let anything slip and the only reason it hadn't come to blows was because they'd been in the Fortress and the Shadow's Peace held sway.  Having said that, if Michael caught the man outside of the Fortress then he was going to have a nice and long chat with him.

All the while Leon stayed away, and because he answered to a different master he couldn't do much.  Leon reported to Duram only now, staying away from home instead of being with Mina where he always had been.  The two had always been so close, it was that sadness and the distance between them that wounded Nyssa as much as Leon not talking to his mother.  But, Leon had made his choice and Michael could only hope that one day the boy would wake up and come home again.  Much like he had after his nineteenth birthday.

Making his way up the steps, he padded his way to his bedroom to find Nyssa in there, staring out the window.  That was always a bad sign, it meant that Nyssa was worrying.  Something confirmed as she spoke and he was quick to walk over and wrap his arms around her from behind, pulling her close to him as he rested a chin on her right shoulder.  "You are not a terrible mother, and if you still had your oaths you would have choked on that before it even got out."

"Ah, shh."  Gently quieting her protest, Michael continued.  "They've made their own choices.  If you try and tell me that we didn't love them enough then I'll call you on that lie as well.  Leon will come back, Toulan is doing well, Gabriel is confused but he'll come through.  Mina will settle down eventually and find someone, just have to have hope."

“I don’t think our love was ever the problem.” Nyssa whispered as she leaned back against Michael, finding comfort in his embrace. She had never told Michael of her suspicions about the root of the problems between Mina and Leon. There were a lot of things she never told Michael about. Little lies to keep a marriage healthy, her mother had always called them. As it was, Nyssa had started to resent them. What if she had shared her thoughts with Michael from the start? Would things have been different? It was likely. Michael had a refreshing way of looking at things that often offered solutions she wouldn’t have thought of on her own.

“Poor Mina.” She said, still staring out the window. “All those men she dated, all because she thought I wanted her to. I just wanted her to be happy. I should’ve seen it when she asked me to find her someone of a certain type.” Had that type not reminded her of Leon instantly? In a way she had always known that the crush Leon had had on Mina when he was fourteen hadn’t faded as well as the boy would have liked. She just hadn’t thought of the possibility of her son and her adopted daughter being happy together because of Mina’s past. “I was blind and stupid, and that’s what makes me a terrible mother.”

“Saviene never had any trouble with this sort of thing.” Nyssa’s own mother had been gentle and loving with her children, and a hard and cold manipulator to everyone else. She would have dealt with it properly. Nyssa closer her eyes, suddenly tired of the rain. “Saviene would have put them in a room together with a keg of wine and locked the door. She wouldn’t have allowed them to come out of it until they were well and properly together. I should have done that. I should have talked to them, at the very least.” But alas, she had to go and respect their choices.

"Hush."  Reaching up with one hand, Michael caressed his wife's face gently as he tried to steady her as best he could.  She blamed herself too much as far as he was concerned.  Yes, maybe there were different things that could have been done, but all of their children had known they could come and ask them for help.  They'd never told them they were alone, but not everyone could ask for help and someone who didn't want help was usually someone who wouldn't listen when it was given to them.  You could drag a horse to water but you couldn't make them drink.

Not that he blamed her for blaming herself.  She shouldn't have, but he could understand it.  He didn't like what had happened with Mina and Leon, both of them going their ways as they had.  Leon should have been there for his sister but instead he was off doing something else, Great Lord knew what but he chose not speak of it so prying would be useless.  And Mina in turn, he had hoped she would find happiness with one of the men she found.  But all of them had eventually reduced her to tears, except Noel who seemed to have done something worse.  Except he wasn't sure of that, he'd find out sooner or later though.

It was then that something occured to Michael.  Nyssa had spoken of her mother putting them in a room together.  What them?  She'd been talking about Mina and now them?  Turning Nyssa around so she couldn't stare off into the rain anymore, he kept one arm around her waist while his free hand gently tilted her chin up so she'd look at him.  "Nyssa."  Kissing her on the lips, it took a few tries before he got a bit of a response.

Now that he had her eyes open and paying attention, Michael slipped his free hand down around her as he asked the question on his mind.  "What them?  What are you talking about?"

Even as she let Michael draw her away from the window, Nyssa felt that his next question was the one that started many of their arguments. ‘What are you talking about’ often meant that she had just confessed something to him, something that she’d chosen to keep hidden from him before. Not this time, she hoped. “I’m talking about our son and the wonderful young woman we took into our home when Duram brought her there. Ah, Michael, he’s been in love with her since she was fourteen, and I always kept expecting him to grow out of it. Thought it was just puppy love. But here he is, hiding from her because he can’t stand to see her with other men and hiding from us because he doesn’t want us to see what he’s doing to himself because of it.”

“And she… With all the men we’ve all knowingly set her up with, and all the ones she rejected… even Noel, because even though he was a good man, he wasn’t Leon.” She looked up at Michael again, trying to read his expression. “I always expected her to realise that she wasn’t looking in the right places. All these hopes and expectations, and all the hardships they put themselves through, and I could have put an end to it before it even began to sour for both of them.”

Not what he'd expected Nyssa to say, but a lot of things began clicking into place at once.  Leon and Mina, it explained why both of them were miserable instead of just one.  Tracing the line backwards to when Leon was fourteen, Michael all of a sudden felt it dawn on him, that camping trip Leon took by himself.  He had thought the boy bored and wanting a bit of adventure, he'd never even contemplated that there might be another reason.  And everything else...  Michael shook his head.  "Not your fault.  You can't say for sure that stepping in would have fixed it.  I don't think your mother could have put the pair of us together, that was as much timing as it was our own doing.  Some things people do need to work out for themselves."

Nyssa couldn’t help but smile at that thought. “If someone had put us in a room with a keg of wine the first time we met, I’m sure one of us would have ended up dead.” She said, giving her husband an affectionate kiss on the nose. She sighed then, thinking of all the things Leon and Mina had put themselves through, all in the name of love. “It seems like complicated romances run in the family too. Let’s just hope they can pull themselves together before one of them does something rash and silly like walking into the ocean with the intention to drown themselves.”

Shaking his head, Michael kissed his wife's forehead.  That was something he didn't like to think about much, he'd almost lost her that day and the thought of it, even if he hadn't realised his feelings at that point, had been terrible then let alone in hindsight.  "They'll pull themselves together, just takes a lot of faith."  Smiling at the look that got from Nyssa, Michael continued.  "Yes, faith.  Their better sides will win out eventually, even if they're set on indulging stupidity for the moment.  If they inherit complicated romance from us then they have to inherit the happy turn it took, even if it took us awhile."

“At least we were quicker about it than they are.” Nyssa said with a laugh on her voice. “If this is a trend, imagine what our grandchildren will have to go through. I think I’ll have to warn Duram about that, maybe he can speed things up a bit. Who knows, our grandchildren might even take less than a decade to realise that they’re in love and do something about it.” If there would ever be grandchildren. She shuddered at the thought. “I’m too young to be a grandmother.” She said, shaking her head. “I’ve only just gotten used to the idea of being a mother.”

Laughing, Michael was glad that he had managed to pry her out of her worry, this was more the wife he knew and loved.  He had to admit the idea of grandchildren worried him a little, but from what he'd been told it wasn't so bad.  It was all the fun but none of the responsibility, changing diapers had been a necessary job but he'd be glad not to have to do that again.  Besides, it would do to have the sound of young children in the house again.  Kissing her, he pulled away slightly as he grinned impudently.  "You sell yourself short, and Grandma does roll off the tongue."

Pulling a face, Nyssa gave Michael a mock punch. “Now you’re just making me feel old. Just keep in mind that if I’m old, you’re ancient. Why, I’m surprised you’re not walking around with a bent back and a cane already. In fact, I think I’ll go tell Toulan that you’re quite ready to become a grandfather. I’m sure she can find a suitably worthless young man to knock her up. Or maybe Gabriel, though knowing that boy he’ll probably bring home an Aes Sedai.” She wrinkled her nose at that. He’d probably bring home a red sister too. Or even worse, a blue sister.

Smirking at the wrinkled nose as much as the comment about him wielding a cane, Michael murmured.  "I'll show you ancient."  Pinching her backside got a yelp and an immediate retaliation as her fingers went to his ribs.  Laughing as he stumbled backward, he fell onto the bed and Nyssa ontop of him.  Grabbing her hands and forcing them back from him, she wasn't going anywhere as her legs latched onto his side so he cheated.  Letting go of her, he grabbed her waist instead and pulled her down to him, her lips to his as he showed her exactly how 'ancient' he was.

Ever since talking to Michael about the situation with Leon and Mina, Nyssa had felt a lot better. It was good to have her husband home again, and even more so now that all her children were off doing something else. While she loved them dearly, she was starting to realise that she had also been longing for the time when she and Michael had just been married. It hadn’t taken Michael long to get her pregnant then, but they had still enjoyed the time they spent together a great deal, just as they were doing now. Not having to worry about the prying eyes of their children had many benefits, and it seemed as though they were determined to rediscover each and every one of them.

After being chased out of the kitchen for the third time that week, Nyssa decided it was time for a walk. The maze behind the house had grown well since she decided to move to Tear, and it was still the perfect place for her to find some alone time. A soft breeze gave her Goosebumps, and she rubbed her arms in an absentminded gesture to get rid of them. This in term reminded her of Michaels arms around her, which led to the arising of more goosebumps. “Silly…” she muttered, smiling at herself and shaking her head. “Acting like a blushing novice.” It wasn’t to be helped though. She was just… sensitive, at the moment, and Michael seemed eager enough to take advantage of that. Not that she minded much, but it was a little odd.

A little voice in the back of her mind told her that this was all very familiar though. She was about to push that thought aside when she realised just how familiar. “Oh… blood and…” she muttered, stopping in her tracks. The last time she’d been this sensitive to anyone’s touches was right before she found out she was with child for the third time. “but… it’s not possible.” Or was it? She had been careless with her weaves lately, letting them slide when Michael was out on his missions. It wasn’t like she ran a risk of getting pregnant while he wasn’t home, after all. She couldn’t remember if she had checked the weaves before he returned. She usually did, but often only briefly before going to bed on the day he returned.

She had definitely been too preoccupied to think of it a few weeks ago. Or at any time after that. Closing her eyes for a moment, she cursed at herself for being that careless. Just when they were both celebrating the fact that they could spend time together without their children. After mentally scolding herself, she ran back to the house in search of Michael. She soon discovered that he was outside as well, splitting wood. The sight of her shirtless husband brought a cheeky grin on her face, before she remembered what exactly she was there for. “Michael? We need to talk…”

~Nyssa Deameau

Ever since finding Nyssa so upset after returning from a week long mission, Michael had very pointedly taken several steps.  The most important of which had been to see Rasputin and ask for time away from his work, something that he'd been more than willing to accede to once he'd realised something had been wrong and that Michael needed the time, as did Nyssa.  Only having to leave the home for brief spells at most, he was never gone for more than a few hours on the occasional days where he had to go to the Fortress.

The second step had been keeping his wife occupied, something made easier by the lack of people.  With their children away, only a few retainers were required and it practically gave them the run of the place.  It reminded him much of when they had first started out together, when they'd needed little except each other and had spent hours simply sitting down together and talking.  Well, they didn't really talk that much, they were usually too occupied for that now, especially since they most certainly didn't have to worry about prying eyes or the pitter patter of small feet heralding one of their children blundering in on them having a moment together.

Lastly, he'd kept himself busy as well.  Michael wasn't given for voicing his worries often, but he also had his faith to hold him steady.  Not in his beliefs, but rather in his children.  They would figure out the right things, eventually.  Even if they all made him despair at one point or another, deep down they had the right stuff, ticker, that extra something that would pull them through.  Having said that, he still worried a little, but splitting wood was as good a way as any to work off the extra energy he had.

At least until Nyssa had wandered over him working away.  Seeing the cheeky grin on her face as she said they needed to talk, Michael grinned back at her as he sank the axe into the stump he'd been using as a chopping block.  Putting his left foot up on the stump, he rested his arm upon his knee as he puffed his chest up and posed.  It was usually a good way to tempt her to poke his ribs or for her to play along, and either way it would end well.  Indeed, she'd rediscovered the carefree vigour of their early marriage as much as he had.

His grin taking an impudent edge, Michael couldn't help it.  "What would you like to speak of, my little honeydew."

~ Michael Daemeau

It was tempting to just forget about the suspicions she had, and let herself be drawn into the all too familiar game of trying to bait the other. A game that usually only knew one end, and two winners. After all, she wasn’t completely sure yet. Why worry now? They had been obscenely content with just the two of them over the past few days. But keeping this from him would go against the promise she made to herself two weeks ago. From that moment on, she had vowed to herself that she’d tell Michael everything that was on her mind, lest she get drawn away from him by it again.

“I’ve got news, I think.” She said, suddenly feeling unsure of herself. What if she really was just imagining it? She shook her head slightly and wandered over to Michael, putting her hands on his chest. They could always have a good laugh about it later if that was the case. “I think… that we may have been a little silly, a few weeks ago.” Or maybe she had just been the silly one. Either way, what was done was done, and she could hardly say she regretted the moment. “I think I might be with child again.”

Another child?  Shock, consternation, elation, worry, pride, love, fear and just about every other emotion passed over Michael's face in one moment as he tried to grapple with what he'd just been told.  Another child?  They'd never talked about having more children after their trio had grown and had adopted a fourth.  It had just never come up, and now this.  Another child?  Running a hand down to her abdomen, Michael looked back up at Nyssa's face and as a broad grin splashed across his face.  Taking her into his arms, a whoop escaped him as he twirled her about in a circle before setting her down and kissing her.  Another child!

Michael’s response had been nothing like what she’d expected. She had expected him to be upset with her for not checking her weaves. Or maybe she had expected him to be in denial, or worried, or angry, or afraid. She had never expected him to be as happy as he appeared to be now. His enthusiasm was infectious though, and soon she found herself laughing with him, letting him twirl her about and kiss her. A little out of breath she stood safely in the circle of his arms. “Well, at least it explains why you’ve been even more irresistible than usual lately.” She said, running a hand over his bare shoulder.

"Well, I am irresistable."  Laughing at the poke in the ribs that comment earned and being accused of being as subtle as a brigand, Michael looked around.  He couldn't see or hear anyone, no witnesses.  He was as she commanded after all.  "Well, if I'm a brigand, you're mine to take."  Getting a squawk from her as she playfully attempted to fend him off, he quickly picked her up and slung her over his shoulder as he carried her off to the nearby shed where they normally stored their firewood.  Shutting the door behind them, the playful protests became something else altogether.

"Alright, alright."

Feeling a touch embarrassed, more because of the teasing they would surely receive, Leon slipped his hand into Mina's as they began the walk up the path that led to his family.  It had been months since he had trodden it, now he did so with the woman he loved by his side who until a couple of weeks earlier, never thought he would be walking to his family with their hands linked and hearts entwined.  His step carried a confidence it hadn't known for a long time, a lighter stride that revealed that a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

His entire appearance had changed for that matter.  It had only been a couple of weeks but he had put weight on again, still thin but not nearly as bad as he was.  His hair had grown back to its usual length, more colour was in his cheeks and there wasn't even the faintest hint of wine about him.  Indeed, one of the very first things he had done was to burn all of those wine kegs, he had no interest in drinking now.  Especially after the dark paths it had helped lead him down, he was done with that part of his life and he had no wish to revisit it.

He'd also burned his old clothes, save those that had been presents but those he had stopped wearing since he'd left.  They weren't tainted like the ones he'd needed to be rid of.  Indeed, he was wearing a nice green doublet that his mother had gifted to him from his nineteenth birthday.  It certainly went well with the black breeches and knee high boots he was wearing, a present from his father in turn.  The doublet also went with Mina's high necked dress, a similar hue and unlike her as she had always worn black.  There was no need to mourn any longer.

Passing through the gates onto the manor proper, much had changed but unlike the last time Leon had left, he didn't feel the trepidation he had before.  He was nervous that was true, as well as unsure of what his parents and others would think.  But he had Mina now, they had each other, he was certain that things would work out.  They'd just been through the worst of the worst, at this point things could only get better now.  He was sure their parents would accept them, they had to.

Pausing before the front door, it was a quick kiss from Mina that gave him the confidence necessary to knock.  Hearing a call from within to wait a moment, Leon already knew who it was who was walking to the door to open it.  Smiling at Mina as he squeezed her hand, the moment the door opened Leon threw himself at Mary who was shocked not only at being grabbed but by who had pulled her into his embrace even as Mina hugged her as well.  The curses dying on Mary's lips, she instead was busy blinking away tears as she whispered hotly that if Leon ever did this a third time she'd beat him stupid with a pan.

After a minute, they parted and Leon asked where their family was.  Mary didn't know where mother was, but father was out the back by the shed chopping firewood and both their siblings were outside the manor.  So, taking Mina's hand, Leon led the way even as Mary watched them with a touch of disbelief but for the most part happiness as they made their way through the house until they emerged out the back.  The shed was only a short distance away but Leon couldn't hear the sound of an axe at work, indeed he could see it lodged in the stump wherethe wood was normally cut.

That was strange, father never left tools out.

Walking towards the shed, Leon figured that father must be somewhere nearby to have left the axe there.  So, he began calling out, Mina joining him as they looked for their parents, by blood and adoption respectively.

Brigand or not, Nyssa was all too happy to be ‘abducted’ and ‘abused’ by her fiendish husband. Giggling like a novice who felt a hand under her dress for the first time, she accepted Michael’s attentions. Besides, it wasn’t like he could get her pregnant again, that had already happened some weeks ago. She found she could get used to the thought of hearing little feet pitter patter through the house again. Mary was getting a little old for helping her raise yet another child, but after hearing the old maid mutter about it being time for grandchildren, Nyssa doubted that she’d mind much.

And she would get another chance, and this time, should her child be so fortunate to find love she would teach it to hold on to it like nothing else in its life. She smiled up down at Michael even as he tried to remove her dress with his teeth, no doubt ruining it for further use forever, or at least until one of the more handy maids could get their hands on it. Apparently the smile was one that inspired great new things, because Michael instantly lifted her from her feet again, only to put her down on a stack of chopped wood. It wasn’t the most comfortable spot she’d ever been, but Nyssa found she was willing to accept a lot in situations like these.

A sudden call stirred her out of the haze she’d been in. A loud ‘Mom?!’ and ‘Dad?!’ seemed to echo through the woods outside the shed, startling both Nyssa and Michael. Those words, said in that voice were the last thing Nyssa had expected to hear at that moment. “Leon?” she whispered. Then another voice joined the calling. “Mina?” Together. Together at last? Grinning broadly, she made her way over to the door, only to be stopped by a hand on her arm. Michael was looking at her with a mischievous grin.

“They’re going to look in here anyway.” She said. Her husband shook his head slightly, still grinning. “What?” A finger pointing at her chest told her exactly what. “Oh. Well, that would have been embarrassing.” She muttered, pulling up her dress again. “There, much better.” She peeked out of the shed, and found Mina and Leon standing quite closeby already, clearly on their way to the shed. “Ehm. Hi.” She said, grinning at her children. They were holding hands. “Finally…” she said, her grin turning into a warm smile. A pair of hands snuck around her waist again, threatening to pull her away from the door. “Will you two… ehm… wait inside the house for a bit? we’ll just be a minute. Or two. Maybe ten.” And with that said she let Michael pull her into the shed again. “Well… where were we again?” Her children were in for quite a surprise… but not yet.

Two weeks was far too short time to catch up with two years of lost time but Mina and Leon had done their best and they did have the rest of their life together. She was filled with an inner glow of true happiness and Leon striding beside her was a changed man from couple of weeks back when he had been drowning his sorrows to lowsy wine. "Well?", she asked a tad impatiently when he made no gesture to take her hand like they had discussed. He had wanted to surprise everyone completely but Mina had argued that they were not of habit of staring out of the windows all the time and besides, she needed the comfort as she was nervous of the reactions. Accompanied with puppy dog eyes and please he had agreed at most satisfying speed and she wondered if the trick would work with things he opposed a bit more if such issues would arise.

She doubted that anyone would be very surprised anyway. She had made a quick visit home to fetch clothes and let everyone know that she was alright and at Leon's urging she had packed also some happier coloured clothes than the somber black she usually wore. The dress she had donned today matched Leon's gift doublet and had been a birthday present from her mother. She was certain that the similar colours were not a coincidence and the double symbolism of motherly approval and encouragement she wished for was important to her. It was her lucky charm. She had no doubt of Nyssa's and Michael's love for her as a daughter but because of her past and all the suffering her blindness had caused to Leon, they might not see her as a perfect match for him romantically.

Poor Leon looked so hesitant at the front door that she had to give him a quick kiss of courage. Expectedly it was Mary who opened the door and Mina joined the teary group embrace. She promised that they wouldn't be going anywhere in a long time, another conversation they had had, and Mary briefed them on the whereabouts of the rest of the family. This time Lee didn't have to be prodded to take her hand and Mary's disbelieving look made her smile. How she knew the feeling, two weeks ago she hadn't had the slightest idea that Leon could ever think of her in this way.

Their father wasn't at sight and as Leon began to holler for him, she joined her voice to the chorus. Michael would be so glad to see his son again and it was kind of easier to tell him the news before Nyssa. As they got no reply, she suggested that they looked into the shed. "Maybe dad has gotten tired in his advanced years and is napping", she suggested with an incredulous chuckle. Her jaw dropped in shock when their mother's head peeked unexpectedly out of the door and was that... Great Lord, her dress was unbuttoned from behind. So that was what they had been up to in the shed. You just did not presume that of your parents.

"Finally", Nyssa said and Mina knew that she had taken in them holding hands. Mother was smiling, she had nothing against it. Her grip tightened of Leon's hand as relief flooded her. The day turned out to be one of lightning changes of emotions. Her mouth was ajar only seconds later as Michael's strong hands begun to pull Nyssa back in. The door of the shed closed and she and Leon exchanged shocked looks. She laughed weakly. "You heard Mom, Lee. Lets give them their... ahem, peace."

It took her a moment to recover but she was filled with such mirth that she just had to channel it somehow. Raising her voice, she called to the two lovers inside. "You take as long as you need. Two hours, three... Dad, we are severely disappointed in you if you two show up any sooner. We are not going anywhere."

With that she began to drag Leon back to the manor.

Mina Daemeau

Happy for all four of them... plus the three ;)

It was the better part of an hour before Michael and Nyssa emerged from the shed with smiles on their faces and their arms entwined around each other.  One of the things they'd learned early on in their marriage was how to clean up quickly, which explained their pristine appearance.  The one power was a many splendid thing, and with the right application it could be used to wash oneself and iron ones clothes while they were still wearing them in record time.  Something that precluded the necessity of them needing to sneak off to their quarters to their ensuite and changing their clothes.

But, that isn't really important to the story.

What is important is that the pair made their way inside and found their eldest son and adopted daughter sitting together at a lounge in their living room.  Finally.  After two years, they'd finally realised what Nyssa had known all along, and even if Michael had only known for a couple of weeks he was more than happy to see the pair had finally come to realise their love.  Not only to see the pair of them happy, but to also know that his wife would stop blaming herself and fearing that the pair would be forever miserable.  He could feel how relaxed Nyssa was in his arms.

Even as the got to their feet, Michael smiled.  "Well, its good to see that I was right.  Ow!"  Glancing irritatedly at his wife who'd just poked him in the ribs, Michael frowned then sighed dramatically.  "Fine, fine.  I only realised about the pair of you when my darling wife here decided to tell me after Mina left the note.  But, I had faith.  But, what do the pair of you have to say about yourselves, hmm?"

It was Leon who spoke first, and none too certain either.  "Well, ah, we sort of might have taken a bit long to get around to it, but we came to realise that we, well, you kn-  Mina!"  It was oddly disquieting that Mina decided to mirror his mother by poking him much the way mother had poked his father in the ribs.  But, if she thought she knew better then she could do it.  Smiling at her, he squeezed her hand as he said.  "Well, if you can do better, you tell them."

Mary had pampered her and Leon for the better part of an hour and fed them food like they were babies. Luckily Mina had been deemed to be in good enough flesh, she had been after all living with the family all this time. But to her mortification she heard mutterings about it being time for grandchildren and having to gather strenght for that. Leon luckily didn't hear or he might yet bolt. Great Lord, they had just found each others and she wanted to enjoy the bliss of love peacefully for maybe about a decade before risking it in any way. And she wasn't certain if she ever wanted children. She had her street urchins to spend her maternal feelings on but she doubted that she would make a good mother for her own flesh and blood. And considering what worries all four of them had caused to Nyssa... no, being a mother was a very worrying prospect.

The food had finally been taken away and the two of them were leaning on each others with stuffed bellies when their parents made an entrance. They both stood up and smiled at Michael and Nyssa who looked very... well, better not linger on it. Blush crept on Mina's cheeks when Michael declared that he had been right. So the teasing would commence immediately. It was deserved and they would have tormented someone else for a similar stupidity in the old days at least but she hoped that they would get over it soon and just enjoy having Leon home with them finally.

How long had mother known and why hadn't she said anything over the years? But then others, namely Tomas, had tried to get the message through her thick skull and it hadn't helped. Mainly because Leon hadn't given her the right kind of signals when she had tried to ask him in an idiotic way. She must have had really hurt him to repeat the old 'joke' from Cairhien days right before going to see Noel. If only he would have responded in a kind... it would have been likely enough to make her change her mind about the whole date, she had been reluctant enough to start with in the end. Still, it was water under the bridge now and the affair with Noel had had its uses too even if it had been mainly a disaster. She and Leon were finally together.

It wasn't often that she saw Lee flustered enough to ramble like that. She jabbed him lightly in the ribs to knock him out of it and he saw fit to have her explain. She gave him a glare but finally shrugged, glad of the comfort of holding his hand. "The most important thing is that we are together now. Oh Mom and Dad, I have never been happier in my life. I don't mean that I haven't been happy before, you have given me everything after all... it's just... this is exactly what I was looking for, just from the wrong people."

"I am sad for the years wasted. If we had given each others a bit more signals that there was something else, this might have happened two years ago. Or then it wouldn't have because..." The red on her cheeks deepened. "I refused to admit it until I absolutely couldn't anymore. Tomas told me as much but I wouldn't believe it." She shook her head extremely ill at ease.

"But can we please not dwell on the past anymore. Are you alright with this?" She faced Nyssa and Michael squarely but she was deathly afraid that they did have reservations under the smiles. "You may love me but this is different. I... I mean, I doubt that I am the first person you would imagine together with Leon. And because of my past... and this whole mess... I can see why you would be worried that it wouldn't work out."

But it would work even if they opposed it. It would be painful but she would never give up Leon now. She just had to find out if they had reservations. Of course she wished that there weren't any but better air them now than let them fester in quiet.

Mina Daemeau

Desiring acceptance

Though it had hardly seemed possible, Nyssa felt herself glow even warmer when she saw her son and her daughter sitting on the couch together. Finally together. Leon looked well, if still a little on the skinny side, and Mina… Mina looked as if she had finally freed herself from her past. The ghosts that had been haunting her for all those years were finally gone. As so often before when she saw Mina make a significant step forward in her healing, Nyssa felt herself tear up. It was only Michael’s presence at her side that stopped her from turning into a bawling mess. Well, that and the fact that she rarely let go of herself that way to begin with.

“Mina…” she started, after looking at both her son and her daughter for a while. She could feel that they were both nervous, both eager to gain their acceptance. Michael had been clear enough about it, but she understood that especially Mina would need to hear it from her mouth as well. “Some parents are lucky.” She said, smiling at both her children. “They are lucky to discover that their children find love once they leave the comfort of the houses they grew up in. They are lucky to discover that their children are doing well, with their loves and their own lives, which they choose to live separately from their parents.”

“Some parents are even more fortunate, for their children choose lovers that are well suited for them. They choose to be with people who will care for them, and help them, and be there for them for as long as they live.” She paused a moment, giving Michael’s hand a little squeeze. No matter what their past was, she felt that both their parents could be proud of the life they were living now. “If a parent is particularly fortunate, they will find that they get along with their children’s spouses. In time, they may come to see these spouses as children of their own.”

“And then you have us, who have had the joy of raising three wonderful children, and getting a fourth in the process. We do not have to spend years and years getting to know you as the woman who loves our eldest son. You were our daughter then, and you are our daughter now. The only thing that changes is that you will smile more, and Leon will smile more. What more can a mother desire from her children, other than that they are happy?”

~Nyssa Deameau

a big old sappy dreadlady.

Nyssa spoke finally and Mina hung on to her every word. Her acceptance was everything to her and even if she could be happy with just Leon, the bliss would be dimmed if their mother did not approve. The smile promised good but Nyssa's description of children who lived their lives separately from their parents made her brow furrow slightly. She and Leon would never live entirely apart from their family even if they some day did move to Leon's house... or well, their house once they just built it. Nyssa continued and Mina still couldn't quite see where she was heading but the direction was very good. She very much wanted to be seen as a well suited match for Leon and more than anything she wanted the distinction of being adopted to fade from everyone's mind.

Finally she understood that it had been a comparison. She was starting to tear up from the moment Nyssa refered to her as their child too but she wept openly and unabashedly after being called their daughter. She tried to very hard smile through her tears since that was what Nyssa wanted to see. And since she was filled with such dizzying happiness, it would have been difficult to keep the radiant beam from her face.

Stepping beside Nyssa, she crushed her into a hug. "Oh Mom. Sob. I... I... Sob... love you so... Sob... much." She didn't know how long they just held each others and Nyssa stroke her hair but finally she was able to control her tears. She rained a bunch of kisses on her mother's cheek and pulled back fishing a handkerchief off her sleeve. She dabbed her eyes and drew a few steadying breaths before blowing her nose audibly. That made everyone laugh and she walked to Michael and gave him also a good squeeze that was returned in a kind. "And I love you too, Dad."

She withdrew with an insolent grin. "Me and Leon do hold real respect for you despite your advanced age or maybe exactly because of that. Lets hope that Lee has inherited your stamina beside all the other awesome qualities that are evident in both; the handsome looks, the irresistible charm... I could go on forever." She sighed dramatically and looked at Leon teasingly. "I couldn't have the best man in the world since he was taken already by a woman all other women pale to so I had to settle for the second best younger version."

Mina Daemeau

Happy to be home

While Mina and Nyssa were both pouring their hearts out to each other, both Leon and Michael were not quite so caught up in the whole moment.  Maybe it was because there was a shared stoicism between them when it came to feelings, especially infront of others, or maybe it was just because they were both had large levels of testosterone that didn't permit that sort of thing to begin with.  Family or not, there were just some emotions that didn't tend to be expressed infront of anyone but a partner, unlike women who seemed to be able to just let it run at the drop of a hat.

That wasn't to say that Leon wasn't glad that everything had been accepted, or that Michael wasn't glad that things were going smoothly.  It was just, well, it was.

The nosiy nose blowing merited a laugh from the pair though, especially with the embarrassed look on her face as she did it.  Michael in particular, Mina had come a long way, and after how she had been for so long it was good to see her normal again.  Though he got a surprise at the hug he received, he returned it easily enough as Nyssa had been right.  She was already their daughter, and finally happy after everything that had occurred.

Smiling at her jokes, Michael answered in turn.  "All Daemeau men are like wine, we get better with age."  That helped widen the smile on Leon's face, as well as getting a laugh from Mina and a comment from Nyssa.  Raising an eyebrow at his wife as he grinned back at her, Michael turned to the younger pair as he added.  "Your mother has something to tell you as well, once she's finished being overly clever."

“As my husband you should know that I’m never done with being clever.” Nyssa said, giving Michael another playful poke in the ribs. Truth was she would have enjoyed keeping the joyful news between the two of them just a little longer. Not that that was ever going to happen. She was surprised Mary hadn’t noticed already. The maid had always had a knack for seeing exactly when and how long Nyssa had been pregnant. She had known it with all three of her children, sharing secret smiles with Michael, who at that time often had no idea of what the smiles were about. Maybe Mary was getting old after all.

The longer she stalled, the more eager Mina and Leon seemed to get. Mina shifted forward to the edge of the couch, and Leon seemed to fidget a little. Nyssa gave her children a little smile, before turning to Michael. “You really think we should tell them already? After all, we only just found out today.” Getting a gleeful nod from him, she shrugged and turned to her children again. “Well, it’s really nothing special. After all, we’ve been through this sort of thing before, and it ended up fine so far.”

Leon seemed eager to speak, trying to draw the news out of his mother with a roll of his eyes and a frustrated sigh. “No patience… You will train him in that, I hope?” she said, smiling at Mina. Her daughter seemed to be just as annoyed as her son though. “A perfect match, apparently.” She said, smirking slightly. “Well, we’ve only just figured it out today, but… it looks like I’m expecting again.”

The news was met with a pair of blank stares. “Expecting. You know, pregnant. With child. I think I’m about three weeks along.” The looks on the faces of her children were priceless. She turned to Michael again. “See? They don’t believe a word of what I’m saying. They probably think I’m too old for children… and that after we went through all that trouble to prove them that age is just a very unimportant number…”

~Nyssa Deameau

Get on with it already. The news were good ones, that much was obvious from the delighted grins Nyssa and Michael kept sharing but their mom seemed to be intent on keeping them simmering maybe thanks to all the worries and trouble they had given her over the years. She gave a long suffering sigh when Nyssa asked Michael whether they should know or not. "Mom", she protested at the same time Nyssa told her that she needed to teach Leon patience. He knew it well enough for her taste and she wanted to know just as badly as he did.

Expecting. What was that supposed to mean? Her jaw dropped in shock when Nyssa elaborated further and drove the point home. Yes, she likely would have thought Nyssa to be too old if she had really thought on it. Their youngest child was seventeen after all. But you just didn't speculate things like that about your parents. Still, it was awesome news. She and Leon would have to change their plans about moving out. Mom would need more help in the house and with everything, especially when the baby was born. Since Leon seemed to be unable to speak yet, she poked him on the side again and cleared her throat with a beam.

"That is really wonderful! Congratulations. I'm just... uh... we're both... surprised. But happy of course." Had they really planned this? No, you just didn't ask that kind of thing from your parents. "Does Mary know yet?" The slight change on Nyssa's look said no and Mina smirked. "Oh, soon she won't let you to do anything yourself. And me and Leon will be here to aid you too. Leon promises to take care of the diapers and all that, won't you sweetie?" She gave him a sweet smile but his look made her direct her attention back to their mom quickly. "But really, you will be the most pampered pregnant woman ever, we promise."

Mina Daemeau

To be a big sister again

• 1 month later...

Just as Nyssa was about to object against the prospect of having her privacy ruined by both Mary and Mina, a very familiar voice sounded from the doorway.

"Pampered?  Pregnant?”

Nyssa turned and found that Duram was peeking around the corner. A smile curved her lips at the look on Michaels face. As usual, the coming and going of the Chosen went completely without notice. It was a trick he would have to teach her someday, to hide her channelling so completely that she could come across as a regular woman.

“Pregnant, at the very least.” She said, before turning to Mina. “But I refuse to be pampered. You are more than welcome to assist me during the months after our new child is born, but if I have to let both you and Mary tend to me I’ll go insane. Really, there’s only so much motherly affection  a woman can stand.”

How long had Duram been standing there? Mina tried to think back at what all had been said. Even though he was family, she was slightly chagrined by his sudden appearance in the light of his involvement with her and Leon. She ought to thank him, though but not right here and now. It was possible that he had just heard Nyssa's announcement. "We'll see how things go and what you need help with while expecting. I'll leave most of the tending to Mary as she has much longer experience with it." Turning to the Chosen she tried to smile normally. "And hello Duram. Your timing is perfect as always. Were you tipped that something interesting would happen around here or was it just a lucky guess?"

Smiling, Duram stepped from behind the doorway and walked into the room as he threw his hands wide in an expansive fashion.  "Its nice to see most of the family together, and I thought I might swing by, see how everyone was doing.  Its good to see you two tortured lovebirds have finally talked to each other, really talked to each other that is."  That got a couple of blushes out of the pair of them, Mina and Leon.  So many times Duram had wanted to slap them, but no, that wasn't his way.  People had to make their own choices, otherwise they could never be entirely happy with them, or entirely too dependent upon him.  He needed people who were able to think for themselves, not slaves.

Looking to Nyssa and Michael, Duram's smile broadened.  "Congratulations to the pair of you, unexpected but certainly welcome."  Also a bit of trouble because Nyssa would be useless for the next nine months because there was no way he could risk her, but her happiness was more important.  "Has anyone delved yet to make sure of the child?  I could do it now if you want."

I’ve only just come to terms with it today, Duram, so no one has delved anything yet.” She got up and walked over to the Chosen. “But you’re welcome to do so now that you’re here.” On one hand she kind of liked not knowing what was going on. There was a bit of suspense that made the pregnancy enjoyable. On the other hand, she was eager to find out if her child was healthy. She and Michael were no longer in their teens, after all, and perhaps such things as pregnancies got harder with age.

Just today?  The time of his visit was most fortuitous then.  Taking grasp of saidin, Duram laid a hand on Nyssa's stomach and slid it down slightly as he let the simple weave slip from his fingers and within her skin.  Manipulating the weave to explore Nyssa, he soon found what he was looking for.  Then he frowned, then his eyes widened, then he stepped away from Nyssa with a broad smile on his face as he released the one power.  He wasn't sure how she was going to take it, but it was going to be amusing all the same.  "I'm sorry, but you're not having a baby."  That confused her.  "You're having babies."

“Babies?” Something about what Duram said didn’t really register with her. Babies as in the multiple of one baby? How was that possible? It was supposed to get harder, instead of easier. “I’m sorry, I must have misheard. Did you say babies? As in, twins?” She paled slightly at the thought. Just when she’d gotten used to the thought of having one more child, she discovered she was having two. “But…”

"Twins!"  Laughing, Michael grabbed Nyssa and kissed her soundly.  Twins, he was going to have twins, he couldn't have possibly hoped, not even dreamed of it.  Two more children, that would be perfect.  But it was Duram's laughter that cut through his happy haze, what was so funny?  "What are you laughing at?"

Duram was laughing so hard that he needed to stagger to a seat, my, why couldn't anyone appreciate what was so clearly amusing?  Everyone was looking at him as if he'd just gone mad, or possibly been struck dumb.  Much like Ishmael when he turned into Osan'gar one was tempted to think, but no, they still didn't get it.  Wiping the tears from his eyes, Duram managed to calm down enough to squeeze the truth out between gasps.  "Triplets!"

Whatever her thoughts had been earlier, they were all gone now. Instead she simply stared at Duram, willing him to say that it had been just a joke. Triplets. That meant three, right? Not one pair of little feet pitter pattering around, not two, but three. Three whole babies. The number of children she’d had already, only now all at once. Numb with shock, she did the only thing she could think of. She sat down right where she was standing. “Great Lord…” she muttered, trying to come to terms with the notion that there were three little lives growing within her.

Laughing as Nyssa sank into a seat, and Michael beside her with a mixture of shock, pride and joy, Duram noticed the younger pair were similarly shocked at getting a trio of new siblings.  Duram couldn't help it, he had to say something between his bouts of laughter.  "You are the best follower I've ever had.  Singlehandedly populating my Order, from now on you're fighting for the Order in the bedroom.  Just go easy on him."  The last was directed at Michael even as he began laughing anew.  Triplets, they still weren't able to get their heads around it.

The shock subsided soon enough, and perhaps influenced by Michael’s good cheer, Nyssa regained some of her own joy at discovering that she was pregnant. She laughed then, for the first time since she discovered that there was going to be more than one child. She gave Michael a playful poke in the ribs. “This is all your fault, you know.” He looked shocked and muttered something which sounded a lot like ‘wha? Me? Eh?’ and really, the only way to shut him up was to kiss him. “Three kids. I guess this means you’ll have to tell Rasputin you’ll need even more time for your family.”