DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Salandrian First Touch (repost)

Eqwina

The once gray walls shone with a fresh coat of cream colored paint and all of her chairs had been painted black with a new lily print fabric covering the seats. Though this room had been hers for more years than she dared admit she had never before taken time to redecorate. The gray walls and dingy fabrics had suited her gloomy mood. Now she wanted the room to feel like spring all year around. Silver vases lined her mantle each filled with a different type of flower, and even her gilded stand lamps were carved to resemble vines. In all it had cost a small fortune but she had more money than she knew what to do with, and why not indulge herself a little.

Eqwina had filled her wardrobe with all new dresses, everyone a fine cut silk. Though she was spending rather flamboyantly on petty things it would not be wise for anyone to think her foolish. She owed Maegan a great debt for the “service” she had provided, but Eqwina had finally come into her own and was holding her head high and acting every bit the Aes Sedai. Her emerald eyes had become deep chasms, blank of all emotion. She had learned to let go of the past and hide her feelings from any and everyone.

There was a gentle tap on her door, nearly swallowed by the bells as they rang High. “ Enter Salandrian, congratulations, it seems you will avoid a visit to the Mistress of Novices today” Eqwina went and sat at a small table she had placed in front of the window. She preferred to teach out doors but the wind held too much of a chill and the sky promised more rain. Salandrian followed meekly; it seemed as if the girl had lost all of the confidence she had found the day before.

“ Salandrian I want you too tell me everything you know of the one power”

Eqwina got up and poured herself a cup of chilled wine and sat down across from Salandrian waiting…

OOC: Just post a reply telling me the basics of what you know and and I will explain more in detail, then we can move on to touching the source:D

Eqwina

Moseley

Location: Minneapolis Posted: UTC53Wednesday171503    Post subject:

Before High Sounded, Salandrian had made sure that she would not be late and so she had asked directions from a maid how to get to the Yellow Quarters. Her confidence rose because she was not late, yet she was still nervous. As she knocked on the door, High rang. Just on time, she thought as she breathed a sigh of relief. Eqwina Sedai opened the door and welcomed her in. “Enter Salandrian." Salandrian's mentor seemed more Aes Sedai-like today. "Congratulations, it seems you will avoid a visit to the Mistress of Novices today.”

As Eqwina Sedai sat down, she asked: “Salandrian I want you too tell me everything you know of the One Power.” Salandrian stood uncomfortably, looking down at her hands playing with her novice shift.

"Well, Aes Sedai, I have not studied much of the Power. I know that Aes Sedai use it, and that it is called saidar, technically. Oh, and also that it has somethng to do with the Wheel. And there are weaves which somehow involve it." Despite the cool weather outside, she felt uncomfortably hot.

Proud Mentee of Eqwina Sedai

Thanks to Chaelca for the awesome sig!

Posted: UTC61Thursday534401    Post subject:

Eqwina nodded into her tea. She could see that her curt attitude had put Salandrian on edge, but today’s lesson was important and left no room for coddling.

“ It seems you have the barest knowledge, sit and I will tell you more” She waited for Salandrian to sit. “ Now listen close, and take notes if you wish, I’ll give you your assignments after.”

“ The One Power is drawn from the True Source, it consists of Saidar and Saidin. Saidin is the male half of the One Power and has been tainted since the Time of Madness. No man can touch it without going more and or getting the wasting sickness. The body simply rots slowly it is a very painful way to die.

Saidar was left untainted, but is still far from safe. If proper control is not learned it is possible to burn yourself out or even die. But do not worry if you listen to your teachers you will be quite safe.

Saidar consists of five treads, each named according to what can be done with them. Earth, Fire, Air, Water, and Spirit, and they are formally called the Five Powers. Everyone will have different strengths among these, most often in women either air or water will be their strongest. Men always had more strength when working with Fire or Earth, Spirit is shared equally.”

Eqwina paused to sip her tea. “ I think that is enough for today, I have two assignment for you, due when I see you tomorrow. We will meet here again.” She shuffled through her notes to find the name she needed. “ One paper is to be on the One Power, you may choose our focus. It can be on the dangers or more information on the Five Powers, whatever you choose. Also I would like you to go find Reneca, she is an Accepted of a height with you and has flame red hair. Ask around, she is expecting you. She’ll tell you the story of what happened to her sister, who drew too much of the power. I want a detailed report” Eqwina stood and ushered Salandrian to the door. “ Do you have any other questions before you go? If not than run along, oh and Salandrian, don’t be late!” The last part she said with a smile.

Eqwina

Posted: UTC63Thursday463903    Post subject:

Salandrian sat meekly down and took out her quill and ink, as well as a scroll of parchment and began copying down what Eqwina Sedai said about saidin and saidar. How close had saidar come to being tainted? What if history had turned out that way? No! Don't think of that. Stay focused girl! Salandrian told herself. Eqwina Sedai's talk on the Five Powers interested her a great deal. She hoped that Eqwina Sedai would teach her more about them. She got her wish, in an odd sort of way, when she was assigned a paper on the One Power and it's focus was up to her. Obviously she choose the Five Powers. Though when she learned that her paper was to be due tomorrow, she grew less elated. An another assignment just downright dampened her mood.

“Do you have any other questions before you go? If not than run along, oh and Salandrian, don’t be late!”

"No, Eqwina Sedai." She bowed slightly and exited, walking quickly to the library, her mind buzzing with questions.

Just before supper, Salandrian asked around for the Accepted Reneca, and was told to look in the gardens. She found the flame haired girl there tending a pear tree. After explaining to the Accepted her quest, she was responded to with a gruesome story about a Novice who tried to Heal a worker who had broken arm. She was not able to control the weave and ended up burning out. When she tried to reach for the Source again, she could not and went mad, killing the man with her bare hands before committing suicide. Salandrian tried to take notes, yet found herself repulsed. She thanked the Accepted and finding that she had no stomach for supper she went to the library to write her paper on the Five Powers.

A whispy looking Brown helped her find a basic book on the One Power, and after reading abou the Five Powers, she wrote a paper that she hoped was suitable.

The One Power is divided into five thread, formally called the Five Powers. They are Fire, Earth, Water, Air and Spirit. Men are generally stronger in Fire and Earth, while women are generally stronger in Water and Air. Spirit is usually equally shared between the two. Most modern day channelers are stronger in one, maybe two, of these threads. Strength in all five is unheard of nowdays.

Many Talents require even moderate strength in three or more of the Five Powers. But in order to create the weave, the channeler must also possess ability to control the threads. Strength is fixed, while ability can be learned.

No one of the Five Powers is stronger than another. Air can be just as effective of a killer as Fire, and Earth is equally important in Healing as Spirit. Again, the channelers ability is what is the final factor.

It was quite late when Salandrian had finished. She read over it once more, returned the book to the shelf and walked quietly to bed, trying not to think of that aweful story Recena had told her.

Posted: UTC612Thursday350212    Post subject:

The sun shone brightly through Eqwina’s window but it did nothing for her mood. She could not concentrate and her head felt as if it were being squeezed from either side. She sipped her tea and focused on clearing her thoughts; she could not feel this way when Salandrian arrived or there was no telling what she would do.

Slowly the clock above her mantle ticked away the seconds, and then minutes. In no time the bells rang announcing high and at that exact moment, once again, Salandrian beckoned at her door. ” Enter child! And don’t doddle!”

Eqwina did not move from her chair as Salandrian made her way across the room, she took the time to take one last deep breath and gather herself. “ Let me see the papers you prepared.” Eqwina scanned them quickly, checking mainly for mistakes in content. “ Very good, it appears you are a quick learner” She set the papers down and rose to pour some tea, there was no way she could begin trying to calm the child if she was so on edge.

Handing Salandrian some tea she felt ready to begin their lesson. “You understand the dangers of channeling, now I must tell you the rules. Bear in mind while they may seem stringent it is for your own good. You are never under any circumstances to touch the source without an Aes Sedai or Accepted to guide you. The temptation to draw more is just too great in the beginning. It seems such a simple rule but you would be amazed at the number of girls who fail to heed it.” Eqwina looked straight into Salandrians’ eyes and made sure how disappointed she would be if Salandrian was caught breaking the rules.

“Close your eyes child, and listen carefully.” She dropped her voice to barely a whisper and spoke in soothing tones. “Clear your mind of all thoughts and imagine a rosebud. Picture it as clearly as if it were in your hand. See the soft curves of its petals and the angles of its stem. Hold that image firmly in your mind. Now picture the sun warming the soft petals, the rose bud stretches its neck to try and reach the sky. Slowly the rose bud opens to the sun…” Eqwina had to smile at the grin that split Salandrian’s face from ear to ear. “ Don’t worry if nothing happens right away, it takes time.” For over an hour Eqwina sat with Salandrian speaking those same words and walking her step by step through the exercise, the simple repetitive words slowly eased her mind as well. Then she saw it a single flash of light, and Salandrian’s eye popped open in surprise. Eqwina grasped Salandrian’s hand in hers and gave it a friendly squeeze. “Very good child but we cannot stop here…. You are the rosebud…” They practiced a few more hours before Eqwina sent Salandrian in her way.

OOC: Ok your assignment on this one is to describe IN DEPTH Salandrian’s experience in this lesson. The way she looks, how she feels, her fears and hopes, everything! Try to make it at least a page!

Eqwina

Posted: UTC65Thursday304805    Post subject:

As High rung, an apprehensive Salandrian opened the door, hoping that this lesson, Eqwina Sedai would not be as cross as she had seemed last lesson. Light, but that woman had a mercurial temper. Eqwina Sedai is an odd woman, Salandrian thought. Short as a child, moody as a young girl, yet sometimes as sweet as honeyed tea.

”Enter child! And don’t doddle!” Apparently today Eqwina Sedai would not be the calm woman Salandrian had first met. She expected the worst and cringed while Eqwina was reading over her papers, only to be surprised by a 'very good'. It felt as if she had expecting to get punched, only to recieve a hug instead. The smell of her mentor's peppermint tea helped soothe some of Salandrian's nervousness, and apparently Eqwina Sedai's as well.

“You understand the dangers of channeling, now I must tell you the rules. Bear in mind while they may seem stringent it is for your own good." Whatever effects the soothing tea was going to have on Salandrian had been counteracted by Eqwina's words. They were making her to not want to channel. Light! "You are never under any circumstances to touch the source without an Aes Sedai or Accepted to guide you. The temptation to draw more is just too great in the beginning. It seems such a simple rule but you would be amazed at the number of girls who fail to heed it.” Now all other feelings of Eqwina Sedai had left Salandrian. The was she looked into her hazel eyes, she could tell that her mentor was unequivocally concerned about Salandrian. And the disappointment if she disobeyed the rule was given in that intense look. Unable to handle it any more, Salandrian looked down, and began rubbing her olive-colored arm.

“Close your eyes child, and listen carefully.” Back to calm Eqwina. “Clear your mind of all thoughts and imagine a rosebud. Picture it as clearly as if it were in your hand. See the soft curves of its petals and the angles of its stem. Hold that image firmly in your mind. Now picture the sun warming the soft petals, the rose bud stretches its neck to try and reach the sky. Slowly the rose bud opens to the sun…” Her mentor spoke in quiescent tones, almost as if to a crying baby. It was a beautiful image, but why were they doing this? Salandrian grinned as she realized. Her mentor was finally teaching her how to touch the Source! Elation radiated from her eyes and smile. I will become an Aes Sedai! Salandrian Faerhind, Aes Sedai... She liked the sound of that.

“Don’t worry if nothing happens right away, it takes time.” Eqwina Sedai brought her back to reality. Salandrian would still have a long way to go to reach full sisterhood. She imagined years of scrubbing pots, long nights studying in the library, endless classes, but yet it would have to be worth all that. Salandrian struggled for the next hour to clear her mind of her future and what it might hold. Eqwina Sedai's words seemed to reach unattentive ears most of the time. Images of Salandrian in Novice white when she was an old grey-haired woman frightened her back into really listening. She would have to pass. No! I will not let that happen!

“Clear your mind of all thoughts and imagine a rosebud... This time, Salandrian listened with her whole heart and mind, and- Sweet surrender!- something happened. Salandrian felt a sensation she had never felt before. It was the most beautiful feeling she had ever had. Her eyes popped wide open in surprise. She sat, dumbstruck, for a few moments, when Eqwina grasped Salandrian’s hand in hers and gave it a friendly squeeze. She shook her head, still in the afterglow of that sweet surrender. “Very good child but we cannot stop here…. You are the rosebud…” For several hours following, they repeated the exercise. Salandrian was determined to feel that again, but only thrice more had she felt it. Yet that was enough for a lifetime, right now. She felt slightly frazzled as Eqwina dismissed her and she walked out, almost staggering.

Posted: UTC612Monday410512    Post subject:

Eqwina had desperately wanted to hold their next lesson out of doors, but Salandrian’s control of Saidar was still to fragile to add any unnecessary distractions. She had spread a thick blanket out on top of her carpets and had a pot of tea and a small basket of honeycakes waiting. Eqwina had grown uncomfortable during their hours of practice sitting on the hard wooden chair. If today was to be anything like yesterday she wanted to be prepared.

Eqwina began the lesson the moment Salandrian arrived. “ Today you will learn more of how to control Saidar. It is very important that you learn both self control and control of the One Power, losing either can lead to disaster.” Eqwina poured tea and offered the honeycakes before she went on. “ What we will study today is a technique called Pushing and Pulling, the objective is to touch the source and hold it, but you will attempt to hold it as far from you as you can without releasing. We will begin again by picturing the rosebud; fix it firmly in your mind.” Joy bloomed on Salandrian’s face as she felt Saidar pulsing through her. “ The bright sun is beating down warming the rose petals, but a single cloud drifts into view, slowly it begin to cover the sun, you can still feel the suns warmth puling through the cloud..” The glow around Salandrian snapped away and Eqwina winced slightly. Losing Saidar that was could cause a headache that would last for days. “Lets begin again child, you will get it” They practiced on until Salandrian was able to Push and Pull with little issue.

The child looked ready to fall over from exhaustion but there was one last thing they needed to cover before tomorrow’s lesson. Eqwina embraced the source and instructed Salandrian to do the same. “ Just watch child” She wove a tangled web that included one thread of each element. “ Do you see the five colors here? Tell me which thread belongs to which element and then I will let you get some sleep, after I heal the headache I suspect you have.” Eqwina smiled and waited patiently.

OOC: Post on indepth on what it felt like to push and pull the source, describe the issues you had and so on. Then have Salandrian name the elements, the colors Are Red, Brown, Blue, Silver,and Green.

Eqwina

Posted: UTC64Monday223304    Post subject:

Still wonderfully content with yesterdays lesson, Salandrian walked to Eqwina Sedai's room, nearly not paying attention to where she was walking and as a result, nearly tripped a servant. Excited for what would come today, Salandrian opened the door at High and was beckoned to sit down immediatley.

Aparently they had no time to waste today. Eqwina Sedai jumped right into the lesson: “Today you will learn more of how to control saidar. It is very important that you learn both self control and control of the One Power, losing either can lead to disaster.” Salandrian had forgotten how hungry she was and graciously accepted the honeycakes and tea. She ate the delicious food while her mentor described what Salandrian would be doing in greater detail. It was called Pushing and Pulling. Salandrian could not contain her excitement when Eqwina Sedai instructed her to touch the Source. “The bright sun is beating down warming the rose petals, but a single cloud drifts into view, slowly it begin to cover the sun, you can still feel the suns warmth pulsing through the cloud...”

Suddenly saidar was gone and it was replaced by a pounding headache. But she did not dare tell Eqwina. What if I have somehow half-burned myself out? Salandrian thought worridly. What will she say? Oh, Creator, have mercy on my soul. As quickly as her worries had arrived, they disapeared when she was told to touch the Source again and she could. The headache still persisted, but it somehow felt distant.

Again, they went over the Pushing and Pulling excercise. Salandrian tried to remember what it felt like to lie in the sun and have a cloud float overhead. The warmth was still there, it was just...more distant. Like her headache. That was it! She used that same feeling of distance to try and Push away from the Source. Her rose grew less clear in her mind's eye as she did this, somehow unfocused. The Source was still touchable, but further away. She tried to push the cloud away and make her rose more clear, yet she lost control of the Source consummately. The headache became worse, though Salandrian couldn't tell if it was from the absense of saidar which had helped cushen the pain or from the sudden pulling away from it. Either way, it was still pounding.

That gave her all the more impetus from trying it again. Pushing became easier, because she had figured out for herself. But Pulling still was difficult. The hot tea that Eqwina Sedai was blowing on gave her an idea though. Embracing saidar, she Pushed it away, but then imagined herself blowing the fuzziness off of her rose. It worked! Saidar was suddenly near her again. She practiced this rutine several times before Eqwina Sedai moved her onto the next part of the lesson.

The two Ebou Dari women embraced saidar, a struggle for an exhausted Salandrian. “Just watch child.” That was a relief. Eqwina wove a complex but colorful weave and asked Salandrian to identify them. "Well, I suppose red is Fire. And blue is Water, obviously." The next three were difficult for her. She puffed her hair and bit her lip in anticipation. "I think that Air is silver, Earth is... brown and that leaves green to be Spirit." She dearly hoped she was right, because Eqwina promised to Heal her headache.

Salandrian

Over the months Eqwina had come to enjoy Salandrian’s company. She was a fast learner and she had studied hard on all the tasks Eqwina had set her too. Today would be their final class but she hoped it would not be the last time she saw the young woman. Eqwina had hopes that the girl would lean towards the Yellow Ajah she could do quite well as a healer.

High rung and as usual Salandrian was right on time. Today Eqwina had gone all out. Spread out on the floor on top of her best blanket was a feast. There was roast mutton smothered with a mustard sauce, smashed potatoes covered with melting butter and cream, Sweet honeycakes and fruits coated with clotted cream would do nicely for desert. On a silver tray were two pitchers one with milk and the other contained a lightly spiced wine. Tea was also already brewed and sweetened with honey.

She motioned Salandrian to sit, arrayed in front of her were several items. A wooden bowl filled with water, a candle, a feather and a rock. “I am sure you are aware that this is your last lesson, and I have a feast prepare for when you pass your tests” She smiled encouragingly at her novice mentee. “None of this is beyond your skill. With the water you will swirl it in any pattern you choose. With the candle I want you to light it with fire and smother it with spirit, upon completing that use flows of air to make the feather float, and last may be the hardest but I am sure you will do well. You see the small crack in the rock? Use flows of earth to widen it and crack the rock in half if you can.”

She paused to pour them both some tea before continuing. “You may begin at anytime”

• 1 month later...

Salandrian had a strange feeling about this lesson today. Though Eqwina Sedai had pushed her further than she thought she could go, she rather liked the woman. She remembered the first day when she had been late, and had gotten lost coming to the Yellow Ajah quarters. Eqwina had forgiven her, though she had been adamant that it not happen again. And it had not, thank the Light.

When Salandrian opened the door, she was nearly floored by the amount of food her mentor had prepared. She breathed in deep the superb smells emanating from Eqwina's feast. Her mouth watered in anticipation, but them realizing that she was here for a lesson, not a banquet. They would gormandize later.

"I am sure you are aware that this is your last lesson, and I have a feast prepare for when you pass your tests.” Ah, so it was their last lesson today. But there would be a test. She supposed that was what the objects in front of Eqwina Sedai were for. As if she was reading her mind, her mentor explained what the objects were for: "None of this is beyond your skill. With the water you will swirl it in any pattern you choose. With the candle I want you to light it with fire and smother it with spirit, upon completing that use flows of air to make the feather float, and last may be the hardest but I am sure you will do well. You see the small crack in the rock? Use flows of earth to widen it and crack the rock in half if you can.”

Salandrian's pulse was quickening now. Could she do this? It seemed simple enough, though if it was simple, why would Eqwina Sedai save it for the last day? There must be a catch. Could it be the rock? She studied the objects attentively. It was too long though, because Eqwina Sedai added: “You may begin at anytime” Taking a deep breath, she began.

She imagined the rosebud blooming in the sun, and felt saidar pulse through her. The feeling still took her breath away, but she realized that she must complete her task now. She picked out the thread of Water from saidar and moved it to the bowl, spiraling it clockwise. She released the thread, but struggled to hold onto saidar. Next she attempted to pick out Fire, but lost control and let go of the Source. Due to her frustration at losing it, she had difficulty feeling saidar. She plucked the Fire thread, and put her hand over the candle. The wick caught on fire, and she quickly removed her hand, so as not to burn it. She let go of Fire and had little trouble manipulating Spirit to smother the candle.

Salandrian wiped her brow, and found that it was surprisingly sweaty. Taking a deep breath, she continued. Air had never caused her trouble, so floating the feather was a breeze. (OoC: Pun intended!) The final task was one she dreaded. Earth had always been the hardest thread for Salandrian to use, so it was truly a test for her. It took her several deep breaths to prepare for what she was going to do. She imagined the rosebud blooming in the sun, imagined herself laying in the river that was saidar, surrendering to it. Salandrian reached for Earth, and found herself floundering. No! I musn't fail now! She willed herself to surrender to saidar. She reached for Earth again, and surprisingly, she found it. She wove it into a nail, and stuck it in the small whole in the rock. Using the hand motions, she slowly pried it apart, though she was too exhausted to make it split in two.

"Eqwina Sedai, I am exhausted. I cannot continue."