DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Memories and an old friend (Aran and Thera)

Eqwina

Parting the Silk flowed freely into the Hummingbird kisses the Rose; Thera flowed from stance to stance without a pause. Her muscles were straining and she could feel her thighs quiver and threaten to give way with every step. Still she pushed on feeding all of her heartache and anger into those forms.

Finally her arms gave way and Thera tossed the practice sword aside with disgust. Her arms burned and her fingers no longer wanted to grip. She only paused a moment to empty her water skin before beginning again. This time it was not the sword she picked up; in fact she had no weapon at all. Her body bent bringing her chest parallel to the ground and her right foot extended well above her head. For a moment she stood balanced, frozen in her pose.  Then her body whipped with force and her other leg came up in a kick. She landed ready to strike again. Over and over she kicked; her limbs flying in precise succession.

Sweat dripped from every pore and Thera crouched, panting. She emptied her other water skin over her head before again standing to begin again. The soon was not yet to its noon day peak but she still felt as if she had worked all day and into the night. Perhaps if she worked until the sun set she would sleep through the night; which brought her to another issue to be worked through. Again she picked up her sword and began to work, her mind not in it. She kept thinking about what had transpired that very morning.

…”Thera you can lay with whom ever you like, but I prefer not to be privy to what is in your head” Serena’s eyes were cold as steel but Thera could feel her unshed tears. Last night she had been too drunk to mask the bond when she had lain with the young Hunter she had met in Tar Valon. The girl was barely old enough to be considered adult but with her head full of ale she had not cared.

Those emerald eyes made Thera want to weep but she had no words left to say. All that could be said had been. Slowly she gathered her things, refusing to meet Serena’s eyes as she turned to go. She stared past her beautiful Aes Sedai as she spoke. “I laid my heart at your feet and you kicked it aside, do you expect me to spend the rest of my life pining for you?...I will be in the barracks if you need me.” She had left without another word…

Thera stopped in mid swing her practice sword only inches from Aran’s head. She had not even seen him approach. “ A foolish choice my old friend” She tossed the practice sword aside and clasped hands with her old friend. If anyone could keep her mind occupied Aran could; she smiled thinking of the fight they almost didn’t escape.

OOC: You can take it from here.

Smiling as he took Thera's hand and shook it, he had been fairly certain that she would stop, she wasn't useless with her blade after all.  Their adventure in Aridhol if nothing else had proven that particular fact.  That wasn't what had brought Aran to seek Thera out.  Well, not that he hadn't wanted to before, but like most Warders Thera had proven particularly scarce and difficult to track down.  Something that had changed last night as word had gotten around that Thera had taken her quarters back in the barracks again.

"You wouldn't hit this face, its too pretty."  Releasing her hand as he grinned, Aran knew he wasn't a beautiful man by any means.  In fact, his face was eminently ordinary, that was part of its value.  "I heard you were out here doing all this dangerous work with the lathes and the kicks and all those really sweat inducing activities.  I was shocked, dismayed, and thought that it was my duty to come out and save you."

"So."  Aran poked her arm.  "You need to come with me immediately, fly away from this travesty of good behaviour and come to my company's common room.  We're going to have a few drinks, and then a few friends of mine are going to turn up when their shift is done and we're going to play some Chop.  You've played Chop haven't you?  No?"  Aran's jaw dropped.  "That is something we need to fix right away."

Taking her lathe from her, he held it up as he grinned again.  "And you're banned from this until you've learned how to play.  Come on."  Turning about Aran stepped over to a nearby rack to replace the lathe before leading the way to his company barracks.

Aran

Tower Guard

• 2 weeks later...

Thera could not help but chuckle at Aran, the man was arrogance and impropriety wrapped in a tight bundle of mischief; and she loved him for it. Her friends had always been few and since being bonded she could count only two and neither was her Aes Sedai.

Thera rubbed her arm where Aran poked her and glared at him with only a half heart. Her muscles still quivered from her work out and she had a sneaking suspicion that the foul smell was coming from herself. Chop? When did he think she had time for games? Did he know how demanding an Aes Sedai could be? She had lay awake many nights wondering if she had made the right choice…

Thera followed Aran in a daze, as they passed the quarters where she had stored her stuff she pulled Aran to a stop. “I will agree to learn to play Chop and stay away from the practice yard..” Her caramel eyes glittered with laughter and she winked “ but I will not go around smelling like I spent a week sleeping with the pigs. I have some ale in my room, let me go change and half of it is yours.” She saw him pretend to consider then follow with a smirk.

Her rooms in the barracks were small and rather cramped, but at least they were her own.

Thera tossed her flask to Aran and began washing quickly. She had not brought all of her clothes from Serena’s room so she had to make due with a fresh shirt and fresh stockings. The trip to gather the rest of her belongings was not one she was looking forward to. She pulled her dirty shirt off and tossed it into the corner; an action she could never had done with Serena. The woman was too tidy by half. “Are you going to down that all? Or do I get a shot?”

Thera finished dressing quickly and allowed Aran to lead the way. A night out with distractions could do her a world of good.

Following Thera to her quarters, Aran smiled at his success.  It hadn't taken much to lure Thera away, a good thing because it meant that they would then be able to spend more time doing important things, like drinking and sitting down.  And Chop, definitely Chop, he might not have been Tairen but he liked the game nevertheless.  Mainly because even when he wasn't cheating, he could still figure out from his own hand and the calls other people made what they had.  At which point it was as much a game of bluffing, anticipating and fooling one's fellow players.  As a result, Aran had a strong affinity for the game.

Averting his eyes as she used the water basin in her room to splash herself before getting changed, Aran was more than happy to help himself to the flask that he'd been offered.  Ale was a bit weak, at least in his opinion, but then again his tolerance for alcohol was the cause of headaches on the part of a lot of people.  Drinking Rosheen under the table was always fun, she didn't drink nearly enough to keep up like Aran could and the fact she got hangovers was a serious disadvantage.  Same with most people, but there was nothing better than waking up in the morning to find everyone else groaning while he proceeded to drink more infront of them.  Cruel, but fun.

"No ale for you till the common room, you're banned."  Laughing at the look he got, Aran tossed her the flask back.  Clearly she had no idea about his company or she would have realised that the flask wouldn't be needed at all.

A truth realised when they reached his barrack's commonroom.  A large area with lounges and couches lining the walls, others still surrounding tables that were set about and along one wall there were several boards for daggers and darts.  Leading the way to one table in particular that sat near the window, Aran smiled as he saw someone had cracked open the keg already.  Maybe Marie, she hadn't been on duty after all, and a mug was missing.  She'd probably gone to the wall to go tease the others on duty while she had a drink infront of them.  A woman after his own heart, even if she was far too handy with her fists.

"Have a seat, I'll get the cards and mugs."  A cupboard innocuously set in a corner held those, though it confused Aran slightly.  Someone had moved it from its rightful corner near one of the doors to near the window.  Either someone thought they were funny or they were an idiot, it was meant to be near the door where people could help themselves as they walked in.  Retrieving the cards and mugs nevertheless, he walked over to where Thera was sitting and set the cards down before dipping their mugs as the keg was closer to him.

Handing her drink to her as he took a seat, Aran grinned.  "Unusual, I know, but our company is somewhat...  exceptional.  Seeing as the others aren't here yet, we have some time to relax.  What have you been up to all week?  Hardly seen you at all."

Aran

Tower Guard

Thera had taken to carrying her flask with her wherever she went; and even this brief separation was torture. Where Serena had once stood as her rock, and her stability now that place went to the ale. She snatched the flask just before it struck her and took a long swallow before putting it back in its rightful place.

Thera had never played chop, Serena had always frowned on her carousing in taverns or spending too much time with the other guards. Perhaps last nights events were part of the reason why. It was time for her to stop living only for Serena.

Thera turned her chair and sat with her arms laced over the back staring into the mug Aran had handed her. It did not take long for her to decide to finish it in one swallow and hold her cup out for another. She had confided in Aran once before and he had held her confidences; perhaps one last time would not hurt. Besides what choice did she have, it was not as if she had any other friends.

“Aran I think you may have made the right choice choosing not to bond” Her knuckles were white from gripping her mug. “No matter what promises they make, they never see you as anything more than a sword” Thera glanced over the rim of her mug at Aran, there was no laughter in his eyes now. Perhaps now was not the time for such serious words.

“We came here to play chop, not to listen to me gripe about my oh so wonderful Aes Sedai” Sarcasm rang heavy in her voice, and her caramel eyes were glazed over and distant.

Attempting to make a topic change Thera picked up the cards and shuffled them with very little skill; this time did go better than her last, at least this time all the cards remained on the table. Thera allowed herself a laugh at her own stumble and made yet another clumsy attempt. “You might want to teach me about shuffling as well as the game” She handed the cards over to more skilled hands and buried her face in her mug.

OOC: I am having more trouble than I thought having Thera open up

The same problem that Aran had first gotten a glimpse of during that night of drinking with Thera seemed to be the same one that was troubling her now.  That certainly explained why Thera had moved out of Serena's quarters and back to her own with her fellow Warders.  He'd known there was more to Thera's comment about her being seen as nothing more than a sword that went beyond a mere indifference to her.  Not that indifference couldn't wound a person, sometimes it could do more harm than strong emotions which at least acknowledged someone.  Thera's hurt seemed to have more behind it than that, something which upset Aran in turn.  But then, that was one of the reasons he'd brought her to the common room to begin with.

The fumbling with the cards at least got a smile and a laugh out of Thera.  Holding out his hands, he took the cards that were handed over and gave them a quick shuffle.  He then held the deck up so Thera could see.  "You can learn how to do this, I'll show you an easy trick.  Just use your thumb like this, don't need to press hard against the deck."  Running the deck against the thumb in his other hand, a couple of cards came off the top.  Repeating the process a few more times, he had half a deck in each hand.

"Or, if you're feeling tricky, also use your middle finger."  Running the top of the deck against the thumb of his other hand again, he then ran the bottom of it against his middle finger, skimming more cards off the first half of the deck to form the second.  Putting the deck but together, he handed the cards back over to Thera.  "Have a go, only way you're going to learn is by doing."

As she began to work at it, trying to find the lighter touch that was needed, Aran decided that being open was the best way to get her to open up in turn.  "What happened?  I don't think I've seen you with this much self doubt before, certainly not enough for you to merit moving back into your quarters in the barracks.  You're wound up tighter than a fiddler's strings and I'm worried about you.  The others won't be here for awhile, there is plenty of time to talk if you want to."

Aran

Tower Guard

Thera laughed. “I think I will stick to something simple, I will save the being tricky for you. Light knows you are good at it” She winked at Aran before picking back up the cards. Thera was amazed that hands so skilled with a weapon could be so clumsy otherwise. She fumbled awkwardly with the cards trying to focus all her attention on them.

Thera tried her best to keep her emotions in check, but failed miserably.  Maybe it was the ale that loosened her tongue or maybe it was the feelings of friendship she felt for the man in front of her; whatever it was Aran’s words opened a floodgate.

” You know as well as anyone that doubt is an emotion Gaidin are not allowed. It was an emotion I had purged from me long before I ever bonded Serena, and now all these years later I find it creeping up from the recesses of my mind. The woman has spun my head like a top, and I can not seem to find a way to still it.

Thera looked down at her callused hands when she felt the tears spring into her eyes. Crying was another luxury Gaidin were not allowed. She forced herself to think of other things to distance herself from the pain.

“She has made me act a fool, I have not found myself so utterly confused since Andu…since I was a teen.” Thera looked up waiting to see laughter in Aran’s eyes, but all she saw was the eyes of a friend.

”I made a mistake Aran, one that I fear I can never take back.” Thera sighed, her curls swings with frustration. Her fingers toyed idly with the cards in front of her, unwilling to meet Aran’s gaze.

It didn't take long for the words to flow, it was surprising that the tears didn't follow because they were certainly waiting to be shed.  Even as Thera averted her eyes, Aran could tell that much about his companion with a simple glance.  It was, as usual, the whole issue of having to suppress emotions, it was something that frustrated Aran when it came to the bonded.  The idea that they had to be the perfect and flawless warriors for perfect and flawless women who wielded the one power.  Any idiot who had been around an Aes Sedai longer than a week could usually tell that they were far from perfect.

Well, maybe not any idiot, and that didn't apply to every Aes Sedai.  But most of them were easy enough to read, and Serena was certainly amongst them.  But Thera was still holding onto her notion that she was the one at fault, that her feelings were the root of all the trouble.  Why was it that gaidin and gaidar felt like they had to suppress all their emotions?  There was a difference between mastering them and purging them and trying to do the latter always made them worse.  Now she was suffering as a result, but maybe there was a way to fix it.

Though the slip about Andular was a surprise.

"Hey."  Seeing as she didn't look up, Aran took matters into his own hands.  Getting up and taking the chair next to hers, he prodded her in the ribs.  "Oi."  That got a better result as she looked up.  "Doubt is a healthy emotion, I don't care what anyone else says.  Not being sure is a good sign that you're thinking as opposed to just willy nilly running with whatever you're given to believe and hoping for the best."

"Yes, you aren't the only one to have gone head over heels for someone, we've all done it at one point or another.  We all make mistakes that can't be taken back, but we can also learn from those mistakes.  You just need to know what the mistake was first.  And no, just trying to suppress it isn't learning from it.  Worst mistake you can make is suppressing your feelings, only makes them stronger for one and it isn't controlling them anyway.  Its hiding from them, and I think you can do better than that.  In fact, I know you can.  No?"

Aran

Tower Guard

OOC: This post went a direction I did not expect, but I was writing and it was what came out. Do what you will

Thera drew circles on the table with ale, and refused to meet Aran’s gaze. She did not run from her emotions! She had tried on numerous occasions to talk with Serena but each time she was met with a defiant stare…. A small fire lit within her…..

It had been so long since Serena had first shunned Thera, the reason why had been lost with time; and with each passing day the distance and resentment grew. Someday Thera feared she would wake up to find Serena gone from her head, just like she had fled from her heart. The term witch was beginning to fit the woman more and more….her anger stoked the fire her pain had lit…..

Thera looked up at Aran through her golden curls, with her eyes burning like fire. “You speak of what you do not know. Loving an Aes Sedai is a hundred times harder than loving some wench or bar maid, or anyone else for that matter. And loving the Aes Sedai that holds your bond is as good as signing your death certificate! Her words were short and crisp and held more than a tinge of venom; but it was as soft a tone as she could manage. “I can be bonded to her, or I can love her! I have given up attempting both. I will protect her life with my own but from now on my affection will be given to another.” Thera had no idea when those words had come to her; but she knew it was a decision she had to make. To continue on as she was would be madness.

Thera downed another mug and reached for another. A few more and her head would be swimming. Already the world seemed cast in a haze, and her tongue felt too thick in her mouth. Thera eyed Aran out of the corner of her eye as she shuffled the cards, showing much more skill than she had before. He was a handsome man in his own way, and his humor made him more so.

The art of enticing a man was lost on Thera; the only man she had ever lain with had been her mentor and her friend. They had been reckless and completely abandoned. It had been 5 years since Thera had sworn off men, and the desire for that kind of animal passion had crept its way back into her life. Thera eyed Aran again and gave him a wink when his gaze met hers.

All the anger and pain Thera felt was slowly drowning in her ale; being three sheets to the wind was the only time she felt like her old self; and Aran was beginning to look like a prospect she wanted to conquer.

“I feel better now than I have in weeks, I do not know if it is drink or the company or finally being able to speak my mind but I do not care,” Another mug disappeared without thought and Thera brushed Aran’s cheek with a kiss when she filled another.

“You know” She said observing Aran through heavy eye lids “you were the last person I expected to become a friend”

• 1 month later...

"You were the last person I expected to be a lightweight."  Laughing at the look of confusion he got from Thera, he reached over and confiscated her mug and placed it just slightly out of her reach on the other side of the table.  The alcohol might have been blunting her pain but she'd thrown them back so quickly that she wasn't going to last much longer unless she stopped now.  Exploring that secret of hers she had shared could wait another time when she was more sober.  "Keep that up and you're going to pass out quicker than you can say Sirronilomistarianokenokoko."  Laughing again at the look that got, Aran poked her arm as he added.  "Say it with me.  Sirronilomistarianokenokoko."

Thera's mind was muddled but even she knew that what Aran was saying was gibberish. Taking her usual stubborn stance she quietly refused to repeat his nonsense. In a vain attempt she lunged at the table trying to grasp at her mug. Her speech was badly slurred when she spoke again. "If you wish to control my ale intake then apply to be my wet nurse, if not then leave me be" Being unimpaired Aran's hand was quicker and he pinned her arm firmly to the table top.

"Uh uh."  Holding her forearm down, Aran didn't need to exert too much effort to keep it there.  Alcohol had hit her, but her position also left her with little in the way of leverage to push against his grip and she couldn't pull it back either.  She was definitely drunk, and it made Aran smile broadly.  Well, it was more the comment about being her wet nurse, if she wasn't careful he was going to end up taking her up on the offer.  At this rate she was going to need someone to take care of her or she was going to fall over.  In fact...  "My name's Aran, I'm a Tower Guard by trade and a highly capable wet nurse.  As you can see, I'm more than capable of handling any child in my care and I can do magick."

"For example."  Setting down his mug, Aran reached over with his free hand to her nose.  Grabbing it between his middle and index fingers, he pulled on it and his hand slipped away, with his thumb now where her nose had been.  "Behold, I've got your nose!"

From her pinned state Thera was only able to stare as Aran rambled on; and there was not a doubt in her mind that she would receive a ribbing for her behavior this evening. It began almost instantaneously and even Thera had to laugh, but even that was quickly over. "I would suggest you unhand my arm and return my nose, and since you fancy being my wet nurse you can hold my hair later when I sick up" When Aran's grip did not lessen a bit Thera sighed and let her neck relax; her head hit the table with a resounding thud sending er red curls splashing up over her head. Thera's knees buckled from the pain causing her to crouch awkwardly over her chair. Had the door opened at that moment the enterer would have a raucous laugh.

With her head buried in her curls and her face planted against the table her voice came out as not more than a mumble. "If I promise to be good wet nurse Aran will you please release my arm?" Her voice was muffled but it was still distinguishable that she was not far off from whining.

"You goose."  Releasing her arm even as he shifted his seat closer to her, Aran helped Thera sit up.  Drawing the red curls aside, Aran frowned, she must have hit herself a touch harder than he'd imagined because her forehead was a deep shade of beetroot.  Running a thumb along it lightly, Aran shook his head.  "Next time we drink, I'll be keeping a much closer eye on what you drink and how much."  Sighing, it seemed to Aran that the chances of Thera managing a game of cards, too drunk too quickly.  "Its beddy-bye for Thera-boo, you're better off sleeping that off.  Up you get."

• 2 weeks later...

As Aran’s arms lifted her from the table Thera began to feel more than a little foolish. She was too old to be acting this way, even as filled with drink as she was that thought was clear. The head she would have in the morning would be nothing less than she deserved.

Thera felt her feet planted firmly on the floor and she tried to focus all her energy on remaining upright. The simple fact of it was that without Aran she would be a crumpled heap on the floor. Her words were badly slurred and from the way Aran flinched she could tell her breath was rank. “Why Aran?...Why do I do this to myself? You would think..” A fit of hiccups ruined her self defeating speech.

Tonight was supposed to have been about a night out away from her troubles, and all she had done was drag them along. Aran led her towards the door and all thoughts of staying up right flew from her head. With a strangle cry Thera pushed herself away from Aran’s grip and burst through the door unaided. The night air was cool and it helped to further clear her head. Thera’s only focus was to find a spot alone and one with a downward slope. She stumbled and feel more than once before she “choose” a spot in the trees. Every meal she had ever eaten came back up, and some meals she had yet to eat. For what felt like an eternity she lay face down in the trees letting the cool breeze wash over her.

Thera heard the leaves crunch as Aran approached but she was to sick to even make an attempt at standing. A water skin landed inches from her face and a smile bloomed on Thera’s face. She pulled herself up and fairly crawled to lay her back against a tree. With a quickness she drained half the skin into herself and allowed the rest to pour over her head. The cold water in the chilled night air might make her sick but at that moment it felt like heaven, and it was helping to clear her head. When she finally spoke her voice was thick. “Thanks, but you can leave me wet nurse Aran, I think I can find my way back from here” The light from barracks made a small puddle not too far from where she sat.

Looking down at Thera, Aran couldn't quite understand why she had made such a mess of herself.  Well, he could, he understood that she was upset and alienated from someone she very much wanted to be a part of, but there were better ways to deal with it.  Sighing as she declared that she could take care of herself, and that he could leave her be, he knew full well that wasn't an option.  It was really a simple choice for him, not so much whether or not he would help her up and back to her room, but more how he was going to achieve this because he had his doubts as to how steady she would be on her feet.  She'd no doubt used up her motor skills in her short lived dash outside.

Lowering himself to his haunches next to her, Aran didn't even bother saying anything as he slipped his arms around her and lifted her up.  Whether or not she wanted to be carried, Aran wasn't particularly interested and he cut over her attempt to speak quite deliberately.  "Shush Spewie.  You're being a goose and don't exacerbate it by refusing perfectly good help.  You're going to bed now, and I'm making sure you get there.  Now shut up and get the door for me, or are you an invalid?  Do it."

Teasing rather than harsh in tone, Aran was glad to see that Thera still had the co-ordination to get the door open though he used his foot to close it behind him.  Getting her up the stairs was a small challenge, but soon enough they were at her room.  Letting her open it, it was only a few steps from there to her bed where he laid her across it sideways so her legs were hanging off the end at the knees.  Getting down on a knee, he laid one of her boots across his leg and began to work at the laces as he spoke.  "Get your belt off already, Spewbunny, unless you sleep in it.  Chop chop."

Aran

Tower Guard

A sour stomach and a morning after head were already beginning to sink in. Her head that had been, only moments before, spinning, now felt as if it were stuffed with wool.  Many protests came to mind when Aran started to help her to bed, but there was not a one that would make him stop. Thera could not help but feel like more of a rag doll than a person as Aran lifted her from the ground.

Spewie? “Oh bloody hell” Thera mumbled as she was half dragged threw the door. Spewie was not a nickname that was easily forgotten. She hoped that Aran would keep quiet about what he had seen tonight. All thoughts off her new found nickname where lost as she traversed the dangerous stairs. As she stumbled Thera silently wished her room were on the first floor. With only a few bruises her door came into view, she thought there had never been a sweeter sight. For once even the hard mattress was welcome as Aran laid her down.

From the vantage on her back Thera stared up at the ceiling and could not help but feel as if all this had happened before… yes she drank often but she could not remember another time that she’d had to be carried to bed.

Belt? Spewbunny? This night only got worse and worse. With clumsy hands she reached for her belt and fumbled with the buckle. Sitting up would have helped to speed the process along but a vertical position seemed beyond her. Finally the clasp came free and she flung her belt towards her wardrobe not caring if it made it. Aran was still undoing the laces on her second boot so Thera was able to continue her study of the ceiling. “ You know what’s odd? I never drank like this until after I was a Tower Guard, NO! It was not until I became a Warder.” She propped herself up on her elbows and swayed trying to keep Aran in focus. “Do you ever wish you could go back and be a trainee again? I know I do..I think I do. Life was easier then.” Thera fell back on the bed not caring if he responded. The room had started it slow circuit and she felt that if she stopped talking she might lose the lunch she’d had last year. “I didn’t have any friends as a trainee..I did not make a one, not until I was a Tower Guard. Am I really so hard to like?” Thera sat up again suddenly caring what Aran thought. “Aran, do you like me? I am easy to like right?” She sat waiting for an answer but was poised to ask again just in case.

Drunken babbling, and entirely too emotional but then that was part of the reason that Aran had decided that she wasn't going to be off doing her own thing anymore.  Tonight was a good start as far as he was concerned, with time he felt he'd be able to get through to her and maybe help her out.  At the moment she was self destructive, once they changed that they could help fix other things until she was happy with herself again.  He wasn't sure when the last time was that she had been so, it would have been before he met her because ever since he'd known her, she hadn't been truly happy with herself at all.

"Well, you are a touch serious."  The words coming from Aran with a drawl, he freed her second boot and let it drop to the ground before quickly pulling her socks off.  "As I recall, the first words you spoke to me were along the lines of if I did another stunt, you were going to do more than just sting my flanks."  Now that had been an interesting little incident, but then the Aes Sedai had chosen to make a display like that, Thera's in particular, so he understood why Thera had chosen to make the threat.  Well, that and she was trying to do the whole made of stone warder thing, silly warders.

Standing up and reaching over at the laces on her breeches, he quickly freed those as he continued.  "But, before you panic, yes I do like you, even in all your spewbunny glory.  Just need to be less quick to come to assumptions about those around you, maybe people don't seem to like you because you haven't given them the chance."  Pulling her breeches off, he tossed them aside and reached for the covers.  Drawing them down a bit, he helped her turn around and get into bed as he added.  "Its good that its a rare thing that can't be undone or fixed.  Doesn't have to be this way forever if you want to change things.  But you've got to want to."

Finally getting her right so she had a pillow under her head and her covers over her, Aran sat on the bed next to her.  Running a hand through her hair, he did so not only to get it out of her face but also to make sure that she hadn't managed to spew into it.  He was glad to find that chunks were absent from her red curls, because picking them out would have been, well, not the worst thing he'd done but certainly not something he wanted to do.  "There's nothing inherently wrong with you, you just need to learn to trust a touch more.  No?  No?"

Aran

Tower Guard