DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Audiobooks

I’ve heard great things about the WOT audiobooks, but haven’t listened to the books (or anything by audiobook) myself. I tend to have trouble computing information solely through hearing, I’m usually more dependent on something visual to facilitate any absorption of content. Despite that, I kinda wonder if I should give it a try anyway since everyone seems to really enjoy the audiobooks. Any thoughts? Especially from anyone who can relate to being audio challenged but tackled the audiobooks anyway?

I’m a huge fan of audiobooks.  I listen them them like some people listen to music while working or driving.  

That said, I understand your issue, there are some books I’ve started that I have, let’s say archived, until I get the book as I’m having a hard time following along.  (Not WoT related, different books)

Kindle-Audible do a thing called Whisp-sync.  You have to buy the Kindle book and the Audible audiobook separately. (A lot of time the audiobook is heavily discounted if memory serves me correctly). And you download the kindle book and then in kindle you download the audiobook.  It follows along with the text.  Not all books have Whisp-sync tho. (But WoT does). 

Might not be your thing either but it might be an answer to your question.

It doesn’t happen in WoT but as avid Audible uses, I give this warning:

sometimes they change narrative between books.  (Sometimes multiple times - not as common) So if this gets your hooked on audiobooks, you are forewarned as it can be incredibly frustrating!

8 hours ago, Bryen said:

I’m a huge fan of audiobooks.  I listen them them like some people listen to music while working or driving.  

That said, I understand your issue, there are some books I’ve started that I have, let’s say archived, until I get the book as I’m having a hard time following along.  (Not WoT related, different books)

Kindle-Audible do a thing called Whisp-sync.  You have to buy the Kindle book and the Audible audiobook separately. (A lot of time the audiobook is heavily discounted if memory serves me correctly). And you download the kindle book and then in kindle you download the audiobook.  It follows along with the text.  Not all books have Whisp-sync tho. (But WoT does). 

Might not be your thing either but it might be an answer to your question.

It doesn’t happen in WoT but as avid Audible uses, I give this warning:

sometimes they change narrative between books.  (Sometimes multiple times - not as common) So if this gets your hooked on audiobooks, you are forewarned as it can be incredibly frustrating!

I really appreciate your input! Thanks for sharing your perspective, it is definitely helpful 

• 2 months later...

The audiobooks are amazing!  Michael Kramer and Kate Reading do a great job and fun fact, they are married!  I do have a gripe, they are not consistent with some of the character's names.  I believe this is partially due to Jordan giving them notes on how to correctly pronounce names, so they adjusted.  But sometimes they flat out just botch a name.  I found it annoying at the start, but by the end of 14 books with them narrating, you can only chuckle.  

On 8/15/2023 at 7:59 AM, Dark Ones Taint said:

The audiobooks are amazing!  Michael Kramer and Kate Reading do a great job and fun fact, they are married!  I do have a gripe, they are not consistent with some of the character's names.  I believe this is partially due to Jordan giving them notes on how to correctly pronounce names, so they adjusted.  But sometimes they flat out just botch a name.  I found it annoying at the start, but by the end of 14 books with them narrating, you can only chuckle.  

I don’t know how many of the names are actually pronounced, my head canon is probably way off 😂

• Community Administrator
6 hours ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I don’t know how many of the names are actually pronounced, my head canon is probably way off 😂

IMO, In the end it doesn't matter how they're "actually" pronounced. Half of them are made up words anyways, and not everyone is even able to pronounce them the way the author intended them to be pronounced. So I say... say it however you want... Hell, change it up every time you say it, just to screw with the people who get anal about it.