DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkfriend radar

4 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

The problem is that many of the darkfriends were still operating on the mad orders given out by ba'alzamon or on self-serving orders given by the forsaken (and then variously stretched to their own ends) rather than to any coherent overall plan so spotting them based on actions is not easy.   Wieramon appeared to be acting on orders which did not allow him to kill Rand, but either his own inclination or his orders involved escalating any confrontation to actual war to sow division and weaken Rand's forces.

What you are saying is very on point. It makes me think of the story and characters as a whole, and illustrates why identifying Darkfriends or even the forsaken can be so complicated and why some characters who don’t identify as dark can seem sometimes even worse. To me it comes down to putting one’s own self interest or beliefs above others…whether the characters or institutions who operate on the belief that they/their beliefs/affiliations are superior to others identify as light or dark, in many cases doesn’t make much difference in their actions. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think Wieramon was my favorite because I remember reading it at the time in the early books that he was so bad I wondered if he was trying to fail but dismissed it as Mat/Rand's/Jordan's jokes on nobles just loving Calvary charges but the idea that he was actually a dark friend is great. Like he could actually be a master tactician but be strategically screwing up at the worst times to cause massive casualties. What he did against Sammael probably ranks up there with most forsaken as far as death toll goes. Then the idea that he was just chilling and hanging out until zen Rand walks up and looks him in the eye lol the whole thing was great.

On 4/14/2023 at 2:48 PM, Sabio said:

Verin wasn't a surprise because she lied in Book 2 and was about to murder Casudane.  It would have been more of a surprise had Taim not turned out to be a DF.

The big question for me was if that one general Weirmon?? Was a DF or just really dumb and incompetent.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:00 PM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Oh wow you just expressed something I always wondered…what is the deal with this weiramon?

He was revealed to be a DF after Rand gained the ability to spot DFs. Exposed after Rand saved Lan's forces I think.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:45 PM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Another one I just remembered is Nicola. I think that’s her name. Never quite trusted her. 

I always suspected her of being one of the Black Ajah Moghedien took with her in her hunt for the menagerie containing her bete noir, Nynaeve the unskilled country girl who had bested her in Tanchico. Likewise I suspected Areina of being another Black Ajah with her ability to channel shielded ...

When it turned out they were merely local color Moggie had dragged along with her to provide her with camoflage, I was surprised. But I suppose that was obvious when the two twits tried to blackmail Egwene in A Crown of Swords.

Else of course started as a normal farm girl and initiate...because I very much doubt one of the forsaken was just chilling in that guise at some random farmhouse between Four Kings and Caemlyn. 😉

I imagine once it became obvious she had no power or talent to succeed at the Tower, she became expendable. Perfect hiding spot for a Forsaken. I think I thought it was Mesaana or Mogs, not sure it was obvious to me it was Lanfear. But it was clear that Else became a cover for someone. 

Weirmon's a good example!