DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was Thom talking about after the fight in KOD???

Groningen

In the Knife of dreams Mat is attacked after leaving an inn (Tuon thinks it was an "Hell"). After the fight, Thom tells everybody that he is getting old and starting seeing things that can not be. But that he will forget it becouse he is getting old. It appeares to be something about Selucia. But what is it? It is written as something important but is not mentioned afterwards. Does anybody have a clue what happened? (Mat whas fighting and did not see it...)

• 1 month later...

Wow, I was trolling through old threads trying to catch up when I saw this. I don't know why no one answered this, Groningen, but if you're still around, it's because Selucia is Tuon's bodyguard. She's a trained fighter, and therefore is something other than what she presents herself to be. She began as a nanny or some such, but she volunteered to become Tuon's bodyguard once her original services were no longer required, and her request was granted. Thom, by knowing that Selucia is Tuon's bodyguard, endangers his own life, as Selucia's real relationship with Tuon is clearly meant to be secret, else she'd be more obvious about it, like a warder with his Aes Sedai. Thom saw Selucia kill Tuon's attackers, so he said all that to save his life, and Selucai's curt nod to him indicates his success (Thom hopes). :wink:

She began as a nanny or some such, but she volunteered to become Tuon's bodyguard once her original services were no longer required, and her request was granted.

Selucia has always been Tuon's secret bodyguard. "Nanny" was just the cover story before Tuon became too old to need a nanny.

If I recall correctly, Tuon and at least some other high blood, possibly only members of the imperial family, are given "nannies" when they are infants or small children. The nannies are actually highly trained bodyguards meant to protect the child in case anything gets past the official bodyguards. Suroth was given a giant mutant bear thingey as a pet/bodyguard. The children are also trained to fight in case anything gets past the nanny. When Tuon or the other children come of age, the nanny is given her freedom (having been a slave)and an amount of gold for each time she had to punish the child. (Because Tuon was a "high spirited" girl, Selucia is now wealthier than many of the high blood.) In Selucia's case, she surprised everyone by asking to remain with Tuon as her lady's maid instead of being freed.

Thanks for clarifying that; I knew it was something along those lines!

Haha...the giant, mutant-bear thingy is a lopar, a reptile, but I'm glad you described it that way, because I role play on a different site, and my character has a lopar. There isn't much in the books about them, and I've been treating mine as something along the lines of a giant mastiff or bear. :lol:

At least I'm perhaps not too far off-base.

You're quite welcome, Ben. You were pretty much right on except for the exact point in time that Selucia became Tuon's personal ninja. Thank you for mentioning that Suroth's pet is called a "lopar". Except for grolms, I have trouble with some of the new animal names. Actually, I have trouble with ordinary words, too. Probably just getting old. I thought I remembered the lopar having scales but I wasn't sure enough to say anything. It has large, retractable claws as well, doesn't it? I've always visualized it as a cross between a bear and a great cat with a skin condition.

They have leathery skin and retractable claws, but I'm pretty sure it's a reptile. The bad artwork in the guide shows them as being similar to a cat/bear, but I take those drawings with a grain of salt. No one's called me on my treatment of it in role play yet, so I must be close enough. :lol: Besides, it's jsut a pet; it doesn't have much more than a cameo role. Grolm, lopar, and raken are the only ones I know the names of myself, and I'm 43, so yeah, it's probably an age thing. :P

They have leathery skin and retractable claws' date=' but I'm pretty sure it's a reptile. The bad artwork in the guide shows them as being similar to a cat/bear, but I take those drawings with a grain of salt. No one's called me on my treatment of it in role play yet, so I must be close enough. :lol: Besides, it's jsut a pet; it doesn't have much more than a cameo role. Grolm, lopar, and raken are the only ones I know the names of myself, and I'm 43, so yeah, it's probably an age thing. :P[/quote']

I can add (without looking at the books) s'redit, to'raken and corm. Though I'm not too sure about the last one (I'm 41 so... :wink: ) They're the tall flightless bird creatures the army uses to track with....I seem to remember it begain with a "c"... :?

Yes, but s'redit are really just elephants, are they not? Not from another dimension, just not known within 1,000 miles of Emond's Field.

As to the illustrations, you really take them with a grain of salt? I usually use a whole teaspoon. Or however much fits on the rim of my glass. For what it's worth, I turned 37 on Saturday. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on the board who once owned parachute pants.

It's Corlm. In the picture they look a little like kangaroo with Rabit ears and a platypus' tail.

The other is Torm, a giant three eyes lizard-cat thing.

And yeah, s'redit are just Elephants.

Archived