DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thoughts on the ending (Missing pieces)

I have had a long relationship with WoT. It started around the time when Crown of Swords was released and I was about 12 years old. I have reread the first books many times in anticipation for the next release. But I got thrown off after Knife of Dreams where my life went into young adult hood and my priorities changed. 

I just reread the whole series and finally got the conclusion to this masterpiece. 

One thing on rereading the series as a 37 year old with a family of my own is that I have a different appreciation for some of the hardships. I can have another kind of empathy with parents watching children suffer or of Perrin losing his family. As a teenager that wasn't such a big deal and just something to move the story forward kind of.

But to the topic. I think Sanderson did a great job in taking over and I am impressed with how he took RJ's notes, extensive as they might have been, and forged something from them that fit together so well. Superb. This is in no way a criticism of the work. But just my ramblings of what I wanted to have more of.

As I was reading the final three, I couldn't shake the feeling of being rushed toward a conclusion. I can't fault Sanderson for this as there were about a million loose ends to tie up and since it wouldn't make sense to have even more books written by a ghost writer after one became three (of 14 total) already. So no fault of his, but I do wonder about a few things that I felt didn't get enough attention.

1. Isam and Luc
I always looked forward to a Lan and Isam moment. And also there were the comments from Jain too where he wanted Mat to let any Malkieri he ran into know that Jain died a good man. I don't remember the details, but I think there was a connection there with Jain's treachery and Isam - and then there were the dark prophecies in the dungeons of Fal Dara and Moiraine saying that Lan can't know. 

On the same note, I also thought there could have been some deeper prodding at the whole Luc and Tigraine thing. How Luc is Rand's uncle and all the mess that could have made.

2. Alivia
I found that Alivia was built up for a more prominent role than she got. There was the whole Min viewing and Rand having her close by, she is ancient and extremely powerful which then kind of dwindled out to her just leaving him some money and clothes for his new life.

3. The last hunt
I can see how there was a last hunt. But I kind of think Perrin could have played a bigger role in it. Now it was more like him having his hunt of Slayer while the wolves helped guard Shayol Ghul as a favor to him. Then for a brief moment the dead wolves come back as they unite to clean up when the horn is blown there, almost like an afterthought (I did however love how they were bound by the horn - showing that there is more to existance and the pattern than humans).

Maybe there could have been something more like Perrin's hunt for slayer being tied to the wolves hunt of their shadow brothers. 

4. Moiraine
There is a long buildup for Moiraine's return. I think her and Thom's relationship in the first books, the separate longing for a situation where they could be something else, is one of the more beautiful details of the series. Then her letter and the long build up for the Tower of Ghenji. Leading to her coming back, giving a few sentences of sage advice, and then a day of hugging a stone.

There could have been more there before Shayol Ghul. There could have been more tension between her and Cadsuane for example. Something else from Lan too. 

5. Mat's handling of the battle at Fields of Merrilor
I think the battle was portrayed good, as good as a battle of that vastness with so many different players could have been portrayed. I think the whole ruse with the Seanchan was a good gamble and it worked great. So here we have everyone and their mother doubting Mat in some way or another. Thinking him mad, seeing how he does things that kind of work out and that they can't see how he could have known to plan for, but also doubting. With Mat stepping in to lead the final stand himself as it's time for that final hand of cards to be played. And he pulls it off beautifully. 

He gets no retribution from everyone who doubted him, instead he picks Olver up and goes to SHayol ghul where he stumbles into the invincible Fain whom he knifes and then that's that. 

I can see how I would have loved to have the books about him and Tuon on Seanchanland, as he is my fav character. But I kind of felt like.. Ok, so here is the nobody whom nobody believed in, who pulled off the impossible with his cunning and and gets no thanks for it.

But that is life I guess, and Mat himself would probably have a few choice words about how there is no bloody thanks to Matrim bloody Cauthon for saving the day as everyone and their noble bloody selves are too important to bother... 

6. The End
Wonderful! I loved it, all the twists and the realization that it wasn't Rand who was fighting the Dark One, but everyone and that he was just their symbol and champion. And that there needs to be a balance as there can be no good without evil. No joy without sorrow, or pleasure without pain. 

I loved how Perrin gave Lanfear an end fitting herself, how Alanna released the bond without hesitation just as she one time placed it on Rand, and how Rand lit his pipe without the one power as he rode off into the sunset (metaphorically)...  

But I want more!!  ?

Indeed there could have been more. And if Jordan had been the one to write the ending, for sure there would have been more. More Padan Fain, more Alivia, more last hunt. And probably a lot more other stuff I didn't know I wanted. The thing with Jordan is he takes his time. If he'd been around to finish his series, I reckon it'd be at least two, potentially three or four books longer. ? 

Sanderson was hired to finish the series, not continue it for as long as he felt Jordan would have wanted. Sanderson had to make choices, and he did so rigorously, as is ----SPOILER---- shown in the prologue for The Gathering Storm, where Faile just has Masema murdered, and that's the end of that particular storyline. He was probably right to cut that storyline short, though, as it wasn't really going anywhere, and there was a LOT of ground to cover for the central storylines.

The biggest difference between Knife of Dreams and The Gathering Storm is the pacing. I'd say The Gathering Storm's pacing is about twice as fast as Knife of Dreams. It felt a little jarring at first, but as soon as I got used to the faster pace, Sanderson's books were a pleasure to read. For me at least. I might be biased, though, as I'd read a pile of Sanderson books before ever starting The Wheel of Time.

Edited by Asthereal

5 hours ago, Asthereal said:

And if Jordan had been the one to write the ending, for sure there would have been more. More Padan Fain, more Alivia, more last hunt. And probably a lot more other stuff I didn't know I wanted. The thing with Jordan is he takes his time. If he'd been around to finish his series, I reckon it'd be at least two, potentially three or four books longer.

Spot on. 

There was definitely a change of pace when Sanderson took it up. And it was much needed tbh. So all in all I am very happy with the conclusion. Just that I wanted to savor some of the bits more, really get into the nitty gritty of the moments the way RJ had a knack for. Taking his time setting the stage and giving everyone all the room they needed to be their full self (Which incidentally is why I started liking Nynaeve in these last three books when she didn't have time to be her full constanly foul mooded, braidtugging and obnoxious self.).