DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So what would you have changed.

Scarloc99

Ok we are 5 episodes in and I think it is clear throughout the forum that there is debate as to how happy people are with the Adaptation. there have been alot of complaints about thing's that are in the series, in particular certain scenes being added. But there isn't really anywhere that people can specifically say I would have done this, or I would have replaced this scene with this. 

So the aim of this thread is to describe what your not happy with and more importantly how you would have changed the scene. 

There are rules here, if you add a scene you have to remove or cut a scene, we can't go making time appear magically. If you remove a scene then likewise you need to replace it with something. 

If it is something like a character presentation then think about what you would have done differently and explain your reasoning. 

Most importantly think about how the changes you make would track with an audience who have no knowledge of the world. If something you remove explains a key bit of lore or world knowledge then how would you replace that and get that information over the audience differently. 

(Mods not sure if it is worth holding this topic off until season 1 is over and we can review the season as a whole) 

It's hard to answer this until seeing what just got moved to next season rather than cut. Visiting Caemlyn is obvious, but that may not purely be a storytelling decision. They need to consider things like being able to cast Elayne offering a main role right off the bat, or risk an Ingtar situation where the guy they have in this season leaves because another show offers a bigger role and then they need to recast between seasons.

I think they missed by making the world feel too small and the shadowspawn comparatively unmotivated and not all that dangerous. EOTW made it clear they had a lot of ground to cover to get where they wanted to go, and there were shadowspawn and darkfriends seemingly around every corner, and we knew what they wanted and where they were coming from because Ba'alzamon was actually talking to them and explaining this. Here, we get a fire eyes guy that scowls at them but doesn't say anything, all that shows up after they pass Taren's Ferry is a single fade, and they gloss over getting to Tar Valon with the "one month later" blurb at the start of the episode. I'm sure they're tired and hurting, but not seeing any of that feels like the Game of Thrones jetpacks everyone got in the later seasons, not a great development.

How to fix it? I have no clue. I'm not a screenwriter. I'm a software developer. If I put out something users aren't happy with, I expect them to be able to log bug reports and feature requests, but figuring out the implementation specifics is exactly why I exist and get paid. Same for the writers. The most obvious answer to me is "10 episode season," but I doubt the writers are choosing to write less. The Logain side story arguably could have been cartoon extras if they can't get Amazon to fund more real episodes.

Mine are very minor and could have been done with like 30 seconds to a minute each I think on screen. I’ll stay away from super large ones. 

Give Tam a couple more Trollocs to hack down at the Barn. Two of the smaller ones or something? Then Narg. 

Had Perrin go beast mode and grab a weapon in the whitecloak camp taking a handful out. They could have shown us a really beautiful half moon axe in the background like a smoking gun and built up to it.

Have Mat start talking in the Old Tongue.

At least one scene of Lan teaching Rand how to use the sword “if he is going to carry it,” as he says.  

Have Abel be good. Fighting in the town like a boss with a quarterstaff. (Just because it would be a great callback later and it would make sense as to why Mat knows what he knows.) 

All the other things large or small I can see why they did, but my main concerns is moving forward narratives for the men that display why I the viewer should think they can do what they do later. 

Characterization comes first. A gradual building up of the world as seen through the eyes of three ta'veren. (Not this "four" rubbish) Two strangers quietly entering the village only to be revealed after a trolloc attack. I'd touch upon every chapter in some way.

O...a budget to encompass as many episodes needed to do it right the first time. And if it took 25 hour long episodes...would anyone here complain?

3 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Depends on how entertaining it would be. Large non-bookfan audience would most likely not watch it

But you'd love it.

First episode would be the introduction starting off with Lews Therin...cut to present age and our cast...ending with the beginning attack.

2nd episode would carry on to the attack sequence with the strangers revealed. When the villagers start the angry tirade against them, Moiraine would hit them with their village origin...cutscene to fabled Manethren and we see it in all its glory, the legendary battle, the common folk rallying alongside the soldiers, up to the deaths of king...then queen even as she burned every dreadlord down. The episode would end with their departure.

21 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

But you'd love it.

First episode would be the introduction starting off with Lews Therin...cut to present age and our cast...ending with the beginning attack.

2nd episode would carry on to the attack sequence with the strangers revealed. When the villagers start the angry tirade against them, Moiraine would hit them with their village origin...cutscene to fabled Manethren and we see it in all its glory, the legendary battle, the common folk rallying alongside the soldiers, up to the deaths of king...then queen even as she burned every dreadlord down. The episode would end with their departure.

Bbbbbbut the attack and the strangers revealed is not on screen in the books, just told by Bran afterwards

Edited by Ralph

Just now, Gothic Flame said:

Need to add a little emotive excitement... It'll all fall right into place!

You'll see... 

You start with just a small change, and you justify that, then another, then another, until you end up with a completely different story from the books

I'd probably make a number of different choices, but the key word is 'different'--not necessarily better. Only two scenes thus far jump out at me as poorly executed:

1. Leaving Emond's Field. I think we really needed another scene between Tam and Rand to solidify the necessity of Rand (and the others) leaving the TR, and to strengthen the ambiguity of Moiraine's and the Aes Sedai's purpose. An extra 30 minutes could have made the first episode really sing, but, lacking that, I think you could shave off a few bits here and there and squeeze out an extra scene to make the ending a bit more natural.
  2. Stepin's Funeral. I thought Lan finding him dead was a very powerful scene and I would have maybe shot that on the balcony where Kerene's ring was melted and ended the episode there. The funeral, in my opinion, lacked the same emotional weight.

I'd also make a few minor design changes:

1. I don't like the look Great Serpent rings. I understand why they're made more obvious, but they're very impractical to wear and look like costume jewellery to me.
  2. The colour-coded Aes Sedai clothing is a big much. I think you could achieve a better visual look using the iconic Aes Sedai shawls.