DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Goin Home!! -Matronas and Bekkar

Sato

As Matronas made his way through the forest he couldn't help but laugh. I'M GOING HOME!!! He thought. I haven't been home since before my howling began. I wonder what happened to the old man who helped me deal with my howling, I think his name was Kaylos Klaymore. Maybe I could look for him on my way home.

For months he journeyed, avoiding any major cities and running out of a number of smaller towns when the inhabitants felt that his eyes where reason enough to cry out "DARKFRIEND!" and "SHADOWSPAWN!" After about twelve such encounters Matronas gave up on traveling from town to town and entrusting Bekkar to take care of himself while he was in the town. ~Bekkar, I think we will just run together until we reach my hometown.~ Matronas told his now half-grown companion. ~ I like the sound of that, Stone Wolf.~ When Bekkar agreed with him Matronas smiled at his companion. Even though he is still fairly young, Bekkar thinks like I do. Sometimes he is incredibly wise, other times he just does silly things typical of a teenager.

As they made their way to Shienar Matronas and Bekkar hunted together, ran together, played together and just generally spent time together. By the time they got word of Kaylos Klaymore Bekkar was a fully grown mountain wolf and the two of them were like brothers. ~This old two-legs saved your life Stone Wolf?~ Bekkar asked. Matronas paused remembering all that the old man had done for him. ~Well, he did. Along with a local pack. The pack fought off the bandits that ambushed and killed all the men that were in my unit and Kaylos came and took me to his hut where he wrapped my shoulder and helped me through the toughest part of my howling.~ When they first got word of Kaylos Matronas wasn't sure if the wolves were talking about the same person he was. ~I am Stone Wolf, I am searching for a wolfbrother that lives in this area. Do you know where he is?~ ~Do you speak of Half Moon?~ Half Moon? He never told me his wolf name, I wonder if this Half Moon is Kaylos? ~Where can I find Half Moon?~

As he followed the directions given to him by the pack he told Bekkar what he could remember of Kaylos. When they arrived at the the place that the wolves had told them to go Matronas was relieved to see Kaylos out in front of his hut chopping wood. Immediately assuming the Spring Mat began sneaking up behind Kaylos, Matronas could feel no tension coming off of Kaylos, he was completely unaware of Matronas and Bekkar's presence. Mat felt the breeze blowing on his face,good, I'm downwind of Kaylos, this is gonna be great! ~Stone Wolf, what are you doing?~ Bekkar asked. ~Just playing a joke on Half Moon.~ When he was less than a pace away from Kaylos Matronas stood up straight and leaned forward towards the old man. "Kaylos Klaymore! What are you doing out here!?" When the old man leapt into the air Matronas let out a loud laugh. When Kaylos turned around he looked absolutely furious, but when he saw Matronas standing there his gaze turned from a furious gaze into a large grin. "Stone Wolf!? What are you doing here?"

OOC: Hows that for a first post?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the two men talked of what had conspired since their last meeting Matronas came to find out that yes, Half Moon was Kaylos' wolf name and that no, there had been no excitement since he had left Kaylos on his journey to the Stedding.

When Kaylos asked him if he had a companion Matronas realized that he had left Bekkar setting out in the forest waiting on him. ~Come on little brother, meet Half Moon~. When Bekkar stepped out of the forest Kaylos grinned widely. "Not very old is he?" The old man asked. "Old enough to hunt for the both of us," Matronas replied. When Kaylos walked up to Bekkar he began asking questions about him and making some comments on Bekkar's health. "Why don't you ask him yourself Kaylos, I can tell from the smells around this place that you tend to sick and injured wolves. So I know you have regular contact with them."

For the next few minutes Kaylos did a full inspection of Bekkar, all the way down to his teeth. After he was finished he turned to Matronas. "Well Stone Wolf, Bekkar seems to be in incredibly good health, although his coloration is kind of odd. Mountain wolves don't usually have any red in their coats and Bekkar here seems to have quite a few streaks of red." "Does that mean anything Kaylos?" Matronas asked of the old man. "No just thought it kind of odd that a mountain wolf would have some coloration typical of a plains wolf."

As the day wore on Matronas told Kaylos what their plan was and Kaylos urged Matronas not to do it. "Stone Wolf, you have no idea how your family will react to this, they may call you a darkfriend and attack you-" Before he could finish his statement Matronas interrupted him, "Or they could welcome me with open arms despite my eyes and my traveling companions. Kaylos, I really appreciate your input, but I need to be going, I want to see my family badly." After much argueing Kaylos was unable to convince Matronas to stay for the night and the wolfkin started off towards his home.

After traveling for about three hours Bekkar announced that he was hungry and was going to go hunt. ~Alright little brother, be safe.~ Matronas said to his companion. As Matronas watched Bekkar's large form go loping off into the night he couldn't help but smile, remembering how small Bekkar had been when he had found him. He has grown alot since then, in mind as well as body, I am proud of him.

Continuing on Matronas walked through the forest. Always wary of his surroundings the wolfkin wasn't suprised when a man stepped out from behind a tree directly in his path. "An what might yew be doin out 'ere all by yourself at night?" The clearly unkempt person asked Matronas. Letting his hand slide towards the tulwar that rested on his back he responded to the man. "Merely traveling home from a long journey, friend. Why are you out here all by yourself at night?" Before the man even opened his mouth Matronas knew he wasn't alone. Assuming The Spring Matronas drew his tulwar and prepared to fight for his life, but before he could even move towards the man he heard a sharp whistling sound and felt something hard strike him in the head, with a wave of darkness following.

When he woke up Matronas's head was throbbing and he could feel ropes digging into his wrists and ankles. Taking stock of his surroundings Matronas saw that he seemed to be in some sort of closet and there was another man in there with him, reaching out to see of there were any wolves nearby Matronas's head felt like it was splitting Alright, so no wolves. Hearing some voices outside of the closet Matronas nudged the other man with his legs until he awoke. Whispering sharply at the other man he told him what their situation seemed to be. "So friend, do you have any ideas as to how we might get out of here?"

OOC: Okay James, lets do this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anton Averdal was a free spirit by his very nature. Since he was a young lad, wandering the roads and exploring the world had been his daily bread. There wasn't a day when he didn't see something new if he could manage it, and he generally did good deeds that weren't too taxing along the way, knowing that if he did good things, such good things were bound to repay him on a later date. Well, that and he liked doing them. Like his wandering, these were also his daily bread.

It had been difficult to get his daily bread for the past week however, tied up and kept prisoner by a group of brigands in Shienar of all places. People when they spoke of Shienarans always spoke about how honourable they were and how devoted their country was to fighting the Blight's advance. Hardly anyone spoke of brigands though, and Anton had to admit to himself he'd been somewhat foolish in thinking that any land could be without such a menace. He'd fallen asleep by the campfire and woken up to find himself surrounded. What saved him was that he'd had few valuables, they'd been trying to think of another way to make money off him. Hence the merciful postponement of having his throat slit.

So it was late one night when a new development occured, that was the arrival of a fellow captive. As the man explained the situation to him, Anton nodded slowly before adding his own knowledge to what had occured. "Sounds like you were knocked out by a fowling blunt, I counted at least twelve men when I was captured, two of which carried bows. They put me in this large box here about a week ago, where I've been let out on the odd occasion to answer nature's call or to eat."

"We're in one of three huts, can't even call them houses. The one we're in is where they store any of their loot, though I doubt we'll find our weapons there, doubtless they're using them now. The other two are where they rest I'm pretty sure, beyond that I don't know. These huts, they're in the middle of a small glade in the forest here, don't ask me how far we are from the trail, I couldn't say."

"If you want out though, I need your help. One time while I was eating, I managed to hide one of the bones. I've managed over time to file it down to an edge, I was trying to figure out how to cut my own bonds when I fell asleep." Grinning wryly though it couldn't be seen in the darkness, Anton groped around till he found what he was looking for, twirling it in his fingers so the edge was pointed away from him, Anton turned back to the other man.

"Hold out your hands, I'll cut your bonds, then you cut mine."

Anton Averdal

Freelander

As Matronas's hands were being freed from his bonds he was contacting Bekkar. ~Little brother, are you okay?~ He asked. ~I am fine, I was hunting when the men attacked you, are you alright?~ His companion asked. ~I am unhurt, I am in the process of escaping, I will contact you when we are out of here.~

As he felt the ropes fall away from his hands Matronas smiled and flexed his hands. "Alright, its my turn now." Taking the sharpened bone from the other man he cut the bonds on the man's hands and then turned the bone onto the ropes around his ankles. Once those were taken care of he handed the tool to the other man. While the unknown man freed his feet Matronas took a look around the hut they were in. "You were right, there are no weapons in here," he said ,"I'm going to peek out the door and see if there are any guards around." Placing his ear to the door he listened for the sounds of guards, hearing the loud rasp of snoring he grinned. Openeing the door slowly he peeked outside and saw two men, both leaned against the side of the hut, dead asleep. Walking back to his fellow captive he updated him on the situation. "It seems our guards are asleep, I think we have found our source of weaponry."

As the two men walked to the door of the hut Matronas couldn't help but fill his pockets with gold from the loot. "Just figured they should pay me back for my inconvience," he said. Looking back at the other man he saw him doing the same thing.

When they arrived at the door Matronas opened it slightly and crept outside, followed by the other man. Taking the knife from the man's belt he placed his hand over the would be guard's mouth he drove the point of the knife into the man's throat. With a quiet gurgling sound the man's life left him. Sorry friend, but nothing is going to stop me from going home. Looking over at the other guard he was pleased to see that his fellow captive had taken care of the bandit. "Lets get their weapons and see about getting our own and getting out of here."

If Anton were a more saintly person, he wouldn't have felt the satisfaction he did at the corpse before him. Quick hands and a simple twist was all it had taken and the man's thread had been snapped, shuffled off the mortal coil so to speak. A thorough inspection yielded a little more of that compensation that the pair had helped themselves to earlier, a short sword and a hatchet. The two weapons paired together rather well, and after a week's captivity at the hands of brigands, any weapon felt good in hand as opposed to none.

"Right, lets check these other two buildings then. Let me go in first, I'm light on my feet."

Leading the way to the closer building, Anton quietly tested the door by pushing it slightly. Relieved to find the hinges were well oiled judging from the lack of sound, Anton slipped inside, motioning for his companion to wait. Moving inside a little further, his eyes soon adjusted to the light offered by the moon and soon enough he was able to make out the shape of his things, as well as that of his companions, in the corner of the room. It was a remarkably odd thing, Anton would've expected their things to be distributed amongst the brigands by now.

Making his way back outside, Anton quietly shut the door before speaking once again in low murmurs. "Gathering our things will be too risky, one thing drops on the floor and they'll wake up. I say we finish the four in there while they sleep, not exactly honourable but if even one raises the alarm we're dead. Their beds are close together, enough for us to take two each in one hit. Besides which, its less people to try and track us down later, and less brigands to prey on others. I need you to help though, are you ready to do this?"

Anton Averdal

Freelander

As Matronas nodded his head at his companion he hefted the hatchet in his hand and assumed The Spring. As a feeling of peace flowed over his body he began to feel the effects of The Spring rise in him. He heard the crickets chirping in the room as he crept in and made his way towards the first brigand. He heard the crickets grow quiet as his fellow captive crept into the room behind him. In the dim moonlight Matronas could make out every last detail of the sleeping brigands as he slowly made his way to the unexpecting man.

When he reached the brigand Mat raised the hatchet over his head and brought it down into the throat of the slumbering man. With a slight crunch the man's lifeblood flowed out and Matronas swiftly glanced around the room to make sure everything was still calm. His companion had already slain one man and was moving on to the next so Matronas followed suit.

Moving towards the next snoring man Mat glanced around the room again and saw his thigns and what must be his fellow captive's things. As his gaze slid back towards the sleeping brigand his ears pricked up at a change in the background noises. There is no more snoring. At the realization of this Mat's eyes shot back to the brigand he was supposed to kill. The man was standing up peering into the dark towards Matronas's companion, who was still creeping towards the last brigand. Letting out a quiet gasp Matronas rushed through the dark and brought the axe back in preparation for a strong swing. Right as his arm began to swing at the brigand the unsuspecting man turned towards him and the instead if simply striking his throat and killing him semi-silently the axe struck the man square in the middle of his face with a loud crunch and the man dropped to the ground.

At the sound of the crunch the last remaining brigand in the room awoke and began to look around swiftly, searching for the source of the sound. When his eyes landed on the three silent forms and the two shadowed figures he began to cry out. Before a single sound left his mouth Matronas's companion thrust sharply with his sword and ended the life of the brigand. Thank the light, if he had cried out then we would have been dead in a matter of moments.

Quickly walking over to the items and picking up his own he strapped his tulwar on his back and took the rest of the items over to his new friend. The hatchet that he had used on the sleeping brigands he kept in his hand. I don't think I'll let go of this just yet, it might come in handy. While waiting for his companion to get all his things together Mat took a quick glance outside to make sure that everything was still as quiet as it had been when they had entered the hut. Good, everything seems to be quiet. I think now is the best time for us to escape. Turning back to the other man Matronas told him quietly that they needed to make their way out, but since he had been unconcious when he had been brought he had no idea how to get out. "So its up to you my friend, lead the way to freedom."

Anton was glad to have his things once more, his stave felt particularly comfortable to have back in hand as it was his preferred weapon, and his other belongings were just as comforting to have back in his possession. Exiting the building with his accomplice, he nodded at the man's words and pointed past the hut they'd been imprisoned in. "If we continue in that direction, we should hit the road after a couple of hours. From there, we can continue north once again. Lets waste no time."

It was peculiar that there were no sentries out, but as they cleared the huts, the lack of tracks showed that the bandits had little fear of being found. The lack of sentries did mean they could get away quicker, and it didn't take as long as expected to reach the safety of the road, despite the night making it difficult for them to pick their way through the wood. Perhaps Anton's memory had been a little faulty about when he'd been taken, or perhaps it had simply seemed like along time. Still, the path was familiar and regardless of how long it had taken, Anton was simply glad to have found it.

At first, Anton had simply put it down to fancy, yet now that the danger was past he couldn't any longer. There was no mistaking the yellow in the man's eyes, not the yellow of drunk who had been sodden for so long that the drink was destroying them, rather it was the gold that Anton was more accustomed to seeing in the eyes of creatures rather than people. A strange mark, but something that marked the man as slightly different from most people he'd met. The bond of trust that the pair had forged had been based on a mutual enemy, that enemy was gone for the moment at least though, which led to Anton reassessing his companion. He hadn't lasted for so many years on the road travelling from place to place without developing some reserve and caution.

Slipping his stave from his right hand to his left, he held his arm out towards the stranger to be clasped as he spoke. "Now that we're clear, perhaps its time for introductions. I'm called Anton, I was heading north to explore Shienar when I was taken prisoner. Perhaps you're heading in the same direction?"

Anton Averdal

Traveller

Clasping Anton's hand in his own Mat grinned in the dark. "As a matter of fact Anton, I am heading into Shienar. I am visiting my family, my name is Matronas Kaladri, you can call me Mat. And this," Matronas said as Bekkar stepped out of the woods beside him, "is my companion in all things mad, hopeless, and desparate, Bekkar." Seeing the look of absolute shock on Anton's face when his large, gray and red furred companion stepped out of woods Matronas began to explain himself.

"Anton, I am what is called a Wolfkin. We are a group of people who can communicate with wolves. We are not darkfriends, and the ability has nothing to do with The Dark One. I don't know whether or not you'll believe me but I've been accused of being a darkfriend enough times in the last few months to suit me for a long while, so if you don't believe me then just walk away and we'll never cross paths again. But If you do believe me then I say we travel together, because obviously things have become fairly rough."

The man did have a touch of the Borderlander in his features, so Anton was able to accept that readily enough. What Anton was not prepared for was Matronas' hidden companion who came to join them on the road. To say that Anton was shocked would be to understate his feelings on the matter. Anton nearly dropped his stave as he jumped back a couple of steps, levelling his stave at the creature. It looked like one of the wolves of his homeland, but larger, and definitely more intimidating.

Before Anton could do anything else, Matronas spoke on further with a disquieting calm at the turn of events. Wolfkin? Dark One? Darkfriend? What is this? He hadn't take his eyes off the wolf yet, in fact, he was unable to break the gaze he had with the creature. It took him a moment to realise why, the same golden orbs that Matronas was graced with were to be found in the wolf before him. He'd managed to stumble across something truly disturbing this time.

Still, his companion had proven himself trustworthy so far and helped him escape. More to the point, he'd need his companion's assistance should the bandits catch up with them. It wasn't to say that he accepted what he saw, far from it, it was outright unnatural. But beggars couldn't be choosers, or so was his thought as he lifted his staff ever so cautiously as he stepped forward towards the wolf.

"You communicate with it? Is it tame? Whoa!" Anton snatched his hand away that he was reaching forward to pat the wolf with as he leapt backwards, barely saving it in the process. "Ok... I'll never do that again. It won't turn savage will it? And this wolfkin thing, its in your eyes isn't it? I thought something was odd when I first saw them. It will do what you tell it, won't it?"

Anton Averdal

Traveller

" No Anton, he isn't tame, and he doesn't do what I tell him. We are brothers so he may do what I ask him to do. But don't worry about him, he won't attack you unless I tell him otherwise, and I don't see any reason to even think about it." Grinning at Anton, Matronas continued answering the shaken man's questions. " To say that it is in our eyes is an extreme understatement. We can hear, smell, and see like the wolves, along with some other things like communicating with them." ~Stone Wolf, I am glad to see you are okay, but now is not the time to be acting like a cub watching a butterfly. There are other two-legs coming towards us.~ Realizing what his companion was saying Mat grabbed Anton's arm. "We have to go now. There are bandits heading towards us."

"How do you know that?" Anton asked. Grinning in the dark Matronas spat out the answer and began to run away from the oncoming bandits. "Bekkar told me."

As they ran through the darkness Matronas kept in constant contact with Bekkar, who was keeping a close eye on the bandits who where chasing them. After almost two hours of running and hiding Bekkar told Matronas that the bandits had stopped chasing them. Relaying the information to Anton Mat heaved a sigh of relief. "Bekkar said they have stopped, it seems like the creator is smiling on us tonight. But lets not tempt the Dark One's wrath, I say we keep going for awhile then stop and get some rest. How's that sound to you?" When Anton nodded his agreement the two men set off again, this time with Bekkar walking alongside Mat. "So Anton, where is it that you are headed to?"

Things have definitely taken a turn for the stranger.

So here he was, running alongside his companion who turned out to be some sort of wolfman of some sort. By wolfman, he meant someone who could talk to wolves, which sounded insane, but when you took into account the golden eyes, and the way the wolf that had appeared earlier had acted, Anton found himself believing. Having said that, if they had been running earlier for no reason, he wasn't going to be happy. After a week of incarceration, the run had managed to give him a pretty unpleasant stitch that he doubted was going away anytime soon.

At least they were taking it at an easy walk now that they danger was past, according to the wolf. How Matronas was able to talk to the wolf when the wolf was nowhere in sight was beyond Anton, but he wasn't going to pretend to understand it. As Matronas spoke, Anton smiled in the dark as he pointed out ahead of him. "Somewhere in that direction. I just visited Tar Valon a little while ago, am going to Fal Moran, never been there before so I thought I'd go see it. Might go further north than that and have a look at the Blight if the fancy takes me, or elsewhere. I have no business at Fal Moran or elsewhere as such though, just going where my feet take me."

"Howabout you friend?"

Anton Averdal

Traveller

"Well, I am going home for a visit. I haven't seen my family in over two years. I was out on a bandit-hunt when my cavalry unit was ambushed and everyone but myself was killed. The only reason I didn't die was because the wolves saved me." Glancing over at Anton Mat saw stark disbelief on his face. "I know it seems odd that a bunch of bandits could take out a group of highly trained Shienaran heavy cavalrymen, but it was night and there were more of them than there were of us. I'm actually kind of worried about how my family will greet me seeing as how I have yellow eyes and a huge wolf following me around. But honestly the person I am most afraid to face is Maddy, she is the girl I was supposed to marry, but I have found someone among the wolfkin that I would like to be with. I hope Maddy has found someone new, I hope she doesn't kill me." The last statement was followed by a short laugh. "So Anton, what do you think of this whole wolfkin thing? Have you never heard of us, you seem like you are fairly well traveled.

Anton digested the information in silence, it certainly made sense though he had to doubt the kind of reception that his companion would receive. If it hadn't been for the fact that Mat had helped him escape, he had to admit to himself he wouldn't have been nearly so well disposed to the fact that Mat spoke to wolves and had one following him around that was larger than any wolf he'd seen before. Then again, it was family wasn't it? Surely they'd be a bit more understanding, but then that was something that could only be answered when Mat returned home.

Thinking about the question, Anton did think of something that came to him. It was a story he'd been told once by the fire at an inn, though he'd thought it no more than fanciful ghost story. "I didn't think much of it, but there is something that comes to mind from a few years back, don't know if it has to do with wolfkin though. In Tear, there was a story of a man a few years back who'd gone wild and killed his own brother. When they tried to question him, all they got was snarls and whimpers, he kept to all fours and was like a wild beast, people who had known him said that wasn't the man they knew. The only reason I remember it now was that he was meant to have golden eyes. It wouldn't be related would it?"

Anton Averdal

Traveller

------------------------------------------------------

When Anton finished his story Matronas's face grew grimly serious. "I'm afraid it does have something to do with us Anton. No Wolfkin is born with golden eyes and the ability to talk with our brothers and sisters, it shows up at later times in their lives, we call it The Howling. Its a sensitive time in any wolfkin's life when the line between feral animal and human being is blurred and thinned. Unless someone is there to help them or unless they are extremely strong-willed then the person may give in to the feral animal and become like a rabid wolf. It is something that every wolfkin has to go through and is something that can sometimes cause unpleasant memories. But luckily I never had much trouble with mine, I had an old wolfkin named Kaylos Klaymore to help me with mine. As a matter of fact I was just leaving from visiting him when the bandits caught me. I'm actually kind of sorry that the only thing you knew of the wolfkin before this was a bad story, but at least you know that that one fellow was an example of something that is very rare. You see, the wolves like feral wolfkin about as much as all of humanity does, so they do their best to make sure we find the person before their Howling takes them to far from their humanity." Looking back at Bekkar he addressed his brother. ~Little brother, can you go see how far it is to the next village?~

As Bekkar bounded off into the woods Anton inquired as to what he was doing. "Oh, I asked him if he would see how far it is to the next village, I figured you would want to go report those bandits to the mayor in the nearest town. By the way, where are you from Anton?"

Anton nodded at Mat's words, they would do well to inform the locals of the bandits. Not only was it the right thing to do, but bandits evading Shienaran Cavaliers would be too distracted to chase them down. As to what Mat had to say about, what was it called, the Howling? It certainly made him uneasy to think that a man could be turned into an animal, a rabid animal no less, yet his companion seemed quite lucid so it wasn't a concern for the moment. It did make him wonder how many other tall tales he had heard over the years had a grain of truth to them. Still, that was part of why he had left his home to begin with, a curiosity to see more.

Speaking of home, that seemed to be where the conversation had taken them. "I hail from Cairhien, though its been a number of years since I lived there. I prefer the road and the trail to permanence, I've yet to find a place that can tie me down. Too much to see and do, and becoming a cooper or a smith doesn't appeal to me. Maybe someday I shall settle down, when I find a nice enough girl, but that has yet to happen. Seems a waste to stay in one place when there is so much to see and do."

"Anything I should know about when travelling in Shienar? I have been told bits of advice here and there, some have told me during the dead of winter, trees can explode from the cold though surely that must be a fanciful tale. Anything you could tell me would be of help, as I still know little of this land."

Anton Averdal

Traveller

OOC: Sorry its taken me so long to post, I'm struggling to post at the moment with all that is going on at the moment.

OOC: Its okay, stuff happens.

IC: When Anton called the exploding trees a fanciful tale Mat couldn't help but let out a short laugh. "No, it is not a fanciful tale. Some trees do explode on some of the coldest nights, but that is because the sap inside freezes and expands. But don't worry, its not cold enough for that yet. As to what you should know when traveling through Shienar. Well, the best advice would be to not travel alone. As you can see the bandits here are kind of tough. They have to be to survive trollocs and the cavaliers. That is really about it, the towns are usually very welcoming to travelers as long as you obey the rules and don't harm a woman." When Matronas mentioned not harming women he was pleased to see Anton nod in agreement. "That is one thing instilled in all Shienaran men from birth, no matter what, you must keep the women safe. I'm not saying that they cannot take care of themselves, believe me, they can. But it is a point of honor and obligation that all Shienaran men uphold." As he finished his last statement Matronas began to smell the smoke of a cooking fire and saw whisps of smoke on the horizon. As Bekkar leapt out of the woods he informed Matronas of their distance from the village. "Alright Anton, we are almost to the village. Maybe you should go on ahead through, I can meet you on the other side, how's that sound?"

Anton was fairly disappointed by the time he left the village. The Captain of the lancers stationed there had been a bit skeptical of the news that Anton had brought him. Granted, Anton was a foreigner, and he was in suspiciously good condition for someone who had been kept a prisoner, and there had been no reports of missing people along the road, and yes he had disturbed the Captain during the man's moment of rest, but Anton had expected better. Perhaps the Captain would think better of it in the morning though, Anton certainly hoped so as he didn't like the thought of continued pursuit. Then again, it was doubtful the bandits would follow quite so far.

As he walked, Anton found himself reflecting on the situation. Mat was native born here in Shienar, yet due to his eyes and his companion he would have found little welcome in the village. More likely than not, he would have been named an aberration and darkfriend, chased out for the inexplicable. It wasn't every day after all that one say a wolf walking side by side with a man, doing the man's bidding and all. It made Anton somewhat uncomfortable to thi-

"Ahh!"

Landing on his face, Anton turned blindly while reaching for a dagger and lashing out to find nothing. Looking about wildly, it was the golden orbs that gave his assailant away. Bekkar was there, the damn wolf's tongue lolling as he undoubtedly enjoyed a good laugh at his expense. Sitting up and replacing the dagger, Anton scowled at the wolf for a moment before smiling, it had been his fault for not paying any attention. If he had been the wolf, he would have done the same thing, though it was odd to see such a human like act as a prank played by an animal. A little more comforting though, if the wolf was a bit like a man then he could understand it better.

Getting to his feet, Anton turned to find a second set of golden eyes watching him though in the dark he was unable to tell if the man was smiling or not. Walking over, Anton spoke of what had transpired. "The Captain was reluctant to take my news seriously, though hopefully the man will investigate tomorrow. My story of escaping singlehandedly was considered a little incredible, I thought it best not to mention you so as not to draw attention to you. At anyrate, what is done is done. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to accompany you to your home, it'd be interesting to see what the country of Shienar is like and travelling in numbers is always safer. If you wouldn't mind that is?"

Anton Averdal

Traveller

OOC: Set it up so you can take it forward to home.

~Nice one Bekkar~ Mat said to his companion. Grinning broadly and barely stifling a laugh Matronas replied to his to traveling companion, "I wouldn't mind at all, Bekkar usually goes off and hunts or plays during the day so it would be nice to have some company. By the way, you didn't happen to get the name of that town, did you?" "Yes," replied Anton, "it was Kingswatch." "Okay, we're not too far from my hometown, maybe a couple of days. I'm so anxious to get there, c'mon, lets go!" Taking off at a slight jog through the woods Matronas realized that Anton couldn't see as well as him in the low light. "We are just going a little bit further away from town before we camp, I don't want anyone to wonder why you didn't just stay in the inn." He called back.

For the next two days the two men traveled through the countryside, with little to nothing happening, Mat got to know Anton a little better and Anton learned a lot of things about the wolfkin. As they were finishing one of their common talks about the Wolfkin Matronas stopped dead in his tracks. "What is it?" Anton asked. "That clearing over there," Matronas said, pointing to a clearing about twenty yards off to their left, "Thats just outside of my hometown! Let's go Anton, let's go!" Taking off at a run the two men went bounding through the woods, Bekkar ran out of a small group of bushes on their left and kept pace with them. After a few short minutes of running they came to the edge of town. It was like just about every other town in Shienar, from the cleared forest for a distance around the town to the wall surrounding it, all primarily in defense of Trollocs. "We need to make our way over to the road," Matronas said, "the watch will find it very suspicious if two men come in from the forest when the road would be so much easier." "So Bekkar won't be coming?" Anton asked. "No, he tried to go into a town with me once and almost got run through."

When they entered the town from the road they managed to pass through the front gate with no problems Matronas immediately began to recognize people and be recognized. "MATRONAS!? MATRONAS KALADRI IS THAT YOU!?" When the screeching voice reached his ears Mat couldn't help but cringe and smile. Turning around he greeted the source of the voice. It came from a small, pretty girl with light brown eyes and shoulder length brown hair. "Hello Jenny." Matronas said with a sly grin on his face. "How are you?" "Oh, I'm fine, but I don't think that Tarin will be, he married Maddy three months ago." Matronas's mind immediately began working on remembering who Tarin was. His mind brought up the image of a young man who was all arms and legs. "Hah! Maddy married Tarin!? Wow, thats a shock, but to tell you the truth I'm happy for them, I think I might have found someone myself. Light! But where are my manners, Jenny, this is my traveling companion, Anton Averdal. Anton, this is Jenny Tase, one of the sweetest girls to ever bless the town of Blight's Bane with her presence."

Looking at the town, Anton had to say that he was beginning to detect a certain theme to Shieneran settlements. He had yet to come across one that didn't have sizeable walls at least fifteen feet in height. It made sense considering, from what he'd been told, trollocs ranged from eight to ten feet, yet it was still strange all things considered. All the trees were always cleared for a certain distance as well so as to make sure that anyone who approached was visible from a distance. He couldn't help but feel a little on edge, he had lived under war conditions before during his youth in Cairhien on and off, yet to think that these people lived under a permanent state of war was disquieting. Certainly, he'd be more inclined to move south and away from the fighting.

Then again, if the danger would only follow you, there was little point in moving away.

They were allowed through quickly enough, they recognised Mat's accent and his presence seemed to vouch for Anton. It was odd that they made no comment about Mat's eyes, or perhaps they simply failed to notice. Yet while the guards failed to notice the eyes, they certainly noticed him as did the townfolk. They weren't even off the first street when someone called Mat's name and came over with the biggest smile on her face. She wasn't too bad looking either, short but petite, shoulder length hair that was brown as her eyes.

Mat seemed oddly unaffected by the fact that his old sweetheart had married in such short notice, but then again people reacted to news in different ways. While he had said while they travelled that he hoped Maddy had found someone else, to know that happened so quickly must surely give him some pause. That train of thought was lost however when Mat introduced them to one another. Anton nodded at the blushing woman with a warm smile on his face as he leant on his staff.

"Good day to you Ms Tase."

"Welcome Mr Averdal to Blight's Bane, forgive me for saying but you don't have the look of a Borderlander about you."

"Cairhienin. I like to go to new places, and I'd never been to the Borderlands before so I thought to myself why not? Passed through Tar Valon on the way from Caemlyn, made it a few days into Shienar before being taken by bandits. If not for Mat, I probably wouldn't have won free of them either."

"Thats terrible! Are you both alright?"

Anton Averdal

Traveller

OOC: Left it so you can either palm Jenny off to Anton to show him around the town while you go to your family privately, or direct the RP elsewhere as you wished by jumping in.

Mat grinned as Jenny began begging Anton to tell their story. "Anton, why don't you tell Jenny our tale while she shows you around town, I'm going to go visit my family for a little bit. Jenny can show you to my house when your tour is finished." When Anton agreed to the idea Matronas bid him farewell and took off towards his home.

Running through the town Mat passed countless people that he had known throughout his childhood and greeted everyone of them in passing. I wonder why nobody has said anything about my eyes yet. Mat thought to himself. As he rounded a corner he came to a sudden halt. There, standing before him was the house that had been his home for so many years. His mother, the kindest woman he had ever known, was standing out front talking to one of the other women of the village, and his little brother was running around in the street playing with some of the other children. Mat stood in the street for a few moments, catching his breath I don't want to look like a bloody fool when I walk up to them he thought. When his breathing had slowed he began walking towards his house. When he had almost reached the house his mother turned and looked at him, it took a few seconds before she realized just who it was she was looking at, when she realized that it was Matronas her eyes grew incredibly wide and her jaw dropped open. "Mother," Matronas said with a large grin, "That is very unbecoming of you." She quickly shut her mouth and and began stammering. "Mmmmattronnas?" She asked.

"It's me mother."

"Where have you been?"

"It's a very long story, some of which I cannot tell you just yet."

When those words came out of his mouth he knew he had made a mistake. Despite the fact that his mother was an extremely kind person she didn't like having things witheld from her. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CANNOT TELL ME!?" She demanded. "Mother, its not that I don't want to, I just cannot tell you ummmm. . .out here."

The scowl that had formed itself on her brow swiftly dissipated as she smiled kindly at him. "Well, why didn't you just say so in the first place, come in darling, have some tea and tell me where in the light you have been for so long."

'If you would just wait a little while mother I have to go out to the forest and get a friend of mine, I will be back in a matter of moments." With a swift nod from his mother Matronas took off through the town again, looking for Anton and Jenny. It took a few minutes to find them but when he did Matronas wasn't at all suprised at what he saw. Anton had obviously finished his story about the bandits and was telling Jenny some tale or another about his adventures, Jenny was hanging on Anton's arm, staring up at him with an adoring gaze. Laughing quietly to himself Matronas called out to his friend and laughed at the sad look on Jenny's face when Anton pried his arm out of her grasp and walked over to him. When he asked what Matronas needed the answer made him stop and stare. "I need your help, I want to sneak Bekkar into town so that my parents will believe my story and not think I'm just some form or another of Shadowspawn. Do you have any ideas?"

Jenny was a nice girl, though quite proper Anton was finding quickly enough. Not like stuffy Andoran formality, more a natural reserve that was enticing in its own right. Anton was working on that natural reserve with one of his stories he saved for such moments when Matronas appeared and pulled him aside. Shrugging at Jenny apologetically, he listened to Mat's dilemma. And dilemma it was because Anton couldn't really see how Mat's idea was possible. They'd just arrived, it'd look odd if they left for the treeline and then returned, especially with a wolf. Even if they put it in a sack, they'd have it searched for certain. Also, there was a large clearing between the treeline and the town, there was no way they could sneak close undetected.

Of course, that is only if you wanted to do things Mat's way. Anton didn't see the necessity of it really, not when there was a much easier solution. "Why are we bringing him here? Why not take your parents out? It seems like a much simpler solution, and far less risky. Just ask if they want to go for ride, perhaps tomorrow so it doesn't seem so suspicious."

"But I said that I'd be bringing a friend from the forest."

Shaking his head, Anton just grinned at the man. "Haven't you had to make up a story before? Just say your friend has gone ranging for some game, he's probably hunting after all anyway so its no lie. You met me from the forest, so thats another option. Either way, I don't see you managing to bring the wolf here, this place is watched by hawks."

Anton Averdal

Traveller

As Matronas listened to Anton's ideas he realized how foolish he had been. I must just be excited about seeing my family again. He thought. "Alright Anton, I'll tell them that he has gone out hunting and ask them to go out riding tomorrow. But until then, maybe you would like to come meet them and have some dinner with us?" When Anton kindly refused Matronas smiled. "I suppose this means you are going to attempt to have dinner with Jenny?" When Anton smiled and nodded Matronas's grin grew. "Alright, but remember, if it doesn't go over well, my home is three houses down from the inn. You can come by or just stay at the inn. Its up to you." With that Matronas shook his friend's hand and walked off towards his home. Remembering something he swiftly turned around. "Oh, Anton," He yelled , "I am going to look for you tomorrow morning, I might need some help in backing up my story." When Anton agreed Matronas took off back towards his home once again. Dreading have to make his mother wait an entire day.

As the sun rose on the town Matronas found himself out behind their home saddling the horses for a ride. When his mother walked out to check on him the look of disapproval was noticeable on her face. "Matronas, I just don't understand why you cannot tell me right now," she complained. "Mother, " Mat replied, "I cannot explain it to you until my friend is present, now if you would excuse me for a few moments I need to go grab a traveling companion of mine who me and my friend met along the way here." Racing off before his mother could say no Matronas stopped by the inn before heading off to Jenny's house, and saw a sight that made him laugh quietly to himself. Anton was sitting by himself at a round table in the corner of the room. Walking up to the traveler Mat smiled and sat down. "So, how was dinner with Jenny?" After drying his eyes at the tale Anton told him Matronas informed him of his plan for the day. "My mother and my father are going to go out riding with us and we will meet Bekkar out in the forest when we stop for lunch. We are going to make a fire and when Bekkar comes out of the woods I will introduce them and tell my parents my story, I need you there more in support of my story than anything else and to show that I'm not crazy. How does that sound to you?"

Lifting his head as he heard a noise, Anton shook his head and buried his face in his arms again, pitcher of water infront of him. Hearing rather than seeing Mat sit next to him, the question he knew was coming was brought out into the open and there was little choice but to explain himself. He was still trying to figure out what had happened, to say that he was lost was an understatement. Anything and everything had gone wrong that night, anything and everything. Admittedly, he did bump the candle onto the tablecloth, but he hadn't realised the table was that unsteady. The scream of shock had brought the neighbours over and Anton was sure he met at least ten to twenty people that night, all of which curious about him and what he was doing there. In addition to all of which, Jenny's sister had come over, and dropped the kids off for some reason. All chances of a good night destroyed, Anton had come back to the inn to destroy his sobriety in turn.

"Sounds fine with me, as long as we've got a decent enough meal to have out there. After last night I need to put something back in my stomach."

Fetching his things didn't take long, though it seemed like Mat's jibes would never end. Making their way to his parent's place, they were relatively quick introductions and soon enough they were on their way. Being loaned a horse was nice, while he enjoyed walking, once in awhile riding was just as handy. Especially after the night before, there was no need to upset his stomach any further. Light, he was so close! Just thinking about it made his head hurt, or maybe that was the alcohol.

That question remained unresolved by the time they made camp, shortly before midday. Mat was explaining to his parents that they'd best make camp and begin lunch before looking for their companion's tracks to find him. The fire took a bit to start but soon enough the flames were dancing on the wood merrily enough, and food was being served. Anton needed no prompting, and soon enough he was soothing that feeling in his stomach. There proved little time for that though as Mat caught his eye, perhaps their third companion was ready to make his entrance.

Anton Averdal

Traveller

When Mat felt the time was right he looked at Anton and nodded. "Mother, father, I would like you to meet someone, his name is Bekkar." "What kind of man would have a name that means blood?" His father asked. The man had always been gruff and straightforward as far back as Matronas could remember. But the question wasn't just on his mind. As Matronas's mother began to say the same thing Bekkar stepped out of the woods and both of the older people jumped back and Matronas's father drew his blade. "Stay back everyone, " the old warrior said, "I don't know why this wolf is bothering us but I think I can handle. Light but he's a big wolf!" Walking up beside Bekkar Matronas put his hand on the wolf's back. "Mother, father," he said tenatively, "this is Bekkar. He is my traveling companion and is like a brother to me." For a few moments it seemed like his father was still about to pounce on Bekkar until his mother stepped forward and looked Matronas straight in his eyes. "Matronas, what are you talking about?" She asked with a slight tinge of fear in her voice, his father had still not sheathed his blade. "Mother, father, please sit down and I will explain everything to you." When his mother sat on a log his father looked down at her and then back at Bekkar. Slowly sitting down the old man grounded the point of his blade into the earth and looked at Matronas. "Alright son, but this had better be a good bloody explanation." Assuming his Wal for calmness in what he knew would be a stressful time Matronas began to tell the story of what had befallen him on that fateful bandit hunt.

" . . . and thats when I met Anton here, after we escaped from the bandits we began traveling together and he has been traveling with me for the past few days. If it is okay with him I would like for him to go to the Stedding with me and meet some more of the Wolfkin, I think that he could do alot of good for us." Seeing the look of suprise come over Anton's face followed by a slight smile Mat guessed that his friend had agreed to go. It had been two hours since he had began and he had finally managed to finish his story even with all the questions that his father and mother had interrupted him with. He was incredibly glad that he had decided to assume his Wal before he had began his story, his father had drilled him with question after question about all sorts of things, from the size of the bandit group that Mat had encountered during his howling all the way to the training techniques that Matronas had gone through before his trip. "Well," his father said while finally sheathing his sword, "it sounds to me like these Wolfkin of yours are a good group of people son." "Yes, yes it does," his mother agreed, "and I'm glad that you found this Aleeza girl, she sounds very nice." "So Anton, what do you say we see about spending another couple of days here resting, and then head out for the Stedding?"

Mat's story was long in the telling, and it was an interesting one to listen to as they had never taken time to talk about it except in bits and pieces. Even though Mat told his story for the benefit of his parents, Anton learnt as much from it as they did. It was quite a saga by the time it was done, the position of the sun when Mat finished telling Anton that a couple of hours had to have passed. It was alot for a man to have gone through, but the pattern weaved what the pattern willed, it was up to a man to determine how they faced what the pattern gave them.

The offer to go to the stedding that Mat spoke of was a surprise, but Anton quickly accepted the offer. It was the sort of offer that didn't come twice, and Anton was always willing to try something new. Besides, he could always come back to Shienar, and would as the place fascinated him. And he'd never gone to the border like he'd wanted to see the Blight, but that too could wait.

"A couple of more days sounds good, I'd certainly like to look around a bit longer and learn a bit more about Shienar before we leave." And that was settled.....

The two days passed easily enough, perhaps too quickly in Anton's mind but he was having fun. He came to know Mat's parents a little better, though more often than not he was to be found around the town taking in the sights and talking to all manner of people. Even better, despite their original mishap of embarressing proportions, Jenny asked him around for dinner the other two nights.

By the time that he said his goodbyes to people he had met, Anton had several letters in hand to take down south with him to drop off, and the knowledge that if he ever came through this way he'd be welcome. Waiting out the front of Mat's home, the sun beginning to crest the horizon, he kept his cloak wrapped around himself as he huddled up and waited. Once Mat was done with his goodbyes, they could set off.

Anton Averdal

Traveller

OOC: Not sure if you wanted it taken that far, if you need me to modify just let me know.

The two days had been a blur, Mat had spent time going around town saying hello to everyone and he even went and saw Maddy and Tarin, the two had seemed very happy, even when Maddy started eyeing Matronas again. When the last day had rolled around Mat said goodbye to his family, telling them that he would try and visit again even though he knew that the Wolfkin would keep him from it. As he stepped out of his home he saw Anton standing in front of the house with his cloak wrapped around him. "You ready to go?" Matronas asked. When Anton nodded the two men set off for the front gate of the town.

Traveling southwest from town to town Matronas and Anton began to become better and better friends as Matronas told Anton about the Stedding and Aleeza, the girl who he liked in the Stedding and Anton told Mat about his adventures and about himself. Anton even had a few lively conversations with Bekkar through Matronas. By the time the two men had reached Baerlon they were pretty close friends. When they set up camp outside of Baerlon Mat informed Anton that they should reach the Stedding in the next day or so. Anton seemed overly pleased at this and the two men layed down to go to bed early as Bekkar sat silently as sentinel over the men.

As Matronas laid down he began to enter the Wolf Dream. When he arrived he immediately went in search of Owen. Finding the man roaming through a field Matronas approached him. "Hallo Owen, how are you? I was wanting to ask you a somewhat important question." As Matronas relayed the story of his adventure home he watched Owen's expressions to see if he could figure out what the Wolfkin was thinking but his face remained blank throughout the entire story. By the time that Mat finished his story he was worried about what Owen might say. "So Owen, is it alright if I bring him into the Stedding to meet everyone?"

Owen made his way through the forest surrounding the Stedding, the quietness of his surroundings seemed to Owen as if the forest was holding it’s breath, so quiet was it.

“It seems they know there is one near who is not of our kind Ice, do you sense any evil near?

The wolf at Owen’s side regarded him for a moment then sent him an image of a cub waiting outside a cave. Owen was not sure if she was referring to Mat or the person with Mat, it was often hard to interpret the images Ice sent him, she was not always as specific as a human would be in her communications and even after all this time together it still took Owen a few moments to decipher what she had said. Obviously Ice referred to Mat, and Owen felt that the person with him was not considered a threat, and being a two-leg was beneath Ice’s notice, she was like that with two-legs who she did not perceive as a threat.

When they arrived at the location specified by Mat, Owen took a few moments to observe the two men, letting his senses pick up any hints about the man with Mat. Owen was not adverse to allowing humans into the Stedding, but only those who were deemed worthy gained entrance, even now with all that had happened with the local population and the Wolfkin’s alliances, it still seemed strange to Owen to see humans in the Stedding. Stepping out of the trees, Owen greeted Matronis warmly, he had been Owen’s student for some time now and the two had got to know each other well.

“I take it your journey was a success Mat, but I have to admit I am surprised that you would request a human be allowed into our home, I think you need to tell me more about your decision and why you want him to see our homes. But first I would like to hear Anton explain in his own words why he wants to see our homes.†Owen turned to Anton and signalled that he should accompany Owen as he started to walk away from the direction of the Stedding. After a short walk, Owen stopped and waited for Anton to join him.

“So tell me Anton, why exactly are you interested in seeing where we live? This would be a privilege granted to very few humans, or two-legs as my friend here refers to your kind.â€

Owen’s words were not said with any malice, or aggression, he spoke plainly, the truth of his convictions evident in his words.

Owen

The White Wolf

Ranger Leader

There was something to be said for travelling with a Wolfkin across the countryside as Mat called himself, between Mat's senses and Bekkar's natural affinity for tracking and hunting, there was no shortage of food though they only took what was needed. One only took what was needed, to take more was selfish and slowed one down besides. The days passed quickly as a result as they headed south, and while Anton had some residual regrets about not continuing his travels in the Borderlands as he had planned, this was an opportunity he was certain he would not have twice.

Anton wasn't sure how many days had passed when they encountered another one of Mat's kind, judging from the man's eyes and his companion. Falling instep with the man as the man signalled to follow, Anton surmised from the questioning that it was this man's decision as to whether or not he would see the Wolfkin Stedding. Depending on how concerned with keeping the Stedding's location secret the man was, possibly him leaving alive as well. There was no malice in the man's voice, but Anton was wary all the same. While he knew Mat, he didn't know this man and he hadn't survived for so long in his travels without a healthy degree of care.

"I've become friends with Mat during our travels, and this place has sparked my curiosity for I've never heard of its like before. Then again, I'd never heard of Wolfkin either until I met Mat, save for a wild story or two shared over a mug. I'm no Jain Fairstrider, but I've been travelling from country to country for years in search of new wo

• 4 weeks later...

Curiosity was one driving factor behind Anton’s request, it would seem, but Owen could also sense hesitation, almost bordering on flight? Owen was not sure that that was what Anton was planning to do, but the sense of hesitation was very strong in Owen’s nostrils. It should not have surprised him, most people who met him, at first, were very wary in his presence, it was not just his yellow eyes that made them so, the total lack of skin pigmentation was another draw back.

Owen signalled to the Mat and Anton to sit on the ground, and then joined them. “It is not so much that I am reluctant to allow you into the Stedding Anton, we have ways of knowing a persons intentions and the simply fact that you have come this far with Mat, and that your arrival here has not drawn any untoward response from our friendsâ€. Owen saw a quizzical look appear on Anton’s face at his mention of friends, but decided that he did not need to elaborate any more than that. “But I would be remiss in my position here if I did not question your intentions. You say you are curious about us, and that I can understand, but you must also realise that there are many people in the Stedding who have had a very difficult time at the hands of two-legs. I have to put my concerns for them before your curiosity, as unfriendly as that may sound from your perspective, unfortunately it is something we have to take into account. Please excuse me a moment I need to talk to Matronis, we will not be long.†With that Owen rose and asked Matronis to follow him and the two men walked a short distance away from Anton.

“I know you well enough to know that your judgement is usually good Mat, but do you really think that we should allow a two-leg into the Stedding?â€

Owen listened to Mat’s answer, a short retelling of the time he had spent with Anton and an appraisal of Mat’s feelings and intuition about him. When he had finished Owen asked him a couple of questions, to help clarify matters, then he and Mat walked back to where Anton was waiting, occasionally they saw him glance towards Ice, who was sat opposite him, totally ignoring him, yet at the same time, making him feel like she was scrutinising him. “Anton, I will agree with Mat’s request to allow you into the Stedding, but there are a couple of conditions you will need to agree to before we can proceed. You will be staying in the Inn we have built, and will not leave there unescorted. While you are staying with us, you will not approach any one in the Stedding on your own, you must wait for one of us to introduce you. As I said before, there are many here who have been badly mistreated before they came home, and I do not want them troubled by your presence in the Stedding. If you agree to these conditions then we can set out now and we will take you to the Inn. You are free to leave at any time, are should not consider yourself a prisoner, or anything of that nature, these conditions are for your safety as much as ours.â€

Owen

The White Wolf

Ranger Leader

OOC: Mat, take the three of us to the inn, do not go through the Stedding, but approach the Inn from the lake, once we are at the Inn, do, as you like.

-----------------------------------------------------

The wolf that accompanied Mat’s fellow Wolfkin was playing with him, of that Anton was certain. Time with Bekkar had given him some understanding of wolves, and one thing he had learnt was that they were in many ways just as quick as humans. This particular game was to see if she could make him uncomfortable. Despite knowing what she was doing, he still couldn’t help but feel a little uneasy. There was always the chance that it wasn’t a game at all.

When Mat and his companion returned, the terms were given and all in all they were quite fair. Interesting that there was no requirement made about him being silent about what he saw when he left, either that was to wait until he was to leave, or it was a sign of trust. Either way he didn’t think that it was the time to be bringing up such questions. “Those terms are fair, thank you for your hospitality. I’m sorry, but I don’t think I caught your name before. Owen is it? Well Owen, perhaps we could proceed onward? Its been sometime since I’ve seen a bed and after so long a drink wouldn’t go astray either at this inn.â€

Grinning easily enough, Anton fell into step with the two as they made their way towards the stedding. Asking only a few questions, he mainly let Mat and Owen speak as they caught up with one another on the finer details of their journeys. Where asked to he filled in holes, and his misadventure with Jenny whilst in Shienar brought a laugh out of Owen, but tales could always be more easily told over a mug, or so Anton was a firm believer of.

Anton Averdal

Traveller

OOC: Didn’t think I was meant to post, oh well done now. Get us to the inn Sato hiyaa *cracks a whip and gets the coach moving*.

---------------------------------------------------

OOC: Okay fellas, really sorry about this, I want this done as much as you guys do.

As the trio began moving towards The Stedding Mat could sense Bekkar going off to greet the other wolves in the area, it had been a long time since he had seen any of them and Matronas could tell by the feelings coming from them that they were shocked at how big he had gotten. "Bekkar is glad to be home," Matronas muttered to noone in particular, "and so am I." Smiling to himself Mat led the three of them around the lake and towards the main community of the wolfkin. "We will go by the inn in just a few minutes Anton, but first I need to find something out."

Stopping some of the Kin that he remembered Mat introduced them to Anton and told them to come by the inn later to hear all about their tale. Mat also asked every person that he stopped where he could find Aleeza. He had been telling Anton all about the pretty young Wolfkin who had caught his eye and his heart before had left for his journey home. Time after time Mat stopped someone and repeated the same things over and over again, always asking where he could find Aleeza.

His search came to a screeching halt when one of the older wolfkin, a man who Mat had drank with many times in the inn me but whose name he could not recall admitted something with a pained grimace that stopped Mat's joyous search. "She's been dead nigh on a month now lad, killed herself in her room. I'm sorry you had to come back to find everything this way, I know you had feelings for her." Mat couldn't summon up any words, his heart seemed to have stopped and he was having trouble breathing. It seemed like hours had past when Anton's hand rested on his shoulder and his voice began to say something. Mat couldn't hear him, he was a thousand miles away in his own world of hurt and grief. "I'm sorry Anton but I need to think on some things," turning around Mat saw Owen standing behind Anton, his face as unemotional as ever. "You could have told me Owen. I will meet you two at the inn at nightfall." Walking slowly away from the two men Matronas stalked off towards the woods, seeking to be alone.

After roaming the woods for nearly three hours Matronas found himself in a sizeably clearing. Drawing his tulwar he began to run through the exercises Owen had taught him before he left on his journey. Searching deep down inside of himself Mat began to search for his Wal, it was something that he had not done in awhile and something he knew that he needed direly. It took only a matter of moments until Mat could feel the peace and calm streaming through his body, it was a welcome feeling after the onslaught of anguish that he had just experienced. Rising from his sitting position Mat unsheathed his tulwar and assumed The Spring, it was easier without his Wal but Mat didn't want to lose the sense of peace that he had found. Stripping off his shirt and letting his long diagonal scar breathe in the air Matronas began doing the basic sword exercises that he knew, slowing becoming more and more advanced in his movements until he began to feel a little exhausted. He then sheathed his tulwar and drew the axe that he had brought with him from his fight with the bandits. Wielding the axe Mat began to do some similar exercises that he had learned back at home before his howling to be used with an axe. After working himself to exhaustion Mat placed his axe back in the leather loop he had sewn onto his belt and started back for The Stedding, still encased in his Wal and The Spring.

When he arrived at The Hole in The Wall he was glad to see Anton sitting at a table nursing a mug. Approaching the man Mat dropped next to him in a chair and called for a tankard of ale. "So Anton, how do you like The Stedding?"

It was a long wait at the inn, but Anton paid little heed to it. Owen had been kind enough to explain why Mat was so upset before he disappeared, and truth be told Anton hadn't actually expected Mat to return that night at all. It wasn't anything that could easily be dealt with, losing someone close... Such thoughts tended to turn inward, and toward one's own past. A good reason to put such thoughts aside and focus on one's tankard instead.

When Mat returned, Anton was just tiding steady with his drink, it was a new place so he wanted to remain somewhat sharp at least. Not everyone in the inn was Wolfkin from what he could tell, he could have sworn he'd seen a couple of eyes which didn't have gold gleaming from them, but the majority were. It made him wonder who they were, family perhaps? Or refugees? He would have said visitors like himself, but they were too familiar with their surroundings to be so.

As Mat sat next to him and asked his question, Anton shrugged. "A little slow so far, but it'll most likely pick up as the night goes on no? There is still alot I haven't seen of the stedding no doubt, but that will have to wait until after tonight. For now its a chance to relax after a long journey."

Pausing for a moment, considering whether to say it, Anton went ahead anyway. "Owen told me after you left. I'm sorry Mat, its a terrible thing to come home to."

Anton Averdal

Traveller