DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why did making the cast diverse have to trump the descriptions of characters in the books?

Peka

None of the characters from Two Rivers were black! Jordan created a varied world, with lots of races and ethnicities. There were people of color in the world, just not in Two Rivers! The fact all shows now have to have politically correct and diverse casts, takes away from the wonderful descriptions and characters traits we have grown to care about. Lan was not Asian...he was a huge blond man, more akin to a Viking. Egwaine had white skin that made her red hair stand out, she was not a black woman. 

I am sure all these actors and actresses are wonderful, but they fall far short of being adequate representations of the characters in the books, which is what us long time book fans expect.. From the looks of the cast they hired a grand total of 2 actors that match the roles: Moraine and Rand. 

Really is a shame....

Call me a racist if you feel the need, I am not,  but I do expect book adaptions to at least make an effort to be true to characters, not cast actors solely based on what our society deems appropriate now.

6 minutes ago, Peka said:

Egwaine had white skin that made her red hair stand out, she was not a black woman. 

This isn’t even close. Egwene has dark hair, not red.  

13 minutes ago, Peka said:

Lan was not Asian...he was a huge blond man, more akin to a Viking.

Again, there is no support for this in the text. 

15 minutes ago, Peka said:

Call me a racist if you feel the need, I am not,  but I do expect book adaptions to at least make an effort to be true to characters, not cast actors solely based on what our society deems appropriate now.

I won’t call you a racist. But I will call you out for not knowing what you’re talking about. If you’re going to complain, at least have some command of the subject matter you’re complaining about.