DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Movie Battle Tournament (Last Round on Page 9)

Emperor

Guest Emperor

Winners so far: Forrest Gump, LOTR, Star Wars, Jaws, Braveheart, Shawshank Redemption, Gone with the Wind, the Godfather, Fight Club, American Beauty, Schindler's List and Raiders of the Lost Ark

Knocked out: Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Matrix, Alien, 300, Casablanca, The Usual Suspects, Goodfellas, American History X, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Memento and Pirates of the Caribbean

Everyone is familiar with the brackets for march madness. Well we will use the same idea to determine The Best Movie in this tournament. Oooo...ahhhh...

The rules are easy. I will post a battle topic... say.... From Justen to Kelly vs. Glitter and everyone can respond and say which they liked better. Once the week is up, I will tally the votes and that movie will go to the next round. We will continue this game until we have a supreme winner!

First up, a Tom Hanks Battle Royal....

Forrest Gump

510018~Forrest-Gump-Posters.jpg

VS.

Saving Private Ryan

189530~Saving-Private-Ryan-Posters.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Emperor

This is a tough one for me as well. (Empy why did you start with such a hard one?)

I am going to go with....errr...

I loved Saving Private Ryan but I think Forrest Gump was just a unique movie experience.

So... I have to go Forrest Gump.

Guest Barmacral

I have unfortunately not yet actually seen shaving private ryan, however, I have seen Forrest Gump, so I'm gonna have to go with that one.

Guest Yveva

I watched both and Gump it is, a much more unique movie.

Now Gump vs. Castaway might be more difficult. We're voting for the movie right? not just the actor?

do we get to know what the brackets are? or are you just coming up with them randomly?

Guest Emperor

Looks like Gump has it and moves on to the next round.

Next up:

The Matrix

Matrix.jpg

vs.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

040_FP0993~The-Lord-of-The-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-The-Ring-Posters.jpg

Guest Cadsuane

That is MUCH more difficult. To take them both as the trilogies, LotR is loads better than the Matrix. But comparing the first movie of each is an entirely different situation.

I'm inclined to say Matrix because it was (to my knowledge) not an adaptation. I really liked what they did with LotR, but the Matrix was more inspiring and intriguing.

I'm going with LotR. For one thing, it had more than just two decent actors in it. Plus, having the earlier Dark City as one of my favorite movies of all time gives me more than just a little contempt for the flashy, soulless, derivative ripoff that is The Matrix.

Guest Barmacral

Based on just the first movie of each Trilogy, I am going to have to say that the Matrix was much better. As a series LOTR was better, but the first Matrix movie was absolutely amazing.

i'll say LotR just to disagree with barm =)

kidding. i love both & agree that the first matrix movie is better in many ways, but LotR was iconic because it did so well. lots more versions could've been made but most didn't dare touch it because of how dense/well-known the books were. which is a good thing, because i don't believe any other interpretation would've done the series justice. with the Matrix - the concept was so good it could've been made differently & it would have still probably rolled.

IHMO, of course =)

Guest Segurant

I'm going to say LOTR. For the sole reason, my sister in law thrashing in her chair when she found it the story wasn't over. "After three hours they still have the ring." Umm Sis the movie ain't over. There are still two more of them. GAH!

Guest Emperor

I am going with the Matrix (now it is a 4-4 vote btw). My reasoning is simple. Matrix blew away my expectations. It is rare that I go into a movie with no preconceived expectations and love a movie. It was new, unique and the fight scenes were awesome. I love Dark City too (we must be those two that love it), but this movie was much better and I do not think of it as a rip off.

I love Dark City too (we must be those two that love it)' date=' but this movie was much better and I do not think of it as a rip off.[/quote']

Roger Ebert loves it too. I think you, me, and him are the only people who've even heard of the movie, though. But blending it with Terminator and throwing in some flashy camera tricks and action sequences aren't really improvements in my mind. Also, I'm told The Matrix was basically a longer version of an episode of the original Star Trek, but I'm not much of a fan, so I leave this others to corroborate.

Archived