DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fantasy Baseball

The Outsider

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Segurant

well I'm a lost cause......if you need to improve your team for that playoff push, check out my roster.

well I'm a lost cause......if you need to improve your team for that playoff push' date=' check out my roster.[/quote']

While fair trades are encouraged, I want to make sure that everyone understands that it is not good sportsmanship to make unfair, one-sided trades to your friends to give them a competitive advantage over other teams. I'm not saying that this was the intention of the quoted post above, but it sounds almost enough like it that I thought I would make a special mention of it. :)

FYI on that topic- if anyone sees a trade proposed that you feel is unfair, everyone has the ability to follow the link in the email notification and protest the trade. If enough votes are against it the trade will be nullified (the votes are anonymous by the way).

Okay guys, I've just seen the trades.... Naughty boys, both of you. Naughty I say! :P

Now, since this is a league for fun and it is no fun for the other teams in this league to have to compete against someone with an unfair advantage. So unless someone REALLY DOES believe these are fair trades (and I would like to see some statistical evidence and a note from your psychiatrist proving your sanity if you do) then I ask that everyone, including the two of you, veto these trades.

Come on everyone, lets keep this fun AND fair. Thanks.

If that was aimed at me...

Jim Thome for Ryan Howard

Thome has more runs 2 less homeruns (was on the DL for longer) and quite a few less RBI's again due to the stint on the DL. His batting average though is higher.

And since Thome's return he's had better numbers.

As for the other trade... Adrian Gonzales has equal numbers to Prince Fielder except in home runs(though who doesn't). And Smoltz and Suppan are both solid 7 game winners.

I found them to be fair trades... I was actually turned down once in a trade for Prince until I updragded it. I wouldn't have offered them if I didn't find them mostly fair.

To be clear, it was aimed mostly at the comment which seemed to read: "I'm giving up, whoever wants my best players can have them."

As far as the trades, I can see Prince Fielder for Adrian Gonzalez as mostly fair, but in Smoltz for Suppan you are trading a player ranked in the 70's (I think) for a guy ranked in the 270's.

I won't argue that Jim Thome isn't a great player either, but he is ranked in the 80's, where Ryan Howard is a top 10 guy (#1 overall in a lot of leagues) In a ten team league that is basically trading a first round draft pick for an eighth rounder... I don't think it's a terribly bad trade though, and I wouldn't have mentioned anything if it hadn't been for the quoted text above. I'm sure you realize how it looks anytime someone posts something like that.

But anyway, as I said before, the voting mechanism for all the trades is meant as the protection for other teams to veto if they feel someone else will get an unfair advantage, so I'll just let everyone vote their conscience and the chips can fall where they may.

Guest Segurant

Personally the trades were fair to me. If you think the trade is unfair, then you have the right to block the trade. As no has blocked any trades so far, then you really can't complain. It's my team and I can do what I choose.

Am I giving up, no, I never said I was. By saying I'm a lost cause means I'm out of running for the playoffs. However I am offering my players to teams that need them. I'm not giving them up for nothing. Maybe this might turn around my team record as the players I have aren't doing me any favors at this moment. I could still reject trades. Suppan was a fair trade as the only setback is his lack of K's but his wins, ERA and WHIP are near Smoltz's stats.

Also if I was giving up I wouldn't even try to field a team.

Am I giving up' date=' no, I never said I was. By saying I'm a lost cause means I'm out of running for the playoffs. However I am offering my players to teams that need them. I'm not giving them up for nothing. Maybe this might turn around my team record as the players I have aren't doing me any favors at this moment.[/quote']

I'm glad to hear that, but I hope you can understand how your previous comments were vague enough to be misinterpereted. :)

Personally the trades were fair to me. If you think the trade is unfair, then you have the right to block the trade. As no has blocked any trades so far, then you really can't complain. It's my team and I can do what I choose.

As League Commisioner I'm afraid my responsibilities go a little bit further than that. Think of me as the administrator/moderator of the league. If I see something that I think can be potentially interpereted as going against Yahoo's rules then it is my job to investigate it and potentially take action to ensure fairness for ALL teams. That being said, having now heard both of your responses to my inquiry, I can say that I am satisfied that both your intentions were good. As I already stated, I'm going to leave it up to the standard league review :)

Guest Emperor

I wasn't in a head to head league, but I know about this time last year I was in dismal shape and in last place. However come late August I had closed in on first place and I eventually came out and won.

I wasn't even aware we had playoffs. I hope someone takes down To Be Determined before I get to him.

I wasn't even aware we had playoffs. I hope someone takes down To Be Determined before I get to him.

I'm in another league with him, and he is leading that one too (and by a decent margin). As I understand it he has been a baseball fan (favorite team: Mets) since the 70's and has been doing Fantasy Baseball for probably 10 years or more, so I fear he may be hard to bring down. :lol:

Guest Segurant

I am glad to be trading my players. I do good for about 5 days then it all goes to crap. right now I'm leading 6-3 but I bet I lose 7-2 or something dumb like that. I have yet to win a series so a fire sale in trades might actually be a good thing.

the free agent list is slim pickings right now.

Am I giving up, no, I never said I was. By saying I'm a lost cause means I'm out of running for the playoffs. However I am offering my players to teams that need them. I'm not giving them up for nothing.

That's true he turned down my first trade for Prince.

Slugfest League - Week TEN (Mid-Week Update)

Scoreboard

The Great Cornholio........5

Wooly's Woolheads.........4

Corki's Crusaders...........0

To Be Determined..........10

Boyo Bombers...............2

Emperor's Egomaniacs....6

DHARMA Dragoons..........6

Connecticut Yankees.......2

mojo all stars................4

Deathwatch Guards........6

I thought everyone was my friend? :? :P

Mojo is a personal friend from RL, but I don't know TBD personally more than anyone else, but he was the person I was talking about last week who is experienced at Fantasy Leagues...

I think the Dragoons have a chance of beating him though. He won last years fantasy league over on the Doctor Who forum by a landslide, though TBD joined the forum last summer so he wasn't in last years league. The Dragoons are only six games out of first in our league, so he could easily catch him for first place.

PLUS, remember that this is a playoff league, not a fantasy points league. I can't remember exactly what week it is offhand, but the top six teams will be seeded into brackets at some point and there will be elimination playoffs.

SO DON"T GET TOO DISCOURAGED WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR GAMES BEHIND FIRST PLACE STAT EVERYONE: you don't have to catch up to the leader ,you just need to catch up to whoever is in sixth place to have a chance in the playoffs! :)

Slugfest League - Week Ten

Scoreboard

The Great Cornholio.......6

Wooly's Woolheads........3

Corki's Crusaders..........0

To Be Determined..........10

Boyo Bombers...............3

Emperor's Egomaniacs...7

DHARMA Dragoons.........8

Connecticut Yankees......2

mojo all stars................4

Deathwatch Guards........5