The Wheel of Time Showrunner, Rafe Judkins, joined Dragonmount producer Kathy and community show host Thom for a live interview.
If you missed the interview check it out over on YouTube.
Here's some of the major points from the conversation:
- Season 3 writers room is finished!
- Season 2 is coming 2023, but don't expect it in early 2023. They still have quite a bit they are working on wrapping up.
- Rafe will be also showrunning God of War, and about show running multiple projects he said -
I've always worked on other stuff while I've worked on Wheel, so it never effect my commitment to Wheel. - Rafe Judkins
- There's fun new technology for season 2 & 3. Season 2 will also have some longer episodes. Changing the story more to get through the story more effectively. Wheel of Time has about 200 pages episode, versus Game of Thrones had about 50 pages an episode. There's more remixing to deliver the story overall.
- When asked about the diversity of the writers room - Rafe said he also focuses on diversity of thought. For example, Celine Song has a family belief of reincarnation and would share with the writers of season one how that belief filters into their daily life. This allows the writers to incorporate those thoughts into the characters.
- There's no organized religion in the books, but strong cultural practices, so they tried to add to the world building in the show with little "ritual stories." For example Stepin, burning incense for the forsaken.
The Wheel of Time is chasing nothing. The Wheel of Time is its own entity. - Rafe Judkins
- Rafe also said that the Wheel of Time fandom is statistically the best fandom. They do statistics on big fandoms, and ours is the best in terms of being kind and positive, the most welcoming. I think a lot of us have felt this, so to hear it backed by numbers feels great!
For more fun details, including what other media Rafe is watching and his favorite Wheel of Time curse word, check out the full interview!